Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The Long Dark is on sale right now. Yeah it's not super deep but it's scratching an itch I've had for years and I absolutely love it.

Xibanya posted:

I have the Long Dark and I think it's graphics are great but I also agree that it's a pretty shallow game. You ultimately survive for as long as you can find premade stuff lying around but you can't survive indefinitely with stuff you make. It's not that I want the game to be easier, but when you know eventually you'll drop dead after exhausting all the supplies in the game world, the game just seems like a slog (especially since moving around the small maps can be tedious and slow if you're actually trying to last as long as you can.) and there are so many mattresses and things, why can't I rip them up for cloth? Why can't I turn random metal into scrap? Why can't I make weapons out of renewable stuff? I'm hoping the story mode fixes this by having episodic levels. Once the novelty of sandbox wears off there's little reason to keep playing.

I agree but you can still survive an extremely long time as is. The only thing I would really like to be renewable are torches. As is they cost nothing but reclaimed wood, cloth and kerosene. It'd be neat if you could somehow make pitch, and use scavenged resources for the torch itself. You don't even really need a bow to hunt either. Just chase deer into wolves, scare the wolf off with a torch and claim the meat for yourself.

That or just make feathers renewable and let me do some flint knapping for arrowheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

beats for junkies posted:

I've only played for a couple hours since the update, but so far, I'm really liking the changes.

My big complaint about the update is how obtrusive the new snow particles seem to be. It's not that they're numerous; they're just the size of fuckin' baseballs. Good update otherwise though.

With the new wood collection mechanics it seems bizarre that you can't fell trees, or even harvest fallen trees, but instead are limited to twigs and branches. I suspect axes (which unused files have been found for) will be introduced in the next large patch.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 2, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah, the snow seems to be a bit much. And the tree thing is definitely weird, but it's likely a balance issue - I think chopping down trees would need to have a big enough cost (in time or fatigue or something) that it would discourage players from just deforesting the map since they're so plentiful. Harvestable wood seems to be all over the place, though, so it hasn't been a big deal for me... yet. I'm sure that will change after I've spent a couple days clearing out the Coastal Townsite or something, though - I got lucky with the Random Start and landed in Coastal Highway, near Jackrabbit Island (the cabin had a rifle and a frozen corpse nearby had a box of rifle ammo next to him).

I'm on day 128 right now and I can see wood becoming a real problem. I've scoured the area around where I'm shacked up and wood seems pretty sparse. Even if I'm able to go the next 70 days without having to leave the map for wood it'll take a shitload of time and effort to get it, especially with the new stamina changes. I made the trip from the Farmhouse in Pleasant Valley up to Signal Hill, which took 2 hours from a full rest, and I was tired by the time I got there.

I might even have to forgo my strategy of mostly eating rabbits I'd snared simply because, pound for pound, they carry fewer calories than deer or bear meat does. Hunting bears or chasing deer into wolves will probably have to become my main source of nutrition simply because I won't have the fuel to cook all of the other meat I'd be able to snag with snares. Bears are obviously much riskier but even, best case scenario, if I'd get it in one or two shots (which I've never done) cooking ~35 pounds of meat takes ~8 logs of fir to completely cook. Not to mention water constraints that straight up requires fuel to obtain.

I'll have to see how it goes. Unless broken limbs and sticks respawn it'll be a lot more difficult to sustain anything.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So is this basically The Long Dark thread since we don't have a designated one?

Looks like it.

I certainly know all of that about bears and wolves and my issue is most definitely with fuel and not hunting. Do branches/sticks/fallen limbs respawn as time goes on? I feel like they probably should as it'd be weird to be unable to gather any wood in a heavily wooded forest.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:stare:

Do you stay in one place and go out for supplies, or just carry everything with you?

I use the Farmstead in Pleasant Valley as a base of operations. I've scoured every location in the game and carted back everything with the exception of a few things I left behind at the Coastal Townsite. A lot of people just stockpile food and sleep for like a week straight but I like to get out each day, check my snares and see what I can scavenge up that I'd missed. I have a lot of everything stockpiled although I'm really low on matches and firestarting equipment. Matches seem to take durability damage surprisingly fast for whatever reason, even when safely stored indoors.

I'm really glad to hear that wood respawns.

