Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

the frown though

the frown sells the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

dredd loving owns and anyone claim different we got beef

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
didnt read thread, stallone dredd owns

golden eagle shoulderpad or get out

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
dredd was well worth a netlix watch

would watch drunk again

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Dredd loving owns but the sequel about zombie judges sounds loving awful

the next one was goign to be dredd brutally suppressing a pro-democracy movement. the last would have been a surreal psychedelic showdown between him and judge death

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I like that the tower feels like Season 1 of the Wire 50 years in the future and Bam there is a Barksdale in the house.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
They are working on a sequel, however if you think that they are going to do Judge Death or some other crazy poo poo be ready for disappointment. The Dredd 3D universe isn't a copy of the comic universe.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

I like that the tower feels like Season 1 of the Wire 50 years in the future and Bam there is a Barksdale in the house.

Where the gently caress is Anderson, huh, huh? String, STRING, WHERE THE gently caress IS ANDERSON? STRING WHERE THE gently caress IS ANDERSON?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Read this thread.

Watched the movie.

Pretty good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

WILL DEBASE SELF FOR CREDITS

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

why is all future currency called credits?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Business Gorillas posted:

Because we are already moving towards an entirely electronic money system (credit cards, debit cards, ect), so in the future currency won't exist, you will just have a certain amount of "credits" on your card.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

true first place i ever saw it was Star Frontiers.

i was a vrusk with a needler

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WILL DEBASE SELF FOR CREDITS

lol

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Only movie I've rewatched twice in a month. The scene when brain dredd(ette) shoots the guy through his chin and blows his head/face apart did it for me.

Also living in mega cities hits close to home. It's the future man

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i like how the trainee cop wasn't really able to effectively do violence until after she was victimized. i also love how the film juxtaposes beautiful slow motion shots with horrifying violence.

it's not just a good action movie, and very pretty, but it's also pretty god damned smart

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i would get kicked out of dredd school because i forget poo poo all the time and would probably lose my gun :smith:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

interwhat posted:

Only movie I've rewatched twice in a month. The scene when brain dredd(ette) shoots the guy through his chin and blows his head/face apart did it for me.

Also living in mega cities hits close to home. It's the future man

Ironically it was filmed in South Africa

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

etalian posted:

Ironically it was filmed in South Africa

googled it, seems the crew that worked on District 9 also worked on Dredd. People should make more scifi films in South Africa.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
gotta agree, dredd loving owns. i hope we get a second one :(

also, speaking of superhero movies, what the gently caress was with the hype over winter soldier? everyone was creaming themselves over it and it turned out to be a pretty, albeit polished turd, mediocre movie full of "jesus christ that was really stupid :facepalm:" moments and captain america is like the most boring superhero after superman.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The only things I didn't like was the drug name slow-mo and that the villain's name was mama. Those two things seemed kind of corny. Pretty good movie though.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Xaris posted:

gotta agree, dredd loving owns. i hope we get a second one :(

also, speaking of superhero movies, what the gently caress was with the hype over winter soldier? everyone was creaming themselves over it and it turned out to be a pretty, albeit polished turd, mediocre movie full of "jesus christ that was really stupid :facepalm:" moments and captain america is like the most boring superhero after superman.

they should of not bothered with winter soldier, and had task master instead.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate all comic book movies but Dredd was a super solid action movie. It felt simple and grounded, not an over the top epic like most movies try to be.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

dontcareaboutname posted:

that woulda been better. i was literally cracking up during the ambush scene in the car with how stupid it was and sam jackson shouting angrily at his car-puter.

this ~conflicted hero~ poo poo is pretty god drat old by now too. i feel like every single marvel movie to come out has the guy moping about in some dazed conflicted state until he realizes his ultimate purpose and kicks rear end.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 6, 2014

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

i would watch a taskmaster movie, he owns

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Ramsus posted:

The only things I didn't like was the drug name slow-mo and that the villain's name was mama. Those two things seemed kind of corny. Pretty good movie though.

yeah the drug needed a better name but MaMa made sense

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

tranime scholar posted:

i would watch a taskmaster movie, he owns

i would like a movie that is just task master killing dudes for 90 minutes.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
i can't stand superhero movies or comics.

