Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reign Of Pain posted:

If you are driving in the passing lane passing nothing but the time you need to go buttfuck yourself to death with a broken bottle. You are not the speed setter....The police do that(especially in Virginia).

The PASSING lane is for PASSING CARS not the time shitcunts.

If you're one of those people that cut in line at the last second because you think your time is more important than everyone elses you should take a nose dive off a cell tower and land eye 1st on a sharp stick.

And the motherfucking shitstain that thought it would be a good idea to shutdown 150+ miles of 2 lanes of I-35 from Austin to Dallas all at the same loving time just so they could work on a mile at a time needs to die of eye cancer and rectal cancer while on fire. THERE ARE loving TREES GROWING IN THE HOLES WHERE PERFECTLY GOOD LANES WERE YOU FUCKERS! Why not 20 miles at a time? :suicide:

Don't forget about having to dodge all those double length log trucks on those same little roads that might have a bit of string and a reflector instead of metal and wood to stop you plumetting to your death.

tldr but you're probably an rear end in a top hat driver so congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Robo Reagan posted:

tldr but you're probably an rear end in a top hat driver so congrats

and you're probably a human being

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
no guys see i can imagine a car burning gas, i cant imagine million ton tankers burning whats essentially crude oil and airplanes circling burning gallons of jet fuel so cars are the problem

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reign Of Pain posted:

and you're probably a human being

guilty

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

no guys see i can imagine a car burning gas, i cant imagine million ton tankers burning whats essentially crude oil and airplanes circling burning gallons of jet fuel so cars are the problem

Wait so it doesn't matter if youre pumping poo poo out into this beautiful planet as long as there's other people producing greater levels of poo poo? Pretty sure there's a bunch of non harmful methods of transport you could use instead e.g. bicycle, skateboard, hand glider, pogo, roller skates, walking.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
riding a bicycle is a death sentence in my town lol

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Cream_Filling posted:

also how many cars worth of exhaust does a single chinese factory produce hmmmmmmmmmm a lot

its why I dont use at least one set of catalytic converters because gently caress china

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Wait so it doesn't matter if youre pumping poo poo out into this beautiful planet as long as there's other people producing greater levels of poo poo? Pretty sure there's a bunch of non harmful methods of transport you could use instead e.g. bicycle, skateboard, hand glider, pogo, roller skates, walking.

the emissions of whatever gay organic poo poo you eat to power that bike are probably worse than just driving your fat rear end around

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
It is extremely cool to live in a pancake flat state. Lol if you can't see obstacles from 3 miles away

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

It is extremely cool to live in a pancake flat state. Lol if you can't see obstacles from 3 miles away

Just have to watch out for that corn visibility factor

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

ArbitraryC posted:

The "chill" driver is the catalyst for the accident though, if they weren't there everyone else would just be going their 5 or whatever over and there wouldn't randomly be a guy doing 35 on a road all the locals drive 40+ on. They really tried to correlate speeding with accident risks to have some valid motivations behind speeding tickets and such but every study ever done on it has shown that if everyone else is going 5 over the least safe person is the one doing the speed limit and the most likely to be involved in the accident.

Now you can say that's the other drivers fault for trying to pass inappropriately or tailgating or other road rage things, which is fair, but it still wouldn't have happened if the slow driver wasn't there in the first place. It's a Two wrongs don't make a right situation.

If you're driving slow on a 2 lane highway, pullover at the nearest convenient spot and let the pile of cars behind you pass. In my state after a certain number of cars that is literally the law (though it is seldom enforced). If you're driving slow in the left lane on a multi lane freeway then I really just don't know what's wrong with you to the point where you'd be that clueless.

Any sort of point is totally moot, because 5 under guy is the same guy who enters the freeway 20mph under the speed limit, making the onramp a deathtrap for any cars behind them.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Ha ha, I've just:

A) got a new job 3 miles from my flat
B) bought a push bike to travel there and back.

Your problems are no longer my problems! In fact, I pity you, you sad, bestial, traffic jam inhabiting losers. While you're sat fuming in your 2 tonne prison cell due to congestion/roadworks/diverted traffic/accidents/special events etc etc etc, I'm smugly cruising past you on my completely uninterrupted journey to work and back.

