Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I live in nj.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

THS posted:

i took real rear end driving school tho cause my parents arent lovely dumb

driving school lol

pay attention the road and dont drive drunk class dismissed

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Yaldabaoth posted:

"It's a two lane road and the car in front of me is going the speed limit but I'm still going to risk getting hit by oncoming traffic to pass it because I'm a high-strung shitcock who can't calm the gently caress down and enjoy life"
Keep in mind for a lot of places the law is when you're holding up x number of cars on a 2 lane you're supposed to pull into the shoulder and let them pass. People who drive slower than the flow of traffic (regardless of what the actual speed limit is) are demonstrably and quantifiably more dangerous than people driving at the flow of traffic or a couple miles faster. Telling yourself "I'm going the speed limit!" might make it feel more justified but there's been several studies that people who pull that poo poo cause way more accidents than the dudes who go 5 over. A couple states (like my own) are actually starting to crack down and ticket people who drive slow in the fast lane because empirical evidence has shown they're way more of a nuisance than the guy doing 70 on a 60.

Basically what I'm saying is if you get passed constantly while driving you're not only a bad driver but are an active danger to everyone around you because you're essentially a rolling obstacle.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Daedra posted:

driving school lol

actually youd be surprised how much is involved in driving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auXl8CaNTt0

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Daedra posted:

driving school lol

I saw this guy taking the written test and he had an interpreter. The lady would read the interpreter the questions and he'd reiterate it to the guy who would say something in a foreign language and the interpreter would write it down.

I asked someone else working there what was stopping him from marking the correct answer even when the guy was totally wrong. He said that there really was no safeguard against that

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Daedra posted:

driving school lol

by the way the second one is optional

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

I always loved that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdN-bMINcc

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

I was watching part 1 and was in general just floored at the number of accidents in a 4 way intersection. Like someone not looking before they change lanes (or not seeing someone due to a blind spot) is obviously bad but kind of understandable. That's the kind of mistake that's some people make more than others but almost everyone makes now and then. It's something you watch out for when driving on a freeway, like if you're in the second to most left lane and you see a bimmer coming up on a retard driving the speed limit in the fast lane, you just know the bmw driver is going to swerve around them without looking, it's nearly a given. It's the type of mistake you actively watch out for because it's something almost everyone does now and then, hence why safe driving includes not pacing the guy besides you.

But like, just driving through a green light and having someone make a cross traffic turn in front of me? That's straight up something I never expect to happen. Like hopefully I'd break in time or whatever but I never approach an intersection and think "what if that car in the left turn lane just randomly made decides to go now?". That's not something you could do through negligence, that's an active decision you're making.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i always ride with nunchakus

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I tried to get my mother to teach me to drive but she just couldn't cope with it. She kept freaking out so I paid for a drivers school. I think I ended up paying about $300 start to finish including the test and had a great teacher and it was worth it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I AM GOD'S loving GREATEST GIFT TO DRIVING AND SO GOD drat GOOD, EVERYONE ELSE IS A loving RETARD
-me, irl when driving

SF driving has always sucked though OP. even with massive techie gentrifications, most of em don't own cars which is good. it's probably just bad right now cause it's tourist season. i really hated driving there and always have, especially at night. random one way streets that have no visible signs, lanes that are barely marked or get confused with streetcar tracks, everyone honking because you're trying to make a legal left turn but there's no protected turn lane, lovely parking, bikers that just run through everything because gently caress it, or getting stuck behind critical mass.

though I live in Berkeley, and it's a law that if you're a pedestrian then you need to wear all black at night and walk the poorly lit crosswalks (seriously most of them have lights pointing away into a tree or something, wtf) back and forth. oh yeah there are parked cars right next to the crosswalks on both sides so you can't see them until they're in the street. so each place has something lovely.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 6, 2014

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
people say drivers are bad in a lot of the country but what they usually mean is, they know how to drive and are bad at it.

people in seattle just kind of wing it

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

I am a San Francisco native. One of the perks of this was growing up in a city where people knew how to drive. They knew how to drive because they had to be aware of a lot of potential hazards all the time.

As many of you know, San Francisco is going through a huge amount of gentrification. Much of this is douchebags who learned to drive in areas where people drive like poo poo because there isn't much to deal with. These people are now driving all over the place in San Francisco and are just terrible. They don't understand how to make proper turns and instead will often make wide turns into other peoples lanes. Running stop signs is also pretty common.

It also sucks dealing with people who don't understand the right of way. Ugh.

And the worst are the people who turn right in order to make a left turn. Gee thanks for almost hitting me by driving into my lane because you didn't slow down to make a safe turn.

Of course, the bicyclists are the worst and should all day.

Ok, go ahead and tldr and poop on this thread. Good day.

i drive in san francisco daily and i can tell you that

cyclists deserve dearh

women deserve to be maimed

the chinese need to be deported

the old people gassed

the teenagers conscripted

the cops processed into lard

the black people all jay walking at once on turk street hit by a convoy of trucks

and me? i deseve to get t boned by a loving bus

i hate san francisco and i hope it gets destroyed

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Copley Depot posted:

i live in the midwest and i can't parallel park

It's weird right?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Everyone is a lovely driver except me. My life is one of constant rage.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Kombotron posted:

i drive in san francisco daily and i can tell you that

why do you subject yourself to that? i only ever do it once in a blue moon (i.e. working at the office till 3am). i've joined the ranks of being a dick entitled biker with bringing my bike on bart and dick biking to everyplace i need to go cause it's a lot less stressful (plus exercise owns). at least i don't have a fixie tho

also but yea turk street is pretty bad.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

I am a San Francisco native. One of the perks of this was growing up in a city where people knew how to drive.

