Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

rezatahs posted:

people with food allergies should just die like nature intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

Moridin920 posted:

Way to read your own loving paper, OP.

so fermentable, poorly absorbed, short-chain carbohydrates are what is causing a lot of GI pain for people who think it is the gluten, not actually the gluten.

gingerberger posted:

People who have gluten sensitivities are either actually sensitive to something else in bread (FODMAPs) or it's totally psychological.

I don't understand what new point you're making.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gingerberger posted:

I don't understand what new point you're making.

that your thread title is stupid and also it isn't 'totally psychological'

quote:

In all participants, gastrointestinal symptoms consistently and significantly improved during reduced FODMAP intake,

during a double blind test

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I'm not giving up leafy green veg or apples and peaches so this news doesn't change my diet at all. I still can't have lactose and I still can't have wheat. Thanks science! :eng99:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

the glutens were inside you all along

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

gggiiimmmppp posted:

anyone gave me some gluten free anything and it was vile so i threw it away

ftfy

dark_3y3
Sep 24, 2002

"Identity Crisis" Murderer.
Look I don't give a poo poo that all these idiots are eating Gluten Free when they don't need to. The past 3 years of the 26 years of eating gluten free have been amazing. I have a bakery I can go to, I don't have to go to some hippy store to buy disgusting tapioca bread like products. They can eat gluten free for all the dumbest reasons in the world if it means I can go to the supermarket and have a section filled with me friendly items that don't taste like reheated assholes.

Seriously, if you think gluten free stuff tastes bad now you didn't eat the stuff from 20 years ago.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Theshby posted:

we've all had some good fun, but for serious biological research in general & medical research in particular is like batting <0.5 for replicable results at the mo

gently caress you

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

rezatahs posted:

people with food allergies should just die like nature intended

yup

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

dark_3y3 posted:

Look I don't give a poo poo that all these idiots are eating Gluten Free when they don't need to. The past 3 years of the 26 years of eating gluten free have been amazing. I have a bakery I can go to, I don't have to go to some hippy store to buy disgusting tapioca bread like products. They can eat gluten free for all the dumbest reasons in the world if it means I can go to the supermarket and have a section filled with me friendly items that don't taste like reheated assholes.

Seriously, if you think gluten free stuff tastes bad now you didn't eat the stuff from 20 years ago.

dont be a baby. eat real food

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Libelous Slander posted:

its not the gluten its the simple carbohydrates, Jerry!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

The Wizard of Poz posted:

dont be a baby. eat real food

Power through that peanut allergy!

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

this but ironically

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Op start feeding her gluten foods for the next few months telling her its gluten free. Then tell her the past few months shes been eating nothing but gluten and break up with her.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks OP now I can own that 8 year old that wrote "Gluten Free isn't a fad! It's MY LIFE!" on my Facebook feed.

That fucker will rue the day he crossed me.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i have celiac disease and the whole gluten free fad makes me look like an rear end in a top hat even though i'm not

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I have to take antihistamines after drinking craftbeer. I don't know if its gluten or hops or whatever other poo poo people felt the need to put in beer, but good job ruining a really simple beverage, fat beardy nerd faggots.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

for reals though kill whitey

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

WOAH who would of guessed hippy new age gluten free diets as suggested by the "gluten causes autism" crowd are not only totally loving useless and also terrible.

Celiac disease is a thing though and it loving sucks.

Yup for a small portion of a population gluten does cause lots of horrible side effects but the rest of is the usual hippy scare mongering.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

FordPRefectLL posted:

i have celiac disease and the whole gluten free fad makes me look like an rear end in a top hat even though i'm not

same

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
I stopped eating bread and wheat because it has lovely nutrional content and is terrible for you so I eat only meat, eggs, fruit and vegetables and I have a six pack now, and you could calibrate nuclear test launches with the regularity of my bowel movements, hth

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gorefluff posted:

I stopped eating bread and wheat because it has lovely nutrional content and is terrible for you so I eat only meat, eggs, fruit and vegetables and I have a six pack now, and you could calibrate nuclear test launches with the regularity of my bowel movements, hth

psyllium husk owns too even though it tastes like dirt.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
someone's gonna make a 100% gluten diet in like 2 years, get super rich, and kill a bunch of retards