:smug:

:smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Well shame on me for being more environmentally conscious than you and for not wanting to leave a massive carbon footprint behind as my legacy when i die.

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Way to justify pumping out tons of toxic smoke by saying gently caress it everyone does it. I personally like having polar ice caps and rainforests etc.

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

I like when people act like cars are the literal only cause of greenhouse gases and get all militant about something they don't really understand.
Also not everybody owns a car to commute (some people actually enjoy driving) but its laughable to say you could to 50-100 miles in a day while carrying hundreds of pounds of tools so I don't think a bicycle or pogo stick would work for my commute.
But if it makes you feel any better, I don't need to pass emissions and I've been thinking about taking my cat/muffler/etc out.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Umiapik posted:

Ha ha, I've just:

A) got a new job 3 miles from my flat
B) bought a push bike to travel there and back.

Your problems are no longer my problems! In fact, I pity you, you sad, bestial, traffic jam inhabiting losers. While you're sat fuming in your 2 tonne prison cell due to congestion/roadworks/diverted traffic/accidents/special events etc etc etc, I'm smugly cruising past you on my completely uninterrupted journey to work and back.

:smug:

:smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Winter is coming.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I drive a motorcycle and am content with the fact that I don't need to pass any emissions tests and my bike fucks up the environment as bad as 2, maybe 3 cars.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

It's not my fault the mods can't read

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Waltzing Along posted:

I wish the city would hire a poo poo ton more cops to just cruise around citing the bicyclists. What? You don't have an ID? Ok, being it to the station and pay your fine to get your bike back, fucker.

haha it's not an issue of manpower. cops give bikes a wide berth because every study that's ever been done on the subject says when someone replaces car trips with bike trips, it's objectively better for society in every measureable way. so throwing red tape in front of cyclists is bad for everyone, because we're so great

sorry you suck, freeloader.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

OMGVBFLOL posted:

haha it's not an issue of manpower. cops give bikes a wide berth because every study that's ever been done on the subject says when someone replaces car trips with bike trips, it's objectively better for society in every measureable way. so throwing red tape in front of cyclists is bad for everyone, because we're so great

I LOL when I read the stories of the bicyclists getting killed and the driver is never found at fault because reasons. I grew up bicycling in the city. It was fine. Then the city got overrun by bikers and critical mass and you guys are all loving human being douchebags. I wouldn't care if you'd stop at stop signs, but nooooo. Gotta run em. All the time. Even in traffic. Fucktards.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

OMGVBFLOL posted:

when someone replaces car trips with bike trips, it's objectively better for society in every measureable way

Until your city passes laws which require 30ft of bike lanes to be a part of every road, effectively ceasing the creation of new roads, and spends billions of dollars to extend the sea wall to create an underwater bike tunnel. And still maybe 10 people ride their bikes to work.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
yep my city & I also think state's largest single expenditure in its entire history is underwater bike tunnels that nobody is going to use
pet issue voters woo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Waltzing Along posted:

I LOL when I read the stories of the bicyclists getting killed and the driver is never found at fault because reasons. I grew up bicycling in the city. It was fine. Then the city got overrun by bikers and critical mass and you guys are all loving human being douchebags. I wouldn't care if you'd stop at stop signs, but nooooo. Gotta run em. All the time. Even in traffic. Fucktards.

critical mass is about the dumbest thing ever. i sometimes hope someone just snaps and pulls this whenever i get stuck trying to go across a road (as a pedestrian and a biker, had that happen twice) when it's going on.

hint: pissing people off, especially people who would generally agree with better bike lanes/etc, is generally not a productive form of protest. biking owns, but disobeying basic traffic signs all the time means you should kill yourself

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 8, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Xaris posted:

hint: pissing people off, especially people who would generally agree with better bike lanes/etc, is generally not a productive form of protest. biking owns, but disobeying basic traffic signs all the time means you should kill yourself

This. If I see a biker stop at a stop sign I will almost always concede the right of way, if it doesn't inconvenience other drivers around me. If I am stopped and a biker doesn't and I have the right of way, I just start driving and honking at them.

