Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

The Long Dark and Subnautica are both safe bets. They get regular content updates (Subnautica as often as every month), have clear roadmaps to full release, and are incredibly fun already.

Also both are on sale during the steam sale.

The Long Dark is 6.79
Subnautica is 11.99

Pretty easy to pull the trigger on both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FadedReality posted:

I finally grabbed The Long Dark too. The skill and feat systems put it over the edge for me as I'm sucker for progression systems. I've put about three hours in so far and really liking it a lot.

My best/worst death so far was trying to climb some rope I found on a cliff not expecting the game to actually react by sapping my stamina and energy. I kept going anyway and slowed to a crawl right before hitting the top and slipped down the rope due to the exhaustion. Accepting I wouldn't be able to do it I started to head back down and slipped again. Only sprained my ankle so I took a painkiller and laid down to rest for a bit. Immediately got hypothermia and died.

That is pretty awesome.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

People into the whole digging, mining, building + survival poo poo might be interested in the next big update of 7 Days to Die, they're expanding the construction system and random map gen a whole bunch. If you're not completely sick of the whole zombie apocalypse thing it's a really solid gathering/construction/fighting survival game.

Alpha 20 and beyond dev stream:
https://twitch.tv/videos/1143220952

That looks pretty awesome and I’m going to have to give the game a shot again.

I’ve been watching a let’s play of Vintage Story and it looks pretty good! I wish it had controller support though since I primarily play on a mobile PC. I think I’m going to pick it up anyway because it’s only $16 from humble.

Also I was cleaning out my email and I found my receipt for Project Zomboid from 2011 lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VegasGoat posted:

I use a program called Xpadder to map controller inputs to keyboard/mouse. Was worth the $5 or whatever I paid. You can play any game with a controller, I use xbox 360 one.

Thanks I’m gonna look into this!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I picked up Vintage Story last night and I've been having a lot of fun with it but I've had to do a bit of google work to figure some stuff out. It is a good experience so far though!

I did look and didn't see a dedicated thread for it yet right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

I didn’t see a dedicated thread either.

Repaired my first static translocator, once I tunneled out it was in the middle of huge mountains with ice caps, about 6C colder than home. Exploring has been difficult due to the rugged terrain, but I did find a commodity trader and got some salt.

I am really enjoying the game so far and I'm curious how the dev is going to go.

Green Hell is on sale for $17.50 and I'm tempted but how kick in in the balls hard is it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've never heard of vintage story but it looks interesting; how much, if any, direction is there for the gameplay? I'm not saying I need a story, but is there any goal beyond living as long as possible?

Having just bought it yeah that’s pretty much it. It’s about survival through the various ages (stone, copper, iron ect). The crafting is pretty unique and there are actually npc traders you can find in the world as well. I also watched like 2 hours of YouTube let’s plays before I started so I kinda had a decent idea what I should be doing since it is pretty directionless.

I’ve also decided against Green Hell. I watched a let’s play and some of the systems seemed a bit too much and reading some of the more critical negative reviews on steam kinda confirms that. Also the game seems to have some issues with tribal spawning (which I also saw in the stream) and brain dead AI.

One of the reviews mentioned that you could essentially just get a bow and that’s kinda all you’d really need to plow through the game and again watching someone else play it seemed like that could be the case.

I like the idea of managing your food intakes but the game seems to take it over the top into unrealistic territory.

Also the first part of the story seems fuckin stupid. I may not be a history nerd but I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as an American conquistador.

I think they might have some decent ideas with the game but I dunno.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you are out in the world you can fight things in water with the spear as well. Makes killing wolves a lot easier.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

Medieval Dynasty is really good but it can be quite hard to know what to do since you have so many options. There is a guide you can buy together with the game which is extremely detailed and very well written. There is also a map pack you can download for free from Steam. I just save-scummed my way to get a wife and I am now waiting until 7 PM when her pussy opens so I can make an heir.

I see that it has full controller support have you or anyone else tried it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

I haven't tried using a controller but I assume it would work fine. There are not that many hotkeys needed but there is quite a lot of inventory management which could get tiring.
I really like the game, my main complaint is that it is hard to know in which order to do things but the guide you can buy explains everything in great detail. The game and guide is 20% off until the 30th so pick it up if you like these kind of games.
I am not sure how well it will hold up later on but the developers have a roadmap for further additions to the game so I am sure it will only become better.

Thanks! It’s on my list I’ll probably pick it up later today.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Is 7d2d the game that had all its source code on a laptop that got stolen at a con? And then the new source code got destroyed in a flood or something?

Na that’s project zomboid which I bought in 2011 lol

It’s still in development.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redreader posted:

edit 2: green hell is $6. Worth it?

I’d say probably but not any more.

I watched quite a few play throughs and the game seems to be pretty hard core but the AI is (was?) absolutely poo poo and the areas are pretty linear.

