Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Works for me. Zululand shall rise again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
This is the Run Lola Run of LPs and I love it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Patter Song posted:

A wins. Tell you what. I'll spy through the rest of the current world in a quick observe game and give you ghost updates.

Then back to Zulu.

What happens if the next world is even better than this one?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

What happens if the next world is even better than this one?

Then we win.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Rincewind posted:

This is the Run Lola Run of LPs and I love it.
I'd rather it be Mr Jinx myself.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I have three updates played, straight to 1882, and screenshots edited. I was planning to update tonight, but I'm feeling a bit tired. I'll try to have edits coming tomorrow.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Patter Song posted:

I have three updates played, straight to 1882, and screenshots edited. I was planning to update tonight, but I'm feeling a bit tired. I'll try to have edits coming tomorrow.

That means we survived at least three updates this time! :toot:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I think we died

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Sampatrick posted:

I think we died

I've been...far busier than I thought this week. (Friend came into town, been catching up with him most nights) I should stop apologizing and update, but I don't see a way to do that for another 24 hours at least.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Patter Song posted:

I've been...far busier than I thought this week. (Friend came into town, been catching up with him most nights) I should stop apologizing and update, but I don't see a way to do that for another 24 hours at least.

We are all ashamed of your lack of dedication to playing video games for the internet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What could possibly be more important than roleplaying as a Zulu warlord on an internet comedy forum? Be honest now.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Akratic Method posted:

That means we survived at least three updates this time! :toot:

Update 1) France shows up. Restart.
Update 2) England shows up. Restart
Update 3) France shows up, again. Patter Song throws the compute at the wall. LP over.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

What could possibly be more important than roleplaying as a Zulu warlord on an internet comedy forum? Be honest now.

Roleplaying as ten Zulu warlords on an internet comedy forum.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Zulu Take Two Chapter I: Four Spears At the Edge of a Cliff (1836-1846)

Déjà vu.

I've been here before.

Ah, yes, I that's right.

It's 1836 again.

The Portuguese are staying on their side of Mozambique. We have another chance. Let's do it this time.

That's the way to start! This event is the unciv's best friend. It fires semi-regularly and gives 8 prestige. It is the quickest way to boost oneself up the buying order and make one's economic position less terrible. It doesn't combine well with Winds of Westernization because Militancy boosts are terrible if you're taking that route, but we don't have that, so there's no downside.

If you're not aware, several randomly-selected uncivs get presented with the Winds of Westernization modifier, in which they can either accept it and get 20% faster research and a variety of events that give them research points at the cost of massive tidal waves of militancy that risk bringing out massive hordes of Reactionary Rebels, or the Isolationism modifier that gives -20% research and massive militancy cuts. On one campaign as Zulu about a year ago, I had Winds of Westernization and at one point my entire nine-brigade army joined Reactionary Rebels, sacking me and leaving me further unciv and without a military. It's a double-edged sword and I'm usually glad to not deal with it.

Dammit. This is pretty terrible, especially in a game that's as Defense-happy as V2.

This seems like a relatively normal world.

...Perhaps not.

That doesn't end the war, though, the USA just changes its goal to "free Texas," which means that if (when, let's not kid ourselves) they win, they get the entire state of Texas including the Rio Grande Valley provinces. This'll work out well for the USA.

On the other hand, because Mexico doesn't have slavery, all the slaves in Texas are now free and the Afro-American pops won't become slaves again even if Texas becomes a slave state. This also means that the Afro-American freemen of Texas will all culture-shift to Yankee, which is...interesting.

Well, this starting war turned out as usual!

AI Ottomans' opening is set like clockwork.

For whatever reason, Transvaal didn't try this last time. It takes many of the Boers living in British Cape Colony and moves them to Oranje and Transvaal. It also opens up a possibility for us...

There are 488 Boers in Zululand. 40% of them have to die for the greater good. As those in the Skype chat will tell you, I was very hesitant about clicking this because it just feels bad.

:(

I never get why AI Russia doesn't go for more in its early wars with the hordes. Unciv land isn't that expensive in terms of badboy. It could take out Khiva in one war, and if it waited a bit, do the same to Bukhara and Kokkand.

It was fun while it lasted, Mexico.

Brazil is formidable.

Again, France could annex Algiers in one go, but chooses not to for reasons unclear.

Siam always seems to get wrecked and I'm not sure why.

Victoria's a bit late.

I'd be interested in a Prussia game that started out with "conquer half of Switzerland because of Frederick the Great's ancestral claims" as an opening move.

