Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
As the CEO of "Dad INC" I would like to give Zapp Brannigan a proposal.

Should you ever gain an exceptional officer you can't rename, use him/her as it fits their abilites, and just consider that person to have been sent by the company.
This deal is only worth 1(one) officer, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Sign me up as British cadet Basil Fawlty, a man ready to carry the lie that his ship is operating perfectly normally right up until the moment the reactor goes critical.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

occipitallobe posted:

Clonemasters from Scotland build a new body in the depths of Strathclyde for Delta Green, using mad science and the sewn-together corpses of baby rabbits to construct a facsimile of the living man. They convey it to Nottingham where it is placed within an unholy vessel of steel.

From there, they return the body to the Nega-Pope in America who mutters dark blessings over the body. He sends three Laser Cardinals to the scene of the Second Battle for Earth, with explicit instructions to conduct a reverse exorcism. The spirit that once inhabited Delta Green is called back to where it died - into the very depths of space. Screaming in agony as it is recalled into the temporary body, the body begins its search for vengeance upon the man who has killed it. The blood of an ensign is used to mark an unholy circle, keeping Delta Green's invincible zombie at bay. Indonesian Machine Necromancers are called in (sometimes called mechanics by the unworthy). They connect the computer that is to be the heart of the new frigate to the horrible parody of a man, and using dark arts and plenty of motor oil, transfer his very consciousness into the machine.

:Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my case. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for Rex Armstrong at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

(I'm in the middle of playing through the rest of this update, should come down some time later today.)

EXCELLENT. I AM REBORN IN THE EMPEROR'S SERVICE. (is that a full, good quality replacement or something else?)

I DEMAND TO BE INSTALLED IN THE NEWEST SHIPS OF OUR FLEETS, THAT I MAY BRING FORTH MY HATRED AGAINST THE ALIEN FOE AND REX MANSTRONG.

ALSO, I GREATLY OBJECT TO ALL ACCUSATIONS OF FOUL SORCERIES. ALL THAT HAS BROUGHT ME BACK IS BLESSED BY THE IMMORTAL EMPEROR OF MANKIND, THE OMNISSIAH AND THE WILL OF THE ALMIGHTY.

NewMars posted:

: Today feels like a good day to be me!

THERE WILL BE NO SALVATION FOR YOU. I WILL PERSONALLY END YOUR EXISTENCE THE WAY YOU ENDED MINE. THERE WILL BE A RECKONING WHERE YOUR SINS OF PRIDE AND CALLOUS DISREGARD FOR OTHERS WILL BE ACCOUNTED FOR.

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 13, 2014

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Seppo Saapasmaa, personal log

Feh. Rumours abound that the dead guy's turned into some sort of angry zombie robot nerd.

Fine with me; takes attention away from the fact that I replaced the fuel tanks of one of the missiles with my personal liquor stash. It's not like we had any realistic way to survive long enough to fire it anyways.

Cheers.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Delta Green posted:

THERE WILL BE NO SALVATION FOR YOU. I WILL PERSONALLY END YOUR EXISTENCE THE WAY YOU ENDED MINE. THERE WILL BE A RECKONING WHERE YOUR SINS OF PRIDE AND CALLOUS DISREGARD FOR OTHERS WILL BE ACCOUNTED FOR.

Unfortunately as your existence has demonstratably not been ended as per regulations act 4-19 section 215 of the Space Code you do not meet the requirements of the vengeance initiative sections A-7, C-9 and ⚶-4, as such you unfortunately do not meet criteria for initiating a reckoning against a being.

I will admit that it's a little bit of a catch 22 as in order to meet the criteria for initiating a reckoning as a vengeance response to having ones existence ended one needs to not exist, making initiating a reckoning somewhat difficult, but eh you know politicians.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Delta Green posted:

EXCELLENT. I AM REBORN IN THE EMPEROR'S SERVICE. (is that a full, good quality replacement or something else?)

I DEMAND TO BE INSTALLED IN THE NEWEST SHIPS OF OUR FLEETS, THAT I MAY BRING FORTH MY HATRED AGAINST THE ALIEN FOE AND REX MANSTRONG.

ALSO, I GREATLY OBJECT TO ALL ACCUSATIONS OF FOUL SORCERIES. ALL THAT HAS BROUGHT ME BACK IS BLESSED BY THE IMMORTAL EMPEROR OF MANKIND, THE OMNISSIAH AND THE WILL OF THE ALMIGHTY.

