Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

Looks like it had a really rough start, but may have gotten a lot better? I don't know, but if someone wants to bite the bullet, I'd be interested to hear what they think.

It's Day-Z without some of the complexity and larger player count but playable. I really like it.

Anyways, I just bought this game called "The Black Death" which is a medieval online survival game. Kinda got cRPG vibes from it and I found it on Nuuvem for $7, it's gonna be selling on Steam for $18.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1CMisohY0I

Might want to check it out since it's so cheap.
http://www.nuuvem.com/item/the-black-death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Can I actually get the bubonic plague and spread it to to other people? Or throw a rat over their fence? Or paint Xs on their doors?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Long Dark got a decent sized update yesterday. Two new challenge modes (which are impossible) and the regular game has just gotten a lot more difficult as well. For instance, now you can't eat predator meat too often without getting parasites and you can't stay inside too long without getting cabin fever. These changes are basically here to prevent the popular strategy of killing a bear and then sleeping for 2 weeks, but drat, they make everything much harder. Every piece of wolf meat you eat increases the chance of internal parasites by two percent which means it's probably not a good idea to eat an entire wolf anymore.

For another change, it now takes about 10x as long for food and other such items to decay, but all perishable items in the world start decaying immediately, regardless of whether you've interacted with them.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

For another change, it now takes about 10x as long for food and other such items to decay, but all perishable items in the world start decaying immediately, regardless of whether you've interacted with them.

This is probably the best change they've made. Everything decayed ridiculously fast in the game.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lots of people are Mad about the cabin fever and internal parasites changes. It seems pretty easy to avoid cabin fever and most of the people upset about it don't seem to have actually encountered it yet. Internal Parasites on the other hand have been an issue for me, mostly because one wolf gives you a lot of food you suddenly can't eat.

On another note, It's been a long time and the story mode release just keeps getting pushed back. I like the dev team and I like that they seem to have a clear direction they're continually progressing on, but 2 years of pushed deadlines is a long time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does anybody else play + like the Endurance Mode DLC from Rise of the Tomb Raider? I picked it up after completing the main campaign and have sunk maybe 20 additional hours into it so far. I'd say it's most similar to The Long Dark in terms of mechanics and aesthetics. The randomized map and card modifiers make things interesting and it can be quite challenging to last more than even a few days with all the things that can kill you. My one gripe is that there's only one terrain type instead of the 3-4 different regions you see in the base game. I think if you're a fan of survival sims but also kind of like Tomb Raider, you should definitely try it out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Lots of people are Mad about the cabin fever and internal parasites changes. It seems pretty easy to avoid cabin fever and most of the people upset about it don't seem to have actually encountered it yet. Internal Parasites on the other hand have been an issue for me, mostly because one wolf gives you a lot of food you suddenly can't eat.
Yeah that seems super dumb. If predator meat is too good then just reduce the number of calories it gives you, this whole new mechanic that weirdly limits how much of it you can snarf down is stupid.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
People wouldn't hibernate if it weren't for the stupid 200 day achievement in a game with less than 50 game days of content.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Counterpoint: people who play a game for dozens of hours that they wouldn't play otherwise, just to get an achievement, are monumentally stupid.

I'm all for new challenges and fresh content. Though, does anyone actually know what happens if you get infected with parasites?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i hope they release vr support soon so i can sit in a bucket of ice while playing for full immersion

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

fennesz posted:

Counterpoint: people who play a game for dozens of hours that they wouldn't play otherwise, just to get an achievement, are monumentally stupid.

I'm all for new challenges and fresh content. Though, does anyone actually know what happens if you get infected with parasites?

Just got them, you have to take antibiotics every day for 7 days (14 on hard difficulty) while your condition degrades very slowly.

Seem manageable, the first time you get it at least.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

fennesz posted:

I do! You get 2% chance per meat eaten, and I was at 10% chance of parasitic infection for a few days - I couldn't figure out any way to remove it, so it seems like it'll eventually happen if you keep playing long enough - and once I got it, I had to take 2x antibiotics per day, for 7 days (or 1x Reishi Tea per day). If you miss a dosage, you slowly lose Health, although it must be REALLY slow since I barely noticed it. I only dosed for 5 days though, then I fell off a rope in Timberwolf Mtn. and a bear ate me.

I beat the 7 day challenge too! A few close calls, but wasn't TOO bad. Forced me to travel at night a lot more than I normally would, and took a lot of rest juggling to get up Timberwolf fast enough.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If you don't eat wolf meat for long enough the chance will go away I think.

E: but of course, if you're getting hungry while a blizzard is rolling in, that wolf meat starts to look awful tempting.

EE: Actually the devs confirmed that your chance will never actually go away. That seems... not great design to be honest.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 22, 2016

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

That change actually sounds like total garbage. If you've looted literally everything in the game you'll probably only survive parasites three or four times. Assuming you've never contracted food poisoning - and never will. If you can get around the parasites by just taking antibiotics every other day until it passes, that's better, but still not great.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it would be alright if they added decay to parasite chance. As it is now if you eat one piece of wolf meat you will get parasites eventually. They could even do something like -1% each day so you'd only really be able to eat one piece every other day for the lowest chances. You can't survive off of that.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

EE: Actually the devs confirmed that your chance will never actually go away. That seems... not great design to be honest.

