Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godna
Feb 4, 2013

occipitallobe posted:

Lieutenant Commander Sol "Shafted" Skaft. Slated to be first in line to board alien ships.

"Go up to Space they say. Fight the aliens they say...Board the bug alien space ships?" :black101: "When I get back they'll be next in line!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Pladdicus posted:

I prefer the immediate damage, since if you can bring down structure you start hurting the ships offense. Though I haven't tested 100% fully upgraded missiles.

The only game I won was in alpha before there was an ending haha.

Question! What's with the odd borders around peoples commanders, is it like, named commanders? And if so I forgot what mine is how can I find that out.

Yeah, this could just be that I'm bad at fleet battles and ship design and so prefer the surety of missile spam even if I lose a few more ships.

Rogue Norwegian posted:

Also. Forgot to ask this before voting, but how fast can we expect the gun destroyers to become obsolete?

Obsolete properly? Real late. Our non-missile destroyers should always (mostly) be able to help take down shields. Most ships can generally do something later on. Obsolete in terms of 'we're going to stop building destroyers with guns'? Honestly, the Battlecruiser obsoletes most non-warp capable ships by itself. The Light Cruiser has 20,000 t worth of space and a 15,000 t warp engine that can carry 40,000 t worth of ships. (so it takes up half of its own warp capacity)

In real terms, the Frigate has 2,250 t worth of free space (with structure, armor, and engines already on board), the Destroyer has 5,325 t worth of free space (likewise including structure, armor, and engines) the Light Cruiser has 3,000 t worth of free space (making it barely better than a Frigate), the Heavy Cruiser has 6,000 t worth of free space (making it the warp-transport version of the Destroyer) and the Battlecruiser has 10,000 t worth of free space. In terms of raw battle capability the Destroyer is just about the best vessel we get until we get the Battlecruiser. (As the Cruisers require more engines to move as quickly as the Destroyer and Frigate respectively, the different in space is even smaller than it seems) The Battleship has 28,500 t of free space and is basically king poo poo of the solar system.

The Heavy Cruiser has 28,500 t worth of space and a 15,000 t warp engine that can carry 43,500 t worth of ships - it can carry 15,000 t worth of ships with it.

The Battlecruiser has 32,000 t worth of space but the warp engine is only 8,000 t - and it can only take itself around unless it has a great navigator. The Battleship has 80,000 t worth of space and the warp engine is 20,000 t - same scenario.

So basically our Destroyers are pretty good ships that really become obsolete as weapons technology (and targeting technology, and shields) gets developed, not solely because of their hull like every ship before them.

Affi posted:

I'll bold it this time!

Sign me up as a pilot please, russian if possible.

Oops, sorry. Sometimes I miss stuff.

The best Russian has a Navigation (which I presume is basically the pilot score) of 7. Out of 100. Alternatively, you could score a sweet French pilot with a Navigation of 70 (best score in the game right now).

legoman727 posted:

I would like to join the fleet.

I'm up for giving my life to Earth.

Kitsch! posted:

Re-enlist me up sir, as Rex 'Kitsch' Power-Colt won't let the earth be taken by some lousy alien punks. These ball-less alien freaks will have wish they hit the sun rather than earth after I'm through with them.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
You know, I'm noticing a problem with this LP.

We haven't got nearly enough silly inspiring names for our ships! FF-4 Missile Frigate is all very well for dinky little corvettes, but surely our capital ships deserve something better! The Advisory Committee should get on this immediately to ensure the morale of our boys and girls in space. After all, how would YOU like fighting on a ship so expendable it doesn't warrant a name?

I propose that ship classes be named after classic X-Com monsters: The Sectoid class, the Cyberdisk class, etc. As for individual ship names, some suggestions!

Suicidal Insanity
Tin Can And A Bottle Rocket
Welcome to Earf
Shielded by Optimism
The Audacity of Hope
I Regret To Inform You
Xenophilia
Don't Worry, *I* Can Hear You Scream!
Explosive Decompressor

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
I support the X-com naming system

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Tomn posted:

You know, I'm noticing a problem with this LP.

We haven't got nearly enough silly inspiring names for our ships! FF-4 Missile Frigate is all very well for dinky little corvettes, but surely our capital ships deserve something better! The Advisory Committee should get on this immediately to ensure the morale of our boys and girls in space. After all, how would YOU like fighting on a ship so expendable it doesn't warrant a name?

