Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

like, how do you start talking about four hundred thousand dollar houses, whats the icebreaker there

http://www.equityapartments.com/california/san-francisco-bay-apartments/soma/77-bluxome-apartments.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

no man needs a half million dollar house i'm sorry to get judgey on you and i'm sure you're in like van or sf and have some weirdo housing market but i have a guttural response to numbers like that that i cannot easily suppress.

in sf no half a million dollar house exists

not posting my actual place ofc but it is very similar to one of these, and the place next door sold for slightly under a million dollars

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i guess so, huh. stupid bay

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

the 90k is fine whatever, a ridiculous sum but doable, the 460k is what gets me

no man needs a half million dollar house i'm sorry to get judgey on you and i'm sure you're in like van or sf and have some weirdo housing market but i have a guttural response to numbers like that that i cannot easily suppress. like, how do you start talking about four hundred thousand dollar houses, whats the icebreaker there

BUt maybe after a year or two after this depression starts to clear i'll feel differently. SORRY NOT TRYING TO E/N AROUND HERE

lol no i'm in ontario, the market here is crazy as gently caress

if i bought in toronto this house would have cost me 1.2 million, no joke

the absolute cheapest houses in my city (hamilton) that aren't surrounded by literal crackdens, two blocks from an oil refinery, or in a suburban wasteland with no sidewalks start at 250k

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

http://www.crackshackormansion.com/

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

owns

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
SF pays almost double what I get here, but at least I can buy a beastly 2500 sqft house for $200k. :swag:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
you have chips on your cards now?

lol american banks

maybe in 2026 you'll be able to see your own bank account number in your online bank?? or maybe have a centralized clearing and transactions system??

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

rear end cobra posted:

maybe in 2026 you'll be able to see your own bank account number in your online bank??

uggggh i literally don't understand why this isn't possible rn

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

but it is...?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I live in vancouver where houses are so god drat expensive because of all the mainland china people coming and buying them all up.

my aunt is a realtor and sold a property in a nice part of richmond, which was a 50x120 lot and a house that was basically ready to be torn down. Asking price: $888,888 (of course). Sold for $1,680,000.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what, and risk having my money stolen by some computer hacker?? no thank you, i'll stick to making my unforgeable mark on a piece of official paper swearing that i do have the money to pay you and you can take that to my bank and they will give you the money if it's actually there, as god intended.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

rear end cobra posted:

you have chips on your cards now?

lol american banks

maybe in 2026 you'll be able to see your own bank account number in your online bank?? or maybe have a centralized clearing and transactions system??

oh cool we're doing ccchat so it's time for some yurupean to get all smug about how his card has a feature that does not benefit the consumer in any way at all

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Tiny Bug Child posted:

oh cool we're doing ccchat so it's time for some yurupean to get all smug about how his card has a feature that does not benefit the consumer in any way at all

being all modern and cool and also safer is a great benefit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

A European posted:

this chip and pin card allows me to easily and conveniently keep my balance at the -4000 euro overdraft limit that for some reason my bank thinks is acceptable and normal

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

rear end cobra posted:

my card got jacked a couple weeks ago. no idea how but within 5 minutes of the guy trying to use it chase sent me a text that said "yo did you actually just make this charge?" i said no and i got a new card within 3 days and wasn't responsible for any of the charges. exact same thing happened the last time my card got stolen

now if i had a chip and pin what are the odds the bank would say "lol you must have given out your pin sucks to be you"

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Tiny Bug Child posted:

now if i had a chip and pin what are the odds the bank would say "lol you must have given out your pin sucks to be you"

of course chase would do that since its evil stupid bank for idiots but how does that make signature safer than pin?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Tiny Bug Child posted:

my card got jacked a couple weeks ago. no idea how but within 5 minutes of the guy trying to use it chase sent me a text that said "yo did you actually just make this charge?" i said no and i got a new card within 3 days and wasn't responsible for any of the charges. exact same thing happened the last time my card got stolen

well, how would the thief have gotten your pin if not from you? Hmmm?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
didnt read the thread but i just got a new visa with a chip on it and the brochure that came with it was like "NEW ADVANCED CHIP FOR YOUR SECURITY" and i loled because its something the rest of the world has had for like 15 years

