Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I kind of hope they rethink the degradation values of certain items in general. Like canned foods are already typically heavier than a lot of foodstuffs, they require tools to open(or risk losing some) and they still feel like degrade just as fast as like a candy bar or whatever. It wouldn't make sense to eat all the canned foods first in a real survival situation, yet I often do in the game just because they're slightly heavier than the numerous energy bars I get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That would be great advice if maple saplings existed :argh:

Are the spawns random? I found some between the Dam and nearby bridge in the first map. Check along the frozen river.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What's there to explain? It's a chill atmospheric survival game. I like it cause it's explicitly not about combat or any kind of long-term goal like building a settlement or something. It's just you vs nature and your feeble human body that needs sustenance.

It's not particularly deep, but the extremely limited resources means you are constantly exploring to find more food and resources to stave off your inevitable death. So like I said, it's a chill game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Six hours in to Subnautica and I think I'm gonna give it a rest until the full release. Don't get me wrong, it is an absolutely fantastic game and completely engrossing. But I feel like playing it more at this state just robs me of more enjoyment for when they fully finish the game.

That was quite the experience though...especially for someone who generally has a fear of deep dark water.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't really mind farming being too easy since 1) You need to find a planter and scan it anyway and 2) Fish stock doesn't 'replenish' which means you can actually run out of fish in your immediate area and need to go further and further to get food unless you have a planter.

It would be better if the location of a planter was more random. Actually it would be better if the game had more random generation in general. Even Long Dark changes up what items are located where and can really change your priorities when you start a new game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm still trying to re-learn TLD after they reworked the magic 'time passes and firewood materializes in your inventory' system. I can never seem to find enough wood to sustain myself.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

You can actually encourage them to drop teeth by bringing them scrap metal. Just swim close enough to get their attention, drop the piece of metal and they'll immediately home in on it and ignore you. Follow them and they should start dropping teeth.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 26, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

does it matter what state the meat is in? Cooked/fresh?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Met posted:

If I have two multipurpose rooms on top of each other with an alien containment in each, am I allowed to have 20 fish in the merged tank?

Yes. You can even grow creepvine in them for harvesting oil/rubber if you plant the seeds.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bremen posted:

We do have a Subnautica thread, by the way.

Well don't bother linking to it or anything. Thanks for the heads up though

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't even know what to say. Subnautica is by far the best exploration game I've ever played and has base building.

The Long Dark is generally considered the best 'pure' survival game around here but doesn't have any base building.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

You can also take a brand from any campfires you create to use a torch, and wolves will instinctively stay away from campfires.

Note that you want to brandish(right click) BEFORE the animal charges you.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

horse mans posted:

I just put about 20 hours into Subnautica and I think that's all I'm going to get out of it. Got a base, got a Cyclops, but I'm not feeling the urge to advance beyond the first part of the "plot". I'd still like a game with base building and defense and exploration, but I really do like the feeling in Subnautica of "I'm safe in my submarine, hanging out in the dark, crafting some stuff and figuring out what to do next."

Is there anything like that hanging around? Is the Forest worth playing in single-player? Is there a Space-nautica with space stations and poo poo?

I haven't played the newest updates yet but, No Man's Sky?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Does TLD's story mode ever explain what event causes the game to happen (why all the electricity is out)?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Q8ee posted:

Empyrion: Galactic Survival is a fun one. not worth $19.99, but definitely worth $10-15. I've got 30 hours in it and that's purely from solo play. If I had friends who were into this game, I'd easily rack up a hundred hours or more. It's got a bit of jankiness, but it's very playable and I enjoy it. Space survival game, with the added bonus of basebuilding not being an absolute ballache or grindfest.

Is there a story or overarching goal right now or is it mostly sandbox/basebuilding?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah I'd love to see someone remaster Unreal World and streamline the UI. Right now its got that same Dwarf Fortress menus-within-menus and its hard to remember where stuff is sometimes.

