Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thing is "entire societies, especially in the West, have placed themselves on the wrong side of history" isn't wrong, he's just mistaken about what the right and wrong sides of history are.

That's what new pope is saying too, except that the new pope puts history is on the side of the poor instead of the rich ie:

"No to an economy of exclusion"
"No to the new idolatry of money"
"No to the new idolatry of money"
"No to the inequality which spawns violence"

nachos posted:

I don't think I've seen republican accelerationism before. Decelerationism?

Going Galt, the whole stay with us in Galts Gulch so we can re-organize when it all collapses business is an accelerationism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
“They will have more screens, more money, more hype . . . but we’re hopeful that we are not alone in our belief that there are others out there who desire more from love–and the movies–than objectification or domination.”

To be honest, I figured 50 Shades was about as Godly as romance got minus all the disgusting enjoyment of sex. Absusive BDSM relationships are practically mandated by the Bible.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

SedanChair posted:

Get into the persecution narrative bro! Obviously the liberals who want women to have health care will team up with ISIS and massacre all bishops.

e: b

According to the Very Serious Guest CNN I just saw interviewed ISIS's oppression of Christians in Mosul amounts to a full-blown :supaburn: CHRISTIAN HOLOCAUST!!! :supaburn:

He claimed Christian children are being beheaded by the dozen in city squares, women raped and murdered by the score, men being hung (sic) from lamp posts, and other reliably well accounted-for non-hysterics.

zoux posted:

In even further Christian movie news, did y'all ever see The Buttercream Gang :allears:

OK seriously, who chooses these titles? How can that not be intentional?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

zoux posted:

In other Christian movie news, the same studio that did God's Not Dead is releasing a movie about good, clean Christian romance on Valentine's Day 2015 as a direct challenge to the 50 Shades of Gray movie.

Or it was going to make a comeback until I held open the door for a feminist and she called me an oppressor.

In even further Christian movie news, did y'all ever see The Buttercream Gang :allears:

Aw man, you mean were going to get two great lovely romances this February? :woop:

What is the Buttercream Gang?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

According to the Very Serious Guest CNN I just saw interviewed ISIS's oppression of Christians in Mosul amounts to a full-blown :supaburn: CHRISTIAN HOLOCAUST!!! :supaburn:

He claimed Christian children are being beheaded by the dozen in city squares, women raped and murdered by the score, men being hung (sic) from lamp posts, and other reliably well accounted-for non-hysterics.

This is what pisses me off about the whole persecution Complex these people have. This guy is being hyperbolic but there are places int he world where Christians are being persecuted. Christians in America feel they are persecuted because they can't shame people into following their lifestyle anymore.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 6, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

OK seriously, who chooses these titles? How can that not be intentional?

Get your mind out of the gutter. The Buttercreamers, as they refer to themselves, have a legacy that stretches back to the ACW, where likely young lads would help war widows cream their butter. To this day, Buttercreamers are a club devoted to being good white boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOWW-r0AWr8

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I just found out 50 Shades of Gray was about BDSM a couple weeks ago. Which is weird, wasn't the romance in the wildly popular source material chaste enough to be written by a Mormon?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Those of us suffering in Obama's America would be lucky to be ruled by ISIS.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 6, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I wouldn't doubt that ISIS is doing that. Its just that theres a ton of people other than christians getting that treatment too.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Shear Modulus posted:

I just found out 50 Shades of Gray was about BDSM a couple weeks ago. Which is weird, wasn't the romance in the wildly popular source material chaste enough to be written by a Mormon?

Yes, that's the point. That's why the fanfic was so popular.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

If you are talking about Twilight, it was written by a Mormon.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

Get your mind out of the gutter.

Never. :colbert:

BigRed0427 posted:

This is what pisses me off about the whole persecution Complex these people have. This guy is being hyperbolic but there are places int he world where Christians are being persecuted. Christians in America feel they are persecuted because they can't shame people into following their lifestyle anymore.

Yeah. The guy who was talking all this up, I probably don't need to mention, was a Californian (admittedly of Middle Eastern decent). So many American Christians seem to revel in appropriating the suffering of their coreligionists as evidence of their own persecution.

hobbesmaster posted:

I wouldn't doubt that ISIS is doing that. Its just that theres a ton of people other than christians getting that treatment too.

I'll never deny that ISIS consists almost exclusively of barbarous turds, and is in all likeyhood doing all sorts of atrocious things to anyone unfortunate enough to be under their control, but this guy was acting like 1) this was an exclusively Christian problem and 2) it was happening at levels similar to the pre-Second Coming part of Revelation.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Joementum posted:

I just don't really find anything alarming about using an RV toy to take wedding pictures.

