Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Bizarro Watt posted:

Is there more information on this?

The signs in the Central Valley warning about black helicopters and blaming everything on congress have been getting bigger and bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Joementum posted:

Is Mo Brooks still talking about the race war? Let's check and see.

Yup, he is!

I just got conservative talking point bingo with an extra "Obama only won because he is black" while arguing with someone saying thus stuff. Is there a pamphlet were I can learn who the real racists are? Apparently it's me and I want to see my picture under some malicious heading.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Holy poo poo, "the NYPD never choked a banker." Way to nail it in a single sentence.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Ferguson is majority French?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hm, I could have sworn there was a third thing he was exceptionally skilled at, but it's not coming to me.

I don't get this joke. A little help?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I think the Republicans broke the irony meter with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-YapDAWLkQ

Iran is jihadist now?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Do you need me to trundle out that revolting Ramirez cartoon with Iran as a sewer grate with cockroaches scurrying out of it?

What I mean is, never mind that every jihadist group I have ever heard of is made up of Sunnis and that Iran is a majority Shia state. I don't think that I have ever seen any Iranian rhetoric that was based on religion, rather than being about western countries meddling in the affairs of the middle east. I'm not going to pretend to be particularly well informed, but even in my dim ignorance the 'Iranian jihadists' thing seems stupid to me. Am I off base here?

Also, I see it is too late for me to ask you not to post it. :(

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Technogeek posted:

I'm more confused by why they're bothering to target west Texas.

EDIT: Actually, looking closer, I suppose Lubbock might vaguely resemble a valid target if you're firing that many, and there are a few USAF bases aroud there. I'm still calling the one aimed at Midland a waste of a perfectly good nuclear warhead, though.

Big Springs VA hospital?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, the company run by Andrew Hunt, the Libertarian candidate for Governor of Georgia, has received $38m in federal grants, but it's OK because the market a panel of nerds decides: "It’s not an earmark to a company. It’s not pork,” Hunt said. “Engineers and scientists sit on a panel and decide who gets the award or not."

I couldn't read the whole article, but a lot of that money appears to come from the SBIR/STTR program (link). The funny thing is that the DOE has a mandate to spend X% of its science budget (I dunno the line item name) on the SBIR program. So the size of the money pot available for him to mooch off of is directly proportional to the rest of the "pork" in the DOE science budget. He also got ARRA money in at least one of those grants, literally money being spent for the sake of spending it.

He is miss characterizing the SBIR process. Generally, a program manager contacts researchers that he knows and trusts to get a list of things that would help his program (and sometimes those information requests are forwarded on to the companies likely to apply!). Then he puts together a solicitation based on what they want and companies apply. A set of reviewers, picked by the program manager, review the proposal and return reports to the program manager who then can do whatever he wants with that information. Bad reviews do not assure failure and good reviews do not assure success. The applicant can (and should!) know the scientists who want the work done and the program manager, who may then go soft on reviews or pick his application despite bad/middling reviews. He isn't some faceless company applying to a blindfolded panel of un-biased judges.

• Locked thread