Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
If any of you want a break from shitposting about the mentally disabled, the 1% who live in upscale condos, and Lady Gaga, the following is genuinely cool. Genuinely cool NOT as in "this new rocket is 5% more efficient," but as in "this breaks existing laws of physics if it holds up." Cool enough that I think GBS (and not just SAL) might appreciate it.

Anomalous Thrust Production from an RF Test Device Measured on a Low-Thrust Torsion Pendulum
Nasa validates 'impossible' space drive

NASA claims to have tested a propulsion system that generates thrust without using reaction mass. If this is actually a real effect and not an experimental error of some kind (very possible), it could change space exploration forever.

According to classical physics (i.e. Newton's laws of motion), momentum is supposed to be conserved. If you want to accelerate an object in one direction, you have to exert a force by accelerating and ejecting matter in the opposite direction. In space, this is a major hassle, because a spaceship needs to carry propellent that contains both the energy needed to accelerate matter and that matter itself. It's as if an airplane had to carry both jet fuel and all the air that's going to go through the engines. Heavy and inefficient.

There are ways to make spaces rockets more efficient, such as ion drives which accelerate a small amount of matter to very high speeds (as opposed to regular chemical rockets, which accelerate a large amount of matter to lower speeds). But an engine that uses no reaction mass at all is something else entirely. If we didn't have to worry about reaction mass, we could potentially build a ship around a fusion reactor that accelerates at a constant rate within the next century, making interstellar travel practical within a person's lifetime.

The current theory is that this propulsion system, which uses microwaves, interact with "virtual" quantum particles somehow to generate the thrust. Again, there's a good chance this will turn out to be some sort of experimental error like the faster-than-light neutrino debacle a few months ago, but if this is real, then holy poo poo. The future is truly here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

my DICK!! is that thing!

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BKPR posted:

my DICK!! is that thing!

Holy poo poo the space travel implications...

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it's a big deal

except we still haven't figured out fusion power, op, and might not live long enough to do so

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
theoretical physics is just that, and unless an engineer can make what the math says its nothing more than childish fantasy. Grow the gently caress up.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

mookface posted:

Holy poo poo the space travel implications...

i was put off guard tbh, by thrust in the title. i was expecting something scary/sexy.

BodineWilson
Dec 21, 2009

It's looking pretty iffy still though.

They used a 'test article' as an experimental control, which was physically altered so as not to produce any thrust.

Unfortunately it produced as much thrust as the 'working' thruster. Add that to the amount of thrust generated being pretty negligable, and it looks like it's just an artifact of the test setup.

That having been said, I'm still crossing my fingers for a reaction-mass-less drive. If it does turn out to be true, the free-energy guys will come out of the woodwork though, since it really means getting something for nothing.

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.

dontcareaboutname posted:

theoretical physics is just that, and unless an engineer can make what the math says its nothing more than childish fantasy. Grow the gently caress up.

You've got it exactly backwards. In this case, physics doesn't predict/explain what an engineer has already built.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

DareToSlack posted:

You've got it exactly backwards. In this case, physics doesn't predict/explain what an engineer has already built.

ok until its built its just a pipe dream.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
If kerbal and Jeremy Clarkson have taught me anything...

MORE POWER :black101:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
you made me stop shitposting for this dumb nerd poo poo?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

ok until its built its just a pipe dream.

NASA did build one and tested it in a lab and were all "well, it works like the inventor said, but we don't know how."

They even built a model that did nothing as their control to test in the same conditions and be sure it wasn't something in the testing protocol loving up their results. But it seems like it really works.

The next thing they could do is put one in space and see what happens.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

John_A_Tallon posted:

NASA did build one and tested it in a lab and were all "well, it works like the inventor said, but we don't know how."

They even built a model that did nothing as their control to test in the same conditions and be sure it wasn't something in the testing protocol loving up their results. But it seems like it really works.

The next thing they could do is put one in space and see what happens.

you saw through my ruse imagine a poo poo post is here.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010
anomalous thrust can usually be controlled with medication.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

PlantRobot posted:

anomalous thrust can usually be controlled with medication.

Go see your nearest applied physics PhD if your perpetual motion machine lasts for more than 4 hours.

edit:

you saw through my ruse imagine a poo poo post is here.
You can't shitpost away science!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BodineWilson posted:

That having been said, I'm still crossing my fingers for a reaction-mass-less drive.

Wouldn't a solar sail qualify? Though I imagine you'd need either a crazy gravitational slingshot or fuel for the return trip.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

BodineWilson posted:

They used a 'test article' as an experimental control, which was physically altered so as not to produce any thrust.

Unfortunately it produced as much thrust as the 'working' thruster.
and considering they used a pendulum to measure thrust... it would be hilarious if it turned out the device is just asymmetrical and what they were measuring as thrust was gravity trying to correct the setup's center of balance

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

good thing they had a stock photo of space in that article, otherwise i may have been confused by the premise

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
About as real as perpetual motion:

http://space.io9.com/a-new-thruster-pushes-against-virtual-particles-or-1615361369

They made a null device designed to not produce thrust and measured the same thrust as the "engine".

quote:

Now, which is more likely?
1. Eight days of initial tests on a piece of controversial technology in a NASA lab have proven all-new, extraordinary, physics-revolutionizing spacecraft propulsion in a manner so spectacular that the drive works even when it isn't set up to do anything at all; or
2. Somewhere in the testing process is some sort of procedural, mechanical, or interference error producing false results.

