Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

rip Bulat, you were too good for this gay Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gonna bet Akame ends up dead next, via Kurome.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah, also dropped. Chars stupid, story stupid and the action has become worse and worse over time.

You have terrible taste.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

drat, they're getting to the religious organization arc pretty quickly. I figured they would cut the anime off at the end of it, but I'll guess they'll be doing that later.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm not sure I'd ever call the writing in this series good. Serviceable, sure. Willing to surprise you (with sudden character deaths) sure. This series is violent action schlock, and is probably the closest we'll ever get to the ultraviolent OVAs from the 80s and 90s, and that's why I love it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah they're really speeding things up to account for the few episodes remaining. Explains why they introduced Budo when otherwise they really couldn't have gotten to him. Hopefully we'll get to see him actually fight.

I wish they had animated the spiel about the scythe Teigu. It was kinda hilarious to have a few pages about this mysterious lost Teigu and then Akame just chumps the guy using it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

abaddonis posted:

I'm really bummed out that they skipped a LOT of material including:

Mine and Tatsumi start dating, Rin dying and becoming one of Kurome's puppets, the torture and (actual) death of Lubbock, and the introduction of the rest of the minister's squad

They essentially went from chapter 38 to chapter 52

While it sucks those things are skipped, otoh it looks like we'll be skipping most of Wild Hunt's antics, which were pretty boring on the whole.

Plus they still animated this.

I like how they changed Shura's teigu to make it more suitable for actual combat.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 16, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

I don't think Esdeath has the Time Freeze powers, because they skipped over the entire arc which forced her to reveal it.

Uh, she used her time freeze powers in the most recent episode. They basically combined the last part of the church arc with the current one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

He's talking about the manga. Latest chapter just got translated.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Okay, so nothing big happened, just the main character dying. Of all the characters for this show to kill off, Tatsumi did not seem likely.

Next episode is going to be the last one. Akame vs Esdeath should only really go one way, but recent episodes have too much of the "This isn't even my final form!", so I'm looking forward to the contrivance that lets Akame win

Well, going by the preview it seems her teigu has a trump card. My guess is she kills Esdeath but using it kills her as well.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am not going to bother watching that episode tell me everyone who died in that episode.

It's a p. good episode you should.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maybe they should have just fallowed the manga or not have sped through the material they were given or aim for a 2nd season. Lots of stuff they could have done.

They couldn't even get 26 episodes, there never would have been a second season. I don't get why people are so upset about the ending. It's pretty good and seems to be wrapping up all of the dangling plot threads. Only real bad episode was the Shura one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

They skipped about 15-20 chapters of the manga, there was a ton of material there, White Fox just decided to not adapt it. They could've ended this season at the resolution of the Wild Hunt arc, and in a year's time there'd be a whole bunch more stuff to adapt. Probably not another 24-26 episodes worth, but at least another one-cour series.

Except getting a second season (that's anything but right after the first) pretty much never happens with anything other than the most popular series. It was never going to get a second season so they made due with what they had, and they did a pretty good job.

Not to mention that, as said above, the Wild Hunt stuff was boring. It resulted in some decent characterization of Run, Kurome, and Wave, but Wild Hunt themselves were literally just nameless mooks that happened to have actual names/unique designs, all being murderous-rapists who got killed off in like a single chapter.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alopex posted:

There is one guy in Wild Hunt whose personality gimmick can be summed up as "Not a rapist" and that tells you all you need to know about Wild Hunt.

Two, technically. The other being the cannibalistic alchemist lady, so not much better.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alopex posted:

That used to be accurate, but sucking Tatsumi's blood made her hit puberty so she tried to rape him in prison with that other girl.

It's almost enough to make me wish we had Stylish back - he gave off some pretty creepy vibes but in hindsight he didn't really do anything with that beyond creating an army of leather-clad furries. The good old days, when the Jaegars were the worst people in the show for doing things like burning children to death or burying 400 thousand people alive.

I completely forgot about that. That in itself speaks volumes about the quality I guess. :v:

The Jaegers were good. They were complete psychos, but they all had something to their character and most were/are at least a bit sympathetic.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That was a very good final episode.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I stuck with the anime for about 5 or 6 episodes and kind of forgot about it for the most part, is it worth binge-watching now that it's done?

It's pretty entertaining violent action schlock. If you like that definitely watch it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Their ending in the manga is...not so happy (I haven't seen the anime and am assuming you're not being sarcastic and they actually gave them a good ending in it).

They live and are part of the effort to provide relief to the populace after the Revolutionary Army takes over.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I did not read their side chapter. I am guessing they died somehow.

I thought it happened in a main chapter. When they visit Bols' grave, the mom gets raped and murdered by the pirate, the child the same by the pedo clown.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

Wrong one, you're talking about Bors' family. He's talking about three random girls who show up and are horrifically tortured/raped/etc. in typical AgK fashion in a side chapter that ends with Leone killing the guy who did it to them.

Oh. I didn't realize since I didn't read any of the side chapters either. And have terrible reading comprehension.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Out of curiosity what happened to the Emperor in the ending.

Executed by the Revolutionary Army after they took over.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Candy Dawn posted:

I wonder how much input the author had on those last episodes. Since the manga is still going. Possibly a hint on what's to come?

The last episode seemed rushed. Esdeath with all her power died too quick. she can kill a whole army with a brush of her hand but she doesn't seem to go that route with Akame? I know Akame is an awesome assassin but still. They made Esdeath seem almost too powerful in every other episode and Akame showed me nothing that I can think of for me to think she could kill Esdeath in like 10 minutes. I know Esdeath used her trump card and got fooled but even before that she should have been able to kill Akame without too much trouble. Akame always felt like a secondary character to me too so I never figured out why the show is named after her and why she is apparently so important. All she did was eat meat and kill lots of people and have a sister who was also raised as an assassin. Maybe I'm missing something that will be shown in the manga eventually?

For one, killing an entire army doesn't mean all that much in anime. Yeah Esdeath is powerful, moreso than anyone else alive, but she's not immune to Murasame's poison. She was significantly more powerful than Akame and pretty much destroying her in the first half of the fight, and it was Akame using her trump card that allowed her to keep pace with Esdeath and thus kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't feel it was rushed since that's kind of the pace the show has had going since the beginning, where poo poo will just end suddenly cause they managed to kill their target or w/e.

• Locked thread