Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
it has heads exploding

awesome slo mo

beautiful colors

an effortlessly cool and interesting female villain

etc. etc.

it's pretty much the best movie Paul Verhoeven never made, only if Paul Verhoeven took a bunch of drugs or hired Benoît Debie as his cinematographer. also it doesn't gently caress around like most superhero movies and gets in and out in only 90 minutes. there's no bullshit love story or brooding grimdark psych-drama, he's just a fascist cop who kills people really well and we get a day in the life of him killing people real well. so of course we're getting like eighteen Marvel movies in the next five years and every five year period until the day we die while a Dredd sequel is an improbability.

seriously why would anybody rather watch The Avengers or w/e (which I like okay) instead of this, you don't even have to get all pretentious and talk about the movies' politics, all you have to do is point out that this movie is hard-R and gets to blow poo poo up way more graphically. when did people stop liking that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I wish it made enough money so that the director could have pursued his Judge Death sequel

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Dredd owns, got shafted due to coming out at the same time as The Raid which had almost the exact same plot.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Dredd was really good, absurdly good. I am hard pressed to think of a better superhero or comic film. (As long as Robocop doesn't count) I would say there are scenes and bits of The Watchmen that I like more but as a whole film that one is much worse than Dredd. Even the best Marvel films have not felt as on point as Dredd, that is a ruthlessly efficient film.

Also because I'm getting old and don't pay attention to things anymore, it was only like 2 days ago that I made the oh poo poo that was McCoy connection cause I didn't look to see who Dredd was after the movie, that was a fun moment for me.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 5, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wurzag posted:

Dredd owns, got shafted due to coming out at the same time as The Raid which had almost the exact same plot.

Nah, basically nobody saw The Raid in America anyway (which is a pity, because it also owns)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I remember a film critic saying that this would probably become a cult classic despite its poor showing at the cinemas

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014
there's no such thing as a good superhero movie

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
dredd was great

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I'll stick with the Stallone version, thank you very much.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wurzag posted:

Raid made like $5 million. Nobody went to see it (which is sad because it owns).

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Loved the movie but the ending was a tad :downs:. What was Mama thinking? He could have simply shot her in the kneecaps and take her in.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

clicked this thread thinking "this nigga better be talking bout the karl urban one"

and I was right

also smh @ not having the best scene in the op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiQoN1-Ks6Q

incendiary

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 5, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I tried watching the Stallone version a few days ago and it was loving awful. That was after a marathon of Stallone movies which were comparatively good.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dredd was great. I agree OP.

I think part of the problem is that audiences don't know how to deal with the Dredd character. People like vigilantes and superheroes but not police. Popular cop characters tend to be cops who don't follow the rules, or get cut off from the chain of command (like Die Hard), but Dredd follows the rules precisely.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

judge dredd isnt a superhero. close thread

Valk
Aug 12, 2011

PhantomBowie tapped this @$$

bunky posted:

judge dredd isnt a superhero. close thread

defense noted

*gives u slo mo and throws u off megablock*

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

88h88 posted:

Raid made like $5 million. Nobody went to see it (which is sad because it owns).

Plus I remember buying it on blu-ray in mid-July. Dredd didn't come into theaters until September, which is only second to January for a box-office dead zone.

The Stallone movie hurt Dredd way more than anything.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

being r-rated did also limit its returns. You can make a smash hit R-Rated film, but there's a reason none of :nolan: or the marvel films have been

Omi-Polari posted:

Dredd was great. I agree OP.

I think part of the problem is that audiences don't know how to deal with the Dredd character. People like vigilantes and superheroes but not police. Popular cop characters tend to be cops who don't follow the rules, or get cut off from the chain of command (like Die Hard), but Dredd follows the rules precisely.

he was cut off from the chain of command though

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

he was cut off from the chain of command though
oh yeah. well, he is still "the law" though.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
It was gross. I almost threw up a couple of times watching it. Best superhero movie is Unbreakable.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Yeah, Dredd was alot of fun.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

When the girl cop reads his mind and said that she sensed something "deeper", when the camera cut to Dredd I thought to myself "JUSTICE."

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
op, i take it you have never seen a little film called "The Watchmen"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's also got a great soundtrack.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like the scene with the three miniguns just tearing up the place

good movie good thread would read again

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
it is not only a good comic movie but an amazing action film

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I thought the Watchmen movie was pretty bad. Wooden, stilted delivery.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
Great movie. Only complaint is I wish magic brain lady would have melted the rapists brain.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

There aren't enough faces exploding in the watchmen.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Dredd also has the best one-liners since Arnold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzs5nuGNpg

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

I thought the Watchmen movie was pretty bad. Wooden, stilted delivery.

Watchmen was a 3hour long borefest with 3 awful sex scenes and the 'baddest' guy in the film was a short ginger dude missing words out of sentences to sound like a comicbook hero.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

88h88 posted:

Watchmen was a 3hour long borefest with 3 awful sex scenes and the 'baddest' guy in the film was a short ginger dude missing words out of sentences to sound like a comicbook hero.

Yep. I also thought that it was the worse off for being EXACTLY like the comic)except for the ending and a couple other bits), as in word for word, scene for scene. Some things just don't translate well from page to screen.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

My only complaint about Dredd, was Dredd should have shot those kids, because at this point in Dredd's overall story he's an unrepentant fascist who is THE LAW!!!

Great movie. It's on Netflix.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yep. I also thought that it was the worse off for being EXACTLY like the comic)except for the ending and a couple other bits), as in word for word, scene for scene. Some things just don't translate well from page to screen.

there's a massive difference in how the film handles violence compared to the comic, and it's part of why it failed as an adaptation

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Dredd was some of the most fun I have had at a movie theater in years.

OP did not mention one of my favorite scenes, baiting a dozen or so gang members and then setting them on fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiQoN1-Ks6Q

I loved the scene where Dredd gets shots and his expression never changes. He then just staples the wound closed.

Everyone and Everything in this movie was great. I want a Dredd sequel really bad, but I doubt we will get one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

I didn't care about any of the characters at any point, it was 3 hours long and all I got from it was Manhattan is bored and skinny fast man wanted to destroy the world for some reason. All the other cast could've been from the back of the huge fight in Kickass 2 for how much they seemed to matter. Just a bunch of people wearing spandex and vinyl fighting random hoodlums in the street.

Why was it 3 hours long for what amounted to a few boring fights?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Reason it failed was because they put "3D" right in the title.

Shouldn't have done it.

Great film, though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I agree actually, DREDD was easily one of the best comic book movies released in the last few years. It's tight and compact and probably won't blow your mind but it was just super solid all around. It's especially impressive considering their meager budget compared to poo poo like the marvel or dc films

gently caress you if you didn't go see it because it sold poorly and now we're not gonna get sequels :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Sorry man, I just don't go to the movies anymore. I think the last one I saw was Iron Man 2, and that was because a friend wanted to see it.

• Locked thread