Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I finally got around to reading a Douglas Hofstadter book. It isn't his most famous book "Godel, Escher, Bach" but a much later book called "I Am A Strange Loop". I figured that I kind of should figure out what all these geeks who like making references to Hofstadter are talking about.

Not to be too negative, but he seems to be really taken with the idea of loops, paradoxes, recursion and "the meta". Its kind of interesting when he is just talking about math, but he tries to explain all of human affairs with his pet theories. After a while he is kind of like Thomas Friedman: only with "recursive loops" as the glib answer for everything instead of "Global Connectivity".

Am I missing something, or is Hofstadter just one of those things that some geeks get excited about that really isn't that great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What's the "Cretan Paradox"?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

redshirt posted:

What's the "Cretan Paradox"?

All Cretans are liars, therefore if a Cretan tells you he is lying, is he lying or telling the truth?

AKA the thing that Captain Kirk used to blow up megalomaniac computers on at least one occasion.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

is dude from Big Bang named after him?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I know a Cretan and he is not a liar.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

All Cretans are liars, therefore if a Cretan tells you he is lying, is he lying or telling the truth?

AKA the thing that Captain Kirk used to blow up megalomaniac computers on at least one occasion.

I've been to Crete, man. Everyone was really nice and I don't think there was constant lying. Maybe a few lies, but not always.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

redshirt posted:

I've been to Crete, man. Everyone was really nice and I don't think there was constant lying. Maybe a few lies, but not always.

I guess it is kind of problematic for me to say that all Cretans are liars, then.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

I guess it is kind of problematic for me to say that all Cretans are liars, then.

Totally.

Now, if you'd said "Russians", right there with you man.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Also, the french. Don't bother asking anybody for directions in France.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
there is no such thing as a paradox and no such thing as a good book

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Lollerich posted:

Also, the french. Don't bother asking anybody for directions in France.

I try to introduce some intelligent conversation in GBS, and what do we get? More racism! :(

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i don't always put them on my salads, sometimes i just eat them out of the bag

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I haven't read any of his books but I read an article on gawker or io9 or something about this and don't strange loops have something to do with overlapping hierarchical structures where there are two equally valid but mutually exclusive approaches? the idea isn't that it's unresolvable, but a sufficiently complex system will organically require and gain a resolution where no objectively superior choice is present.

that was my takeaway anyway

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

glowing-fish posted:

I try to introduce some intelligent conversation in GBS

this was your first mistake

your second mistake was not actually introducing intelligent conversation

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

glowing-fish posted:

When in fact all it does is cause nerds to emit shrill giggles. The eyeroll is our species secret weapon against all of this.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

glowing-fish posted:

I finally got around to reading a Douglas Hofstadter book. It isn't his most famous book "Godel, Escher, Bach" but a much later book called "I Am A Strange Loop". I figured that I kind of should figure out what all these geeks who like making references to Hofstadter are talking about.

Not to be too negative, but he seems to be really taken with the idea of loops, paradoxes, recursion and "the meta". Its kind of interesting when he is just talking about math, but he tries to explain all of human affairs with his pet theories. After a while he is kind of like Thomas Friedman: only with "recursive loops" as the glib answer for everything instead of "Global Connectivity".

Am I missing something, or is Hofstadter just one of those things that some geeks get excited about that really isn't that great?

yeah it's good to know what irrelevant poo poo the other faux intellectual idiots are circlejerking about so you can fit in even better than before. this thread is a really good start on your journey

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Cubone posted:

I haven't read any of his books but I read an article on gawker or io9 or something about this and don't strange loops have something to do with overlapping hierarchical structures where there are two equally valid but mutually exclusive approaches? the idea isn't that it's unresolvable, but a sufficiently complex system will organically require and gain a resolution where no objectively superior choice is present.

that was my takeaway anyway

A Strange Loop is something where following the premises proves the conclusion, or sometimes the other way around. For example, "Aliens control our society secretly but you don't know that they do because they control the media" is a strange loop of sorts. That at least is a practical way to phrase it.

In a more lighthearted example, a paper with two messages on either side "The message on the other side is true" and "The message on the other side is false" would be a strange loop. Sometimes they are funny, sometimes they are interesting, but also there are sections of nerdery that just go wild about them. And Hofstadter is one of them.

(There is probably a better mathematical definition of a strange loop and that is why Hofstadter writes all those big books)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
they're interesting things to think about but ultimately so what

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Moridin920 posted:

they're interesting things to think about but ultimately so what

this is my thought about everything except food and sex.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
the so what is that I get to eat and have sex

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

they're interesting things to think about

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

N. Senada posted:

Have you tried drugs? Not trying to be a bad influence, but that might work at least a little for you.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
Do not read geb it is long and mostly boring and pretty inconsequential cuz he starts trying to explain consciousness by strange loops but relies on ridiculous reductionist images of consciousness and also super stupid out of date ideas about brain function and cognition that only someone with half a real brain would find at all reliable. Ultimately a huge bullshit flop that only won a Pulitzer because most people excited about pop science are completely dumb about real science (surprise) but does include excellent lay explanations of godels work.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

nomadologique posted:

but does include excellent lay explanations of godels work.