That's...not something you see the AI do everyday. Also, fun fact: if Nejd conquers Hedjaz, it can form Arabia. Hedjaz conquering Nejd doesn't provide Arabia quickform, though.

UK and Zulu are best of friends. :)

Easy come...

Easy go.

Madagascar's off limits.

...Dammit.

Like clockwork, I say.

Time to go get our Research Points and conquer Oranje, infamy or no.

That went well.

Flu is the worst of the many terrible diseases. Really populous one state minors are the worst for Flu. I've seen AI Baden almost depopulated due to constant flu.

The Dutch didn't even try for Belgium this time.

...So the thing about the Heavenly Kingdom is that it usually spawns with hundreds of thousands of Chinese soldiers sitting on it.

This time was no exception.

Seriously? I've had an over 25% loss of population since the start of the game.

Good luck with that.

A very unambitious USA.

:toot: I have never been so relieved to see Portugal preparing to invade Oman.

Meet the most useless event in a game filled with some very useless events. Are you an Unciv that borders a Great Power? Would you like a free Humiliation CB against the neighboring GP? Here you go! As far as I'm concerned there is never a good time to use this event.

While we live in a dangerous neighborhood, we are safe...for now.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think I have ever seen Hedjaz expand. I have seen it be ignored for the entire game, or get conquered by Egypt or someone, but I don't think I have ever seen it win a war.

So good job, AI Hedjaz. Now fix your atrocious border by conquering some more.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Did the Gold Rush events fire for your new Boer territory yet? Are you rolling in cash?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Whitewatersrand gold rush is quite a bit later iirc.

To compare stuff, I am generally a lot more aggressive and start justifying some conquest on day 1. Patter Song had hilariously bad luck with the infamy by the way. With a pro military Jingo party as an unciv, he could easily expect to only take a 10 infamy or so hit for it since uncivs are pretty great at getting war justifications quickly.

This is really bad long term because Oranje will be off the table. By the time he is infamy wise safe to go after them, they will very definitly be sphered.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
But patter song already annexed Oranje?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Ups, I thought he went for Transvaal :)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, that's a pretty bad opening as far as RNG is concerned. We didn't get the "gently caress you, dead" roll of Europeans invading, but instead got a whole mess of bad rolls on other important stuff, like generals, infamy and diseases. This could gently caress us over in the long run.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Still! Better to have a long run to be hosed over in than just get crushed immediately!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rincewind posted:

Still! Better to have a long run to be hosed over in than just get crushed immediately!

I have to say, I'm still not sure how much of a future this Zulu will have, but for the sake of argument, if it does end up surviving until 1936 as an obscure backwater "independent" state firmly in the British sphere, I'm not sure how much of a "victory" that will count as.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Patter Song posted:

I have to say, I'm still not sure how much of a future this Zulu will have, but for the sake of argument, if it does end up surviving until 1936 as an obscure backwater "independent" state firmly in the British sphere, I'm not sure how much of a "victory" that will count as.

I have to wonder if Zulu could even become a GP. Westernizing in time to start colonizing Africa is going to be a huge pain.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

theblastizard posted:

I have to wonder if Zulu could even become a GP. Westernizing in time to start colonizing Africa is going to be a huge pain.

It's doable, but even if you do pull it off, you'd need to have enough ports to give you enough colonial points to grab more than a tiny bit of Africa.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A successful Zulu game is 50% luck, 50% skill, 100% power of will

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I don't see how a late game prestige boosting invention like Nietzsche can be THAT important to a Zulu run...

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Patter Song posted:

It's doable, but even if you do pull it off, you'd need to have enough ports to give you enough colonial points to grab more than a tiny bit of Africa.

It may, under some pretty specific circumstance requiring a bunch of dumb luck, be possible to get ports out of Ethiopia/Egypt/Arabia. Frankly, getting something from Portugal may be more likely, but that requires a bunch of restarts.

Good luck holding any of that though.

My favorite Uncivs to play are kind of Punjab (can become a very legitimate GP if you form India), Persia (not quite as powerfull but still serious) or Siam (I think Siam/Dai Nam are the weakest uncivs that can potentially reach GP status).
Dai Nam has better pops, Siam better options. One can semi reprodicibly grab both Johore and Burma before the British Sphere them, then romp down Dai Nam later.
Not such a fan of Johore, the real weakness of playing Johore is that you cant conquer Johore.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
All of these flamboyant strategies meet a rock wall I'll discuss in the next episode. Don't think I didn't have brief-lived fantasies about trekking (poor word choice?) across the uncolonized land to invade Ethiopia or Sokoto, but there's a very good reason I didn't.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Good thing V2 doesn't have an event chain where Mpande makes his move against Dingane and begins a civil war that wrecks kwaZulu beyond real repair.

