Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

sleepingbuddha posted:

I think Paul was able to get up and leave the lunch so quickly because he has the muscle memory to do so from doing it every time a minority approaches him.
To this day, if you say the word Brazoswood to him the hairs on the back of his neck stand up and he begins scanning for fleet footed folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
More like Warren G's Hardon.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SavageBastard posted:

Slate Political Gabfest contributor spotted.
Long-time ashamed listener, first-time commenter.

Actually, I haven't had my podcasts in about two months because of phone issues and I'm going nuts.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SavageBastard posted:

I presume you've been skipping cocktail parties during this time for obvious reasons.
There aren't a lot of Jewish community centers in Bangkok, so they don't make it here much.

Seriously, is there anything more beltway cocktail circuit painful than listening to John Dickerson and David Plotz and Emily Bazelon? Each of them encompasses one entire aspect of what I hate about our political media, with obvious Venn Diagram overlap.

EDIT: Actually, currently in Phuket where they never make it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
While it applies to both, I think UAV is distinct in its connotation (unless you're a security nutter and want to call your quadcopter a UAV).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

I just don't really find anything alarming about using an RV toy to take wedding pictures.
Do you New Englanders serious drive radio controlled RVs around? That wouldn't surprise me, actually.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Check it out eh we're like Brehkin Bad here ayup.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SirKibbles posted:

Never mind then why can't be people be united in their love rational self-interest for the dark lord and master :smith:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That has got to be a prank, heh.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Warmachine posted:

He could if he had an F-35 Grover Strike Fighter.
The Groveritech VF-1 Valkyrie sports insulated stairs for comfortable access to the cockpit when in vehicle form while featuring vinyl siding to shield the haunches and legs from thrust in mecha and guardian modes.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Evil Fluffy posted:

And yet he will be brought down by geriatrics on rascals.
And you will know them by the provenance of their motorized scooters.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh boy. We tried to get out but Iraq PULLED US BACK IN :smithicide:
Somewhere in a Senate meeting room, Lindsey Graham is furiously darting his head around to catch McCain's red, white and blue semen as it fills the air in endless streams like a bottomless party popper.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

McCain is actually in Vietnam today, calling for the lifting of the US embargo on arms sales to that country.
He's there calling for the lifting of arms

embargoes

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

The RNC has just officially voted to select Cleveland as the site of the 2016 RNC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Warcabbit posted:

It is easy to mistake 'on fire' with 'red', I admit.
Also I forgot the most famous song on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtW8RkI3-c4

EDIT: Also the entire 30 Rock story arc on Cleveland, which was hilarious.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 8, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Isn't the Jesus Horse musem just a bit outside Cleveland too?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

Nah, it's just Southwest of Cincinnati, in Petersburg, KY (because of course it's in Kentucky).
I'm from Texas, so this translates to "over yonder" which infers a reasonable 3-5 hour drive.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DemeaninDemon posted:

All that butt sex will though.
Cleveland only has one airport, though, which means like 50% as many bathrooms as a major city. Once all the VIPs like Larry Craig book in it's going to really cramp the style of a lot of hardcore Christians.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I put no political stock in this, but I like that Grassley always looks like a politician who you might remotely enjoy speaking with for a second, as opposed to pretty much every younger politician - and his peers like McConnell. I cannot imagine a conversation with McConnell, who always looks like he's either about to laugh, but is stopping himself - or is about to poo poo and is stopping himself.

EDIT: Or has just poo poo himself and doesn't want you to know.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Dumb as a loving bag of hammers.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

The X-man cometh posted:

Elizabeth Warren should ruin that whole video as a campaign ad.
I think Sarah Plain & Dumb beat her to it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

isildur posted:

I find it hard to listen to Heart's "Barracuda" any more. Politicians should be required to compose their own music.
Be careful what you wish for:

http://time.com/2851467/thai-coup-junta-happiness-song/

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

The White House quickly rushed to clarify that he was speaking hypothetically, but was he?
The Pelikenyan Brief.

Sir Tonk posted:

Ok this seems reasonable, plenty of internet companies probably make most of their money this way. I'd be curious to know how many zombie Netflix accounts are out there racking up free money.
This is why re-billing became a huge flashpoint and the FTC actually finally did something about it a number of years ago. It was being abused like gently caress. It still is, but from what I gather it requires a lot more trickery to abuse now.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

Chuck Todd is going to be the new Meet the Press moderator. This job could also be done by a broomstick wearing a wig stuck in a bucket of sand.
What happened with David Gregory? Don't tell me that ratings were down and he sucked at the job because IT'S A SUNDAY MORNING POLITICAL TALK SHOW AND RATINGS ARE ALWAYS DOWN AND THEY ALL SUCK AT THE JOB - IT'S THE NATURE OF THE JOB.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Let Amy Goodman share the chair with Chuck Todd.