Honestly, the reason it annoys me the most isn't that I'll eventually get parasites, but that while at 2% infection chance, there's going to constantly be a red medical + sign in the bottom left. I kept thinking I was in danger of bleeding out or something, and checking my medical page.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think it would be alright if they added decay to parasite chance. As it is now if you eat one piece of wolf meat you will get parasites eventually. They could even do something like -1% each day so you'd only really be able to eat one piece every other day for the lowest chances. You can't survive off of that.

Man, I want to hear the minutes from the meeting where they decided their current implementation was a good idea.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

fennesz posted:

I wouldn't say "Wouldn't play otherwise."

Crafting Survivals that go on forever just aren't fun unless you have goals. Achievements fit. Some achievements are bad.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Actually the devs confirmed that your chance will never actually go away. That seems... not great design to be honest.

I ate a single piece of 242 calorie wolf meat and I'm permanently stuck at 2% chance of contracting parasites. Are you loving kidding me? I, uh, really don't understand how someone looked at that and went "yep, makes sense to me"

I'm not really sure why they changed wolf AI so much only to make it more or less a death sentence to eat a single piece of wolf/bear meat, ever in your playthrough. :wtf:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Doesn't thoroughly cooking meat pretty much eliminate the risk of stuff like that?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/may/26/cooking-pork-safely-the-science

TL;DR: Freezing or cooking the meat kills the parasite. You don't even have to be "thorough"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Struensee posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/may/26/cooking-pork-safely-the-science

TL;DR: Freezing or cooking the meat kills the parasite. You don't even have to be "thorough"

Some can resist freezing

It's pretty clear though that the parasite thing is kind of a gamey game mechanic. I'm fine with that, since it's a video game and all, but it definitely needs tweaking. The devs have more or less said that with significant features like this they have to go through a trial process to tweak things and that cabin fever/internal parasites are definitely going to get changed around while they figure out what works. The seem to have positively responded to a suggestion that wolf meat has to be cooked twice to be cleared of parasites, possibly losing some calories in the process. I've already said that I think a simple reduction of risk as days go on is an extremely easy solution that keeps the intent of the change without hard screwing you for eating just one wolf meat.

As for now, just don't eat that stuff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

well if we are gonna mess with how it works Real World then we should probably also point out that antibiotics are not effective against parasites

there are specialized anti-parasitic drugs for parasite infestations. they are insanely hard to find outside of pharmacies and hospitals

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

well if we are gonna mess with how it works Real World then we should probably also point out that antibiotics are not effective against parasites

there are specialized anti-parasitic drugs for parasite infestations. they are insanely hard to find outside of pharmacies and hospitals

They're available by the pound at most feed stores. So are many antibiotics!

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
The Long Dark just got a hotfix for parasites and cabin fever.

Intestinal Parasites posted:

We've rebalanced Intestinal Parasites.

Parasite Risk: Raw Wolf and Raw Bear meat behaves the same as before. For Cooked Wolf and Cooked Bear, you will gain Parasites Risk per piece you eat, per day. The risk will stack, and is expressed as a % in your First Aid screen. Every 24 hours, we will check against this Risk. If you don't contract Parasites within that 24-hour period, we reset this Risk to 0%.

Parasites: Full-blown Parasites can now be treated with 5 Doses of Antibiotics or Reishi (Voyageur) or 10 Doses (Stalker). There is still no chance of contracting Parasites in Pilgrim.

Reishi Tea: You can now brew a cup of Reishi Tea using 2 Reishi Mushrooms (reduced from 3).

Cabin Fever posted:

We've also re-balanced Cabin Fever:

* To get Cabin Fever, you now have to spend the majority of 6 days indoors.
* If you develop Cabin Fever, you will now be prevented from Resting *indoors* for 24 hours.
* We've added a "grace period" of 50 Days in Voyageur (25 Days in Stalker), during which you will not develop Cabin Fever. This is to "simulate" the idea that Cabin Fever only becomes an issue if you have been isolated for a long time.
* There is no risk of Cabin Fever in Pilgrim.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Those are pretty good fixes

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

:agreed: Though, I'm pissed off I spent all of that time forced indoors by blizzards brewing my Reishi tea.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Ok, so, this is gonna be a tough pitch but stay with me here

Hide & Hold Out - H2O (that's actually the name) is basically Rust legacy meets waterworld, with ocean vehicles, floating bases, and submerged wreckage. It's really fun but needs more players.