Guess you can't complain too much for a free game though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Qubee posted:

I wish there was a perfect survival city-building game. Stronghold Crusader HD is a game I was incredibly hooked on, I loved everything about it, but it's not perfectly what I'm after this time around (more deforestation, more moulding the land to suit my own needs). I've played Banished, which was great, but felt shallow at times. I've played Life is Feudal: Forest Village, and the terraforming in the game absolutely ruins it for me, and it's extremely janky. I've played Ostriv, and that seemed great at first, but the fact it's a very early alpha, unbalanced as hell, and villagers can only carry tiny amounts at a time made me quit playing it very quick (I got tired of waiting all the time for resources to be moved, even using carts [which men can only push for some reason?] things took way too long). I loved the wage system though, made things interesting and I've not seen that as a game mechanic before.

Before someone recommends Rimworld (someone always recommends Rimworld), I've played it. Same with Kingdoms and Castles (too simplistic for me).

So are there any really nice, chill, fun city-building survival games out there? I love striking out into the wilderness and slowly turning a dense forest into a nicely laid out village.

Since you mentioned Banished and Rimworld you can try Planetbase. It's kind of like space colony Banished. Not as difficult as Banished I would say, but it has its own charm to it.

Also they appear to be working on a stone age era city builder so that should be interesting.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I was expecting ICY:Frostbite to be a bit more of a sandbox survival game but it's nice that there's a bit of a narrative/storyline to it as well. I imagine this kind of hurts replayability though. Still, for $2 it's been a steal.

The combat system is really neat and I like how bullets are both a currency and well...bullets. Really makes you want to avoid fights or at the very least use non-firearm methods of fighting.

My first run died when I explored a church where a bunch of Yetis were worshipping some religious relics and we got wiped out. I decided to do my 2nd run on easy as I was really struggling to keep up with food.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I got back into The Long Dark recently and decided I wanted some challenge so I left the safety of Voyageur and started a Stalker game.

How the hell do people last 50+ days on this? I'm like a week and a half in on Mystery Lake and I've exhausted most of the man-made supplies. I'm constantly starving and any meager food i get (usually rabbit and fish) is juuuust enough energy to allow me to hunt more rabbit and fish. I haven't any kind of weapon to hunt deer or fend off wolves. I rarely get enough time to explore or venture to the other zones.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

super fart shooter posted:

One kind of unintuitive part of TLD is that starving is not nearly as bad as you might assume it is, and it's fine to be starving most of the time if you've got limited food. You burn calories faster when you're doing stuff like walking, running or any kind of work. If you're already at 0 you just start to slowly lose condition, but you'll get that condition back when you sleep, as long as you fill up on the necessary calories before bed. So basically, you should only eat right before you go to sleep, that's the most efficient way to use your calories. On stalker, this will keep you perfectly healthy with something like only 600-800 calories a day, provided you don't lose too much condition to something else

This is pretty much what I was forced into doing, eating just enough so that I wasn't starving while I slept. Guess it's good that I'm on the right track. Still find it really difficult to make treks to other places when a good chunk of my day is spent catching rabbits or burning through fuel so I can fish. I did manage to find a survival bow with a single arrow since my last post so maybe things are looking up.

Verviticus posted:

exploring is actually resource positive, but you need a vague idea of where to go. if youre just roaming aroudn you are obviously going to die. you should have tons of cat tail stalks at this point too

This has not been my experience. I picked Mystery Lake cause it's the map I knew best and the trip to the Dam netted me a whopping ~1000 calories not counting the deer I found outside. The office area in the dam with like 3 dozen drawers and cabinets? There was literally nothing in any of them. I think by the time I returned back to the Camp office I had already consumed all the food I found at the dam and had to go rabbit hunting again.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 27, 2019

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Thanks I appreciate the tips. I think I'll do a custom game too because while I really like the resource scarcity of Stalker, the fact that the meters deplete faster too makes it impossible to do any kind of exploration or make any mistakes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Has anyone played Fishing: Barents Sea? it's currently on sale on steam

