Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
punisher warzone is the best. when frank just walks back onto camera suddenly to shotgun the dude in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
its true, this is basically a legit 80s action movie without any irony or bullshit

thats why i really wanted to see what the director (who looks like an extra from DREDD lol) would do with a larger budget

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
punisher war zone was a turd

a turd wrapped in turds

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Guardians of the Galaxy was honestly pretty good and fun 90% of the way through, but Dredd is good 100% of the way through so it is still the best superhero movie.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
DREDD loving rules

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Verisimilidude posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy was honestly pretty good and fun 90% of the way through, but Dredd is good 100% of the way through so it is still the best superhero movie.

the weird thing is that dredd actually had better written characters and character development

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

redshirt posted:

Fun movie but magic psychic lady was dumb. Why have a magic psychic in a movie like this? Didn't need it, and added a layer of stupidity.

Important character from the comics dumbass.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Cream_Filling posted:

the weird thing is that dredd actually had better written characters and character development

You gotta give it points for its super simple plot, too. This isn't even some big world-shattering episode in the Dredd saga, it's just another day on the streets, probably a bit lower key than usual since he's training a rookie.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Nutsngum posted:

Important character from the comics dumbass.

I don't read comic books little boy! Still dumb.

ZX Speculum
Aug 18, 2006

Soiled Meat
The big thing they got right was putting the focus on MaMa and her desperation as Dredd just keeps getting closer and nothing she does has any effect.

The comics have never been about Dredd. They're about Megacity One, and how it's citizens deal with their fate--because there is nothing they can do to avoid judgement if Dredd comes for them. He doesn't have much of a character himself and is basically a wall with a gun. You can't kill him (he is the hardest motherfucker who ever lived), plead to his merciful side (he doesn't have one), run or hide (he won't stop till he finds you). All you can do is wait, or fight and die.

The Stallone movie tried to give Dredd a character beyond unstoppable engine of justice and focus it on him, and that's where it went wrong. Also Rob Schneider as Fergee, wtf.

Dredd still isn't the best judge though.

Judge Fish best judge.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
All dredd made me want was a good punisher movie, get a good budget get verhooven to direct it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

dontcareaboutname posted:

punisher warzone is the best. when frank just walks back onto camera suddenly to shotgun the dude in the head.

Warzone is legit hilarious. Total mindless violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF28ceFJJ3A

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO4kg4YhJpA

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That's exactly what I mean. The entire film is loving ridiculous. Note how blatantly obvious it is that he's holding a doll when he pulls the trigger.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

wow i really must watch punisher

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

dredd sucks. what kind of retard keeps the whole movie inside one building with a setting as awesome as judge dredd

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

Get a few friends round, have a few drinks and it's brilliance.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

redshirt posted:

Fun movie but magic psychic lady was dumb. Why have a magic psychic in a movie like this? Didn't need it, and added a layer of stupidity.

because the movie was intended as setup for the eventual psychedelic judge death finale and her character is necesary later

Fandyien posted:

dredd sucks. what kind of retard keeps the whole movie inside one building with a setting as awesome as judge dredd

its called a budget. id rather have good cg and practical effects vs. a lot of cheap bad cg because the concept got overambitious and bloated because theres a lot of cool other stuff you coudl jam in from the original. in fact thi sis true even for projects with unlimited budgets, see: matrix vs. matrix sequels or pretty much every superhero sequel without an origin story to keep it grounded

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 5, 2014

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Fandyien posted:

Because Alex Garland.

Alex Garland is a writer who wrote 'The Beach' some years back, a really great book, turned into a terrible movie with Leonardo Dicaprio. Alex Garland is really great at writing bottle stories - where the protagonists and antagonists are trapped in one location and you get to watch the whole system implode. Kind of trite to watch it over and over again, except he's really good at it.

In addition to Dredd, he also wrote the screenplays for the movie credited with creating fast zombies- 28 Days Later, and the movie Sunshine.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

Reason it failed was because they put "3D" right in the title.

Shouldn't have done it.

Great film, though.

Reason it failed was the advertising didn't do enough to distance itself from the Stallone film. The typical American doesn't even know Dredd is a comic character, and often even referred to it as a remake of the first film, rather than a new adaption.

Also, I hate to say it, but it's hard to market a film with a main character that never takes off his helmet. There's a reason movies always make characters idiots who take off their helmets and otherwise lose them, and it's not just to give the actor screen time. It creates a marketable face. While I really really appreciate them sticking to the helmet-always-on thing in Dredd, I can see how that'd hinder marketing efforts.

ED: Has Karl Urban's only hit been Star Trek? He's always awesome in whatever he shows up in, but 99% of the time it either is crap, or makes no money. It's almost like he's got Nicholas Cage's agent.

hemale in pain posted:

There are no good Punisher movies, though the last one was the closest and the first one of the funniest.

I still think Rambo 4 era Stallone directing/acting would be the only person who could do a proper Punisher movie, both in age and look and being a master of non-stop massive violence and black & white world views.

ED: I just realized how ironic this tangent is given Stallone was the original film Dredd. By the way, it's drat near impossible to hate that movie, I don't know how you people manage it. It's so stupid it comes full circle to almost be endearingly terrible by the end. LAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 5, 2014

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
The helmet owns and McCoy owns for not taking it off.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

InterFaced posted:

The helmet owns and McCoy owns for not taking it off.