A full, good quality replacement indeed! Well, a replacement that works. You've also been demoted to Lieutenant for allowing yourself to be raised from the dead by the Nega-Pope! The Fleet doesn't need accusations of religious favouritism, soldier! (This was the most talented person of decent rank)

Teledahn posted:

Make me an officer, preferably the best Canadian.

I got you both the best Canadian and the only Canadian! What luck!

Lord Tywin posted:

A french Captain Cacques Cousteau reporting for duty.

Captain Cacques Costeau. As a joke, Fleet Admiral Brannigan had him demoted to Ensign for April Fools Day. Unfortunately it took months for the paperwork to go through, so the demotion has only been made official as of today! (I had no French Captains)

Airconswitch posted:

American Jonathan Richman reporting for duty, ideally for something really fast.

Ah yes! We have fighters than can fly multiple times faster than any other ship in the fleet! They're also excellent at absorbing hits that our other, more valuable ships might have taken.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Ensign Thor Thorsson reports for duty with a heart filled with the thirst for battle and metal!

I pretty much had to go with the most metal country in the world for Thor Thorrson.

India.

ForeverBWFC posted:

Please Sign me up as a British officer of any rank.

Scintilla posted:

Sign me up as British cadet Basil Fawlty, a man ready to carry the lie that his ship is operating perfectly normally right up until the moment the reactor goes critical.

- - - - -

June 15 to July 7: Housekeeping

Earth's Starbase is complete. With in in place, any fleet we build can safely move against the aliens without fear of a minor scout fleet destroying our very homeworld.

The Computer Mk. III is complete - its research was necessary to house the body of Delta Green. It opens up the Long-Range Scanner Array, Agricultural Compound, and the Refinery Complex for future colonies.

Soon after we finish our research on the Fire Control Radar.

These are basically now core on any of our beam-armed (or railgun-armed) ships. They offer less scan capability, but way better to-hit bonuses. Which we need pretty desperately. Once we research some better non-missile weapons we'll be able to start building up a force with better beam capabilities.

The end of the month comes, and the Council is somewhat less happy. Happy enough to increase our budget, thankfully. (Next month I'll get into some of the individual breakdowns and the ways we can maximize our budget)

The Nigerians ask for Clarence Holmes back. The good Lieutenant however has been requisitioned by Zapp Brannigan to sail his yacht. As such, sending him back is simply unjustifiable.

- - - - -

However, we've finished our research once again. At this point we pretty desperately need some new weapons before we go establishing outposts and whatnot.

So our options are:

1 - Go beam or go home with techs like Fusion Lasers, Mass Drivers, and Heavy Weapon Variants. We can also research the higher-tier tech (takes twice as long as most of our techs at this point, so around 20 days) Integrated Heat Exchangers which allow a slightly lower heat dissipation capability in return for making our ships tougher. This will serve to allow our beam ships to survive long enough to fight the enemy.

2 - Missile 2: Missile Boogaloo. We can research Shield Countermeasures which will give us anti-shield warheads, Constant ECM to give our ships more survivability, and the higher-tier techs Auxiliary Thrusters - which will enable both Afterburners and (more important for our missile ships) Fast Missiles - and finally Smart BPL Warhead, a smart bomb-pumped laser that can detonate from further away and hits more often.

3 - Pure Infrastructure, Baby!. Here we get Outpost Construct, Outpost Defenses, Orbital Detection Net and Space Academy. Sure, it'll set back the fleet a little bit, but we'll be able to construct better detection capabilities (and a space academy!) in Earth orbit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Infrastructure.

As long as they're mostly leaving us alone, we need to get stuff up while we can. Also, a space academy will allow a 300% increase in hijinks among cadets and recruits, and I don't think I need to specify why that's essential to the war effort.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Infrastructure. I expect our Battle School to pump out the finest military minds Humanity has ever seen!

Rogue Norwegian
Apr 6, 2011
Go beam or go home A balanced research diet is reccommended by 7 out of 10 physicians (The last 3 were eaten by aliens)

:cthulhu: I had nothing to do with that! Incidentally I do sell spice packages that make you inedible for aliens.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
: Me, personally? Since I'm going to be crewing a missile frigate, I would like some more missiles.