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW

OMGVBFLOL posted:

"bikers are great" is a pov shared by no one but smelly poor bikers

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

When people on bikes don't stay in traffic lanes and drive down the side lane while the rest of traffic is stopped that pisses me off to no end. They bitch about people in cars all the time but then they can't follow basic driving laws. Yeah I hit you with my mirror you rear end in a top hat you weren't on the road and acting like a douchebag. Stay in your lane.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Waltzing Along posted:

This. If I see a biker stop at a stop sign I will almost always concede the right of way,

This drives me crazy. You're the only car at this intersection, so you're the only reason I stopped at all you dumbfuck, go already.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 8, 2014

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Driving in Germany loving owns. I got bumped up to an Audi A3 a few months ago 'cause the rental place overbooked the economy cars, and even though it's not the fastest car in the world it beats the hell out of the Toyota Aygo I had been driving for months before. It was so nice to be able to just floor it when the highway was fairly spare.

And people actually understand that the left lane is for PASSING ONLY! Traffic was always fast and smooth and flowing even if there were a lot of cars and semis on the road because people respected and obeyed this rule. Also, people will flash their blinkers when they are approaching a major slowdown and it has a ripple effect of everybody having more time to slow down rather than coming to a sudden stop, preventing massive buildups you have in the US or other countries.

Driving in Brussels however is a loving nightmare, especially at night on the weekends. The taxi drivers are all cunts that will cut you off constantly, some of the large roundabouts have a million lanes of chaos with trams and busses cutting through them, pedestrians will just randomly cross the street without even looking for oncoming vehicles (pedestrians always have right of way unless it's a controlled intersection). You're always a bit on edge while driving through the city, but I suppose that might be a good thing because I can only count maybe two or three accidents I've seen here in the past year.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I wish "same rules, same road" meant that getting into a crash with a bicyclist at 20 mph would just be considered a "fender bender".

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

bicyclists are the worst

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Bicyclists are fine as long as they obey traffic laws and maintain the same speed as the usual flow of traffic for whatever lane they're in. The assholes riding slowly in the regular lanes of 45MPH+ highways or the ones in town struggling to hit 10MPH up gentle inclines on their hipster bikes, however, are just as bad as people who think that driving 30MPH in the left lane of an Interstate is a good idea.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dennyk posted:

Bicyclists are fine as long as they obey traffic laws and maintain the same speed as the usual flow of traffic for whatever lane they're in. The assholes riding slowly in the regular lanes of 45MPH+ highways or the ones in town struggling to hit 10MPH up gentle inclines on their hipster bikes, however, are just as bad as people who think that driving 30MPH in the left lane of an Interstate is a good idea.

"but i dont want to get too sweaty!" - heard irl

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
The "I'm more important than you, so I need to be in front of you" drivers really get me.
There have been times when I'm following the flow of traffic and keeping a safe steady distance from the wall of cars ahead of me on the interstate and I get someone flashing their lights wanting to pass to get in front of me. There's no place for them to go if they were to get in front of me.

One of the scariest moments I had driving was at a point where the two interstates in the area merge. The bypass interstate has two lanes. The right lane ends and the left goes to the exit I needed to get off at. I'm on the main intestate and there was a safe distance between cars and they were going a steady speed. As soon as I turned on my turn signal this white Dodge pickup in the left lane surges forward trying to fill the gap and I end up cutting him off and he starting honking angrily and continues this on the way down the exit ramp. There are two left turn lanes and he pulls on my driver's side and rolled down his window and starts screaming at me at the top of his lungs and continues to honk. I'm sitting at the red light just staring straight ahead which only made him angrier. He was shrieking, "LOOK AT ME!" and I continue to ignore him. Thankfully he didn't follow me any further after that.

As for the tailgaters, that's something else I don't get. At highway speeds you have no reaction time if someone has to slow down.

A little over a year ago I had some lady tailgating me for about 4 miles on the interstate while I was in the far right lane and was going about 5 miles over the speed limit of 65.
There was pickup with a trailer about 100 feet ahead of me that started to slow down to pull off onto the shoulder and I had to apply my brakes to safely keep distance and I suddenly hear tires screeching behind me and half expected I was about to get rear-ended, but glanced in my rear view to see the lady losing control of her car after she slammed on her brakes and hitting the barrier on the right side and bouncing back into the lane.

