Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

redshirt posted:

LOL.

Goons hate Star Wars, The Matrix, Batman, Superman, every popular movie, but uniformly love the box office dud "Judge Dredd".

Goons!

I hate this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

redshirt posted:

LOL.

Goons hate Star Wars, The Matrix, Batman, Superman, every popular movie, but uniformly love the box office dud "Judge Dredd".

Goons!

We hate Star Trek too you dork.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

LOL.

Goons!
No I think we all hate box office dud Judge Dredd.

Dr3dd (eh), on the other hand, fantastic.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
was superman actually popular? and does anyone actually defend the matrix sequels?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

LOL.

Goons!

To be fair, most goons don't hate The Matrix. They hate The Matrix sequels, which contained enough good material for a single car chase between both of them. So kinda deserved.

Also goons don't hate Superman, they hate the new Superman. Which is because it was a really lovely movie brimming with more advertisements than a 90s Geocities page.

ED: Well some people might hate The Matrix because the sequels made them hate it. When I watched it again years after Revolutions, I realized just how different and not at all the first one is like the others.. it's shot like a freaking Film Noir and has less than 27 seconds of bullet time in the whole film. Oh yeah, gently caress the Wichkowskis for adding that vomit-green tone to the movie re-release.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 5, 2014

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tujague posted:

Jesus shut the gently caress up
What the gently caress is the matter with you

Apparently he thinks being an adult means you have to work on your taxes full time after work or something, I honestly have no loving clue. I see far more movies now as an adult than I did in my early teens due to having money. Late teens don't count because I worked at the movies so got in free :sun:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

redshirt posted:

LOL.

Goons!

New star wars movies were garbage, the entire matrix series was dumb as gently caress, the last batman movie was retarded, and a good superman movie doesn't exist because the character is lame. I mean one of the highest grossing movies of all time was Titanic. That really says everything you need to know about quality vs box office smash.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

my favorite memory of this movie is watching it with my mom and brother, after dredd doses mama with the slowmo and throws her off, after she splats, my brother turns to my mom and says "he gave her the stuff to slow her heart down so she'd reach the bottom" and my mom doesn't miss a beat and says "no he gave her the stuff because he's as much a monster as she is"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the frown though

the frown sells the whole thing

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Rhymenoserous posted:

Apparently he thinks being an adult means you have to work on your taxes full time after work or something, I honestly have no loving clue. I see far more movies now as an adult than I did in my early teens due to having money. Late teens don't count because I worked at the movies so got in free :sun:

I think you are making this to be way more than it is. I , personally, do not have as near much free time, or the inclination, as I did a decade ago.
You grow older, you cease being the target demographic. THIS HAPPENS. If someone had said " Hey, Dredd is going to be awesome, you should go see it" I would have.
TBF, one wouldn't expect it have to been awesome after the past few years of movies. I remember now that I did see the the first Star Trek remake, and thought it was pretty boring.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Rhymenoserous posted:

New star wars movies were garbage, the entire matrix series was dumb as gently caress, the last batman movie was retarded, and a good superman movie doesn't exist because the character is lame. I mean one of the highest grossing movies of all time was Titanic. That really says everything you need to know about quality vs box office smash.

That movie about blue cat people is still the #1 grossing film of all time. That says all you need to know about the human race.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I saw it twice in 3D at the theaters and it was worth it, becuase of the bathtub, and then also when dredd throws mama out the window

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

my favorite memory of this movie is watching it with my mom and brother, after dredd doses mama with the slowmo and throws her off, after she splats, my brother turns to my mom and says "he gave her the stuff to slow her heart down so she'd reach the bottom" and my mom doesn't miss a beat and says "no he gave her the stuff because he's as much a monster as she is"

why would your brother say that

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

veedubfreak posted:

That movie about blue cat people is still the #1 grossing film of all time. That says all you need to know about the human race.

Largely due to the 3D gimmick though, in particular then when it was very new and before studios decided to gently caress the whole thing's reputation by shoveling out loving awful conversions ever since.

People wouldn't hate 3D today if they had, you know, only used it for movies that actually were shot in 3D.

ED: I think Avatar was the movie that made the film industry realize how drat important China is now. Thank China for Transformers 5, by the way.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
the best way to understand the difference between box office earnings and movie quality is to realize that people pay for the movie before seeing it, not after.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

Largely due to the 3D gimmick though, in particular then when it was very new and before studios decided to gently caress the whole thing's reputation by shoveling out loving awful conversions ever since.

People wouldn't hate 3D today if they had, you know, only used it for movies that actually were shot in 3D.

ED: I think Avatar was the movie that made the film industry realize how drat important China is now. Thank China for Transformers 5, by the way.

I anxiously await the inevitable Chinese economic implosion.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blazing Ownager posted:

3D is garbage, regardless of whether the movie was shot in it

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

its pretty rad actually

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

No. 6 posted:

gently caress 3D. I won't pay to see a single lovely movie in that format. This is why no one went to see Dredd in the theatre. Making the movie R rated, combined with shooting for a target audience of 3D watchers, it was ensured that nobody who could see the movie would even want to.

Yer dumb 3d is awesome and is the best thing to happen to cinema for decades.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

also dumb.

nomadologique fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 5, 2014

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
The fact that there was no love interest made this movie 10/10

seriously underrated in my godlike opinion

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Titanic is an awesome movie and you are a turd who knows nothing about movies.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
It was good because it wasn't marketed to children and was rated R. That's about 90% what I require out of an action film.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

it made my grandma dizzy so yeah

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when those kids took that slo mo and Dredd popped in and just started blasting fools in slow motion

that was it right there

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Honestly in a world where I could watch any movie I want for free at my house and pause it to take a piss and eat a steak and drink a beer during, the only reason I have to go to the cinema is for LIGHTS and SOUNDS and THREE DIMENSIONS. Otherwise I'm staying home.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

i thought it was cool that they made the slo mo a parto f the story

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
real imax is worth going to the theater and sitting next to poor people

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The best recent action film is still Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Moridin920 posted:

when those kids took that slo mo and Dredd popped in and just started blasting fools in slow motion

that was it right there

Slow motion, in gloriously rich colourful 3D and the way they made that dude's cheek explode off the frame OVER the letterboxing was almost artistic. The gore was beautiful in a sick way.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

scalded schlong posted:

why would your brother say that

he's kind of a loving idiot

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i like that one scene where he white phosphorouses those badugys just like israel did, good movie imo

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

bigzak posted:

The fact that there was no love interest made this movie 10/10

seriously underrated in my godlike opinion

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Rhymenoserous posted:

Ummm Titanic is awesome

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
starship troopers is the best movie of my lifetime

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Dredd loving owns but the sequel about zombie judges sounds loving awful

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Life is the crime... the sentence is death

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
i read a judge dredd book and it had three different books in one and it was pretty mediocre. it went into zombies and other dimensions and all that poo poo.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
"I love Dredd because because most action movies are derivative sequels it was original, I really hope they make a bunch of sequels for it!"

-person who longs for the days of 80s action movies, ignoring that almost all 80s action movies were dogshit

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Ramsus posted:

The best recent action film is still Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning though.

For real this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Dredd loving owns but the sequel about zombie judges sounds loving awful

If it's a complete tonal shift into some other realm of weirdly supernatural action craziness it could work.

• Locked thread