Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why do they wait so long for them anyway? It seems an odd habit to keep.

The polls were open here in Michigan from 8 to 8 iirc, and counting ballots still can take time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

:siren: Local politichat :siren:

A recent issue in my local corner of the county has been an effort to consolidate the firefighting services of two or more townships, and the back-and-forth battle over whether to actually go ahead and do that or not. Right now each township in the area (each twp. being somewhere between 30-40 square miles) has its own firefighting services, which work inside the townships and don't cross township lines.

A local township supervisor tried to get her township and one of the neighboring ones to combine their services together, to facilitate faster response times and (somewhat) reduce overall operating costs. Our township board scuttled the plan, stating that they don't trust the other township to not eventually break any agreement to share resources and leave with some of our township's equipment paid for with our money (this apparently did happen once in the 1980s). When the plan was wrecked by the board, the supervisor resigned in frustration, and it's her seat that I'm now running for in a special election.

I think there's a local model that could be used to come up with a solution that would both placate the fears of the township board and successfully combine services in two or more local municipalities, but I'm not entirely sure how it'd work out except for some of the broadest strokes. Right now, hospitals in three counties (including ours) contract ambulance services out to a nonprofit. The nonprofit is not linked to any one municipality, all the equipment used is owned by the nonprofit, and their service record has been a good one. I don't entirely understand their funding mechanisms and I have not been able to find an actual agreement between the nonprofit and any municipality regarding operations, so I don't know what the details are there just yet.

Still, would it be both feasible and a Good Idea to have both townships contract out to a third-party nonprofit for firefighting services, as a means of combining services without having that "oh god what if the other guys bolt" fear there, or is contracting poo poo out a bad idea and I'm a fool for considering it?

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 10, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why not start a nonprofit with the chairs of the other town boards and then vote to sub-contract a 'coordination management' role or somesuch, merging the 3 departments into a nonprofit, lowering costs, and taking the difference as a cut?

I'd still mark that down as "third-party" in that it isn't technically controlled by any of the interested municipalities, but my grasp of the politician's lexicon and what actually means what is still rather rusty.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

VideoTapir posted:

I'm sure they could outsource it to a private for-profit company with the state's blessing.
If I thought I could lead a bunch of Republican board members into establishing a worker's council of fire services, I would.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

haveblue posted:

Just out of curiosity, what would be the ideal police response to this? They can't very well just admit that the bad guys are unstoppable and go home.

tbf they were stopped and the only two fatalities were the suspects themselves.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Radbot posted:

Are people more openly racist than they were 20 years ago or are they just more racist? And how does it correlate to the economy (the one felt by proles, not the one defined by GDP)?
Part of it's got to be that it's just easier to see and read about racism, via the internet.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jackson Taus posted:

It seems like the major hurdle is ownership of the physical equipment, which in your model you're going to, what, gift to the third-party? Plus if the fundamental concern of the township board is that they won't have control over their fire services, this model gives them even less control, and leaves a lot of ways for the other municipalities to screw you (by negotiating a better contract, for instance). I'm not saying it's not a good idea, I'm just saying it doesn't seem to address the stated concerns of the other supervisors.
My Imaginary GF's suggestion,

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why not start a nonprofit with the chairs of the other town boards and then vote to sub-contract a 'coordination management' role or somesuch, merging the 3 departments into a nonprofit, lowering costs, and taking the difference as a cut?
would probably deal with some of that control issue, since members of the township governments would have seats on the nonprofit that way. If a specific township pulls out, though, that way if/when their representatives on the nonprofit board leave they don't automatically get a bunch of the nonprofit's equipment. The townships get representation and control, but there's much less of a threat of loss if another party backs out.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Amergin posted:

Counterpoint: Diplomacy has been working swimmingly with I/P, Syria, Libya, Russia/Ukraine, Iraq/IS...
War is a component of diplomacy itself. :colbert:

More seriously, a hawkish approach to international affairs still involves many of the same authorities and organizations as peaceful diplomacy does. The half-hearted hesitant waffling which seems to cripple many efforts at resolving conflicts would still be present in armed interventions, because many of the same people would be at the helm for either approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

So what if a justice dies and court hangs at 4-4? What then?

The Gipper awakens from his slumber, retrieves Excalibur and returns to the White House to become the President Eternal. Conservatism will enjoy permanent victory and prosperity shall wash o'er the land.

• Locked thread