A few years ago, I used to see at least one person a day driving with their hazard lights on, but that's gone down a lot. I could never figure out why they were doing that. These were people who were going the speed limit on a dry road.

Lately I've been seeing more and more people making left turns at red lights. While it's legal to do that if you're turning left onto a one-way street, these are not.

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

i share ur pain and hatred.

:orks:

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

This drives me crazy. You're the only car at this intersection, so you're the only reason I stopped at all you dumbfuck, go already.

u enter our road even tho ur a glorified pedestrian and u still have disdain when we show u curteousy? We could crush u like a bug u hippy bum

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

Turmoil posted:

The "I'm more important than you, so I need to be in front of you" drivers really get me.
There have been times when I'm following the flow of traffic and keeping a safe steady distance from the wall of cars ahead of me on the interstate and I get someone flashing their lights wanting to pass to get in front of me. There's no place for them to go if they were to get in front of me.

One of the scariest moments I had driving was at a point where the two interstates in the area merge. The bypass interstate has two lanes. The right lane ends and the left goes to the exit I needed to get off at. I'm on the main intestate and there was a safe distance between cars and they were going a steady speed. As soon as I turned on my turn signal this white Dodge pickup in the left lane surges forward trying to fill the gap and I end up cutting him off and he starting honking angrily and continues this on the way down the exit ramp. There are two left turn lanes and he pulls on my driver's side and rolled down his window and starts screaming at me at the top of his lungs and continues to honk. I'm sitting at the red light just staring straight ahead which only made him angrier. He was shrieking, "LOOK AT ME!" and I continue to ignore him. Thankfully he didn't follow me any further after that.

As for the tailgaters, that's something else I don't get. At highway speeds you have no reaction time if someone has to slow down.

A little over a year ago I had some lady tailgating me for about 4 miles on the interstate while I was in the far right lane and was going about 5 miles over the speed limit of 65.
There was pickup with a trailer about 100 feet ahead of me that started to slow down to pull off onto the shoulder and I had to apply my brakes to safely keep distance and I suddenly hear tires screeching behind me and half expected I was about to get rear-ended, but glanced in my rear view to see the lady losing control of her car after she slammed on her brakes and hitting the barrier on the right side and bouncing back into the lane.

A few years ago, I used to see at least one person a day driving with their hazard lights on, but that's gone down a lot. I could never figure out why they were doing that. These were people who were going the speed limit on a dry road.

Lately I've been seeing more and more people making left turns at red lights. While it's legal to do that if you're turning left onto a one-way street, these are not.

those are some fine observations grandpa. thanks for keeping us in the loop. i look forward to more tales of the road

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I keep noting the following on the highway:

Driver goes slower when passing. When they leave the passing lane, they then go faster.

Also, people being passed increase their speed.

Why?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

redshirt posted:

I keep noting the following on the highway:

Driver goes slower when passing. When they leave the passing lane, they then go faster.

Also, people being passed increase their speed.

Why?

Survival Instinct. Don't want to get left behind in the herd or the lions will eat you.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I drive in the left lane because I'm making a left turn in 3.27 miles.
Suck it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I drive my motorcycle like an rear end hole mainly because I concede that a motorcycle could stomp a car in a race, but a car could stomp a motorcycle in a fight. My rear end hole riding is essentially speeding the hell away from everyone in cars.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I drive in the left lane all the time. This way I only have to deal with stuff behind me and the occasional merge from the right. Not many surprises. Seems safer.

All the other lanes have poo poo going on 360. gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Serious question:

During my drive to work, I can predict almost entirely accurately the speed of the drivers in front of me during segments of the trip. Their speed often has little relation to the posted speed - for example, there's a stretch of posted 50MPH where most everyone goes 40-45, and then immediately after that the posted speed is 40MPH and people will almost always go 50-55. And so on.

This behavior occurs night and day, both by what I presume are locals and tourists.

I have no explanation other than visual cues cause people to unconsciously react in a way I can predict. Does this make sense, or do you have a better explanation?

• Locked thread