It’s only $6 but if you are on the fence watch a few YouTube videos and it will sway you one way or the other.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Perpetually amazed that Icarus is actually as bad as it looks, lol.

I wouldn't call it linear, but the main story area is smaller than it first appears. Still huge, but not as big as like, the Forest, by a long shot.
But the free DLC, Spirits of Amazonia, introduces a whole new map and that thing is both massive and wide-open, discarding the first map's more structured and segmented feel. Plus there's a lot more to do there. And it's free! You'll probably get bored of the game before you finish all its content, tbh.

Ok I didn’t realize that! All the videos I watched were before that. Imo then it’s definitely worth the $6 no question.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did anyone get a chance to check out Len’s Island when they released a demo of it? It launches into EA on the 26th and I watched a video that got me pretty hyped.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1335830/Lens_Island/

quote:

Build, fight, farm and explore. Experience your own path. Whether it's building the home of your dreams, tending to your crops and watching the sun go down; or explore the mysteries of the Island and the darkness underneath, but you may want to take a sword with you.

You're new to town, with only the tools in your backpack and a can-do attitude you build a new life for yourself on the beautiful island nearby.
Unravel the dark secrets the island holds as you venture deeper into the caves to search for what past travellers have sought after.

Len's Island is a blend of peaceful building, farming and crafting, mixed with intense combat, dungeon battles and exploration.

Build the home of your dreams. Build wherever you want, make it as big as you want, and choose from a range of materials to let your creativity run wild! Len's Island uses a unique modular building system that allows anyone to feel like a seasoned home designer.

Looking for some more action? Len's Island is a fast-paced, skill-driven dungeon crawler with a strong focus on engaging a wide range of combat types and loadout combinations. If you're getting bored of building your home, tending to your crops and meeting the local townsfolk, there are deep, dark caves below the island with plenty to explore.

Tend to your crops Use farms to grow the food that fuels your ventures into the dungeons and long days exploring the Islands; as well as grow exotic plants and flowers to sell back to the villagers for gold. Grow large-scale farms throughout the forest, or care for small garden beds on your balcony. Or if you're not the green-thumb type, place some pot plants and call it a day.

Explore the world and rebuild your surroundings. Len's Island focuses on rewarding adventurers, whether it's finding a long lost sword to claim as your own, rebuilding an old broken bridge or finding secret rooms in the dungeons. There are many secrets to uncover on the island and below it.

Len's Island brings excitement and progression for many playstyles, all within a vibrant and engaging world. Catering to the hardcore dungeon-crawler fans, home-builders and decorators, explorers and completionists, farming fanatics, collectable hoarders, and people who just want to live the simple life of chopping trees as the sun goes down.

The graphics look really nice and the combat from what I’ve seen pretty good too.

I’m definitely a sucker for these types of games so I’ll probably be getting it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zachol posted:

I found it pretty disappointing when I tried it. I tend to be more focused on crafting, though, which was really unengaging, shallow and repetitive.
The combat was definitely the best part and enjoyable on its own when I readjusted my expectations. The mine you go into was intriguing, but it felt like someone started building a new ARPG and decided they needed to add crafting and building for no particular reason and phoned it in.

Actually it feels like someone made an ARPG, started designing abilities, linked them to weapons, and then on mostly a whim decided to do weapon crafting and extended that to building.

Well that’s a little disappointing to hear! I’m keeping it on my wishlist for a bit though to see how EA fleshes it out.

Unless it’s like $19.99 then I’m probably just going to buy it because I’m a sucker.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

I'd like to hear more about Wayward in general, both from anyone else who's played it but also your first time impressions, cause that's one game that I have repeatedly hovered on the line of buying, but have never been confident enough to get.

Yeah same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Umbreon posted:

Anyone got some good starting tips for vintage story? I keep discovering so much stuff that wasn't mentioned in the starter guides that would have been amazing to know like hours ago, like the existence of panning and all the cool stuff it can bring lol

Tbh I just watched a let’s play of it which helped a lot.

It was also a really chill way to relax lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drone posted:

Any specific one?

Yeah this guy was my choice because there’s not a whole lot of people doing it but he’s pretty chill

https://youtu.be/L3s0CPlWz7M

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was gonna say maybe vintage story but it kinda sorta has zombies (only at night though).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nyaa posted:

I would add that Medieval Dynasty got its hunting mechanic right: The bow feels great to use, animal leave blood trails and slows down when injured, they escape in weave and wave pattern, and you can outrun small critter with full energy but not a deer.

The AI could use more tuning, and the game could use more contents, but the Dev is chucking them out pretty consistently.

I think I am going to buy this tonight. It’s been on my list for a bit and it does look really good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

In the event you've got the XBOX Windows Game Pass, it's on there last I checked, so it might save your wallet.

Oh drat thanks! Saves me some $$$

I appreciate it!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress it for $10 I’ll bite.

Won’t be able to play it till later this week but it looks pretty good tbh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I put a good 4 hours into this today and it’s pretty fun so far. It definitely has some kinks to iron out but definitely worth the $10.