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

FordPRefectLL posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat and I'm sick of people thinking I have some disability just because I eat like a dipshit

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Maoist Pussy posted:

I have to take antihistamines after drinking craftbeer. I don't know if its gluten or hops or whatever other poo poo people felt the need to put in beer, but good job ruining a really simple beverage, fat beardy nerd faggots.

your human being brain cant handle flavor possibly

there are less additives in craft beer then in commercial beers

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pawn 17 posted:

The rise of the "gluten free" diets came about because many who do not have Celiac Disease do actually feel a bit better when eating gluten free. But as this study is suggesting, that may be because they are intolerant of certain FODMAPs, likely fructans. Fructans include not only gluten, but all kinds of other things like garlic, cocoa powder, nuts, coffee, broccoli and onions.

So with Celiac disease you are allergic to 1 specific fructan, but a lot of people may be allergic to all fructans (as well as other types of FODMAPs).
nowhere in the paper does it say "allergic," rather, higher FODMAP (a type of carbohydrate chain that is particularly difficult to digest) content in the diet was found to cause an increase in reported gas, bloating, abdominal pain.

it's not an allergic reaction, it's from certain intestinal bacteria breaking down food that your other digestive processes cannot, adding to gas pressure in the intestines and leading to flatulence, cramping, and bloating.

Think of beans, for example, which have a lot of FODMAPs. This isn't really new information, either, but the link between non-Celiac self-reported gluten sensitivity and discomfort caused by FODMAP intake is interesting.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what's wrong with a bit of extra gas? i love farting...

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Some ppl must be celiacs, because they existed before the fad, right? I have heard some health-nuts talk about how all carbs are terrible, maybe just limit them?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ohhhh, so it's not the gluten, it's some other molecule that's also found in high quantities in foods containing gluten. What a bunch of assholes those gluten-sensitive people are, not being able to distinguish between which part of their food is hurting them.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Ohhhh, so it's not the gluten, it's some other molecule that's also found in high quantities in foods containing gluten. What a bunch of assholes those gluten-sensitive people are, not being able to distinguish between which part of their food is hurting them.
the important part is that FODMAPs occur in large quantities in many foods that do not contain gluten (so a specifically gluten free diet would only be somewhat effective PROVIDED that the sample group for this study is representative of most people with self diagnosed non Celiac gluten sensitivities)

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
perhaps if they don't know which part of the food is 'hurting them', they shouldn't speak authoritatively about it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

a hole-y ghost posted:

the important part is that FODMAPs occur in large quantities in many foods that do not contain gluten (so a specifically gluten free diet would only be somewhat effective PROVIDED that the sample group for this study is representative of most people with self diagnosed non Celiac gluten sensitivities)

"Somewhat effective" would fool anyone because everyone is susceptible to confirmation bias. We're wired to see patterns, and we will create them even when all the information available doesn't conform to them.

But like someone else said earlier, if I can feel superior without having to do anything, that's fun too.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I bet fodmaps isn't it either. Can't wait for it to turn out to be entirely mental.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
yeah saw this months ago when it was published, it's like whoa you mean to tell me the food people have primarily been gorging themselves on for thousands of years generally isn't bad for us and it's just hipsters and yoga moms being bitches????

also, i have sex with lots of girls

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ppl have been fat for a long time if they eat a lot of poo poo. fat ppl arent that uncommon unless its famine time, historically

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014
white people are allergic to everything good LMAO

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
glutes as a whole sounds like a fat word. That means that it's a word that should be eradicated as per hitler

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

whatis posted:

someone's gonna make a 100% gluten diet in like 2 years, get super rich, and kill a bunch of retards

I thunk theres a Chinese dish that's just big chunks of gluten

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

carbs are bad imo and a lot of research now bears that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

PostNouveau posted:

But like someone else said earlier, if I can feel superior without having to do anything, that's fun too.

it has nothing to do with feeling superior and everything to do with calling out people who are wrong and spreading misinformation

• Locked thread