Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Or if you can't think of any, recommend some with creepy/weird sex scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Or if you can't think of any, recommend some with creepy/weird sex scenes.

just read asimov? and ray bradbury.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
dhalgren

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Delta Pavonis

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Pavonis-John-Maddox-Roberts/dp/0671720201

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

DONT WATCH THE MOVIE. Battlefield Earth is amazing. If you did watch the movie, still read it because the tards ended the movie less than 1/4 in to the book.

Nice Reddit Account
Nov 27, 2013

by XyloJW

:smug:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

You're confusing Sci-Fi with Fantasy

:dukedog:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

he said "good"

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
2001 a space odyessy
martian chronicles
three stigmata of palmer eldritch

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Actually the sex scenes don't start getting really weird until the sequels.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
war of the worlds
micromegas
blade runner

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

pixelbaron posted:

2001 a space odyessy

yeah i like movie novelizations too, my other favourites are 'predator 2' and 'under siege'

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

zombie303 posted:

DONT WATCH THE MOVIE. Battlefield Earth is amazing. If you did watch the movie, still read it because the tards ended the movie less than 1/4 in to the book.

okay mitt romney

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Forever War is one of the best sci fi novels ever written

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Kelfeftaf posted:

war of the worlds
micromegas
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

how could you gently caress up so bad i mean really i mean jesus.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Never Let Me Go is very good, very subtle sci-fi

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
kim stanley robinson's works are pretty good, especially the mars trilogy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even as someone who likes Philip K. Dick: Just read the synopsis of his stories and you have the basic idea. The man was a much better conceptualizer than an actual writer. Read Asimov if you actually like words and the reading of words thereof.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
Uhh I've only read like 2 of 'em, Snow Crash was pretty cool, had some funny parts to it. It kinda ran out of crazy scifi stuff to describe halfway through the book, but the stuff that was mentioned was interesting to read about.

The other one I read was Ready Player One, it was alright but the only scifi part was mostly that everyone had virtual reality gear and were connected to some Second Life-ish thing. It had lots of references to the 80s and videogames and stuff if that's your thing though.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
I kind of hate sci-fi, but Neal Stephenson is fun to read.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

Kelfeftaf posted:

I kind of hate sci-fi, but Neal Stephenson is fun to read.

Can you recommend any of his other stuff?

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

cant go wrong with asimov op, he wrote good stuff that I think you would enjoy :)

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Fartmaster posted:

Cryptonomicon is really good, probably the best thing he's done, although it's not really science fiction. More of an espionage kind of thing.

I'd recommend Charles Stross for a good Contempo science fiction writer, especially Accelerando.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Piers Anthony.

some real insightful poo poo i totally recommend you just buy all his works as loudly as you can at the book store or whatever you get books from these days before you read any of it because you'll just loving love this guy

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Fartmaster posted:

Sure. As far as his sci-fi novels go, I've really only read Snow Crash and (part of) Anathem. Anathem was well written and funny, though learning all the world-specific terms was annoying. It was also pretty loving slow. His best stuff, I think, is The Big U (one of the funniest books I've ever read) and The Baroque Cycle (a trilogy of novels set in the 1600s/early 1700s -- the books are chock-full of historical information if you're into that). Neither of those is sci-fi, though.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I just read through the Jean Le Flambeur books by Hannu Rajaniemi. They were pretty good. Incredibly strange but in a way that emphasizes how bewildering we might find the future.

Seconding Charles Stross. He does a ton of great stuff but I'm particularly fond of the Laundry Files.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 5, 2014

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

zombie303 posted:

he said "good"
OR weird creepy sex scenes

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Fandyien posted:

Forever War is one of the best sci fi novels ever written

I just finished reading this yesterday, and it was pretty darn good.

homosex

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Mote in Gods Eye is good and features alien sex habits as a major plot point. diddnt care for the sequel however

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Men are from mars, women are from venus

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
Harlen Ellison wrote some goofy poo poo

mistakes at the lake
May 9, 2009
Iain M. Banks is super duper.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A brave new world

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Pendent posted:

I just read through the Jean Le Flambeur books by Hannu Rajaniemi. They were pretty good. Incredibly strange but in a way that emphasizes how bewildering we might find the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAurGIs0lo4

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I just remembered the third, probably final sci-fi novel I read, Roadside Picnic. I forget where I heard about it, but apparently it was the basis for those S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. It was pretty interesting, less technological roboty science stuff, and more alien-y stuff that scientists don't understand. Dudes travel around "The Zone" and find alien artifacts that break the laws of physics, so they nab them and sell them to scientists.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The Dispossessed is a good book and also a creepy/weird sex scene.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Nalk posted:

Harlen Ellison wrote some goofy poo poo

He's terrific at writing good prose. The actual content of the prose is eh.

Neuromancer is pretty fun, though it's abstract at points which I could give a poo poo about. It's a "cyber punk" novel, so if you like the style of Blade Runner, you'll probably find it entertaining.

Mauvais
Jul 24, 2002

HUZZAH
Foundation trilogy by Asimov is a bit dry but the story always keeps you on your toes

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
http://www.amazon.com/Seeds-Earth-Humanitys-Michael-Cobley/dp/0316213985

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dragon ball z volume 5 - 19

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread