Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Ramsus posted:

The only things I didn't like was the drug name slow-mo and that the villain's name was mama. Those two things seemed kind of corny. Pretty good movie though.

...It's Judge Dredd, the comics are corny as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
nigga don't read comics

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://judgedredd.wikia.com/wiki/Uglies_Fad

somebody get tumblr on this

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ramsus posted:

nigga don't read comics

You don't need to to take one look at Dredd's helmet to know poo poo is corny as gently caress.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

That page led be to the Normals Fad page which is funny because apparently "Normcore" is now a thing in real life. Because fashion and the media are retarded.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Holy gently caress that is the most British comics thing I've read in a long while. Please tell me someone named Morrison, Moore, or Ellis came up with that one. Someone get that in a movie now.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

http://judgedredd.wikia.com/wiki/Fattie

we're through the looking glass people

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!

Alexzandvar posted:

They are working on a sequel, however if you think that they are going to do Judge Death or some other crazy poo poo be ready for disappointment. The Dredd 3D universe isn't a copy of the comic universe.

Alex Garland has openly stated the intent was to put Death in Dredd, but that introducing Judge Dredd and Judge Anderson was much more important to actually make Death's appearance work and so he was cut from the script after many revisions. If they get a trilogy out of it, the intent is for Death to show up and be a major character, which is why Anderson is even in the movie.

mind the walrus posted:

Holy gently caress that is the most British comics thing I've read in a long while. Please tell me someone named Morrison, Moore, or Ellis came up with that one. Someone get that in a movie now.

You think Dredd is a British as all gently caress comic, read some Slaine. Judge Dredd is a very British take on post-apocalyptic future America, but nothing like the same people's take on Celtic history/mythology. Also, "The Horned God," is really good, because the Biz is awesome.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 6, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

i think it was all three of them, possibly

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

mmmm posted:

you didn't like the movie? why not it's good!

just watched it, turned me straight

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tujague posted:

Also, wasn't there a part where she gets locked out on a balcony and the movie pulls a fade-to-black "SEVERAL HOURS LATER....?"

Nope. Dredd called it in and said they had to get back in and keep moving. Screen faded out but that was to avoid the 'how do they climb back into the hole that's like 25ft above their heads on a balcony with no ladders?'

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!

88h88 posted:

Nope. Dredd called it in and said they had to get back in and keep moving. Screen faded out but that was to avoid the 'how do they climb back into the hole that's like 25ft above their heads on a balcony with no ladders?'

They used the halfpipe and skated in duh

You know Judge Dredd is a bad mother on a skateboard

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Dredd is a fantastic film and I will sentence anyone who says otherwise to 20 years in the cubes.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Dredd is a loving great movie. However there is one problem: it doesn't end with Karl Urban banging Lena Headey in slow motion.

Karl Urban is completely naked except for the helmet.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
deal, but only if he's still frowning the whole time

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Twitch posted:

Dredd is a loving great movie. However there is one problem: it doesn't end with Karl Urban banging Lena Headey in slow motion.

Karl Urban is completely naked except for the helmet.

should he be grimacing though?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Twitch posted:

UGH THAT WOULD TAKE FOREVER

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
does he yell HOTSHOT right before he cums? this is a dealbreaker

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW
http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/
I'm pretty sure they used this to do that super-funky slowmo effect with the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HZAReul9IQ
:stare:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Pickle dicker posted:

http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/
I'm pretty sure they used this to do that super-funky slowmo effect with the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HZAReul9IQ
:stare:

something like that except dredd used a justin bieber song (realtalk)

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
uhh hello ever heard of blankman???? far superior film by lightyears

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

something like that except dredd used a justin bieber song (realtalk)

only as a temp track I thought?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!
The ending - "she's a pass" - says that fascism can accept mercy, which is like hmm?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

harpomarxist posted:

The ending - "she's a pass" - says that fascism can accept mercy, which is like hmm?
She got conscripted, if it looks like mercy then Dredd's system has you fooled.

Every single day is like her first, but she'll be more tired, and older every subsequent one. That's her future in that world.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

harpomarxist posted:

i thought the point was more that anderson represents a more adaptable and insidious form of social control than dredd does

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I also think that there's the grudging respect that even though she 'knew' that she had failed, she still retained her commitment to The Law and continued on with Dredd right to the end. She had washed out, but she still kept on going because it's not about becoming a Judge it's about an unswerving approach to upholding what's 'right' (read: nightmarishly facist"), and that's the one quality in another person that Dredd is physically capable of respecting.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he says "she's a pass" because she is an extremely convincing mtf transsexual

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Spacedad posted:

Dredd is a fantastic film and I will sentence anyone who says otherwise to 20 years in the cubes.

Did they ever show the cubes in the comic?
I used to get 2000AD but forget.
Is it solitary confinement or just a lovely future version of San Quentin?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
IIrc, they look something like a transparent capsule hotel.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i thought the point was more that anderson represents a more adaptable and insidious form of social control than dredd does

See, I like this idea - she's the 'purer' form of social control. Except that I really don't think that was the intent of the film, instead it kind of whitewashed Dredd as 'hard on the outside, soft on the inside' which I *understand* but it's still a bit 'tropey'

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

and my mom doesn't miss a beat and says "no he gave her the stuff because he's as much a monster as she is"

You mom understands Judge Dredd better than 90% of nerds on the internet.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

harpomarxist posted:

See, I like this idea - she's the 'purer' form of social control. Except that I really don't think that was the intent of the film, instead it kind of whitewashed Dredd as 'hard on the outside, soft on the inside' which I *understand* but it's still a bit 'tropey'

no the scene where they both torture the same guy in front of an american flag and her form of torture works better seems to pretty clearly make the point

ZX Speculum
Aug 18, 2006

Soiled Meat

happyhippy posted:

Did they ever show the cubes in the comic?
I used to get 2000AD but forget.
Is it solitary confinement or just a lovely future version of San Quentin?

It varies depending on what the story requires. Sometimes they're solitary cubes, sometimes more like a Californian prison, and sometimes an open prison run by hippy councillors trying to reintegrate them into society (usually just before a breakout). One prison is just a big platform in the middle of a busy traffic junction where perps are just dumped and abandoned.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

harpomarxist posted:

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of people that interpret it this way, and that's fine, I guess...

but

Cream_Filling posted:

no the scene where they both torture the same guy in front of an american flag and her form of torture works better seems to pretty clearly make the point

scenes like this definitely support a more "utilitarian" reading of Dredd. Where Dredd's idea of utilitarianism is something like "The most law enforcement for the most citizens is the most correct".

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

I don't think you quite understand. I agree that Dredd is the epitome of fascism throughout most of the film, and that we're supposed to see him as such. Equally Anderson is a form of this, but she breaks the rules by letting the Ulillillia look-a-like go, an act of mercy. Dredd tells the boss at the end that she passed, covering up this act of mercy and thus sanitising his form of fascism for the audience, where we can go 'aw, he's got a heart too'.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Comic book Dredd is undoubtedly a fascist but the way Megacity 01 and Dredd were presented in the movie what exactly are the judges supposed to do? There simply aren't enough law enforcement agents to maintain peace and the whole thing is teetering on the edge of the abyss.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 6, 2014

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

harpomarxist posted:

I don't think you quite understand. I agree that Dredd is the epitome of fascism throughout most of the film, and that we're supposed to see him as such. Equally Anderson is a form of this, but she breaks the rules by letting the Ulillillia look-a-like go, an act of mercy. Dredd tells the boss at the end that she passed, covering up this act of mercy and thus sanitising his form of fascism for the audience, where we can go 'aw, he's got a heart too'.

Probably, but it could just be a practical thing. Anderson would be an asset to the Law, and she's clearly a lot better than a bunch of judges already out there. I mean they just got through murdering a bunch of them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

harpomarxist posted:

she's a psychic mindrapist and can tell if someone has broken The Law. maybe he was starting to trust her psychic mindrapey ways when he let her let ulilia go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Anderson has pretty blonde hair :D

• Locked thread