Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

THE STORY :

Once upon a time, a young swordsman named Tatsumi travels to the imperial capital city in search of a way to make money and save his poverty-stricken village. When he gets there, he finds that life there is far more difficult than he expected. The capital is full of corruption, the emperor is a puppet to evil, and around every corner something terrible is lurking. He is unable to get a job and unknowingly is placed in mortal danger.

While seeking to defend the kindness of a family that has taken him in, he comes into contact with Night Raid - a group of assassins working to bring down the evil within the Capital, one bloody kill at a time. Against his protests they take him in and he reluctantly (at first) joins them.

CHARACTERS :

Tatsumi is a strong swordsman with strong morals who doesn't really fit in well with the rest of Night Raid.

Night Raid

From left to right :

Mine is a sniper who uses a special sniper rifle that, I quote, "Becomes stronger the more of a pinch she's in". She's a brat and comes into conflict with Tatsumi frequently.

Akame is a very serious warrior who uses a cursed sword to fight. One nick is all it takes for her to kill someone. She has an obsession with eating meat.

Bulat is a powerful man with a huge Pompadour who is totally gay. He wears bigass battle armor in battle that makes him all but invincible. He's constantly helping Tatsumi man up, though Tatsumi (understandably) tends to be rather weirded out by it. (Tatsumi is shown bottom middle just below Bulat)

Leone is a con artist/thief type character who tends to be the big overbearing sister type. She has a belt that lets her turn into a sort of half-animal form where she literally rips people apart.

Lubbock is a perverted guy who... gently caress. That's all we've really seen from his character thus far. But we're only a few episodes in and to be fair he seems to be rather level-headed in several scenes, often pointing out reasonable ways of going about things and whatnot. In battle he uses gloves that extend 'strong strings' (Wires) that let him lay traps, slice up people, and generally cause mayhem.

Sheele is a clumsy shy girl who has a very sweet, caring streak. Unless she's killing someone, then she becomes an incredibly competent, cold-blooded merciless maniac. She wields a giant pair of scissors which she uses to cut people in half.

SO WHAT IS IT LIKE?

It reminds me strongly of World Conquest Zvezda in many ways, but the differences are just as strong. Tatsumi ends up being far less reluctant than Asuta/Dva ever was. Still, there's the big burly guy in armor, Tatsumi ends up being recruited as a cook, etc. Quite a lot of strong similarities between the two. One strong DIFFERENCE is that Akame ga Kill! is quite bloody, with people being cut in half, dismembered, heads severed all over the place, etc. Blood and gore alone isn't really enough to keep the show going but so far it hasn't been all that bad. It has broken my expectations a few times - the quiet female lead ends up showing emotion and becoming more of a character and less of a robot on more than one occasion. Some things feel weird, like the outfits are a vast range from modernish (Tatsumi's sweater and button-up shirt), to sort-of medieval, to everything in between.

I'd say, give it a try. At least give it a 3-episode test. I don't expect it'll be for everyone, but i expect some people will have quite a bit of fun with it.

It's currently airing on Crunchyroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

My favorite part of the original comic is the several one shot chapters where nameless people get raped and murdered, because the bad people are bad, you see.

Thus far that hasn't made it into the anime (yet). Bad people are still bad people and the rape/murder/etc is still implied but it hasn't seemed excessive (yet).

We're only 5 episodes in so who knows how good or bad it could go from here.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've been watching too many of those 'POWER OF FRIENDSHIP' shows.

Seeing a member of the protagonist's faction and one of his friends get killed in such a fashion was definitely unexpected as hell.

But then that's one of the reasons I like this show. No punches pulled. Literally.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Bulat just chopping that guy in half straight up was unexpected too, the show isn't afraid to keep things going fast and fresh. Probably my favourite of the season so far.

I loved that bit.

When those three lieutenants were first introduced it seemed like the standard shonen lackeys. Each would be 1 episode to defeat, requiring the heroes to put their lives on the line before they find a way past the trick and KO them.

Instead, one of them is OHKO'ed and literally cut in half vertically and I get the feeling the fight with the other two isn't going to be the typical shonen battle.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

bondster posted:

New episode is up and I got extreme deja vu considering Bulats VA voiced another badass older brother mentor who also died around this point as well

I got extreme deja-vu from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_prZ0JrbQrU

My blood! He... HE PUNCHED OUT ALL MY BLOOD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

What does this even mean?

If you mean the original title I came up with, it was because Akame Ga Kill's first few episodes gave me some tremendous Zvezda vibes. "Evil" organization living together, working together, day-to-day making dinner and the like. The Berserk vibes come from watching people getting dismembered and killed off quite easily and regularly.

If you mean 'naked kids loving' then I don't know either, but it disturbs me.

khy fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 28, 2015

• Locked thread