Also, now that we've got computers mk3, can I get a sarcastic robot butler? You know, for the ship.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Macross Missile Massacre

Why fix what aint broke?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Humanity has been using Missiles in one form or another for our entire existence, no need to change our ways now.

Does the crew of a ship only consist of the captain plus the three officers, mechanically? Also, how many non-goon casualties have we had so far?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Me, I've always liked a good knoife, can't go wrong with a knoife. Now there aren't any knoifes in space, its just too darned big for knoifes, but lasers are basically just knoifes made of light and I'm sure we can make some warheads for the mass drivers so lets Go Beam or Go Home.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Humanity has been using Missiles in one form or another for our entire existence, no need to change our ways now.

Does the crew of a ship only consist of the captain plus the three officers, mechanically? Also, how many non-goon casualties have we had so far?

There's also a number of 'crew' who are drawn from a pool. They don't have individual statistics, but are either "Poor, Green, Regular, Veteran, or Elite". They act as a multiplier on how much our officers can do - good crew are like a good captain in this regard. Fighters and corvettes don't have any non-officer crew, however. Frigates have 200, Light Cruisers have 400, and Heavy Cruisers have 1000. We have an unlimited pool of Poor crew, but others are either trained by putting more resources towards recruitment, or slowly level up on their own in combat.

Unlike officers, crew can't be rescued if a ship blows up. So a ship full of Elite crew dies, they're all gone.

Here's a picture of our current recruitment pool.

We've only had two battles. The Battle of First Light saw us lose around 10 non-goon officers, I think. The Second Battle for Earth saw us lose one officer, Delta Green (because the aliens sent a single transport ship to fight our fleet). The game is kinda slow early on (most of what we're doing is just setting the stage for a lot of battles - given the time it takes to construct ships, altering our fleet composition once its set takes a long time), but trust me when I say we'll be taking copious casualties later on.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We are here to drown the aliens in an ocean of our dead. This means that what we need is the ability to build more ships, not better ships.
100% focus on Infrastructure

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

How much you spend? Except when you spend all of your budget it's popular. So maybe it's when you don't spend your budget or use your planets producing stuff people get pissed off? This isn't entirely clear. I think it's making sure all your planets spend time producing stuff, though.

Think of bureaucracy. They set you a target budget or you set yourself a target budget, they expect you to keep to that. If you're using too much, they'll complain. If you use too little, they'll take it off you and complain of wastage/overspend, because that money/infrastructure could have gone elsewhere.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

occipitallobe posted:

I pretty much had to go with the most metal country in the world for Thor Thorrson.

India.

I looked up some music by Indian metal bands, gotta be honest they're pretty much exactly as incomphrensible and growly as nordic bands.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

occipitallobe posted:

A full, good quality replacement indeed! Well, a replacement that works. You've also been demoted to Lieutenant for allowing yourself to be raised from the dead by the Nega-Pope! The Fleet doesn't need accusations of religious favouritism, soldier! (This was the most talented person of decent rank)

EXCELLENT. I WILL LEAD THE SHIPS OF MANKIND TO VICTORY. WHILE I REGRET THE LOSS OF MY NAVIGATION SKILLS, MY NEW PARTNERSHIP WITH THE MACHINE SPIRITS OF THE SHIPS WILL SERVE ME WELL. I SEE THAT MY ENTOMBMENT HAS ONLY MINUTELY LESSENED MY LEADERSHIP SKILLS.

I WILL REGAIN MY RANKS, MY SKILLS AND SERVE IN HONOUR. AND NOW, I BEAR ONCE MORE THE BLOOD OF CHARLEMAGNE.

Missile 2: Missile Boogaloo. IS MY RECOMMANDATION. ALTHOUGH I ALSO RECOMMEND STRONGER, STURDIER SHIPS.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Lasers are delicious.

Mwip57
Aug 30, 2009
Lasers is the only answer!

As a representative of the People Republic I request to man such a fine ship personally.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Lynneth posted:

Lasers are delicious.

: That's it! I've got a brilliant new plan to finance the war effort: Lasers for breakfast! The kids will love it!

Cironian
Sep 8, 2013

occipitallobe posted:

Budget Discipline:

How much you spend? Except when you spend all of your budget it's popular. So maybe it's when you don't spend your budget or use your planets producing stuff people get pissed off? This isn't entirely clear. I think it's making sure all your planets spend time producing stuff, though.