I propose that ship classes be named after classic X-Com monsters: The Sectoid class, the Cyberdisk class, etc. As for individual ship names, some suggestions!

Suicidal Insanity
Tin Can And A Bottle Rocket
Welcome to Earf
Shielded by Optimism
The Audacity of Hope
I Regret To Inform You
Xenophilia
Don't Worry, *I* Can Hear You Scream!
Explosive Decompressor

This seems reasonable. Basically everyone seems to have voted for Missile Frigates and Beam/Railgun Destroyers so that's where I'll start. I'm going to build three destroyers first, and then continue constructing frigates. I'm a bit busy today, so I might update tomorrow.

If no-one has any objections, I'll be naming ship classes like so.

Sectoid-M-I (a frigate, carrying missiles, first version).

The larger the ship hull, the more threatening the X-COM enemy will be.

Secondly, I can either write up entertaining ship names, or alternatively have ship captains be given the ability to name their own ships.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
I totally claim the first Chrysalid...only to discover it's the New x-com Chrysalid

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The Chrysalid should be our first boarding vessel, and captained by Christopher Salid. He's a completely normal human being.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
French pilot sounds good! 70 navigation sounds good too!

Since I'm the best navigator I should obviously get the first warp capable ship!

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Since I didn't bold the first time, here's my new application.

I'd like to enlist as "Central" Bradford to keep the XCOM theme.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Sigh me up as Skala Akimova, a Russian engineer. Despite her name there will totally not be any reactors going critical on her watch.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Affi posted:

Since I'm the best navigator I should obviously get the first warp capable ship!

By contrast I am the worst navigator ever and yet was still put in charge of getting my ship to where it needs to go. Which is actually hilariously appropriate. Oh, I do hope there's a chance for catastrophic misjumps when warp drives are developed. :allears:

Teriferin
Oct 30, 2012
I'd like to sign up as a Canadian (or a some other commonwealth nationality)!

I and my endless streams of almost identical relatives are ready to pointlessly die for humanity as many times as it takes.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I just want to say that I love just how much of a hilariously oblivious and smug douche Rex Manstrong is, and I hope he lives all the way to the end of the LP just to spite literally everyone.

Also, Sign me up as well, as Ms. Kit "Kats" Kat, fresh from the anime-est space academy in all of :japan: .. or, anywhere, really. Whatever's most convenient. I'm not fussy. I'd also like to be in something with beams, if possible! Just beams all over the place. Beams everywhere. It's laser beam time.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Sign me up as anyone good at tactical, please!

It's time to let a console explode and kill me, Star-Trek style. Repeatedly.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Scintilla posted:

By contrast I am the worst navigator ever and yet was still put in charge of getting my ship to where it needs to go. Which is actually hilariously appropriate. Oh, I do hope there's a chance for catastrophic misjumps when warp drives are developed. :allears:

Sin is so bad at navigating that she got thrown into tactical instead.

Navigation skill of 1!

I also support captains being allowed to name their own vessels.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

Sin is so bad at navigating that she got thrown into tactical instead.

Navigation skill of 1!

I also support captains being allowed to name their own vessels.

: Oooh, Name any vessel I get my hands on the A.S.S. Manstrong!

....Wait....

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

NewMars posted:

: Oooh, Name any vessel I get my hands on the A.S.S. Manstrong!

....Wait....

AHAHAHAHAHA! I'M RECORDING THIS POSTERITY. COMMAND, ACCOMPLISH HIS WISH.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Teriferin posted:

I'd like to sign up as a Canadian (or a some other commonwealth nationality)!

I and my endless streams of almost identical relatives are ready to pointlessly die for humanity as many times as it takes.

I couldn't find a Canadian - commonwealth nations are getting thin on the ground.

Katsuma posted:

I just want to say that I love just how much of a hilariously oblivious and smug douche Rex Manstrong is, and I hope he lives all the way to the end of the LP just to spite literally everyone.

Also, Sign me up as well, as Ms. Kit "Kats" Kat, fresh from the anime-est space academy in all of :japan: .. or, anywhere, really. Whatever's most convenient. I'm not fussy. I'd also like to be in something with beams, if possible! Just beams all over the place. Beams everywhere. It's laser beam time.