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
also lol if you dont have an amex and lol if you dont pay your cards off in full monthly

just lol

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

the 90k is fine whatever, a ridiculous sum but doable, the 460k is what gets me

no man needs a half million dollar house i'm sorry to get judgey on you and i'm sure you're in like van or sf and have some weirdo housing market but i have a guttural response to numbers like that that i cannot easily suppress. like, how do you start talking about four hundred thousand dollar houses, whats the icebreaker there

BUt maybe after a year or two after this depression starts to clear i'll feel differently. SORRY NOT TRYING TO E/N AROUND HERE

460 is like a lovely one bedroom condo here :smithicide:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

rear end cobra posted:

not as cool and modern as bitcoin!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'd be perfectly happy living in a 1 bedroom shack with a 5000 sqft backyard

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
current lol credit offers status: got a DISCOVER CARD offer in the mail today

plain dumb envelope like 99.9% of all of this poo poo comes in now (remember when it used to come in colorful envelopes with words like "Youre approved!" and poo poo?

oh wait, this is a level beyond special invitation status, i have PROOF - a loving PROOF CARD that i have goddamn special invitation status.

what a joke

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i also like the thing the NYT does with stuff like "What you get for.... 1,000,000"

i've been in million dollar houses. they were the same size or smaller than my parent's house $150k house, only older and closer to the city center

edit: heres one in the series for $608k
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/greathomesanddestinations/real-estate-for-608000.html

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the 2 bedroom condos in my former neighbourhood in toronto were going for 600k and up

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Sniep posted:

current lol credit offers status: got a DISCOVER CARD offer in the mail today

plain dumb envelope like 99.9% of all of this poo poo comes in now (remember when it used to come in colorful envelopes with words like "Youre approved!" and poo poo?

oh wait, this is a level beyond special invitation status, i have PROOF - a loving PROOF CARD that i have goddamn special invitation status.

what a joke

and then it turns out it's the dumb reader's digest contest where they string you along forever hoping you'll buy books but still never win

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

and then it turns out it's the dumb reader's digest contest where they string you along forever hoping you'll buy books but still never win

well its a loan i guess? they want to give me $25,000 from what the poo poo says

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
houses with razor wire and broken bottles on the sidewalk go for between 600 and 800 where i live lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

hello jam

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
huh my name is also jam

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

its pronounced yam

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

couponing is the ultimate expression of fishmechin

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i watched a few episodes of that extreme couponing show on tlc that poo poo is insane

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

rear end cobra posted:

of course chase would do that since its evil stupid bank for idiots but how does that make signature safer than pin?

because if i lose my regular card i don't pay for anything. if i lose my fancy chip and pin card they have an excuse not to pay for it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
make sure you write your pin on the back of your card

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

i've been in million dollar houses. they were the same size or smaller than my parent's house $150k house, only older and closer to the city center

not that i think you dont get this or anything but you're talking about property values and the cost of a house and if you ny apartment cost 1 million its probably mostly in the property value and not reflective at all of the actual physical building you're going into. to an extent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

make sure you write your pin on the back of your card

my pin is 1234 so i can never forget. as long as i know how to count i know my pin

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Tiny Bug Child posted:

because magnetic stripes are 60+ year old technology and stupidly easy to skim/clone and we're still using them in tyool 2014

the us is going to chip+signature not chip+pin so nothing changes with liability/fraud, just eventually when we can phase out all the mag stripe hardware skimming fraud will go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

mishaq posted:

because magnetic stripes are 60+ year old technology and stupidly easy to skim/clone and we're still using them in tyool 2014

the us is going to chip+signature not chip+pin so nothing changes with liability/fraud, just eventually when we can phase out all the mag stripe hardware skimming fraud will go away

because, per defcon for the last ??? years, "oh, a chip card? drat, can't skim that, sorry."

• Locked thread