Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Years ago, after watching Stargate, I was fortunate enough to have a lively talk with a very intelligent, highly ranked military officer.

After being told there are many levels of classification, I understood that having a theorectical discussion on Stargate was acceptable to the person.

Already having had a gut feeling what was shown had an unmistakable ring of truth to it, I went down the rabbit hole, so to speak, with them.

While I have no proof of this, and will not reveal the officers name, this is what I gleaned:

1) The Stargate is a real artifact.

2) One was recovered from an underwater location in the Atlantic.

3) The Stargate found was of ancient Atlantean origin.

4) The military made it operational.

5) Missions have been conducted by armed forces of the USA with this technology.

shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ya seems legit they would find an operating Stargate that looks and acts like the Stargates in the films/tv series that this guy loves and it totally works and only he knows about it.

I mean clearly.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
i think the guy is hilarious

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=247968

multivac
Nov 8, 2011

You're a wizard Harry
Wired has an article answering the most common criticism here: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-08/07/10-qs-about-nasa-impossible-drive

quote:

Thrust was also measured from the 'Null Drive', doesn't that mean the experiment failed?

Lots of commenters jumped on this, assuming incorrectly that this was a control test and that thrust was measured when there was no drive.

In fact, the 'Null Drive' was a modified version of the Cannae Drive, a flying-saucer-shaped device with slots engraved in one face only. The underlying theory is that the slots create a force imbalance in resonating microwaves; the 'Null Drive' was unslotted, but still produced thrust when filled with microwaves. This may challenge the theory -- it is probably no coincidence that Cannae inventor Guido Fetta is patenting a new version which works differently -- but not the results.

The true 'null test' was when a load was used with no resonant cavity, and as expected this produced no thrust:

"Finally, a 50 ohm RF resistive load was used in place of the test article to verify no significant systemic effects that would cause apparent or real torsion pendulum displacements. The RF load was energised twice at an amplifier output power of approximately 28 watts and no significant pendulum arm displacements were observed."

Equally significantly, reversing the orientation of the drive reversed the thrust.

Turns out the experiment was pretty much valid. There's some poo poo about hoverboards too.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
are the laws of physics all wrong?

5 captions that will make you think

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

multivac posted:

Wired has an article answering the most common criticism here: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-08/07/10-qs-about-nasa-impossible-drive

Turns out the experiment was pretty much valid. There's some poo poo about hoverboards too.

That is awesome. Especially the part about hoverboards. We're only a few years from the Back to the Future timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

wired posted:

Cannae drive

that's just 'cannot drive' in a bad scottish accent don't believe them

e: aw poo poo i guess that's the joke

PlantRobot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 7, 2014

• Locked thread