Budget Discipline will always score at max unless you use the emergency budget feature. When you talk to one of your main council members through the faction screen, you can request emergency funds and they will then vote on it. If the vote goes through, you get double your budget until you end it.

This will however put a gigantic (not kidding here!) drain on your council members happiness and is only a good idea for very short periods of time. Like when that new starbase has to get done right now, before that incoming alien fleet bombs Earth to rubble.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Lasers provide an excuse to put even more coolant on the ships. And you know what makes the best coolant? Beer. Specifically American beer, and not the German crap.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Cironian posted:

Budget Discipline will always score at max unless you use the emergency budget feature. When you talk to one of your main council members through the faction screen, you can request emergency funds and they will then vote on it. If the vote goes through, you get double your budget until you end it.

This will however put a gigantic (not kidding here!) drain on your council members happiness and is only a good idea for very short periods of time. Like when that new starbase has to get done right now, before that incoming alien fleet bombs Earth to rubble.

Oh hey! Do you mind if I ask you some questions about game mechanics? (It's pretty neat that you found the thread). Is the willingness of the council nations (or lead nation) to grant an emergency budget based on how happy they are, or does it have to do with your position relative to the aliens? I never quite seem to be able to get an emergency budget funded whenever I feel like I really need one (read: whenever I accidentally lose a whole fleet for nothing). There's a whole bunch of stuff I feel like I should be optimizing but am just not sure how to.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cironian posted:

Hey! You found it, cool.

Voting for Lasers

Cironian
Sep 8, 2013

occipitallobe posted:

Oh hey! Do you mind if I ask you some questions about game mechanics? (It's pretty neat that you found the thread). Is the willingness of the council nations (or lead nation) to grant an emergency budget based on how happy they are, or does it have to do with your position relative to the aliens? I never quite seem to be able to get an emergency budget funded whenever I feel like I really need one (read: whenever I accidentally lose a whole fleet for nothing). There's a whole bunch of stuff I feel like I should be optimizing but am just not sure how to.

Sure, ask me any mechanics questions you have. That also helps me see where I should still put some work into better in-game explanations. I'll stay out of any strategy discussion though, so sign me up as the Department of Vaguely Defined Analysis and Puppy Daycare. ;)

The basic chance for a council nation to agree to an emergency budget is (that nations current satisfaction - half the nations focus on a balanced budget). You have to get 4 out of 7 votes.

Some nations are a lot more easy going there than others. For your current council the odds would be:

USA: Satisfaction minus 30%
China: Satisfaction minus 10%
Japan: Satisfaction minus 17.5%
Germany: Satisfaction minus 30%
France: Satisfaction minus 25%
UK: Satisfaction minus 22.5%
Brazil: Satisfaction minus 32.5%

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

: Ah, I see the application finally went through. Excellent. This 'Rex Armstrong' fellow appears to be only marginally more intelligent than the average garden toad, but if he keeps blundering his way through to something not entirely unlike success perhaps I'll be able to bring a touch of class to this fleet.

FZH995
Jun 28, 2008
Missiles are pretty great, y'all.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Scintilla posted:

: Ah, I see the application finally went through. Excellent. This 'Rex Armstrong' fellow appears to be only marginally more intelligent than the average garden toad, but if he keeps blundering his way through to something not entirely unlike success perhaps I'll be able to bring a touch of class to this fleet.

BE CAREFUL, MY FORMER COUNTRYMAN. REX MANSTRONG IS IDIOTIC, BUT SEEMINGLY POSSESSED OF MALICIOUS LUCK. HE MAY KILL YOU BY SEEMING ACCIDENT FOR INFRINGING ON HIS GLORY.

I REALLY WISH THE MECHANICUS PRIESTS OF GW PUT A VOLUME CONTROL IN THIS THING.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Cironian posted:

Sure, ask me any mechanics questions you have. That also helps me see where I should still put some work into better in-game explanations. I'll stay out of any strategy discussion though, so sign me up as the Department of Vaguely Defined Analysis and Puppy Daycare. ;)

The basic chance for a council nation to agree to an emergency budget is (that nations current satisfaction - half the nations focus on a balanced budget). You have to get 4 out of 7 votes.

