Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
didn't they actually clone chip cards already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sniep posted:

because, per defcon for the last ??? years, "oh, a chip card? drat, can't skim that, sorry."

no one has been able to clone a chip card, except clone the mag stripe on a chip card

there have been limited examples of intercepting pins by doing REALLy sophisticated stuff (compromising terminals in china at the factory before they ship out) but that's limited and again, not relevant to the us because we're not using pins

the sensitive data never leaves the chip, it's sound security

same reason why no one can clone a sim card

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Cold on a Cob posted:

i watched a few episodes of that extreme couponing show on tlc that poo poo is insane

coupon policies are now poo poo everywhere because of these ppl.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
ok motherfuckers here's what I want. Credit card companies, i know you're reading this, so take some loving notes.

It's simple. I want to be able to create and revoke virtual credit card numbers that all get billed to my main credit card. That's it.

That way, I can give one number to amazon, another one to monoprice, another one to the power company, another one to the fuckers who give me internet and so forth and if any of those shitheads loses it or gets haxxed or what the gently caress ever then fine, who cares, close that number forever and i will give JUST THAT ONE SHITHEAD a new goddamned number and I will move on with my goddamn life, instead of every time some shitwad loses a loving credit card I get to change every card and every auto bill pay I've set up ever.

Do that and idgaf about basically any other feature.

BofA did this for a while but it was hosed up and was only good for poo poo like one-time transactions because the number was only good for X months where X was some single-digit value and also generating the number was a big pain in the rear end. Like just pre-generate 30 or something for me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bank of america still does this. the function could be a little easier to access on their website, but it works 100% and it's the only way i use my card to buy poo poo from aliexpress etc. now

i think you're right that it expires after a max of 6 months or something but meh wgaf you can spend the 5 minutes twice a year if you really care about security enough to do this for every site instead of just one-offs

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

they must have started again. a couple three years ago the option vanished and no customer service reps knew wtf I was talkin about

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it was nice tho, you could (can I guess?) make a number only valid for a particular merchant and you could set a cap on how much they could charge on it , although I remember a lot of chatter about how that part didn't work

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sagebrush posted:

bank of america still does this. the function could be a little easier to access on their website, but it works 100% and it's the only way i use my card to buy poo poo from aliexpress etc. now

i think you're right that it expires after a max of 6 months or something but meh wgaf you can spend the 5 minutes twice a year if you really care about security enough to do this for every site instead of just one-offs

what where can you do this i thought they got rid of the option

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's called "ShopSafe" and you can get to it from the information and services tab

you may need to have an actual credit card with them to do this, i don't see a way to do it w/ just the visa debit card

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sagebrush posted:

it's called "ShopSafe" and you can get to it from the information and services tab

you may need to have an actual credit card with them to do this, i don't see a way to do it w/ just the visa debit card

oh wow thats a terrible description

Features

ShopSafe®
Safeguard your identity when you shop online.
Use ShopSafe Learn more about ShopSafe

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also you can set it to be valid for a year. neat

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sniep posted:

current lol credit offers status: got a DISCOVER CARD offer in the mail today

plain dumb envelope like 99.9% of all of this poo poo comes in now (remember when it used to come in colorful envelopes with words like "Youre approved!" and poo poo?

the goal is to make it look serious and important ("response requested within 10 days") so that you think it's something you need to open instead of something you can immediately throw away. i hate it :argh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

It's simple. I want to be able to create and revoke virtual credit card numbers that all get billed to my main credit card. That's it.

That way, I can give one number to amazon, another one to monoprice, another one to the power company, another one to the fuckers who give me internet and so forth and if any of those shitheads loses it or gets haxxed or what the gently caress ever then fine, who cares, close that number forever and i will give JUST THAT ONE SHITHEAD a new goddamned number and I will move on with my goddamn life, instead of every time some shitwad loses a loving credit card I get to change every card and every auto bill pay I've set up ever.

this is a really good idea

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nothing important comes via first class mail with "response needed within 10 days" on the envelope

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hobbesmaster posted:

nothing important comes via first class mail with "response needed within 10 days" on the envelope

i think the new york times sends me "please subscribe" letters that look like the perforated envelopes that you get tax forms in

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
hmm this reminds me. i had to register with the board of equalization for taxes, so im officially a business now. can i get any cool business discounts or swag this way

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

prefect posted:

i think the new york times sends me "please subscribe" letters that look like the perforated envelopes that you get tax forms in

yeah i've gotten a couple of those perforated security advertisements. it pisses me off more than a normal ad ever would

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Condiv posted:

yeah i've gotten a couple of those perforated security advertisements. it pisses me off more than a normal ad ever would

yeah, i'm okay with somebody who comes right out and says "we want to sell you something". when they fake you out like that, i try to make a mental note never to buy their stuff

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

rotor posted:

ok motherfuckers here's what I want. Credit card companies, i know you're reading this, so take some loving notes.

Do that and idgaf about basically any other feature.

BofA did this for a while but it was hosed up and was only good for poo poo like one-time transactions because the number was only good for X months where X was some single-digit value and also generating the number was a big pain in the rear end. Like just pre-generate 30 or something for me.