In addition it wasn't "NASA" playing with this, it was a few NASA employees, and what they released wasn't a study or a paper but a bulletin asking for comments.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
Shut the gently caress up. I want to believe

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I thought this was gonna be about pelvic thrusting. Disappointed.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
This would be a good starting premise for a movie or book, but real life is never this interesting. I still haven't heard anything about all that asteroid mining that was supposed to create a golden age or something.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Al Borland posted:

I thought this was gonna be about pelvic thrusting. Disappointed.

If I learned anything about pelvic thrusts from The Rocky Horror Picture Show, it's that they drive you insane.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

sincx posted:

If any of you want a break from shitposting about the mentally disabled, the 1% who live in upscale condos, and Lady Gaga, the following is genuinely cool. Genuinely cool NOT as in "this new rocket is 5% more efficient," but as in "this breaks existing laws of physics if it holds up." Cool enough that I think GBS (and not just SAL) might appreciate it.

Anomalous Thrust Production from an RF Test Device Measured on a Low-Thrust Torsion Pendulum
Nasa validates 'impossible' space drive

NASA claims to have tested a propulsion system that generates thrust without using reaction mass. If this is actually a real effect and not an experimental error of some kind (very possible), it could change space exploration forever.

According to classical physics (i.e. Newton's laws of motion), momentum is supposed to be conserved. If you want to accelerate an object in one direction, you have to exert a force by accelerating and ejecting matter in the opposite direction. In space, this is a major hassle, because a spaceship needs to carry propellent that contains both the energy needed to accelerate matter and that matter itself. It's as if an airplane had to carry both jet fuel and all the air that's going to go through the engines. Heavy and inefficient.

There are ways to make spaces rockets more efficient, such as ion drives which accelerate a small amount of matter to very high speeds (as opposed to regular chemical rockets, which accelerate a large amount of matter to lower speeds). But an engine that uses no reaction mass at all is something else entirely. If we didn't have to worry about reaction mass, we could potentially build a ship around a fusion reactor that accelerates at a constant rate within the next century, making interstellar travel practical within a person's lifetime.

The current theory is that this propulsion system, which uses microwaves, interact with "virtual" quantum particles somehow to generate the thrust. Again, there's a good chance this will turn out to be some sort of experimental error like the faster-than-light neutrino debacle a few months ago, but if this is real, then holy poo poo. The future is truly here.

last night me and your mom did some test runs of my anomalous thrust production if you know what i mean

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

last night me and your mom did some test runs of my anomalous thrust production if you know what i mean

My mother is in no way qualified to run said tests, explain yourself

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I bet you could fly this thing right up lady gagas twat

Blahsmack
Oct 25, 2003

hey op youre going to die on this planet you will never get in to space

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Blahsmack posted:

hey op youre going to die on this planet you will never get in to space

Me too! Best case scenario your great great grandkids might get to work a garbage scow in space & die young from space radiation.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Me too! Best case scenario your great great grandkids might get to work a garbage scow in space & die young from space radiation.

Planetes was a pretty good series.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

it's a big deal

except we still haven't figured out fusion power, op, and might not live long enough to do so
real post who gives a flaming poo poo about fusion power, even if it's technically feasible it's an economic non-starter

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Your expectations of gbs are more impressive than the possibility of free energy.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

sincx posted:

Planetes was a pretty good series.

What is this?!

e: oh it's animes

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

OP, I really wish this was real, but unfortunately the control experiment also passed, so basically the NASA bulitin was just saying "we tested it but our experiment was a total wash".

E: where are my manners, I forgot the obligatory dick joke, so I'll just note that your thrusts are as powerful as this device.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

OP is poo poo at understanding experiments, also posting

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

There is no way this is real, but it would be nice.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
hey op i gort a rocket u can ride right here *points to dilznick*

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
seems fake as heck op, gonndolences on ur gbS credibility.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
also seems like dumb nerd poo poo

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ilikedirt posted:

hey op i gort a rocket u can ride right here *points to dilznick*

dont be so quick to judge, maybe NASa can make this work in jetskis so cool guys can do sweet jumps(for the ladies) but spaceships are unnecessary iykwim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Very little has been disclosed about the real Stargate program, so I'd like add to that discussion...
Stargate is real so gently caress yer propulsion system

quote:

Years ago, after watching Stargate, I was fortunate enough to have a lively talk with a very intelligent, highly ranked military officer.

After being told there are many levels of classification, I understood that having a theorectical discussion on Stargate was acceptable to the person.

Already having had a gut feeling what was shown had an unmistakable ring of truth to it, I went down the rabbit hole, so to speak, with them.

While I have no proof of this, and will not reveal the officers name, this is what I gleaned:

1) The Stargate is a real artifact.

2) One was recovered from an underwater location in the Atlantic.

3) The Stargate found was of ancient Atlantean origin.

4) The military made it operational.

5) Missions have been conducted by armed forces of the USA with this technology.

• Locked thread