Stuff I've done so far:
- Engaged in a gun battle while piloting a mad max style gyrocopter against a man on a jet ski
- Defended a gunboat from boarders as we leveled an opposing clan's base
- Stolen a kitted player's jetski while he held me up and drove off as he sprayed bullets impotently after me

The gameplay is a little bit limited right now, but I've still been having a legit great time playing multiplayer. Check it out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/377140

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
The Long Dark just got a "cheerfully named" update: Penitent Scholar (video)

Highlights from the video:
-You can build a snow shelter with cloth and sticks for emergencies. "But keep in mind you're still vulnerable to wildlife, so if you aren't lucky, you might find yourself getting dragged out of the snow shelter in the middle of the night by a pissed-off bear."
-Skills have officially been implemented - one example given was that firestarting helps you to start fires more quickly and get more burn time out of stuff.
-Books can now be studied to increase your skills (different books for different skills, so they got a visual update, too).
-2 new challenge modes - Nomad (survive for 5 days each in 15 different locations) and Whiteout (gather supplies and survive for 30 days in a "monster blizzard" that gets worse as time passes)
-Feats are new achievements with in-game benefits - they give you bonuses like requiring less calories per hour of activity, or sprinting faster. They're global, unlike skills, so once you unlock one, it applies to all future characters (not sure if there's a way to disable them if you don't want the bonus for that particular run).
-more quality of life stuff (breaking down items now puts the materials directly into your backpack, whoo!) and bug fixes.

This update had a public test version for a few weeks before it was released. I didn't join in for this one, but it looks like they might be doing that from now on, which is a good move and should hopefully reduce the amount of post-patch hotfixes that always seem to be necessary. Also:

quote:

A Note on Leaderboards

As we've deepened the options for player experience in the game, and provided more ways to share your progress with other players, we feel that Leaderboards don't represent a meaningful measurement of game progress, and therefore we are removing them effective immediately. We look forward to continuing to improve our in-game tools for sharing progress and player accomplishments.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 23, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
The Long Dark is on sale for the Steam Summer Sale, $6.79. Buying it because you guys seem to enjoy it, normally I stay very far away from Early Access anything.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The Long Dark and Subnautica are both safe bets. They get regular content updates (Subnautica as often as every month), have clear roadmaps to full release, and are incredibly fun already.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Long Dark is like, the best early access game that has spent a long time in game development. They update it pretty frequently and the updates are focused, showing a clear and consistent direction. Plus, it's already genuinely fun.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

The Long Dark and Subnautica are both safe bets. They get regular content updates (Subnautica as often as every month), have clear roadmaps to full release, and are incredibly fun already.

Also both are on sale during the steam sale.

The Long Dark is 6.79
Subnautica is 11.99

Pretty easy to pull the trigger on both.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I finally grabbed The Long Dark too. The skill and feat systems put it over the edge for me as I'm sucker for progression systems. I've put about three hours in so far and really liking it a lot.

My best/worst death so far was trying to climb some rope I found on a cliff not expecting the game to actually react by sapping my stamina and energy. I kept going anyway and slowed to a crawl right before hitting the top and slipped down the rope due to the exhaustion. Accepting I wouldn't be able to do it I started to head back down and slipped again. Only sprained my ankle so I took a painkiller and laid down to rest for a bit. Immediately got hypothermia and died.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FadedReality posted:

I finally grabbed The Long Dark too. The skill and feat systems put it over the edge for me as I'm sucker for progression systems. I've put about three hours in so far and really liking it a lot.

My best/worst death so far was trying to climb some rope I found on a cliff not expecting the game to actually react by sapping my stamina and energy. I kept going anyway and slowed to a crawl right before hitting the top and slipped down the rope due to the exhaustion. Accepting I wouldn't be able to do it I started to head back down and slipped again. Only sprained my ankle so I took a painkiller and laid down to rest for a bit. Immediately got hypothermia and died.

That is pretty awesome.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm still trying to re-learn TLD after they reworked the magic 'time passes and firewood materializes in your inventory' system. I can never seem to find enough wood to sustain myself.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The time between when I first played TLD and the most recent time (winter 2015), the game tripled in size as far as locations go. I think when I started there were only two areas and now they are a lot more than that.

I'm also vaguely excited for whatever the story mode will be.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

I'm still trying to re-learn TLD after they reworked the magic 'time passes and firewood materializes in your inventory' system. I can never seem to find enough wood to sustain myself.

Sticks. 7 sticks burn for ~1 hour and they're absofuckinglutely everywhere. I've honestly stopped chopping wood and just amass sticks. It's a little more tedious but I typically make the rounds around my shelter and see if there are any deer easily chased into wolves for a free meal and collect sticks while I'm doing it. The best thing is if you get a pack full of meat or other supplies instead you can just drop them any old time and they'll be waiting for you.

Sticks man, sticks.

Also for anyone else returning to TLD: meat deteriorates more quickly while indoors. Unless the newest updated revered it (haven't played it yet) store your meat outside.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Solus Project and Firewatch are also on sale. The Solus Project is cheaper when purchased as a bundle with their previous game The Ball, so I did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

The Solus Project and Firewatch are also on sale. The Solus Project is cheaper when purchased as a bundle with their previous game The Ball, so I did that.

I considered that one; how is it? Is it basically a sci-fi version of TLD?

Edit: Referring to Solus; Firewatch looks neat but I'm cheap.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 24, 2016