And no one is stopping you or your friends from doing that. The (not really enforced) guidance from the FAA is that any commercial use of pilot-less aircraft is not allowed until proper guidelines are created. This takes time for the usual reasons (research, public comment periods, etc), and the resulting regulations are probably going to be common sense enough like weight, speed, and altitude limitations, insurance requirements, line of sight restrictions, redundancy of controls or failsafes, and so on. Until those guidelines are in place, it's better that companies don't just get to do whatever.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 6, 2014

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

VitalSigns posted:

No you missed the best part:

Just shows how much Rick Santorum really cares about Christians' religious freedom or about precious unborn babies for that matter. Rooting for more "persecution" of Christians, and wishing the court would rule against them because more "murdered" zygotes means more money and influence for him.

[Some] Christians have a weird thing where they view persecution as a positive. If they can suffer for their religion it gets them more heaven points. There is a story in Acts(?) where a group of the Apostles is beaten for being Christians and when they are released they jump for joy at the idea that they suffered for Christ. But those Muslims who want to die violently, those guys are weird.

W/R/T The Satanic Temple I am unfamiliar with their stated religious beliefs and how they compare to the Church of Satan, but they seem to be content to use their money and legal status to troll Christians at every point and make the argument that religious freedom laws in this country only seem to apply to Christians. I live in Oklahoma so you bet your rear end I want to see a giant Satan statue at the Capitol. I intend to take a day off of work and drive up to the unveiling. Not only have they pointed out the hypocrisy of having the Ten Commandments, but as someone who happens to listen to metal and have a fondness for Satanic imagery, the thing looks :krad:

The best part is that they took out an insurance policy on it equal to twice it's value. That way when some vigilante Christian tries to bust it up they have another ready to go and can afford to put another somewhere else.

Or maybe they just take down the 10 commandments. Either way.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

If you are talking about Twilight, it was written by a Mormon.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah. The guy who was talking all this up, I probably don't need to mention, was a Californian (admittedly of Middle Eastern decent). So many American Christians seem to revel in appropriating the suffering of their coreligionists as evidence of their own persecution.

I'll never deny that ISIS consists almost exclusively of barbarous turds, and is in all likeyhood doing all sorts of atrocious things to anyone unfortunate enough to be under their control, but this guy was acting like 1) this was an exclusively Christian problem and 2) it was happening at levels similar to the pre-Second Coming part of Revelation.

Christian persecutionists have gotten soft. Time was, even Middle Easterners hating Israel was evidence of the worldwide assault on Judeo-Christianity.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Shouldn't Christians love persecution? Like "gently caress yes bro push a sword into me. I can't believe my luck."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Shouldn't Christians love persecution? Like "gently caress yes bro push a sword into me. I can't believe my luck."

Fifty Shades of the Cross?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

zoux posted:

Uh I don't think we should be summarily executing people in the streets regardless of their stance on the Catholic Church child abuse coverup.

If the year 2100 rolls around and the Church hasn't made some serious progress, then maybe we should look into some alternative ways of addressing the issue.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So the beginning of a new thread seems like a good place to ask: Where do yall get your political news from? For the last year or so I've been getting 90%+ of that from DnD. What are the best news sources that aren't overt propaganda for one side or the other?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

"Blessed are you when people persecute you and bear false witness against you, because of me".

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Eschatos posted:

So the beginning of a new thread seems like a good place to ask: Where do yall get your political news from? For the last year or so I've been getting 90%+ of that from DnD. What are the best news sources that aren't overt propaganda for one side or the other?

Al Jazeera America.

Not joking.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eschatos posted:

Al Jazeera and The Guardian are both pretty good.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Eschatos posted:

Al- Jazzerra, BBC and VOX.com. Vice is good too if you wanna read about more fringe stuff. They actually had a interesting article about women int he MRA movement.

Honestly, I wish we did have a thread just comparing news sources and talking about who sucks and who is actually good.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 6, 2014

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

He's not fearmongering, he's fantasizing while stroking a barely concealed erection. Nothing, nothing is more terrifying to a Christian cleric than being ignored and forgotten.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Also 50 Shades of Gray was Weird and Creepy and I was not even slightly surprised to find out that it started out as a Twilight fanfic.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Eschatos posted:

Dave Weigel and Bob Costa are fantastic sources for keeping track of what those wiley fuckers in the GOP and movement conservatism are doing, which is pretty much all you need to know about what direction our country is headed in. I also subscribe to newsletters from Democratic and Tea Party activist organizations to see what their respective bases are going to be pissed about in the coming weeks. I also subscribe to the news feed of just about every federal agency that regulates or studies an issue that I am interested in, to keep tabs on the stuff that is actually happening. The result is that my inbox generally has a Tea Party petition to end the Ex-Im Bank alongside a press release from Ex-Im about all of the good stuff they're doing.

edit: Only talking about where I get my political news, all of those sources mentioned above are good, except for Vox, which is terrible.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Eschatos posted:

What are the best news sources that aren't overt propaganda for one side or the other?

