Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Long Dark's story mode is slated for a spring release (Teaser)

Should be pretty interesting, since this is the big thing they've been working toward from the beginning. They were originally going to remove the sandbox mode once the story mode was released but with the popularity of sandbox mode right now that's not going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

that would have been a poo poo move, yeah. unless it would be like, sandbox + story if you choose to advance it.

i'm stuck in a loop of scavenge for a deer cadaver, get enough food not to starve for a day, go in the lighthouse, eat drink sleep and then go back out and hope to stumble upon a cadaver. i need a gun or a bow bad but no luck so far.

I think it's interesting that they apparently weren't really trying to make the survival game that they did. I think that's why this game plays a little oddly, how it's so difficult and it seems like things aren't really built for the long term.

E:
And yeah I usually am also just stumbling around between various structures for brief periods in between sleeping away half the day.

EE: I suppose the same can be said for my real life, makes u think

Jump King fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 27, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The best and worst part of TLD is that the team is so focused. Best because they're pretty good at making updates and are building into a pretty cohesive product. Worst because it means the answer to any "will the game ever have x" question is no.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

also who the gently caress has to eat two kilos of meat every day just to survive?

Apparently arctic explorers burn 4500-7000 calories a day. They're probably moving around more than your character but I'd imagine a large part of that comes from the cold.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

yeah? i don't sprint that often but maybe i'm carrying a bit too much.

Yeah if you're carrying more than 60lbs you move a lot slower and tire out faster

E:
VVV yeah, also I meant 90 pounds and not 60

Jump King fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 4, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

So essentially..."When It's Done."

Seems like they're doing enough regular work on it though. No reason (for me at least) to lose trust yet.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Long Dark got a decent sized update yesterday. Two new challenge modes (which are impossible) and the regular game has just gotten a lot more difficult as well. For instance, now you can't eat predator meat too often without getting parasites and you can't stay inside too long without getting cabin fever. These changes are basically here to prevent the popular strategy of killing a bear and then sleeping for 2 weeks, but drat, they make everything much harder. Every piece of wolf meat you eat increases the chance of internal parasites by two percent which means it's probably not a good idea to eat an entire wolf anymore.

For another change, it now takes about 10x as long for food and other such items to decay, but all perishable items in the world start decaying immediately, regardless of whether you've interacted with them.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lots of people are Mad about the cabin fever and internal parasites changes. It seems pretty easy to avoid cabin fever and most of the people upset about it don't seem to have actually encountered it yet. Internal Parasites on the other hand have been an issue for me, mostly because one wolf gives you a lot of food you suddenly can't eat.

On another note, It's been a long time and the story mode release just keeps getting pushed back. I like the dev team and I like that they seem to have a clear direction they're continually progressing on, but 2 years of pushed deadlines is a long time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

fennesz posted:

Counterpoint: people who play a game for dozens of hours that they wouldn't play otherwise, just to get an achievement, are monumentally stupid.

I'm all for new challenges and fresh content. Though, does anyone actually know what happens if you get infected with parasites?

Just got them, you have to take antibiotics every day for 7 days (14 on hard difficulty) while your condition degrades very slowly.

Seem manageable, the first time you get it at least.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If you don't eat wolf meat for long enough the chance will go away I think.

E: but of course, if you're getting hungry while a blizzard is rolling in, that wolf meat starts to look awful tempting.

EE: Actually the devs confirmed that your chance will never actually go away. That seems... not great design to be honest.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 22, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it would be alright if they added decay to parasite chance. As it is now if you eat one piece of wolf meat you will get parasites eventually. They could even do something like -1% each day so you'd only really be able to eat one piece every other day for the lowest chances. You can't survive off of that.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Struensee posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/may/26/cooking-pork-safely-the-science

TL;DR: Freezing or cooking the meat kills the parasite. You don't even have to be "thorough"

Some can resist freezing

It's pretty clear though that the parasite thing is kind of a gamey game mechanic. I'm fine with that, since it's a video game and all, but it definitely needs tweaking. The devs have more or less said that with significant features like this they have to go through a trial process to tweak things and that cabin fever/internal parasites are definitely going to get changed around while they figure out what works. The seem to have positively responded to a suggestion that wolf meat has to be cooked twice to be cleared of parasites, possibly losing some calories in the process. I've already said that I think a simple reduction of risk as days go on is an extremely easy solution that keeps the intent of the change without hard screwing you for eating just one wolf meat.

As for now, just don't eat that stuff.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Those are pretty good fixes

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Long Dark is like, the best early access game that has spent a long time in game development. They update it pretty frequently and the updates are focused, showing a clear and consistent direction. Plus, it's already genuinely fun.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

(The Long Dark) Does storing things outside actually make them degrade slower? I can't seem to find any documentation of that aside from that storing things in containers in general makes things degrade slower and at some point there was a bug that made things in containers outside not degrade at all while you were indoors.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Man for moment I thought you guys were talking about Shelter, a game where you play as a mother badger, which is also technically a survival simulations game. I've only played it's sequel though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I haven't played in a while and have been playing a lot this week, for some reason I'm having a dismal success rate with brandished flares/torches

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The magnetic storm has pretty much been the intention the whole time, it seems pretty minimal, but it also mostly seems like it's for story mode. They were actually originally intending to take out the sandbox mode once they finally got story mode going, but have since decided against that.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You won't have to worry about anything like that. It's almost a selling point that the game keeps itself pretty down to earth. The magnetic storm thing is mostly to establish backstory stuff (like why you're there, no electronics work and the wolves are crazy) and in the future will allow you to turn on radios at certain times and stuff like that.

Long Dark steam page posted:

There are no zombies -- only you, the cold, and all the threats Mother Nature can muster.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Coolguye posted:

they really need to just get over themselves and start working on the story mode or some sort of compelling objective mode to shake the game up.

:ssh: They allocated most of their resources and development time toward story mode this year, that's why there weren't that many updates.

"Hinterland posted:

2016 has been a challenging year for me, and for Hinterland. We opened the year with the plan of launching Story Mode this past Spring, but I just didn’t feel good about where things were at, given the compromises I felt we were making to do that. I wanted to push further, do more, with the game, knowing that after all this time of you waiting for Story Mode, it would have to be something truly groundbreaking to really live up to your expectations. And to live up to our expectation

[...]

With the pressures of wanting to make significant progress on Story Mode without abandoning our players who mostly care about Sandbox, I grew the team to about 25 developers this year, with — at various points — most of them working on Story Mode content and systems, and either small “maintenance” teams working on Sandbox updates, or — depending on the complexity of the update — occasionally pulling a large portion of the team into helping finalize or test Sandbox mechanics (as we just did for our latest update).

[...]

We have about 6 hours of playable Story Mode gameplay, currently split into two episodes, and these are the episodes we will launch with.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think TLD starts off kind of boring. It's not really a game I play for excitement or anything, I'd describe more as compelling rather than fun.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The game is also free for now, which pretty much means by default it's a worthwhile buy

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TLD is one of those earlier access games where they're constantly going "Oh poo poo, this is going to take longer than expected" but they're also updating fairly consistently and always adding cool poo poo to the game, which has already been good for a while. I wouldn't be too surprised if the story mode released was a bit smaller than expected, but from what I know about how much they've been putting into it over the last year, I think it's going to be pretty good.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't why I expected any different TBH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

OneTwentySix posted:

Wow, it's remarkably stupid to post a countdown to releasing a release date. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Thanks for this, I was really excited to hear your thoughts.