Anyone know how effective torches are at keeping wolves back? I've only bothered to try 2-3 times and it's failed every time, even when brandishing it constantly but now that you can just grab one from any fire I might want to use them more.

Extremely effective. I've never been attacked by a wolf when I've had enough notice to light a torch. The best strategy is to light a torch, drop it when it gets close (which you now do by using the holster hotkey), the wolf will then pause leaving you more than enough time to shoot it in the head. I think you can scare it off by waving it and/or dropping decoys but I've never really tested it out as I always just use a torch.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 11, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Trapper's Homestead is a great place to start off, especially if you spawn with the rifle. I had trouble pretty fast though; my clothing wasn't all that great, and I only had about six bullets total. Supply runs were a pain between the cold and wolf attacks, so I've been cabin hopping and made my way to the camp office. I think I'll make this my new home for now and plan an expedition to my old homestead to gather the supplies I left behind.

Be careful with the camp office because it's sandwiched between two wolf spawns. One patrols the edge of the lake and another prowls near the railroad tracks just above the office. It wouldn't be so bad but they respawn every two or three days.

Away all Goats posted:

I kind of hope they rethink the degradation values of certain items in general. Like canned foods are already typically heavier than a lot of foodstuffs, they require tools to open(or risk losing some) and they still feel like degrade just as fast as like a candy bar or whatever. It wouldn't make sense to eat all the canned foods first in a real survival situation, yet I often do in the game just because they're slightly heavier than the numerous energy bars I get.

Same. I do think clothing degradation is a little extreme as well but there needs to be a little incentive to stay out of blizzards other than the threat of getting lost and/or freezing to death. I'm hoping they add ways to scavenge for scrap metal because harvesting is really damaging to hatchets and knives now and there are a hell of a lot of bits and pieces you could harvest to repair them. That or just let me make a bone knife already :colbert:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

It's pretty inadvisable to carry the rifle 24/7. You really want to carry the bow if you need something for defense, it takes some practice to master but a bow and 2-3 arrows weighs about 1/4th of the rifle and each of the arrows can be reused easily half a dozen times so long as you're careful to retrieve them. Save the rifle and ammo for when you're going out solely to hunt deer or bears.

In other news I had a very successful 30 day run suddenly cut short when I made a campfire a bit too close to my feet and burned to death the instant it was lit :v:

This is good advice. Don't carry more than you'll need for 2-3 days at the most. Even if you get stuck in the worst storm in the worst situation, all of those supplies should see you through until you can make it back.

Early on I know I carried way too many first aid supplies, a lot of the stuff can be surprisingly heavy when carried in bulk. Make sure you're lightning your load as much as possible.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Are the spawns random? I found some between the Dam and nearby bridge in the first map. Check along the frozen river.

They are random. The only spawn in a total of like 4 or 5 locations in the entire game out of...uh, a lot.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mind giving me an extremely vague idea as to where to look for the new area?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

^ Not the same platform but that's how it works for Steam. I'd be surprised if you got double charged.

Follow the road.

Thanks!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The Long Dark just got a huge, insanely difficult addon. Hinterland added an absolutely massive mountain with very few buildings and supplies. It's difficult and fantastic.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

frank.club posted:

I've got a guy well on track for the day 50 achievement. I'll run him up there as soon as that happens. Do you know the route to the mountain?

It's in Pleasant Valley. I'll get more specific in spoilers.

It's past the Hunter's Blind and Skeeter's Ridge. You'll see a ruined house, an outhouse and a rope leading up.

I just reached the summit, snagged all of the useful stuff and made it not only off the mountain but back to my home base as well. On day 174. I nearly died when I made refuge in a cave that a bear also called home. Fortunately I had a fire going and killed him with a single arrow. :smug:

FalloutGod posted:

Can someone sell me on The Long Dark. It seems like a really content light survival sim from what I've seen. There are only 15 crafting recipes and the only objective is to survive as long as you can but there's nothing really to do as you try to survive as long as you can. Is there any sort of story? Interesting places to explore? A lot of the videos I've watched trying to wrap my brain around the game have been incredibly boring. It seems pretty popular so I feel like I've missed something somewhere. What makes it different from the more content filled survival games out there?

