Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Fried Chicken posted:

A patent does not mean it is a deployed feature reliably used. These groups have patented a number of ideas and goals as a way of staking out end user goals and also setting it so the developer then can't turn around and sell it to a competing agency.

I know for a fact there is a patent for a passive terahertz scanning system to allow scanning what people are carrying without going through the X-ray line at the airport, I also know that we don't have terahertz generators capable of doing that.

Edit: for years Sony has held a patent for using ultrasonics to remotely stimulate desire centers in the brain, the idea being that when a Pepsi commercial comes on they make you start craving it. Scientifically, it is grounded in theory. Realistically, it's total vapor ware and if they tried it you'd see the executives get hammered

Umm, THz scanning is well beyond this point, both active and passive. Like I understand your initial point and it certainly rings true for a lot of patents, but passive THz scanners actually dont generate THz themselves. It's more of a detector, and the requirements for active scanning are pretty trivial not to mention already progressed beyond laboratory testing and into commercial products. Unless you're talking about Minority Report level technology where you are nearing omniscience for large public areas, THz tech is pretty established. The costs and uncertainty of health effects for a lot of THz tech are the prohibitive factors, and when it comes to passive tech you're not even concerned about the latter part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Sex in a hospital is loving disgusting. But anyways, if he's court ordered to stop banging his wife it's probably a lot more screwed up than some "I love you dear" scenario.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

The venn overlap between people having sex in a hospital/nursing home and old men over 60 is not a group you associate with caring and love rather than abuse, and that's before adding in court orders or dementia.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Things like "Russia bad" and "Democrats Bad" and "Republicans are great"

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Although no one can truly replace the notorious RBG, Sotomayor has done a great job so far playing a similar role. I don't really fear for future Dem-nominated replacements, although the process might be a giant clusterfuck depending on how bad the senate is positioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Some say the machine spirit program is an extension of the god emperor reagan.

• Locked thread