That explains why emergency budgets are so frustratingly hard to bring down. I prefer to use a normal budget whenever I can, but if I take a beating I guess the satisfaction of my council nations tail-dives and consequently getting them to approve more funding is difficult.

My biggest two questions are about the end-of-month reports and various traits.

For instance, is Offensive Performance based on kills? Or is it based on winning battles I initiate? Conversely, is Defensive Performance based on losses, or doing well in defensive battles? Oftentimes I think I've got something nailed down, but there are so many variables that it's easy to make a mistake. Likewise, I'm not really sure what the difference between Political Influence and Command Representation is - is it just the number of each nation's officers/admirals who are in charge?

I assume Personnel Management is about making sure I put the best person for any given job, but I'm not sure. Lastly, is R&D based off how much I researched this month, or how much I researched, say, in comparison to the aliens?

Secondly, do traits have their own file I can pore through? (I'd love to mod in some interesting traits for goons based on whatever happens in battle if it's possible) If not, do Awards have any impact on my officers, or are they purely ornamental?

Also, the second Committee for Logistical Affairs Sleepover was a resounding success, and eventually the members agreed to watch Go Beam or Go Home.

Update will be coming up soon.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

July 7 to August 28: Third Battle of Earth

With a starbase sitting high in Earth's orbit, the human race breaths a sigh of relief. No longer are chemical rockets strapped on to rickety fighters the only thing standing between Earth and annihilation.

Soon after, a new Missile Frigate is commissioned.

Under Commodore Jimmy Bernard, the computerized zombie of Delta Green is put into the engineering section. Seppo Saapasma and Jonathan Richman serve as his tactical and navigation officers respectively. It seems most of Rex Manstrong's former crew are very happy to go back into space once they're assured Manstrong will no longer be in charge.

Soon afterwards research is finished on the Fusion Laser and Mass Driver.

Mere moments after Earth's research is completed, the sensor net picks up another incoming alien fleet. The sound of horrid laughter from Delta Green echoes through the frigate.

With another fleet incoming, the Council hastily approves another budget increase for the Order Fleet.

With the extra money in hand, another frigate is completed.

Rex Manstrong is once again put in charge, citing his bravery and heroism in the First Battle of Earth. Few men, it is said, were willing to sacrifice so much in order to fight the aliens. That Rex Manstrong is not one of the things he is willing to sacrifice goes unsaid. Lieutenant Harold Green is his navigation officer, the mystery man named "Mega" as his tactical and Clint "Knoife" Spidercroc as his engineer. Together it takes them only a few hours to use the ship's pure-water distillation systems to distill what is called "space vodka" by the crew.

The sensors blare, and men prepare themselves for battle. The Third Battle of Earth is about to begin.

With the aliens less than two days away, the two newly-built frigates are sent to the moon. Keeping them out of alien range is crucial, Zapp Brannigan decides over a freshly-made cup of space vodka in the mug Rex Manstrong gave him for his birthday.

The Third Battle for Earth is short, but poignant. (It took about five seconds all-up. It really wasn't worth taking a video of.)

Quite short, in fact.

The Starbase on Earth deals with the incoming alien vessels before the assembled fleet even has a chance to fire their missiles. With huge focal mirrors to direct long-range laser beams and power output exceeding anything any other vessel has, the beams tear through the ship emerging from warp and destroy it within an instant. The Third Battle for Earth is over. A sort of cheer spreads across the planet - humanity prevailed, and with no losses! Perhaps the rest of the war will be this easy.

The Starbase is as powerful as perhaps one-hundred and forty of the new prototype Laser Frigate. The firepower it boasts is beyond tremendous, though it is only around five times as tough. Keeping it alive is a priority - as long as the Starbase remains intact, it would take ten times the fleet that attacked Earth at First Light to pose a credible threat.

After the battle, though, a grim discovery is made.

The aliens have designed their own missile launchers. Armed with antimatter, they are incredibly powerful and dangerous. The after-battle report indicates that had the enemy been permitted to disgorge their missiles, the Starbase could well have been threatened. If Earth is to defend its orbit, some sort of antimissile defenses must be constructed.

Technology & Component Update

The Mass Driver is an excellent weapon. High damage, relatively low power cost for that damage. It does, however, rarely hit at long-range.

