Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I bought a squad of TPs to do the same thing with marines.
So many marines.

RIP money.
And yeah, the storyline seems kinda abrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010
Pfft, we all know you don't play X games for the story. You play it to build a financial empire, build crazy fleets, and dominate anything the game decides to throw at you.

Oh, Xenon fleet invading? How about I call in my M1 with its 48 fighters! Enemy capital ships in system? Well, good thing you've fitted out your own M2s and M7s, jump them in, tell the AI to attack. Meanwhile, you're in your little M3, zipping around the battle, dodging around the ridiculous capital ship weapons that would otherwise wreck your poo poo up.

Going from a small fry that felt like it was at the whim of an uncaring galaxy, to wielding the a force that decides what lives and what dies, I think that's what X is in a nutshell. The plots just serve as a good way to deliver new ways to outfit and build up said fleet.

Good poo poo so far Leal, show us some cool fights and ships like the Aran. :toot:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Ah dude, that Flying Saucer is new to me :allears:
If I'm not misremembering, it's actually a pretty old easter egg: I seem to recall seeing them a few times back in X2.

Oh and Teladi for profitsss and because nobody likes the Boron. :colbert:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

At least Boron stations are only unpleasant because they have heavy ammonia in their starbaes.

Unlike Teladi who are just too cheap to buy air processors

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

radintorov posted:

If I'm not misremembering, it's actually a pretty old easter egg: I seem to recall seeing them a few times back in X2.

I believe they show up in all the X games and are actually referenced a few times in-universe as a sort of semi-legend. Fan-theories run wild about who exactly they are from Kha'ak observers to the Greys to Xenon spy ships to something else entirely.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Help Atreus. Everybody knows Nvidium isn't actually used for anything.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gothsheep posted:

Help Atreus. Everybody knows Nvidium isn't actually used for anything.

The Kha'ak would approve of your attitude towards the remains of their homeworld.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Neruz posted:

The Kha'ak would approve of your attitude towards the remains of their homeworld.

What? Is that in one of the books?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Random Number posted:

What? Is that in one of the books?

As far as I am aware it has never been officially confirmed that Nvidium is the remains of the Kha'ak homeworld but the Kha'ak definitely flip the gently caress out at people who mine Nvidium and give zero shits about anyone else so there is a relationship there. There are hints and suggestions that the Kha'ak homeworld exploded for some reason and the fragments were spread throughout the galaxy as Nvidium but the game never comes out and outright says this.

The devs have also clandestinely hinted that this is the case, but again never actually stated it. It does however explain a lot about the Kha'ak including why they have such an incredible technological advantage over everyone else.

E: I think in-universe during X2 some characters speculate that Nvidium asteroids are the remains of the Kha'ak homeworld too. I've also been told it is discussed further during Rebirth but despite my best efforts I have been unable to play Rebirth for more than a couple of hours due to boredom.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 3, 2014

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

In X3 reunion when the father of the main character wakes up, during one of the story missions, he says something like "the kha'ak are shooting us because we are mining what's left of their homeworld"... if I remember it right.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Bernardo Orel posted:

In X3 reunion when the father of the main character wakes up, during one of the story missions, he says something like "the kha'ak are shooting us because we are mining what's left of their homeworld"... if I remember it right.

I know he explains that Nvidium is necessary for the Kha'ak young to survive somehow, so by mining Nvidium up you're threatening the survival of their species. I don't know if he ever confirms the homeworld thing though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh also in relation to the UFO, apparently it is a Sohnen ship from X3:Reunion and you can totally capture it if you can get it to bail (super rare and hard but very rarely possible).

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Neruz posted:

Oh also in relation to the UFO, apparently it is a Sohnen ship from X3:Reunion and you can totally capture it if you can get it to bail (super rare and hard but very rarely possible).

I spawned one as mine with the cheat console and I couldn't board it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Random Number posted:

Sad to see. I did read up on it and for whatever reason killing it pisses off the Goners.

Also sorry its taken a while for me to update again, got slammed with work and just now I'm having time to actually play play and not just put the game on, turn on seta, alt tab and do work reports.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Random Number posted:

I might have used a mod but I think you should be able to claim it using Salvage Command Software.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The storyline certainly is a prelude. You just ran around in like, what, a sixth of available space?