You can turn on easy mode for a relaxing experience or pop on the harder difficulties for a challenge. It's an extremely desolate game and you're going to get out what you put in. I legitimately got an adrenaline rush when I got lost in a blizzard right around day 100 and barely made it to shelter on the verge of death. But I'm sure a lot of people would find it extremely boring and not rewarding in the slightest.

If you like hunting (or being hunted) by animals, managing your supplies and your inventory and weighing small decisions which potentially have huge impacts: it's the game for you. I like it because it's quiet, methodical and beautiful. The mechanics are simple to grasp but mastering them can actually be pretty difficult.

I'm looking forward to playing so I can check my snares, skin a deer and sharpen my tools.
:goonsay:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 18, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

The big problem I have with hunting/defending myself from animals is that I can't shoot poo poo. I don't know why but the moment I get a gun and bullets it all goes downhill.

Drop slabs of meat if you're staring down a wolf (default key is 3). They'll go for the meat and not you. When it comes to bears: avoid at all costs. If they do come after you, light a torch ASAP and drop it at their feet. They don't path across fire so use that to your advantage until you can escape.

Torches work with wolves as well. Drop it at your feet (the holster key while it's lit) and use that to line up an easy shot.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Drunk in Space posted:

Just reached the summit in the new area in The Long Dark. Getting up there is one hell of a trek, but totally worth it. One of the containers I found spat about 10 MRES at me.

For those who have explored the whole map:

Other than the tail section at the summit, can you find any more of the plane fuselage? I know there's a wing and another engine, but I've been wondering when I'm going to stumble across a forward section with a cannibalistic South American rugby team sheltering inside it.

There are two engines and two wings and some random cargo strewn about . It should also be said that each cargo container has TWO compartments in it, not just one.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

just bought the long dark, runs like poo poo on my mid-2009 mac pro on osx. goddamn it why can't they build good drivers for os x? i tried this poo poo in windows 7 via bootcamp and it runs a lot better.

Make sure vsync is off. My frames with lighting with vsync on are garbage. I also run better with medium/high in some areas and low in others. Tool around with it a little bit.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

i'm stuck in a loop of scavenge for a deer cadaver, get enough food not to starve for a day, go in the lighthouse, eat drink sleep and then go back out and hope to stumble upon a cadaver. i need a gun or a bow bad but no luck so far.

Large buildings, cars (backseats), deer stands and ranger outposts are all good spots to check for gun spawns. Until you know the maps though, it essentially amounts to blind luck. If you really search woods, the edges of maps typically, you can find quite a few birch and maple saplings to craft bows and arrows.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 28, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

meatsaw posted:

Look under stuff too. I once found a hunting rifle barely reachable under a bed in a cabin. And keep rechecking, because I think occasionally stuff rarely respawns - I'm pretty sure I've found an extra sewing kit or whetstone in places I'd searched before, although I could be mistaken.

This is a result of the new patch. Stuff occasionally spawns in. Whetstones, cleaning kits, tools, magnifying glasses, firestrikers, matches and random food all randomly appear. I've been in the farmhouse for 200 days and I'm still finding random junk on shelves.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I want a survival game that's basically just Harvest Moon in the wilderness. Can someone make that happen?

I know some DayZ mods (standalone, and the original) let you farm, setup bases and even have a sort of economy going on. Probably not what you're looking for but it might scratch that itch.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 30, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

I agree that the dude should be in a lot better shape, it's ridiculous how he can't walk 200 meters without having to lie down for hours,

Stop sprinting. You can literally walk from the end of Mystery Lake through the Ravine, Coastal Highway and get into Pleasant Valley in a day. If you don't sprint, you're not encumbered and the weather cooperates of course.

Dyna Soar posted:

I just wish they'd give us more options to tweak the difficulty. I'd just want to halve the fatigue loss and heat loss. Hunger and thirst are ok as they are. Right now the gameplay is too much juggling the different meters instead of exploring and surviving. It's a bit too gamey.

Well, yeah it's a sandbox survival game. Managing your supplies, thirst, hunger and body temperature is like the entirety of a survival sandbox game. What else were you expecting?

I'm playing This War of Mine through for the first time and I love it. Except my scavenger inevitably gets chain pistol whipped when he's brandishing a knife and I keep having to start over :(

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

^ It's 40kg for anyone using metric.