The Japanese Space Academy, otherwise known as the Star Blazers Anime Club, has sent its first recruit into space.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Sigh me up as Skala Akimova, a Russian engineer. Despite her name there will totally not be any reactors going critical on her watch.

mmtt posted:

Since I didn't bold the first time, here's my new application.

I'd like to enlist as "Central" Bradford to keep the XCOM theme.

Arcturas posted:

Sign me up as anyone good at tactical, please!

It's time to let a console explode and kill me, Star-Trek style. Repeatedly.

The best (unclaimed) tactician in the fleet!

Affi posted:

Update will be coming up shortly.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
A fearless frenchman? Now I've seen everything.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

November 2, 2015 to March 1, 2016

Another Missile Frigate is finished.

Sam Starfall is put in command. "The further away from Earth, the less trouble he'll be.", is the word. Even more cynical voices state that it's only really necessary to get him close enough to the aliens and something will happen to them.

We finish our research on superior coolant tanks.

November sees another budget increase.

A research project is finished. New Destroyer weapon, the Ion Pulse Cannon.

Our scanners report a single enemy frigate has been left in Mars orbit. Whether it's one of many being gathered for another assault on Earth, or a defensive ship remains to be seen.

Soon after, Earth's first destroyer is finished.

Put under the command of Captain Tylor, it prepares to join the main fleet around Earth's starbase.

Soon after countermissile measures are researched. The last alien ship we faced had missile launchers. If an alien fleet were to use them, they could do a great deal of damage to our fleet, or the Earth itself.

In December, the standard budget raise comes through once again. With Earth's economy booming due to the influx of recovered alien technology, the economy is showing itself strong enough to support the massive Order budget.

Another month passes fairly tiresomely.

The January budget raise is passed without fanfare or notice.

At the end of January, Boarding Shuttles are completed. Certain voices on the Council have been demanding them for some time, citing their desire to face the enemy in single combat.

A Railgun Destroyer is completed soon after. (Note at this point I'm running out of goon officers for some ships, so I end up putting in nameless ensigns.)

Another budget raise in February.

Note well the names of the Moon Defense Squadron. The captaincy (or most easily recognized officer's name) of each ship should be reasonably obvious.

- - - - -

So, uh, I lost some screenshots, I think. I don't know where. Sure I took them, but my hands are pretty cold so I might've missed the key.

So here's the New Modules coming out of this update.

The Teleforce Projector is pretty ridiculous. 1735 damage. Unfortunately, as shown on the bottom of that picture it requires resources we don't have. We don't even know where to find them!

The Shuttle Bay is huge, and shoots out shuttles to capture enemy ships.

The Proton Beam is one of my personal favorites. Weaker than the Fusion Laser, but with far better accuracy and damage at range. This is the first weapon we can sit on our destroyers and fire from range pretty safely.

The Ion Pulse Cannon is pretty good too. It bypasses armor, letting it hit structure (and components) directly.

Lastly, we picked up the Countermissile Battery. It's great versus missiles, and will be mandatory on most of our screens, or wherever we have spare power on a larger ship that isn't enough for a better weapon.

- - - - - -

Minor Policy Decisions:

Should we Replace our Fusions Lasers with:

Proton Beams. They're more accurate, and barely use any more power. They'll make our ships far more useful from range.

Ion Pulse Cannons. More damage, more power, but only two-thirds as many. They're just as good at range, but they can be stopped by shields - but if they're not, they'll power on through, smashing into structure and crippling ships fast.

Mixture of Both: Get ships armed with either (not both, though), and have some long-range Proton Destroyers (possibly to be Proton Mutons once I work out the ship scheme) and some shorter-ranged Ion Pulse Destroyers.

- - - - - -

Lastly, Alexander Tereshkova, Rex Manstrong, and Mace Snap are all suited to be promoted from Captain to Commodore, if they choose to accept the promotion.

(This is fairly short, as there's a new budget to be decided for the upcoming year!)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
: On the one hand, more money, on the other hand Commodore doesn't sound as good. But, on the mysterious third hand, more money. ...I accept this promotion, as long as it comes with a big commodore hat.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Any chance we could see some Boarding Destroyers, maybe with the anti-missile screens to server a combination defensive/insurgent role?