Can you walk around on your ship? Do you have to process every fish yourself in that minigame, or are there upgrades that make that automated?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm an idiot and thought I posted in the steam thread

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Drunk in Space posted:

Episode 3 is pretty cool so far, much better than the first two eps imo (although I haven't tried the remastered versions). It introduces timber wolves who attack in packs and come with a new kind of mechanic where you have to reduce their overall morale to make them run off. Spices things up a bit. I also like that they've gotten rid of the whole charcoal mapmaking thing, at least for this episode. Never really cared for that.

It's a nice idea but climbing the watchtower in Mystery Lake and making a map there should give me a pretty rough map of most of the area, and not just like 20 feet around in the immediate area of the tower.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ShootaBoy posted:

I want to play it, but jesus is it impossible to learn.

Yeah, I bounced super hard off it before. It's probably right up there with Dwarf Fortress with its menus-within-menus-within-menus type learning curve.

These stories do always make me want to try again though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Haifisch posted:

I've started playing the base game Subnautica for the effectively-first time(first time was playing a couple hours of early access on a potato-quality computer, having my game crash, and losing any desire to start from scratch), which is accidentally perfect timing. :v:

My sense of direction is incredibly rear end, which makes Subnautica interesting until you get to the point you can spam beacons everywhere. It also took me too long to realize the default base pieces aren't just hallways and you can actually put stuff in them, resulting in me having about 10 of the waterborne storage chests floating around the lifepod before I got to base building.

I'm jealous. Playing Subnautica for the first time ever is one of my favorite gaming experiences in recent memory. RE: Direction, I always liked that you can always use the lifepod and the wreckage of the Aurora to more or less triangulate where you are on the map.

I'm disappointed that the new expansion pack is smaller in scale AND it allegedly doesn't have the Cyclops.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anyone have any thoughts on Insurmountable? Currently %20 off

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How playable is Valheim as a solo game?

It sounds right up my alley but everything looks geared toward multiple people working together.

As a sort of follow up question, what's the best tropical/island survival game right now between Green Hell, The Forest, Raft, Stranded Deep, and a bunch of others I can't remember? I loved The Long Dark's sandbox mode but as this point I know too much of the maps.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How does multiplayer in V Rising work? Can you start playing in singeplayer and go online with that character when you're ready, or is it like a separate server and you need to start a new character?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This is gonna sound stupid but how do I actually cook things in PZ?

I added a bunch of ingredients (chicken and some vegetables) to a fry pan, put it on the stove, turned the stove on, and after waiting for an in-game hour it still hasn't cooked.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Danaru posted:

When you say "put it on the stove", do you mean you used the place button, or put it in the stove's inventory?

Tarezax posted:

It has to actually be in the stove's inventory to cook. No stovetop cooking in this game.

Ohhhh. Yeah I was definitely trying to cook it on the stovetop.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Project Zomboid( and modding) scene is severely lacking in the most common sense item that seems to be missing from every Zombie related media:

Bicycles

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vasler posted:

You know what's great in card survivor? You build a cellar, which makes food last longer, then you stick the clay pot cooler in the cellar and food in that and it will last for a long, long long time.

That's a great way to sell a game in a single sentence to me. Sold (or at least, added to my wishlist because I can't stop playing Project Zomboid because that's another great game for little details)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jack B Nimble posted:

Wait the card game is on android?? I googled it and I didn't see ugh.

Edit: is it card survival tropical island?

That's what it's called on Steam too.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Big Scary Owl posted:

Still playing Subnautica but I'm having problems remembering which areas I have explored or haven't yet, any tips?

Beacons are you friend. You can even name them

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How well does The Forest run on older systems? Say a Radeon HD 6900 and i5-3570k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lordfrikk posted:

Now that makes me interested - which survival games went through EA, were finished, and were better at the end than before? I think most that are considered good are eternally in EA.

Subnautica?