Yeah, the straight math parts were pretty interesting to me, and even the parts about consciousness and brain function were pretty good at first. It was more than he wanted to explain everything with those things that started to annoy me.

It is a lot like "quantum physics" and the people who go on about how quantum physics changes everything. Actually, quantum physics DOES change everything, and it is a very interesting lens to look at the world through. But the people who say "quantum physics explains consciousness" are usually just saying something that they think sounds cool.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

N. Senada posted:

drugs also

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

nomadologique posted:

Ultimately a huge bullshit flop that only won a Pulitzer because most people excited about pop science are completely dumb about real science (surprise) but does include excellent lay explanations of godels work.

huge bullshit flop is a pretty tenuous appraisal of a book that's, like, mostly about a tortoise and ants and stuff having thought experiment adventures.
Can you point to one actual example of stupid out of date notions presented therein? Also, what's wrong with reductionism?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The end of this sentence

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Godel Escher Bach is a fantastic work that naturalizes the sciences (ps not natural science)

A strange loop is a tradegy. His wife died, and he never let go, and turned clear thought into some way to bring her back. its real tragic to read it that way, but he basically went all orson scott card except with his feelings instead of hatred for the jews.

He's like a one hit wonder of logic. enjoy what he did right, and just shake your head at the foolishness that was his second book

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sizone posted:

huge bullshit flop is a pretty tenuous appraisal of a book that's, like, mostly about a tortoise and ants and stuff having thought experiment adventures.
Can you point to one actual example of stupid out of date notions presented therein? Also, what's wrong with reductionism?

also to be fair to the book it's 35 years old at this point, so stuff being out of date should be forgiven a bit

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
He literally says something like "90% of brain is grey matter, but everybody agrees that poo poo doesn't do anything or matter anyway only neurons count" and then proceeds. Which I recognize was the general idea at the time, and I can't believe anyone believed it.

The major reductionist bullshit he's guilty of is that "thoughts" occur as symbol-blocks that are ultimately decodable if we just knew the symbol-system (he gives this picture of an ant colony "talking" by arrangements of ants). As I recall, during this section I came up with nine or ten related but different objections to this pretty idiotic model, which may be applicable to some subset of thoughts but almost certainly can't account for the vast majority of them. He also thinks that all thought is finally linguistic, ie if it's not expressible in words or logic symbols it's not a thought. (These two reductions are related.)

The "problem" with reductionism is the problem with special cases, ie special cases represent incredibly uncommon and small-scope exceptions to the general behavior of systems, which is complex.

The book is huge bullshit because everything "new" in it, that comes from the author, is bullshit. Where he reviews old work that isn't his, it's very good. If it was just a lay explication of godel it would be a great book but wouldn't have won a Pulitzer because without bullshit pop about hey the brain is xyz nobody would care or read it (think the popularity of guns germs steel, which reduces the hell out of complex history and people gobble up so they can feel scholarly and never have to think about a certain topic ever again, they already know all about it cuz they read guns germs steel).

nomadologique fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 5, 2014

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Godel Escher Bach was a fun read

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
Hofstadter is cooler, smarter, and sexier than the op

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nomadologique posted:

The book is huge bullshit because everything "new" in it, that comes from the author, is bullshit. Where he reviews old work that isn't his, it's very good. If it was just a lay explication of godel it would be a great book but wouldn't have won a Pulitzer because without bullshit pop about hey the brain is xyz nobody would care or read it (think the popularity of guns germs steel, which reduces the hell out of complex history and people gobble up so they can feel scholarly and never have to think about a certain topic ever again, they already know all about it cuz they read guns germs steel).

yeah this pretty much covers most pop science books, usually the author's own ideas are kind of dumb

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Does he try and say that your perspective and conscious experience is influenced by what your brain focuses on therefore you focus on more of that particular thing in your life and it loops back in on itself?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also lol @ grey matter being useless. Wtf did they think it was made of? Fat?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What's Zizek think?

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I read GEB and I liked it. Maybe you are the nerd OP

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
cretin paradox

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
GEB would be a good book if about 200-300 pages were chopped out of it; he spends way too long digressing into huge rambling sections of "now let's apply this stuff to some other random area of study".

"I Am A Strange Loop" is his better book, it even has a way better explanation of Godel's Theorem in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I literally don't remember the brain stuff in GEB, except the bit about the robot arm, which seemed p reasonable and safe.

• Locked thread