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
I'll volunteer to Captain the Railgun destroyer...Who needs interesting named officers... :ohdear: I'm going to die.

also. Proton beams!

Godna fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 19, 2014

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Let's fire protons at things.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Protons are of course far superior subatomic particles to Ions and make much better knoifes.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

It is :pcgaming:Proton Beam:pcgaming: o'clock! Pew pew!

Also, because logic dictates longer range = less getting dead, and I don't want to be a Peruvian Voodoo Bot. :ohdear:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
: Well. hey. just call me captain Commodore Proton!

Godna
Feb 4, 2013

NewMars posted:

: Well. hey. just call me captain Commodore Proton!

I'm afraid to me you will forever be Commodore sixty four! :patriot:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Did someone say it's ship design-o'clock?

Meet the Reaper class Assault Destroyer

7200-
1500 Structure +
Multilayered Armour
5700-
900 Fusion B Reactor. Safe as houses
Which makes the ship's core
Makes a ship's core. And provides 50.6 power for starters

First, defenses!

4800-
132 Pulsed ECM Emitter 50.6-6.6 = 44
4668t

So, we want Shuttle bays, counter missiles, and LOTS OF SPEED. (also Ion Pulse Cannon. or mass drivers if it makes balancing power easier)

Since I see no mention of crew quarters in the design options, we'll play it safe and go with a mix of:

4668-
4x400 4 shuttle bays 44-(4x4) = 28
3068-
6x80 6 Counter Missile batteries 28-(6x2.4)= 13.6
2588-
2x90 2 Ion Pulse Cannon 13.6-(18.9x2) = -22.8

So we need another reactor, easy

2408-
900 Fusion B Safe -22.8+50.6 = 27.8

So we can have up to 1508 in thrusters which giiives
1508 T Fusion Thrusters. which takes 30 MW of power. Fiddlesticks. Ion Pulse Cannons had the better point blank damage too. of course, I've no idea if we NEED to strip the shields off the enemy. I'd rather be prepared than awkwardly surprised.
Switching to Proton Beams gives another 50t of thrusters, and regains a massive 11.8 MW of power, so maybe that

So, tl;dr

Reaper Assault Destroyer
Structure + Multilayered Armour
2x Fusion B with safetys
1558t Fusion Thrusters
6x Counter Missile Batteries
4x Shuttle Bays
2x Proton Beams
Phased ECM

Mass Drivers provide similar performance, so if our boarding crews would rather fill space with deadly debris, the Proton Beams can be exchanged for Mass Drivers. I think either way you're going to need 2 fusion Bs.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 19, 2014

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why would you have shuttles and guns on a ship? Isn't the point of shuttles to get in there and apply chainsaw-to-face-or-face-equivalent without needing to chew through shields and armour first?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You know, I didn't think of it, but it's kind of a stroke of genius to put the counter-missiles on a speed ship. If it's the first one in the enemy's face, it's got first crack to start shooting down their missiles.

imajumberjack
Aug 5, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Why would you have shuttles and guns on a ship? Isn't the point of shuttles to get in there and apply chainsaw-to-face-or-face-equivalent without needing to chew through shields and armour first?
But what are the crew supposed to do while the boarding guys are welcoming the aliens to Earf.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
While some multiroleness is generally a good idea I think mixing an assault ship and a boarding ship is probably not one of those. We'd be better off making dedicated boarding vessels to move in after our main fleet has disabled the enemy, though there's probably no point at all to boarding vessels until we learn how to properly fight in space. And I don't mean spaceship fights I mean proper fights; I'm all for going over and giving one of those bugs a punch to the face and a knoife to the gut but I don't think we're quite there yet.

Just because we can board them doesn't mean we should.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's only like 160T of guns anyhow. I mean, I guess you could replace them with anti-missiles, or just more engines.
It's hardly like the Assault role in this case is getting up in the enemy's face and giving them a murderous shotgun. Its main role is to smack down enemy missile salvos as close to the missile tubes as practical. the fact that they'll be ideally poised to throw mens onto the enemy ships is just a serendipitous coincidence.

Plus there may be targets that are just plain too big to capture. Or for clearing out lighter vessels.