Dyna Soar posted:

yeah? i don't sprint that often but maybe i'm carrying a bit too much.

i know, plus it's only a beta. still, i wish they'd add more options to tweak the difficulty.

I think Voyager is a pretty good sweet spot. The weather is virtually identical from what I can tell but Voyager has like half of the wolf spawns that Stalker does, which just removes tedium in all honesty. Stalker just feels like Wolf Dodger 2016 but I guess some people are really into that.

And even sprinting just "once" so your stamina bar is used up will essentially put you at half fatigue, which is right around when you start losing carrying weight. This is the real thing that makes Timberwolf Mountain dangerous. You're forced to fatigue yourself to continue up.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So in This War of Mine I killed what I thought was a bandit in a locked apartment building near a market. I return the next day and the entire market place is looking to gun me down. Whoops.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Coolguye posted:

The combat in This War Of Mine is almost entirely centered around taking someone by surprise and killing them instantly. All other fights are basically random and can turn against you her quickly. Most characters can kill from hiding places with a hatchet, but from a normal backstab only Roman and Arica can. If you want more details check the wiki.

Oh I know. My bodycount is asinine on this run. I just happened to kill the wrong person and no one done liked it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

Digging The Long Dark, day two, already got my two hatchets and a knife.

Feel free to post trip report(s). I always really enjoy reading about new players digging into games I love.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

:canada: Make sure you're checking under shelves, stairs and stoves. The game likes to hide axes and knives in weird spots.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

Think i'm on day 7 or something now.... whens a good target date to leave the lake area? I have a rifle and my bow poo poo is curing. I'm only pilgriming it at the moment, i'll go up against the bears and wolves after get used to the maps.

Totally up to you. You could stay there for 3000 days and probably be fine as long as you made runs to other areas for matches and other supplies.

I prefer Pleasant Valley to the other areas simply because it's easier to navigate and dodge predators. Predator ambushes tend to be the biggest resource sinks and avoiding them seem worth the trade-offs to me.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Are simple/quality tools of little value in TLD currently, or am I missing something? It seems like they used to be used to repair hatchets and knives, but now only work on can openers and storm lanterns, which don't see frequent use/degradation and the latter is likely to be more limited by fuel usage than wear and tear.

I think you need them to repair one or two items, though I forget which. I do know if you have a tool kit in you inventory the time spent crafting items is cut in half.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So I just saw this game Miscreated... seems to be a competently done DayZ clone? Getting Ark vibes from the pictures. Anyone have something to say about it? It looks incredible

Yeah it looks extremely good visually. The user rating of 'mixed' makes me think it probably has a long, long way to go.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Yep. Scaring wolves away from their deer kills is far and away the most efficient way to gather pelts and meat. I've tried to even save the condition on my bow by throwing an (unlit) flare to scare him off but I don't think the flare hitting the snow is loud enough to do it. The torch might be heavy enough but you can't throw it nearly as far.

Oddly enough the best mechanic Hinterland could implement in this regard would to let us throw rocks.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I'm really happy about that. Thinking about games that peaked too early in their life cycle made me fear they'd rush out story mode half finished and everyone would lose interest. Granted, I'm going to play it no matter what, but I'd also like to see a developer that's legitimately doing something very different find success. I'm also glad they're going to actually give us updates on how progress is going and giving us some breadcrumbs in sandbox to satiate our desire for more content. poo poo, even if they added interactive animal scat, I'd boot up TLD as soon as the patch had finished and start searching bushes for turds.

Just like HL3. But hopefully with less mystery and waiting.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Counterpoint: people who play a game for dozens of hours that they wouldn't play otherwise, just to get an achievement, are monumentally stupid.

I'm all for new challenges and fresh content. Though, does anyone actually know what happens if you get infected with parasites?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

That change actually sounds like total garbage. If you've looted literally everything in the game you'll probably only survive parasites three or four times. Assuming you've never contracted food poisoning - and never will. If you can get around the parasites by just taking antibiotics every other day until it passes, that's better, but still not great.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Actually the devs confirmed that your chance will never actually go away. That seems... not great design to be honest.