quote:

GOODMAN: Vice President Biden, talk to us about what it's like to order the murder of brown children in the name of the oilgarchy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I had to look this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5qR0aff0Kk

How did she not notice the trough full of gore?
In fairness to Para Sailin', when you grow up and live around this stuff it's 100% not-noticeable. I pretty much guarantee that no one who liked her or would vote for her saw anything odd. I only really found it funny after years living away from that stuff - I guess I mean I can see why it's funny and it made me laugh at the time. Still, there's nothing particularly odd about it in rural farm/ranch life.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I think the obvious issue is that this wasn't a violent protest and then some idiot decided to take it upon himself to stick his dick in the mashed potatoes and make things worse for everyone. Idiots like that are the problem, not peaceful or violent protests inherently. Or, you know, given the way these cops are acting for all we know it was one of them, heh.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Okay, in that case can you make the legal case here against Perry? Because I've never liked the guy, I'd love to see him brought up on charges if they're legit, but the Travis County DA's office is what it is and this charge even sounds bogus to me.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Good Citizen posted:

Ha ha ha how have I never seen this picture before?
It's one of a series and Perry never, ever smiles. He keeps that hilarious fake frown on his face with some serious discipline.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Capfalcon posted:

The charge isn't that Perry vetoed something. It's that Perry literally said, "Resign or I'm going to refuse to fund to your entire department."

Threatening elected officials with reprisals if they don't resign is a no-no, hence abuse of power charges. It's especially fishy because they were investigating the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas, which is one of Perry's darlings. So, there's also the angle that he did that to protect possible corruption.
I don't think that's exactly right. If he had just threatened they wouldn't have a case. The case is that he zeroed out the funding.

https://lintvkxan.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/rick-perry-indictment.pdf

It basically says he misused government property (i.e. her organization's funding) and then that he tried to influence her with this misuse - the tying of the two together being key to the case as without the two charges being tied you don't get to talk about a 5-99 year sentence or whatever.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Perry's going to double down and start wearing loafers and a scarf now.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Violating some kind of endangered species act for whatever that thing on his head was before he killed it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Europeans in general, and Brits in particular, in my experience, are wayyyyyy less reluctant to wade right into something political and just take a strong stand on principle. I mean we all think of idiots like Limbaugh and all those moron pundits who make a living shouting trash when we think of American politics, but the vast majority of American political discourse is people trying to find some way to disagree without breaking consensus, which is why we pretty much invented, "Well they're all the same!" and have idolized The Independent Voter. Even most of the pundits who are really loathed here on SA aren't the Sean Hannity types who you know are just shilling for a buck, but the seething mass of Chuck Todds and John Dickersons and Wolf Blitzers who way outnumber everyone else and are desperately seeking to suck up to power by performing the reporting of news without ever actually doing anything of substance. Oliver's not playing along party lines, he's just going, "That poo poo is wrong!" and then doing a segment on it, which is also surely due to his outside upbringing.

If you've listened to the Bugle for a long time you've probably also noticed how enthusiastic John Oliver is to have his green card. I'm sure in his position it helps to be outside of the UK's more onerous speech laws too, but that's probably not as big a deal since he's pretty much just reporting poo poo that's documented.

Or maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. Party at the moon tower!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm never going to feel the same about using the phrase, "You ___________ like old people gently caress." again.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
He was casting loving spells. Gah.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Like it's called black magic for nothing :rolleyes:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Not the first goon in this vein. Dolex comes to mind. For what happens without treatment and/or medication, see Hangly Man.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

Speaking of idiot Joes who run for Congress, Joe Miller lost his primary last night. :toot: / :smith:
Ladies and gentlemen, Alaska may be full, but the hearts of Alaskans everywhere are a little emptier this fine two hour evening...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Most of the time they're really nice people in person, they just have completely bizarre and angry political views. I know many of them personally. They'll give you the shirt off their backs, invite you over for dinner, be gregarious and then a picture of Obama will flash by on the screen and it's like someone with PTSD hearing a car backfire.

Anyway, there is a minority who are just spiteful and mean 100% of the time and, as with insanely angry liberals, they spend a disproportionate amount of time working on politics, but most people are just consuming politics and forming opinions the same way they consume automobiles and sports and suchlike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

420DD Butts posted:

This is true, the most virulently racist and conservative people I've met have all been from the suburbs.
Visit rural Louisana or East Texas, to pick a couple offhand. I know what you're talking about, but if this is true then you haven't seen the real blue collar version. They don't wait for the car door to close or look around both ways before talking about the niggers loudly. Want directions? Take a left at Niggertown. When you see the old friend of the family sitting on the tree stump, you almost dere. Dat boy sheriff Papillon, he a high yella niggah, you ain't gon have no problem wid him. Mmhmm.

• Locked thread