Plus completely defenseless ships make me nervous. 2 Mass Drivers/Proton cannons won't carry a fight on their own, but when whittling down a larger target, well.
(this was also why I was favouring Ion Pulse Cannons. that 15% armour skip is 15% free dead opposition).

Also, we have a certain amount of manpower to use. If the Aliens have more ships, then they might as well be doing something besides spewing anti-missiles. I mean, what if the enemy doesn't bring any missile boats of its own.
I was debating only packing 2 shuttle bays to give more space for thrusters, since you'd get another 700t of engine if you swapped 2 shuttles out for more anti-missile batteries. Though whether you'd hit power issues, I dunno.

Neruz posted:

While some multiroleness is generally a good idea I think mixing an assault ship and a boarding ship is probably not one of those. We'd be better off making dedicated boarding vessels to move in after our main fleet has disabled the enemy, though there's probably no point at all to boarding vessels until we learn how to properly fight in space. And I don't mean spaceship fights I mean proper fights; I'm all for going over and giving one of those bugs a punch to the face and a knoife to the gut but I don't think we're quite there yet.

Just because we can board them doesn't mean we should.

This is incorrect. Always Be BOOSHING

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 19, 2014

Teriferin
Oct 30, 2012
Proton Beams are the clear answer.

If they're good enough for the LHC, they're good enough for us!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veloxyll posted:

This is incorrect. Always Be BOOSHING

Very well, then you can be the point guard for the first boarding attempt. We shall ensure that your heroics are recorded for all humanity to see and also to learn from.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

The Lone Badger posted:

You're assuming the shuttles can't be targets(Somehow I doubt this) and will always succeed should they get through(same again). There is also the presumption that shields don't need to be brought down to attempt a boarding action. The ship should be able to do something should the assault attempt(s) fail, or to aid in the boarding attempt.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 19, 2014

Rogue Norwegian
Apr 6, 2011
On the condition that we call batteries of proton beams "Proton Packs" I'm all for Proton beams

lizurcainnon
May 5, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

4668-
3068-
6x80 6 Counter Missile batteries 28-(6x2.4)= 13.6
2588-

Shuttle bays carry 1 or 2 shuttles at 100 tons apiece, so the actual size is 500 or 600. They will draw 20 crew/shuttle from the ship, unless you add special crew quarters attached to the bay for 80 more tons regardless of the # of shuttles in the bay (so 580 or 680 tons). Destroyers have 500 crew, so they can spare 160 for boarding without impacting ship functions, which starts somewhere around 60% remaining crew.

Shuttles are listed as speed 4.0 and have 10hp, though I believe they're harder to hit than missiles (120% evasion vs 80% for missiles), and missiles are really hard to hit without dedicated point-defence weapons and fire control bonuses.

Countermissile batteries come loaded with 1 missile weighing 0.2 tons. Additional missiles can be added at 0.2 tons each, up to 50.

With 1 shuttle per bay, no extra crew quarters, and 1 countermissile per battery, only 1156 thrusters can be fit for a base speed of 4.82, and a heat deficit of 616.4MMBTU/h (5.6 rounds to overheat) on the Reaper Assault Destroyer. The heat problem is easily solved with the available Shielded Exhaust Ports used on other destroyer designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Did someone say it's ship design-o'clock?

Ah, gosh, I feel like a jerk. I forgot to note two things.

Firstly, each non-beam weapon has limited ammo. Missile launchers fire missiles, countermissile launchers fire countermissiles, and shuttle launchers fire shuttles. For the missile launchers we have now all ammunition weighs 10t (you can have up to 50 missiles per launcher). For countermissile launchers, ammunition weighs 0.2t per unit.

For shuttles, we can have up to 2 shuttles per launcher and they weigh 200t apiece.

Second, we can integrate shuttle crew quarters for 80t - our shuttles will no longer drain crew from the ship when sent over. This is useful if we're on extended campaign (or we're super worried about wasting really good crew), but I prefer a manly mode of war where our crewmen are both drafted from the bottom of the barrel and get to go on exciting missions where they face off against massively superior alien enemies!

edit: Or you know, what the guy above me said. I didn't know when crew loss impaired ship function, so that's cool to know. (I really should've tested it in the crew assignment function, but there's a whole bunch of mechanics in this game and missing a few is pretty easy.)

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 19, 2014

• Locked thread