I get nearly all of my news from overtly partisan sources, but I mostly follow domestic politics.

Roll Call is the best non-partisan news source for following Congress though.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Also 50 Shades of Gray was Weird and Creepy and I was not even slightly surprised to find out that it started out as a Twilight fanfic.

50 Shades is a legit terrible book that glorifies abusiveness and nonconsent, and it's tragic that it caught on like it did.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Read the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers, there is some: lets follow Jesus to the cross and not metaphorically. I'm looking forward to my being martyred by imperial selfish power type stuff.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

The Passion of Fifty Shades. :whip:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

The Passion of Fifty Shades. :whip:

I thought Mel Gibson already made that movie :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Mel Gibson made that.

e: gently caress, really

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Read the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers, there is some: lets follow Jesus to the cross and not metaphorically. I'm looking forward to my being martyred by imperial selfish power type stuff.

Filipinos are into it:

Note microphone for max crowd appeal.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SedanChair posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcellions

quote:

The Circumcellions regarded martyrdom as the true Christian virtue (as the early Church Father Tertullian said, "a martyr's death day was actually his birthday"), and thus disagreed with the Episcopal see of Carthage on the primacy of chastity, sobriety, humility, and charity. Instead, they focused on bringing about their own martyrdom.

On occasion, members of this group assaulted Roman legionaries or armed travelers with simple wooden clubs to provoke them into attacking and martyring them. Others interrupted courts of law and verbally provoked the judge so that he would order their immediate execution (a normal punishment at the time for contempt of court).[6] The sect survived until the fifth century in Africa.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Pfirti86 posted:

I wonder if there are any actual theistic Satantists in the way that evangelical Christians like to froth about. The only ones I ever hear of are the LaVeyan types, angry teenagers, those heavy metal people from Scandinavia, and one-off types who are trying to make a point about religious overreach.

Well, there's these people, sorta.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shear Modulus posted:

Twilight was written by a mormon and and multiple friends who are fans of it saw it as he basically venting her pent up fantasies. 50 shades of grey was a twilight fanfic originally. So 50 shades of grey is basically someone's fantasies of one of the male characters abusing the poo poo out of Bella or whatever that girl's name was.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Evil Fluffy posted:

So 50 shades of grey is basically someone's fantasies of one of the male characters abusing the poo poo out of Bella or whatever that girl's name was.

James has described the Fifty Shades trilogy as "my midlife crisis, writ large. All my fantasies in there, and that's it."

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Reminder that one of the justifications for bombing Hamas is "they value death."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And no one is stopping you or your friends from doing that. The (not really enforced) guidance from the FAA is that any commercial use of pilot-less aircraft is not allowed until proper guidelines are created. This takes time for the usual reasons (research, public comment periods, etc), and the resulting regulations are probably going to be common sense enough like weight, speed, and altitude limitations, insurance requirements, line of sight restrictions, redundancy of controls or failsafes, and so on. Until those guidelines are in place, it's better that companies don't just get to do whatever.

I can't imagine having one at a wedding anyway

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I eeeeeeeeeeeee now eeeeEEEEEEEEEE Pronounce You EEEEEEEEEEEE HUSBAND EEEEEEEEEEE AND EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WIFE! EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Although if the bride managed to pick one out of the air with the bouquet that would be a pretty great memory.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 6, 2014

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

made of bees posted:

Well, there's these people, sorta.

not so fun fact: ISIS are in the process of mass murdering them as we speak

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Eschatos posted:

Previously mentioned and NPR when in the car. PBS NewsHour is good if you don't have cable. If you want an idea of what's happening inside the beltway and how the parties are going to spin things, watch the Sunday morning talk shows. They test a lot of stuff there.

Pornographic Memory posted:

not so fun fact: ISIS are in the process of mass murdering them as we speak

Soon, all the Zoroastrians will be gone and the two remaining religions will join to create the ultimate deity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I seem to recall on many occasions those Sunday shows have had entire episodes with zero Democrats, I don't think I remember the last time they had Democrats-only exclusively.

• Locked thread