Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
another in a fine line of pop science classics, from frankenstein and plato's republic to the present day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Never read GEB only the follow up anthology and I agree that he does get wound up over recurson probably because he found it was an easy way to meet his word quota

Also I've never seen a "classic" logical paradox that impress me bc they all run basically

- suppose x is an absolutely general fact
- y is an exception to x
- neo-whoa.gif

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
I cain't ....read :(

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Someone had given me a copy of GEB as a gift, so I felt obliged to start reading it. He's really on to some stuff re: computational theory and its many unexpected applications, but then gets totally obsessed with feedbacking systems, which are kinda... irrelevant, really. It's like if a computer scientist attempted to only write recursive algorithms. It's silly.

I also felt like I was way far ahead of him with the theory of computation, so I kinda just stopped reading it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I read GEB and thought it was OK but kinda long.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Gazpacho posted:

Never read GEB only the follow up anthology and I agree that he does get wound up over recurson probably because he found it was an easy way to meet his word quota

Also I've never seen a "classic" logical paradox that impress me bc they all run basically

- suppose x is an absolutely general fact
- y is an exception to x
- neo-whoa.gif

Paradoxes are useful for understanding how logic works, they challenge our intuition which is often wrong. You might hear someone say "the set of all sets" and think that makes sense if you weren't familiar with Russell's Paradox.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
Actually to be fair I think I misremembered his argument which is about glial cells not grey matter: "glial cells don't matter only neurons matter." which is still stupid but not monumentally stupid.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Sorry to get yospossy here but people who get all excited about the lisp programming language like it's the One Ring creep me out

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 5, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Paradoxes are useful for understanding how logic works, they challenge our intuition which is often wrong. You might hear someone say "the set of all sets" and think that makes sense if you weren't familiar with Russell's Paradox.
The only Russell paradox I see is that he's reputed as a great philosopher :owned:

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

glowing-fish posted:

I try to introduce some intelligent conversation in GBS, and what do we get? More racism! :(
The French are a race now?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I have some stylistic differences with the way he writes. His analogies are fun at first, but they get a bit glib and trite.

But as far as the content, the biggest problem is that he seems to believe that consciousness is an intrinsic property of (certain) patterns. He dismisses the notion that biological substances have any intrinsic property that allows consciousness: he says (and I also believe) that there is nothing about, say, a serotonin molecule that "produces" consciousness. But then he says that certain patterns DO have consciousness as an intrinsic property. But I can't figure out why certain patterns, no matter how complicated and self-referential, have to have consciousness as a property. And I don't think it is because I don't understand the technical mathematics behind the patterns he is talking about, because I don't think someone has to know the exact structure of a serotonin molecule to be skeptical that they are somehow intrinsically needed for consciousness. He just presents that these special Godelian patterns are intrinsically conscious.

But I don't want to do too much seriousposting in GBS. My point is more that his entire thing is a lot like other magic bullet theories that nerds have. Just like libertarianism and evolutionary psychology can give us good insights in the world, the entire idea that consciousness is dependent on self-referring patterns is a good insight. But then it gets to the same level of hand-waving, smug nerdery that you get with "Let the market decide!" or "My caveman ancestors from the savanah needed spatial skills to hunt!". So basically I am filing his ideas in the drawer marked "smug nerdery"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

he sounds like a real bitchmade human being tbh

• Locked thread