The Fusion Laser hits better at range, does a decent amount of damage, and can bypass shields. It uses a huge amount of power, though - to equip a single Fusion Laser on a frigate an additional two auxiliary fusion plants are required. This has the problem of making the ship more vulnerable - if a single one of those plants goes supercritical, the ship goes up.

The Large Nuclear Warhead does more damage and is more accurate than the Bomb-Pumped Laser. It unfortunately is blockable by shields, making it a less ideal choice.

The three different forms of venting for structure, each growing more efficient in terms of the heat they can remove while not making the ship overly weak.

- - - - -

New Ships:

The Laser Frigate is a tentative name for the new frigate bearing a fusion laser.

It has a significantly longer range and higher accuracy than the old Blaster Frigate (which was never brought into service), though it can only fire once - though with around eight times the damage. It is all-in-all an upgrade, however. It takes 20 days, 13 hours to construct.

Secondly designed is the Railgun Frigate. Similar to the Laser Frigate, but with twice the weaponry. Somewhat slower, and needing closer range. The Railgun Frigate may yet prove to be an effective part of the fleet. Like the Laser Frigate, it boasts two auxiliary fusion plants to power its much larger weapons - a direct hit on one of these will invariably destroy the ship. As such, they are much more vulnerable than Blaster and Missile Frigates.

- - - - -

Lastly, instead of asking for research choices, I'm going to ask for strategic direction. This will include our research direction, however.

Should we focus on building a moon base and the defense of the Earth? A moon base would be difficult to defend (and expensive to defend), and would likely yield few resources. However it would allow us to figure out what sort of infrastructure a base needs (and to perform the research required to make such bases) before we aim at larger targets, like Mars. We'd spend a lot of resources on moon colonization that could otherwise go to the fleet, though.

Or alternatively, should we be focusing on warp technology, and taking the fight to the enemy?. It would take us some time (around three months) to research all the technologies needed to build Light Cruisers that could take other ships with them in their wake. We could spend that time building frigates to travel with our transport, however. We would fall behind in infrastructure and all non-hull or warp tech, though.

Lastly, we could focus on improving the fleet by researching destroyers and the technology required to improve them. This would include better weapons, fusion plants, boarding shuttles, auxiliary thrusters and particle beams. We'd be improving the fleet, but we wouldn't get a moonbase and getting our interplanetary capabilities up and running would take more time.

Finally, we'll be researching Space Academy next no matter what. It doesn't take much time and it's pretty useful in the long-term.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
New recruit 'Senator' reporting for duty. Preferably assigned to the rear as a pogue officer.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

occipitallobe posted:

Rex Manstrong is once again put in charge, citing his bravery and heroism in the First Battle of Earth. Few men, it is said, were willing to sacrifice so much in order to fight the aliens. That Rex Manstrong is not one of the things he is willing to sacrifice goes unsaid. Lieutenant Harold Green is his navigation officer, the mystery man named "Mega" as his tactical and Clint "Knoife" Spidercroc as his engineer. Together it takes them only a few hours to use the ship's pure-water distillation systems to distill what is called "space vodka" by the crew.

: Strange, it's built like a coffee mug, but it handles like a beer stein! I think I need an upgrade. Destroyers and even if we don't choose them I claim the first one we make.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Improve the fleet. This is a nice frigate, it was even nicer once the Captain, Mega, Harry and myself put our heads together and worked out how to rewire the water purifier to insert ethanol molecules at a 1:1 ratio. But you know what would be even better? A nicer ship. We need us some proper anti-missile systems to deal with those horrific mass annihilation warheads the aliens are planning on throwing at us, but more important than that is boarding craft! With boarding craft we can finally make use of some real knoifes and I'd like to see an alien who can fire missiles at Earth while I'm rummaging around their internals.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Moooon Base

Investments now will pay off later when we take humanity to Mars and beyond.
Also, can you strip like...12 T of structure/armour off the Railgun frigates, and replace them with 30 MM autocannons?
You seemed to suggest that they'll explode in 1 hit either way, so might as well have them able to put out more fire!

or can you not mix tech levels like that?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Moon base! The more structures we have between us and the aliens, the better.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Improve the fleet.

Mwip57
Aug 30, 2009
We have more officers than ships right now. We should fix this immediately by Improving the Fleet

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Improve the fleet. Moon bases only after we can defend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Fleet on fleet action is required. I demand it.

• Locked thread