Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Yuri Gagarin reporting for duty!

I also throw my vote in for Zapp Brannigan leading the Supervisory Council of the United States, China, India, Brazil, Nigeria, Germany, and Japan. Every continent gets represented, and I think it's a good balance between min-maxing our industry and making sure the most populous countries are represented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I, too, have heard many tales of the infamous Indonesian necromancers. :allears:

70% Research, 15% Production and 15% Recruitment. Only the light of science can bring us victory, comrades!

Alien ship analysis first, and then Shielded exhaust ports, because I have a bad feeling about unshielded 2 meter exhaust ports.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Comrades, having weighed our options, I must suggest we focus on training our Officers. Combating these imperialists will require, as you say, "the right stuff".

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Return unconditionally, and Frigates.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Orbital infrastructure and no afterburners.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The engine cannot heed the engineer;
Things fall apart; the chamber cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

His name was Delta Green.

Good night, Comrade. :ussr:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Humanity has been using Missiles in one form or another for our entire existence, no need to change our ways now.

Does the crew of a ship only consist of the captain plus the three officers, mechanically? Also, how many non-goon casualties have we had so far?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Do we need warp technology before we can go to other planets? If not, then I think we should send a scouting expedition to Mars.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I suggest we launch a reconnaissance mission to Mars. We don't need to launch a full assault and actually take the planet, just send the light cruiser and maybe some screens and see what we can see, and then run home. Does that provide us anything useful in this game?

I, being the first man in space, of course volunteer to captain a ship on this expedition. First man in Mars orbit, baby! I mean, it is of course a team effort, Comrades.

(I can do that right? Being a commander?)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is there any advantage to launching a small attack to scout (i.e. do we gain anything game-mechanically)? If there is, then we should send a small force to probe the enemy defenses.

Otherwise, we must render righteous judgement against the imperialists! We have parried their blow, now it is time for the riposte!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Neruz posted:

Hah I knew it, I don't know if they've done this whole invasion of an inhabited starsystem before or not but they have definitely never fought another intelligent species with spacefaring capability. They put the Tesseractite on the moon because it was supposed to be safe, hell I bet their scouts surveyed this system while we were still poking each other full of holes with swords.

They're not stupid, they've just never fought anyone with enough of a technology base to actually fight back. This is hugely important information because if true it means we might actually stand a chance against the bugs.

Which leads me to believe that we are at a point where we need to act swiftly. Now that they know we have warp technology, they will not remain complacent. We need to take advantage of their unpreparedness to take Mars, and possibly go further, so that we have defense-in-depth for when they inevitably respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Neruz posted:

It is too late for swiftness, that starbase will annihilate anything we put anywhere near it. But unfortunately we appear to be demonstrating the primary failing of democracy right here and are going to go get ourselves killed anyway.

There may have been an opportunity for swiftness if we had managed to keep a hold of that Light Cruiser we captured instead of blowing it up but the aliens superior tech base and scientific knowledge suggests that any window for swiftness would be extremely brief as they appear to learn very quickly and have some way to send information back to their commanders even if every ship is destroyed.

Instead I think we are simply going to have to try and stay one step ahead of the aliens, we've clearly put more thought into space combat than they have so we should be able to stay ahead of the game tactically while we try and catch up strategically.

Our primary focus should be working out these alien technologies; we're going to have a hell of a time defeating enemies with antimatter power sources while using mere fission and fusion for power ourselves. When you have an entire order of magnitude more energy available to throw at your enemies you don't need to be smart about how you do it.

Pladdicus posted:

Guys, cruisers blow as dedicated fighters. Get enough to carry the fleet, the rest should be tanky destroyers. The starbase'll likely hit us before we get a turn to act, and it can probably wipe out two dozen ships a turn.

Starbases and defensive platforms have a lot more fire power than they do defense, but they're still beefy as hell right now.

You two have convinced me that attacking Mars now is a bad idea, but is there any guarantee that attacking it later won't be a worse idea? Now that the starbase is there, it's there to stay, and the imperialists will definitely reinforce it with more ships. Will there ever be a point in time where we will not take horrendous losses on the attack?

VostokProgram posted:

Is there any advantage to launching a small attack to scout (i.e. do we gain anything game-mechanically)? If there is, then we should send a small force to probe the enemy defenses.

Otherwise, we must render righteous judgement against the imperialists! We have parried their blow, now it is time for the riposte!

Still, I change my vote to render righteous judgement against the imperialists, but only when the Council orders it.

• Locked thread