Discover used to do this, but the only way you could access it was by loading this crappy little flash popup that would generate a new number for you

then they removed that feature. it was nice while it lasted, i guess

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

when i used to cashier at a supermarket the coupon ppl were almost always mentally ill and a loose cannon

once i pointed out to a lady that half her shampoo coupons were expired and she was like "I NEED TO SEE A MANAGER, I BETTER BE GETTING FREE poo poo FOR THIS INCONVENIENCE"

then when the manager showed up she got his name and threatened to call corporate and she got so much free poo poo, lol

she was a pro

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

prefect posted:

the goal is to make it look serious and important ("response requested within 10 days") so that you think it's something you need to open instead of something you can immediately throw away. i hate it :argh:

:ssh: if it comes presorted standard you can safely throw it away without looking at it

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

the 90k is fine whatever, a ridiculous sum but doable, the 460k is what gets me

no man needs a half million dollar house i'm sorry to get judgey on you and i'm sure you're in like van or sf and have some weirdo housing market but i have a guttural response to numbers like that that i cannot easily suppress. like, how do you start talking about four hundred thousand dollar houses, whats the icebreaker there

BUt maybe after a year or two after this depression starts to clear i'll feel differently. SORRY NOT TRYING TO E/N AROUND HERE

a small but modest 2 bedroom apartment in my city is like 800k such a weirdo housing market going on

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

the 90k is fine whatever, a ridiculous sum but doable, the 460k is what gets me

no man needs a half million dollar house i'm sorry to get judgey on you and i'm sure you're in like van or sf and have some weirdo housing market but i have a guttural response to numbers like that that i cannot easily suppress. like, how do you start talking about four hundred thousand dollar houses, whats the icebreaker there

BUt maybe after a year or two after this depression starts to clear i'll feel differently. SORRY NOT TRYING TO E/N AROUND HERE

the house itself is only worth like ~150k, that's what the insurance company will pay me if it burns to the ground.

the 25x100 foot piece of San Francisco is what costs the half million

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its very tempting for me to sell my tiny two bedroom on a main road with small front yard which is noisy and move to a place that is by all means nicer and have significantly less morthage/more house but i would be away from family and my wife likes her job

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
how fuckin noisy could it possibly be in god drat new zealand

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i think youd be surprised how much nz was like america in most ways. i mean less people sure but not like dakota or some poo poo

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
is the weather in NZ as amazing as it looks on paper?

also

lol

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

is the weather in NZ as amazing as it looks on paper?

it gets cold but not that cold and hot but not that hot

low 90s is basically peak summer and depending on where you live it may snow occasionally during winter

so basically a slightly less extreme cali

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Miley Virus posted:

it gets cold but not that cold and hot but not that hot

low 90s is basically peak summer and depending on where you live it may snow occasionally during winter

so basically a slightly less extreme cali

we joke about cali splitting off the continent, but nz is basically australia's cali that actually did split off the continent

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

the house itself is only worth like ~150k, that's what the insurance company will pay me if it burns to the ground.

the 25x100 foot piece of San Francisco is what costs the half million

It's starting to make a lot more sense now that I realize a lot of you are making 120-180k a year. Still stupid, but less reckless.

The "3 times your annual gross" limit is burnt into my brain p hard

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ok so chip and pin means youre dicked if theres fraud

how do i use chip and pin online

suck it chiphavers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bloody posted:

suck it chiphavers

it doesn't mean this at all, unless you live in a country with no consumer protection laws.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

right, so europe

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

It's starting to make a lot more sense now that I realize a lot of you are making 120-180k a year. Still stupid, but less reckless.

oops. unless u mean family income

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
this thread reminded me to take a good hard look at my credit card rewards program. fwiw, we have been making all of our day-to-day cardswiping, online purchases and ATM withdrawls on this card for about a year, and we've earned a little over 50,000 rewards points

after looking at a few items and thinking "boy there sure is a huge variance between some of these point prices", i started looking at the gift cards. all the gift cards were the same price -- $25 cards were 3,000 points, but $250 cards were 25,000 points. it turns out the best possible point->real monies conversion is those $250 gift cards: 100 points = 1 dollar.

i usually couldn't compare a lot of things because they often excluded the information you needed to look up the exact model numbers (there are a zillion models of prosumer DSLR packages and i wasn't about to try to match them, and worse, some looked like last year's models). but one item i could easily compare was the fully-loaded iPad Air. 128gb, wifi+cellular, and bundled with some lovely case, they wanted 132,800 points for it (equiv $1,328 @ most generous conversion rate). apple sells the same iPad Air for $929, and the case is probably just another $50 on top of that, shipping is probably free, too

this Sony media bundle package consisting of a 4K projector, a "4K media player" (whatever that is) and a lovely android tablet was the most expensive item in the store at 2,160,000 points, (approx $21,600). sony sells the bundle for $16k on their site

so, i was gonna try to get something cool with my rewards points, but now i think i'm going to cash my 50,000 points in on two $250 amazon gift cards and get myself a new wardrobe. whenever i switch cards, i'll just get something with cashback

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
im trying to think of a more inefficient form of investment than rewards cards + all the associated janitoring that comes with them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jizz in a cryogenic chamber

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Jonny 290 posted:

couldn't find a version weighted by population, so here's one with a datapoint per county

sry jonny the idiot california tech guys making $120k a year aren't buying $400k houses, they're buying >$700k houses

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
i like paying for things by touching my card against the display

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bloody posted:

suck it chiphavers

you use your banks password payment thing or, for setting up new accounts to pay directly from your online account, a little chip reader thing which you put a number and your pin into and it gives a number back.

idk why people keep saying chip+pin means you lose all your protections when you don't

http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/faqs/ posted:

With the introduction of chip and PIN there is no change in liability for the cardholder. Consumers remain fully protected from the cost of card fraud and are covered under The Lending Code. From 1 January 2005 there was a shift in liability for some types of card fraud from banks to retailers, but this will not affect cardholders in any way. If businesses have chip and PIN terminals in store, they are covered for the cost of card fraud whether customers enter their PIN or their signature, just so long as staff follow the on-screen prompts and carry out the routine checks to ensure cards have not already been reported lost or stolen. Banks will continue to be liable for the cost of card fraud committed on old-style non-chip and PIN cards, so by accepting them businesses are not putting themselves at risk in any way

• Locked thread