I suppose Escape Velocity has spoiled me in that regard.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So ... I don't want to derail the thread, but I can't think of another topic where this could be discussed ... Are there other games like the X series that allow you to build a trading empire? I've tried the Patrician games, and they don't really scratch that same itch to a satisfying level.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Glazius posted:

The storyline certainly is a prelude. You just ran around in like, what, a sixth of available space?

AP was originally supposed to bridge the gap between Terran Conflict and X: Rebirth. I don't know the whole story, and if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected, but if I remember...Originally the game that became X: Rebirth was not supposed to be an X-series game at all. Terran Conflict was intended as the capstone to the series, ending on what was basically a horizon with the Terrans relaxing their isolationist policies and taking a place as a member of the 'galactic community'.

This led to two problems, though. First, people complained a lot that, for a game called "Terran Conflict", there was never any conflict with the Terrans. I think they got uppity with a non-monster species once, but that was the Split, and nobody cares if you gently caress with the Split. Not even the Split care. Second, it left the galaxy in basically the exact opposite situation it needed to be in for the new game. So they released Albion Prelude, basically just to give a big fuckoff war with the Terrans and establish the groundwork for what would be the major gameplay changes in X: Rebirth.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Of course then X:Rebirth turned out to be complete poo poo so that plan worked out well.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Glazius posted:

I love EV, but the plotlines in EV are about as terrible as the plotlines in X3:AP.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Leif. posted:

I love EV, but the plotlines in EV are about as terrible as the plotlines in X3:AP.

They are more substantial than in this though.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

They are more substantial than in this though.

Well, I'm not going to be that quick to judge. The game's original, core plot sucked, sure, but it's still got like, half of it's content left, I think. It might be able to pick things up in the next part.

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
Why are you guys still talking about the plot? Let's talk about optimal station complex layouts and sectors.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I think that sums up this next update

Update 7

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
I'm really enjoying your LP. There are so many cool things in this game, if only it wasn't such a dense pain in the rear end to get to the cool things.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Can you call ships to you with unfocused jumps, or is it just a location for you to visit alone?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Can you call ships to you with unfocused jumps, or is it just a location for you to visit alone?

You're unable to call in other ships, what you jump in is what you get. At best we jump in as a carrier to bring other ships.

So of course this means that I can't bring in other ships to do the mining for me, I have to manually mine the nvidium myself cause having the autopilot do it doesn't work out so well :shepface:

EDIT: I did try to have it autopilot, set it to collect rocks after I blew up an nvidium asteroid and came back to collecting zero nvidium and watching the ship try to pick up some nvidium, detect a small rock nearby and fly off to avoid it.

Leal fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 9, 2014

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Oh man, finding an Aran with no marines on board is heartbreaking. I've been there, man.

For those who don't know, Unfocused Jumps create randomly generated sectors. They can't be jumped to by any other ships, and they stop existing once all player-owned ships leave them. (I actually don't know what happens if you take a carrier there and then leave with one of your ships in the sector. Never tried it.) If I remember, the odds that an Aran will spawn when the sector is generated is about 1/50. That's just the beginning, though. See in the video, Leal just looks up and notices it, but that usually doesn't happen. Aran tend to spawn way, way off of center. The sectors can also generate a lot of asteroids, and this weird 'dark fog' that can make it really hard to see. So actually finding one requires scouring system after system or getting really lucky.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The Aran also doesn't show up on the radar at all, so you have to actually use your eyes and look around to find it. It was really amazing how lucky I was to even notice it, cause I didn't see it when I zoomed out and rotated the camera all around me. If I decided to turn any other direction other then straight up I wouldn't of noticed it, looked around to show off the unknown sector and jumped back out.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gothsheep posted:

Oh man, finding an Aran with no marines on board is heartbreaking. I've been there, man.