it's all garbage.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

i would like a movie that is just task master killing dudes for 90 minutes.

it'd be easy. bad dude like dr. doom or something offers him a shitload of money to do evil stuff. tasky's like 'ok' and beats the poo poo out of heroes for 45 minutes. nick fury or w/e offers him even more money to do good stuff. tasky is like 'ok' and spends the rest of the movie beating the poo poo out of bad dudes. hire me marvel

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
If we're getting that picky now I'd like to say that it pulled me right out of the movie every time I got a look at the chick's extremely loud hot pink lip gloss that they kept shining extremely bright lights on even after she had been beaten silly and set on fire. Also, wasn't there a part where she gets locked out on a balcony and the movie pulls a fade-to-black "SEVERAL HOURS LATER....?"

Also I think there were some crime statistics mentioned during the intro that made it sound like MEGA CITY had less crime per capita than Des Moines, Iowa. But otherwise I liked it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Simstim posted:

googled it, seems the crew that worked on District 9 also worked on Dredd. People should make more scifi films in South Africa.

Black Sails is filmed in South Africa, apparently it's becoming somewhat popular due to lower production costs and also a variety of different scenery for on location shooting.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2063730,00.html

My favorite joke was from the aftermath of the mall shootout scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4CrE6IwlLg

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
just watched videofilm due to thread recommendation. in case you're also thinking of firing up netflix:

beautiful cinematography, smart jokes, good pacing, perfect casting. special effects were great, didn't even notice the budget.

it's also obvious from the get-go that judge dredd is essentially invincible and there's really no chance that the rookie will die either (BUT MAYBE SHE'LL GET RAPED OOOH) so there's zero dramatic tension in the film. all the bad guys will die, the good guys have no risk of failure. just a bunch of good funnies and cool deaths. not necessarily a problem but caveat videotator.

overall B+ which does indeed put it ahead of just about every comic book adaptation out there. if you're giving this movie an "A" I'd argue that you're setting the bar a bit low-- action movies hit me harder if there's some question of how the movie will end. I liked District 9 more for that exact raisin.

w/e it's a good show. would've been better if mama won and dreed died but a happy ending just isn't compatible with this universe.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

mmmm posted:

just watched videofilm due to thread recommendation. in case you're also thinking of firing up netflix:

beautiful cinematography, smart jokes, good pacing, perfect casting. special effects were great, didn't even notice the budget.

it's also obvious from the get-go that judge dredd is essentially invincible and there's really no chance that the rookie will die either (BUT MAYBE SHE'LL GET RAPED OOOH) so there's zero dramatic tension in the film. all the bad guys will die, the good guys have no risk of failure. just a bunch of good funnies and cool deaths. not necessarily a problem but caveat videotator.

overall B+ which does indeed put it ahead of just about every comic book adaptation out there. if you're giving this movie an "A" I'd argue that you're setting the bar a bit low-- action movies hit me harder if there's some question of how the movie will end. I liked District 9 more for that exact raisin.

w/e it's a good show. would've been better if mama won and dreed died but a happy ending just isn't compatible with this universe.

im gay

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
district 9 was pure nonstop comedy, every scene just made me laugh harder than the last, then they threw in a scene with the robot thing and it changes the movies entire tone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

district 9 was pure nonstop comedy, every scene just made me laugh harder than the last, then they threw in a scene with the robot thing and it changes the movies entire tone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

i got high under I-95 and then saw Dredd at the theater and it ruled. i also watched it at home sober when it came to tv and it was still great

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?

you didn't like the movie? why not it's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

scalded schlong posted:

why would your brother say that

From 80 posts ago, when I was watching House on Haunted Hill for the first time, there is that part at the end where they are stuck on top of the house some three hundred feet above the ocean below. My cousin helpfully explained that "They can't jump 'cause the cheques will get wet". Yes that is why they can't jump off a three hundred foot cliff. They will ruin the money that they have. Some people have this hilariously ingrained concept of causality without reality.

mind the walrus posted:

If it's a complete tonal shift into some other realm of weirdly supernatural action craziness it could work.

It could work because unlike every other character, Dredd won't give a flying gently caress that they are zombies or that zombies exist. He will take them down because they have broken the law.

• Locked thread