It only took about an hour to make the survival part trivial. I’m gonna play it more tomorrow and probably put it on the shelf for a while though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Astroneer is on sale for $15 but how is it? I didn't realize the game came out in 2016.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

power crystals posted:

My experience was that it had good ideas but didn't know how to make the intermediate steps interesting so it opted to make everything incredibly tedious instead, with every major update taking a previously simple mechanic and making it way more annoying, and with the in-world inventory "UI" going from cute to frustrating as the game added more production chains and more items/resources to go with them. Overall I'd recommend it but if you have low patience for the grindy part of survival games then beware.

Ok thanks! Maybe I’ll keep it on the wishlist for a bit. I’m still trying to figure out how not to die in 7 days to die tbh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Kind of a cross post from management games thread but:

I’m looking for a game that runs well on a recent surface pro because I’m traveling for work and want to distract myself from the fact I’ll end up with covid for my job. I’ve been having a ball with some friends in zomboid but a tinier screen and a not super accurate mouse and keyboard setup makes me loathe trying to fight “woops you got bit” style zombies.

I might consider something like unrealworld to finally learn, but I’m worried it might be a little much to bite off for “tired in a hotel for 45 minutes” type of game. One friend suggested rimworld again, which maybe. I have been hunting more “play a person, but there’s some management elements” games - zomboid hit this in a lot of ways because I got to play a base-mom in multiplayer, but I’m thinking of like Graveyard keeper or things of that nature. I have Feel the Snow which I’ve barely played?? Vintage story might be a good candidate if not for the fact I think it might look and play like crap on the surface pro.

Any strong suggestions?

Star sector
Rim world
Vintage story

Have you thought about a game streaming option like GeForce now? It might open up a lot of games for you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tbh the only “zombie” virus that makes any sense is the one from 29 days later.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tildes posted:

28 days later and it’s sequel are some of the best zombie movies imo though, so I’d super recommend them.

Absolutely and I’m a little surprised we didn’t get a 28 months later especially with how the second one ended.

They are both really good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have any thoughts on Barotrauma? It’s 75% off so $7.49

https://store.steampowered.com/app/602960/Barotrauma/

There are lots of really positive reviews but it seems like it might be multiplayer only? I can’t really tell.

quote:

Barotrauma is a 2D co-op submarine simulator – in space, with survival horror elements. Steer your submarine, give orders, fight monsters, fix leaks, operate machinery, man the guns and craft items, and stay alert: danger in Barotrauma doesn’t announce itself!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Some info on the upcoming releases of Zomboid, including big crafting expansion in the next rev:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar9EFqSWhVc

Sounds like a pretty large update. I’m in for it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also really good to hear they've added on more people due to the game gaining in popularity.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I guess 7d2d is on Xbox and pc game pass now but the Xbox version only runs at 30fps and is behind the steam version.

Good for them if they got some Microsoft money but I’m not sure the product they gave to gamepass does the game justice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Isn’t it just two dudes working on planet crafter? I feel like they realize it has a long way to go.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OgNar posted:

A French duo, Amelie and Brice.
She does graphics and he does the coding.
He was pretty prompt when I mentioned a bug.
Which when fixed caused another bug, but he fixed that pretty quickly.
Seems decent.

And that was just a leftover dev key that couldnt be bound in options.

Yeah fair enough. Like I’m definitely willing to give them lots of leeway with this and time for that matter.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vintage story is great and I really appreciate what they are going for.

I don’t play it much anymore but I’ll be coming back to it every so often to check things out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Some more hype for V Rising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J3X3r2jDwA&t=191s

Yeah, like a combination of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead starts and Prey: Mooncrash. I really, really hope they see the light and implement something like that.

Not a big fan of EA games with DLC already :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

You can probably blame those problems on Funcom. They were experimenting with - and being aggressive with monetization in their published games around that time.

Well you say that but this $19.99 Early Access game already has $39.00 in DLC.

Their “support us more” DLC is $29.99 which is pretty drat lol

I’d give them a pass if they were selling the sound track or their support us pack were cheaper but they are doing neither of those things and it seems like a money grab.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Surprised I hadn't seen this yet.

Necesse

quote:

Begin your adventure and explore the infinite procedurally generated world of Necesse. Mine, fight, craft, and gear up to conquer powerful enemies that drop unique items. Establish a settlement, travel to other islands with unique biomes, monsters, loot, and recruit settlers on your way.

You can play solo or fight monsters and bosses together with friends from the beginning until the end. Choose your weapon and gear to fight, change it up at any time, or mix and match to find the best setup for the situation.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1169040/Necesse/

It has heaps of glowing reviews and its only $6.69.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I picked it up before I left the house and I can’t wait to dig in later

Thanks for the information! It does look right up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah don’t be afraid to start over in Vintage Story.

Sometimes things just suck.