I ate a single piece of 242 calorie wolf meat and I'm permanently stuck at 2% chance of contracting parasites. Are you loving kidding me? I, uh, really don't understand how someone looked at that and went "yep, makes sense to me"

I'm not really sure why they changed wolf AI so much only to make it more or less a death sentence to eat a single piece of wolf/bear meat, ever in your playthrough. :wtf:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

:agreed: Though, I'm pissed off I spent all of that time forced indoors by blizzards brewing my Reishi tea.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

I'm still trying to re-learn TLD after they reworked the magic 'time passes and firewood materializes in your inventory' system. I can never seem to find enough wood to sustain myself.

Sticks. 7 sticks burn for ~1 hour and they're absofuckinglutely everywhere. I've honestly stopped chopping wood and just amass sticks. It's a little more tedious but I typically make the rounds around my shelter and see if there are any deer easily chased into wolves for a free meal and collect sticks while I'm doing it. The best thing is if you get a pack full of meat or other supplies instead you can just drop them any old time and they'll be waiting for you.

Sticks man, sticks.

Also for anyone else returning to TLD: meat deteriorates more quickly while indoors. Unless the newest updated revered it (haven't played it yet) store your meat outside.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

e: Does anyone know where you find the research materials recently added to TLD? The books I had in my house don't seem to be the right ones.

Paracelsus posted:

Do car trunks count as outside for storing meat? I tend to use the coastal house near the quonset hut gas station as my house, and there are a couple cars lying around that I can move my meat to.

Yes. Any container outside should count. Not sure about caves/covered patios.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 26, 2016

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

(The Long Dark) Does storing things outside actually make them degrade slower? I can't seem to find any documentation of that aside from that storing things in containers in general makes things degrade slower and at some point there was a bug that made things in containers outside not degrade at all while you were indoors.

Only meat I believe. It's true. I tested it myself. Again, haven't played much the most recent patch so unless they rolled back this change, storing meat outside does make it decay more slowly.

One of the devs posted on the subreddit a month or two ago and said as much.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

does it matter what state the meat is in? Cooked/fresh?

Nope. Putting meat outside keeps it fresher, longer no matter the condition.

My understanding is that degradation now works like this. Meat on your person degrades the fastest. Meat indoors, not in a container is next. Meat in an indoor container is next. Meat outdoors is second slowest to degrade. Meat outdoors in a container degrades the most slowly.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

TLD runs worse and worse by every update. i need a new computer, a 2009 power mac isn't quite cutting it any more :(

I'm noticing this as well on Windows. Granted my laptop is 8 years old now but it used to run absolutely perfectly. Now it gets hairy while indoors - again. They did an overhaul patch to fix things a few months ago. I would expect one shortly before or after story mode is released.

That said: this game is still loving amazing. I'm re-re-re-exploring locations looking for skill books. I appreciate a reason to leave my zone of immediate comfort on a 400 day old save. And the way wolf pack behavior works now makes hunting extremely dangerous.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

it doesn't even look that special, i mean it's pretty but not flashy in any sense of the word. i really hope they can get it light enough, i love the game too.

It's the lighting. I get something like 150 FPS at night and ~120 FPS outside during the day. If I go indoors and light is shining through the window I get like 25.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Has anyone figured out a decent way to farm the new abilities in TLD? The best I've come up with is carrying ~15 sticks on you, using the magnifying glass to start a fire, add a stick, take the brand and use that to start 3 or so more fires without running the lowered success rate you get from the magnifying glass.

I'm just pissed off I fixed up four goddamn rifles before it actually contributed to the rifle skill :(

Tweak posted:

2 years later it is easily the one EA title I've put the most hours in and keep coming back to.

I also finished Firewatch over the weekend, and it really made me want a summer version of TLD.

TLD is published and produced by Hinterland Studio.

By the way: sticks/downed limbs seem to appear each time a new storm rolls through. If you're really desperate for burnable material just get nekkid and run a lap around your shelter looking for sticks. The path in and out of Timberwolf Mountain is absolutely lousy with stick as well. The whole transition area and the first short area into TWM should net you somewhere around 90+ sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

i wish they'd optimize it more already, i need my survival fix! goddamn it do i need to buy a new computer for this poo poo

Yeah if you can't run TLD you sure as poo poo won't be able to run Subnautica.