Or what /gsg/ does and has Natalia just show the gently caress up out of nowhere without giving the Zulu some northern territory like Dingane did in history.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I'd put it at 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Patter Song posted:

All of these flamboyant strategies meet a rock wall I'll discuss in the next episode. Don't think I didn't have brief-lived fantasies about trekking (poor word choice?) across the uncolonized land to invade Ethiopia or Sokoto, but there's a very good reason I didn't.

UK annexed you, didn't they.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Drone posted:

UK annexed you, didn't they.

The time it's taking for him to say yes is making me very suspicious.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ghost Stromboli posted:

The time it's taking for him to say yes is making me very suspicious.

Well, if I answered yes you wouldn't care about the next update, and if I answered no, the suspense would be gone.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Patter Song posted:

Well, if I answered yes you wouldn't care about the next update, and if I answered no, the suspense would be gone.

You got annexed by the Transvaal Republic, didn't you.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Let's do Johore next time so we can at least pretend we have a fighting chance. :ohdear:

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?
A little off-topic, but the /gsg/ mod from 4chan's /v/ thread about grand strategy games really give this game a nice facelift, especially if you've played it backwards and forwards like I have. I'm playing a game as jihadist state of Sokoto and just transformed them into the westernized Toucouleur Empire with a long term goal of reforming the Empire of Mali. The hardest part about being an African nation in unmodded Victoria 2 is that there's not really any room for expansion because the game treats Africa like a big empty continent in which no nation-states existed. As you can see, the only opportunities for expansion as Zulu are the Boer republics and maybe Portuguese Africa if you can somehow catch Portugal with its pants down.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Doesn't /gsg/ have all kinds of weird racism in it? Which isn't surprising given that /v/ is one of the very worst places on the entire internet, I guess.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Rincewind posted:

Doesn't /gsg/ have all kinds of weird racism in it? Which isn't surprising given that /v/ is one of the very worst places on the entire internet, I guess.

the only real problem with the /gsg/ mod I saw while playing it was Greece getting the COMEDY GOLD "Remove Kebab" decision, which is really more a joke about an over used meme than a joke about the actual genocide it represents.

It's still dumb and shouldn't be in the game, but it's worth overlooking for the rest of the mod.

As for the /gsg/ thread itself, I haven't been there much but yeah there probably was all kinds of weird racism in it since 4chan is chock full of completely anonymous edgy teenagers with complete freedom from censorship.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

The Sharmat posted:

the only real problem with the /gsg/ mod I saw while playing it was Greece getting the COMEDY GOLD "Remove Kebab" decision, which is really more a joke about an over used meme than a joke about the actual genocide it represents.

It's still dumb and shouldn't be in the game, but it's worth overlooking for the rest of the mod.

As for the /gsg/ thread itself, I haven't been there much but yeah there probably was all kinds of weird racism in it since 4chan is chock full of completely anonymous edgy teenagers with complete freedom from censorship.

Yeah, just a quick Google search showed people on the Paradox forums commenting on the racist slurs and apparent multitude of "ethnic cleansing" events, so you might be underselling it there Sharmat.

Anyway, looking forward to the update Patter Song! I'm sure it must be frustrating to play as a country like Zulu, where the game really limits your options. I think you did a good job with the Bavaria LP and it would be great to see more of your writing, so I hope you'll continue if not with Zulu then another nation, or even another historically based game. Are you into other Paradox games besides Vicky II (and the hilariously bad East vs. West)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

CatsPajamas posted:

Yeah, just a quick Google search showed people on the Paradox forums commenting on the racist slurs and apparent multitude of "ethnic cleansing" events, so you might be underselling it there Sharmat.

Anyway, looking forward to the update Patter Song! I'm sure it must be frustrating to play as a country like Zulu, where the game really limits your options. I think you did a good job with the Bavaria LP and it would be great to see more of your writing, so I hope you'll continue if not with Zulu then another nation, or even another historically based game. Are you into other Paradox games besides Vicky II (and the hilariously bad East vs. West)?

I'm quite fond of Europa Universalis IV, but it isn't a game I want to Let's Play. No one must know the secret that I'm not actually good at EU4 It's far too much of a commitment to play a 400 year long game.

• Locked thread