Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Dredd is basically the embodiment of justice and this is set inside some sort of gay magazine british satire of American culture they did in the 70s when they could still afford drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I don't think so, as it's pretty much completely for the benefit of bystanders. The perp doesn't die any slower than if Dredd just shot him in the heart with a regular bullet - an incendiary bullet in the brain stem is pretty humane. But the story will get around about how that guy didn't surrender when he had a chance and the Judge burned his head off.

"he saw the light" would have been an equally badass rejoiner.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
judge dredd and stannis would probably be buds

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I don't think so, as it's pretty much completely for the benefit of bystanders. The perp doesn't die any slower than if Dredd just shot him in the heart with a regular bullet - an incendiary bullet in the brain stem is pretty humane. But the story will get around about how that guy didn't surrender when he had a chance and the Judge burned his head off.

And drat, something is proved today.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
i watched dredd again today and it was as good as i remembered. hope they can find the money somewhere to make another one

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Hot. Shot.

greg sexyvibes
May 7, 2007
IF I EVER FIRST POST AGAIN SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN TO ME
Goons think enforcing any law is fascism. You people are saying he's wrong for having Anderson kill a guy who just tried to kill them and still had a gun! He could have hidden at home, instead of trying to murder a judge. Pretty sure his baby and wife weren't starving or needing to leave the mega block.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
he's fascist the whole comic is a satire of fascism

but it's okay to like him in spite of that

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's one story where like, there's a riot at a block, and Dredd goes in and busts it up and is arresting people and he starts to arrest this guy and the guy goes wait wait no I wasn't part of it I was really just walking by on my way to my second job and Dredd's response is to arrest him because having a second job is illegal.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
lol what did you do to get that title

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

tranime scholar posted:

lol what did you do to get that title

No idea. I didn't even post anything in the Punisher thread about people not getting Punisher.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Isocubes sound lovely as gently caress I think I'd rather die.

DEFENSE NOTED

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
someone paid 5 dollars to make a comic book burn on some guy that wasn't even talking about that comic. i love SA

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

how do we get a sequel made ill help
either that or another fifth element
whatever

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 9, 2014

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

tranime scholar posted:

someone paid 5 dollars to make a comic book burn on some guy that wasn't even talking about that comic. i love SA

If you think anybody on this forum doesn't deserve every terrible thing that happens to them, well

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

If you think anybody on this forum doesn't deserve every terrible thing that happens to them, well

fascist

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

This actually seems preferable now that we are out of those pansy-rear end seventies.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Judge Xavier Goon was a thuggish Street Judge and an antagonist of Judge Anderson: when first met, he viciously beat citizen Rodney Ding for a minor driving offence and was given a pardon as all his actions stayed within the law.[30] He saw Anderson as too soft to be a judge and proudly called himself a bully. In their second encounter, his attitude caused Anderson to attack him (and win). Their one moment without conflict was during a raid on a child prostitution ring, where Goon carried out an execution sentence on Anderson's behalf.[31]

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Also because I'm getting old and don't pay attention to things anymore, it was only like 2 days ago that I made the oh poo poo that was McCoy connection cause I didn't look to see who Dredd was after the movie, that was a fun moment for me.

That bugged me for a couple weeks after watching it. I mean I just knew the voice was someone I recognized but only weeks later did I actually google it and then "aaaahhhhhhhhhhh".

Lady Gaga was pretty good in it too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aavS_XUITXU&hd=1

Dunno if somebody posted this already, but this is a pretty great fan film

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Dredd is really everything The Expendables tried to be but failed at miserably. The Expendables felt like someone set out to make an 80s action nostalgia piece purely for 80s action nostalgia, but then failed to realize what made them so great. Dredd felt like someone set out to make a great action movie that he himself would enjoy, and he just so happened to be a big fan of 80s action.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
i liked dredd cause it was good action and you didnt have to have sympathy for anyone in the movie really, everyone was kind of a dick and teyre all fighting each other
no pesky morals

I hope they make a 2Nd :( http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dredd/30602/karl-urban-calls-for-dredd-2-kickstarter

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Dredd is really everything The Expendables tried to be but failed at miserably. The Expendables felt like someone set out to make an 80s action nostalgia piece purely for 80s action nostalgia, but then failed to realize what made them so great. Dredd felt like someone set out to make a great action movie that he himself would enjoy, and he just so happened to be a big fan of 80s action.

Yeah if anything if feels like a old Carpenter film due to the straightforward plot and also how it doesn't feel the need to spend lots of screen time on world building/exposition.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
i couldnt make it through expendables, it felt like they were actually trying to make you think those old fucks were actually strong bad asses, like they bought into their own dumb gimmick

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Drunk & Ugly posted:

i liked dredd cause it was good action and you didnt have to have sympathy for anyone in the movie really, everyone was kind of a dick and teyre all fighting each other
no pesky morals

I hope they make a 2Nd :( http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dredd/30602/karl-urban-calls-for-dredd-2-kickstarter

quote:

...As ComicBook reports, Urban was always insistent that Dredd's mask would stay on...

I always appreciated that they never felt the need to remove the mask just to give the actor more facetime, and now its even better knowing that the actor himself is the one that insisted on it. I suddenly have a great respect for Karl Urban

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

I always appreciated that they never felt the need to remove the mask just to give the actor more facetime, and now I like that even more knowing that the actor himself is the one that insisted on it. I suddenly have a great respect for Karl Urban

the helmet is a pretty important part of the character and also sells the dystopian nature of the world.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Someone shouldve told this guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Best thing about Dredd is Stallone shouting "These blocks are under arrest!"

Worst thing is the movie not ending there.

• Locked thread