Oh absolutely.

I give the filmmakers props for not doing it.

I give the actor credit for being willing to do a whole role with no face shot.

Lots of credit. Just saying, it's harder to market.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
Literally the best nut busting face melting drug tripping scenes I've ever witnessed. Wish every drug was as awesome as 3d slo mo.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Blazing Ownager posted:

Lots of credit. Just saying, it's harder to market.

Yeah I see what you're saying. I didn't even realize Urban was in it until I heard him talk watching it on netflix. The cool thing about Dredd is that I've not talked to anyone who's seen it who didn't think it was the bees knees. Its much more popular now than it was in the theaters... hopefully that means one day we get another cool Urban Dredd movie.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nomadologique posted:

Literally the best nut busting face melting drug tripping scenes I've ever witnessed. Wish every drug was as awesome as 3d slo mo.

i like how we never see if it has any actual drawbacks or anything beyond being illegal

i hope sugar is also illegal in movie dredd world

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Urban did more acting with his chin than Stallone did with his whole goddamned face.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

spacegoat posted:

Urban did more acting with his chin than Stallone did with his whole goddamned face.

His face is crooked he should get some kind of handicap score bonus.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

When the girl cop reads his mind and said that she sensed something "deeper", when the camera cut to Dredd I thought to myself "JUSTICE."

Dredd was clearly thinking about my little pony and the chief knew it was coming and called a halt to it

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

spacegoat posted:

Stallone in the helmet was pretty impressive really. They just made it too much about who he was without the mask.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cream_Filling posted:

i like how we never see if it has any actual drawbacks or anything beyond being illegal

i hope sugar is also illegal in movie dredd world
in the comic book world, pretty much everything is illegal. or rather, it combines a society in which there are so many laws that everyone invariably breaks something -- which is how we live everyday -- with a ruthless fascistic police force and takes it to its logical conclusion. everyone is guilty, just whether you'll be judged or not depends on how the judges prioritize crimes that day.

two examples from the comics i can remember:

+ rich, well-dressed guy gets mugged while walking through a slum. dredd shoots the mugger, then arrests the wealthy victim for provoking a robbery.

+ judges arrive at a condo due to a tip of crimes occurring. tear the place apart trying to find evidence of a crime, find nothing. then they stumble across an illegal amount of coffee stashed under the couch. arrest the condo owner for violating mega city one's law prohibiting dangerous levels of caffeine. (it might have actually been sugar... can't remember.)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Omi-Polari posted:

in the comic book world, pretty much everything is illegal. or rather, it combines a society in which there are so many laws that everyone invariably breaks something -- which is how we live everyday -- with a ruthless fascistic police force and takes it to its logical conclusion. everyone is guilty, just whether you'll be judged or not depends on how the judges prioritize crimes that day.

two examples from the comics i can remember:

+ rich, well-dressed guy gets mugged while walking through a slum. dredd shoots the mugger, then arrests the wealthy victim for provoking a robbery.

+ judges arrive at a condo due to a tip of crimes occurring. tear the place apart trying to find evidence of a crime, find nothing. then they stumble across an illegal amount of coffee stashed under the couch. arrest the condo owner for violating mega city one's law prohibiting dangerous levels of caffeine. (it might have actually been sugar... can't remember.)

A white man's utopia where order is #1

Wish I lived in that world

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Don Tacorleone posted:

i would become a coffee baron

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

All dredd made me want was a good punisher movie, get a good budget get verhooven to direct it.

But Dredd is a superior version of the Punisher already

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Don Tacorleone posted:

like a lot of other 80s british sci-fi, it makes sense when you consider it in context of the thatcher era

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Don Tacorleone posted:

there's lots of catch 22s. the stallone movie got into this at the beginning, where the judges let rob schneider out of prison only to drop him off into a situation where he's committing a crime just by being there. actually that's america now when it comes to how it treats black felons...

Cream_Filling posted:

like a lot of other 80s british sci-fi, it makes sense when you consider it in context of the thatcher era
yeah i think that was the big inspiration. your wealth won't protect you, but they also prioritize to favor the rich. in the IDW comics (which is not as good as the british series) they have a TRUMP ALERT which is like an amber alert for rich people who go missing.

megacity one is like if you took giuliani-bloomberg new york to its logical conclusion.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Criminal Minded posted:

seriously why would anybody rather watch The Avengers or w/e (which I like okay) instead of this, you don't even have to get all pretentious and talk about the movies' politics, all you have to do is point out that this movie is hard-R and gets to blow poo poo up way more graphically. when did people stop liking that?

People like it just fine. It's the people with money who are afraid of not making it back (because they literally have more money than sense) that are the problem.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
There's also apparently a story arc about super fat people running amuck.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Zzulu posted:

But Dredd is a superior version of the Punisher already

can't put dredd in the marvel movie universe.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

can't put dredd in the marvel movie universe.
why not, he's fought batman and the aliens already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

quakster posted:

why not, he's fought batman and the aliens already

trolling, you can't not know the difference between marvel and DC.

• Locked thread