For those who don't know, Unfocused Jumps create randomly generated sectors. They can't be jumped to by any other ships, and they stop existing once all player-owned ships leave them. (I actually don't know what happens if you take a carrier there and then leave with one of your ships in the sector. Never tried it.) If I remember, the odds that an Aran will spawn when the sector is generated is about 1/50. That's just the beginning, though. See in the video, Leal just looks up and notices it, but that usually doesn't happen. Aran tend to spawn way, way off of center. The sectors can also generate a lot of asteroids, and this weird 'dark fog' that can make it really hard to see. So actually finding one requires scouring system after system or getting really lucky.

The sector ceases to exist when the player ship leaves the sector and anything you leave behind is lost forever.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 9, 2014

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
Is unfocused jumping and randomly generated sectors something you can do only in Albion Prelude or is it in Terran Conflict too?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's in TC too, iirc there's a short story mission you need to do to get the unfocused jump drive in TC.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Neruz posted:

The sector ceases to exist when the player ship leaves the sector and anything you leave behind is lost forever.

Is the Aran only ever generated once?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

pun pundit posted:

Is the Aran only ever generated once?

Nope, it'll keep generating. I've never seen it generate after I've capped it but people on the X3 forums have posted claiming to have found and captured a second or even third one so I think its just a flat ~1/50 chance to generate every time you jump.

Definitely if you don't cap it it will keep spawning, I don't know if it will spawn again once you cap it though.

The best part about the Aran imo is the story behind it about how the Goner tried to build a secret shipyard, failed and then upped the ante so spectacularly that only a handful of people outside of the Goners even know the Aran exists and most of them think it is some kind of Xenon ghost ship. It's also probably one of the most useful ships in the game; capping it and using it for its intended 'mobile shipyard' purpose to basically be a mobile refueling and rearming station for your fleet is literally game changing. You can pull off a ton of stunts with the Aran that you just can't do without it. The ability to dock a capitol class ship (as well as all the other poo poo it can dock at the same time) is priceless.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Neruz posted:

The best part about the Aran imo is the story behind it about how the Goner tried to build a secret shipyard, failed and then upped the ante so spectacularly that only a handful of people outside of the Goners even know the Aran exists and most of them think it is some kind of Xenon ghost ship. It's also probably one of the most useful ships in the game; capping it and using it for its intended 'mobile shipyard' purpose to basically be a mobile refueling and rearming station for your fleet is literally game changing. You can pull off a ton of stunts with the Aran that you just can't do without it. The ability to dock a capitol class ship (as well as all the other poo poo it can dock at the same time) is priceless.

It can also dock something like 36 M6 class corvettes.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gothsheep posted:

It can also dock something like 36 M6 class corvettes.

The total capacity of the Aran docking-wise is 1 Capital Ship and 29 M6's, with some clever finagaling you can make those M6's Hyperions and have each of them carry 2 M3's apiece for a total of 1 Capitol Ship, 29 M6's and 58 M3's

An Aran kitted out appropriately with this payload can conquer any system in the game without any trouble at all.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 10, 2014

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Neruz posted:

The total capacity of the Aran docking-wise is 1 Capital Ship and 29 M6's, with some clever finagaling you can make those M6's Hyperions and have each of them carry 2 M3's apiece for a total of 1 Capitol Ship, 29 M6's and 58 M3's

An Aran kitted out appropriately with this payload can conquer any system in the game without any trouble at all.

Please tell me the Capital Ship can be a carrier as well. Just have this matryoshka doll of ships pour out of a single carrier.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Nuramor posted:

Please tell me the Capital Ship can be a carrier as well. Just have this matryoshka doll of ships pour out of a single carrier.

I believe (though I've never tested it) that you can dock an Aran in another Aran.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
So if this is the case, and you had the infinite patience to capture an arbitrarily large number of Aran spawns, could you dock Arans all the way down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You got an Aran up in my Aran.

How many marines does it take to capture an Aran? Just one or?

Also, are Terran Conflict and Reunio n worth playing or should I stick to Albion Prelude?

Mostly because I am bad at self directed gameplay. So I have a decent empire in Albion Prelude, but, besides waiting for my 100 marines to train up I am at a bit of a loss for what to do.
Well, that and saving up for an M7 so I can use Boarding pods instead of TP nased boarding.

• Locked thread