hahahahahahh this is some good poo poo

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

Pawn 17 posted:

I love how some fucks will always honk when you are waiting for people to cross the street in the cross walk before turning. What do they expect when you hear the honk? For you to run down the people walking?

its to wake up the cretinous pedestrians so they move faster.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Kombotron posted:

listen goonsire, my vagina is wet and i just got a hot sext so i need to slow down and waddle across this sidewalk and text them back

(i've seen a chick jaywalk across the street and stop/slow to a crawl in the middle of jaywalking to check their phone and then acted very surprised when they got honked at)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Kombotron posted:

While this seems excessive you do occasionally run across pedestrians you just wish you were allowed to drive over. I dunno why some people decide why crosswalks are the place they need to test just how slow they can walk but it can get pretty ridiculous. Like once or twice I've had people literally stop while having a conversation in the middle of the road and it's like what am I going to do, hit them? I hope they cross an inattentive driver someday.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
It's a multi-lane one way street. You want to turn left? Then do it from the left-most lane you stupid gently caress, not the center lane.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kombotron posted:

i hate san francisco and i hope it gets destroyed

Yep. Well, no. I just want all the immigrants to SF to be destroyed. The city loving sucks now.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I live in Vermont and everyone is a really good driver, but I learned to drive from my Masshole dad so I get pissed off at how politely everyone drives.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Spakstik posted:

Everyone is a lovely driver except me. My life is one of constant rage.

This, a thousand times over. I hate LA and OC traffic so drat much. People from a million different cultures, all driving using a mish-mash of driving techniques brought from their homelands, mixed with a little American stupidity for flavor.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
parallel parking is the easiest thing ever, provided you can keep track of three steps in your tiny reptilian brain

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Yep. Well, no. I just want all the immigrants to SF to be destroyed. The city loving sucks now.

it always sucked donkeycballs

im not gomna run for mayor oh wait yes i am haha

look at me im a loving puppet mayor im gonna suck willie browns dick numnumnum

time to approve every construction project and clog all the streets

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

parallel parking is the easiest thing ever, provided you can keep track of three steps in your tiny reptilian brain

It helps if you push both cars out of the way with your front and rear bumper and be out of there before both drivers wake up in the morning.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i hate people that change their mind about what lane they want to be in, after im already starting to pass them

nearly been in an accident twice because of this. please use turn signals and dont be a loving moron thank you

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kombotron posted:

time to approve every construction project and clog all the streets

There is way too much construction going on. And at times they'll do the streets for entire neighborhoods. It's just bad planning. Oh Twitter, you want to rent tax free? Sure, go for it. At least there is good food and Union Square is actually pretty cool for shopping now. Hm...the city has gone full on capitalistic..I guess that explains Union Square.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Tsinava posted:

no one in california knows how to drive.

I grew up on the west coast. I shamefully have to agree with this post.

The number of people who can't drive in the loving rain is amazing.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
where i live they like to coordinate construction so every road going north/south is done at the same time

sometimes they block off an entire usable lane for a mile, because they were thinking about putting some tar down, at one spot, later this month.

also whoever programmed the light cycles is an rear end in a top hat who thinks its funny for a a green light to turn red, moments after the light before it turns green.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

A lot of people in the south bay of Los Angeles make these grand concessions for motorcycles like waiting for you to go first at 4 way stops even though they've had right of way for 10 seconds before you stopped there. Just loving go and stop holding up traffic.

No, just because I'm behind you doesn't mean I want to lanesplit around you. Stop veering 5 meters to the right into the bike lane to let me "pass." Shits dangerous yo.

Hey, this biker's three car spaces behind me and I've been trying to merge into his lane for the last quarter mile is he going to pop a wheelie over my car if I go? Let's wait another quarter mile and see. OK here I go . . . no wait let me get back into my original lane.

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school
I ran a stop sign and almost rear ended someone during my driving test and they still passed me. Arkansas rules.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014
I almost got hit head-on the other night by some fuckhead that was flat-out driving 60 mph in the passing lane on my side of the road. It was late, but there are these really bright, double yellow lines, you dickhead.

gently caress you hard, random rear end in a top hat.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

learn to drive in michigan where turn signals are optional, everyone has the right of way, the speed limit is double what the signs say and all the roads are half concrete half dirt pitted minefields. gg fuckin motor city dont parallel park for no one

affluence = poo poo driver here too, this must be a constant everywhere.

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
Why don't people turn on their signal when they're switching lanes? How uncivilized!

eternalbuffalo
Jun 8, 2005

Life still hard.
Apparently even though every car comes with turn signals, nobody in this frigging city will use them. Are you going left? Are you going right? Who knows! It's..... driving roulette!

Seriously, though, gently caress people who don't use their turn signals.

I was driving down a thin road the other day, cars parked on my right side, left side totally free and clear. I had nowhere to tuck in to let oncoming traffic go, so I presumed that people would be smart enough to realize that they needed to yield, as I was unable to. Instead of that happening, a man in a silver Honda accelerated through from the opposite side and we found ourselves almost touching side mirrors. He stomped on his brakes and started screaming at me through his open window, calling me a bitch, etc.

I guess I could have returned the favor but instead I just flipped him the middle finger and kept driving. I was very bemused to see, in my rearview mirror, that he switched into reverse (presumably to turn and chase me) for a few moments before continuing on his way.

gently caress you, buddy, where was I supposed to park? On top of the cars to my right? I forgot my monster truck at home.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i disdain old people who drive

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW
indian ppl are objectively the worst drivers in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW

Tsinava posted:

no one in california knows how to drive.
only good thing about ca drivers is how theyre always in a hurried state so u can drive double the posted speed limit anywhere and not look like an rear end

• Locked thread