Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

fruition posted:

People always love to say this, and I understand it's not completely 100% time off from "work" because you're planning and attending meetings but come on.
If you haven't worked as a teacher, kindly gently caress the gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Did you read the story of the teacher that came to work the first day of school drunk and without pants? That is what I imagine is the requirement to not be fired as a school teacher. Just showing up sometimes even drunk and pantsless.
If you want to be a lovely teacher, then yes, you can do a lot before being fired. Do I really need to say that it's immoral to become a teacher planning to be a lovely teacher? Suggesting that someone become a teacher because it's easy time-wise is ridiculous. Most teachers work summer jobs or summer school to pay bills. Most teachers tutor after school and on weekends for extra money, because they don't give you money for school supplies and you have to buy them yourself. It sucks. Planning lessons and grading gives you 10-12 hour days your first year when you don't have any resources to fall back on.

The fact that 20 years of experience makes you 80k? I made 80k my first year after I quit teaching, working half as much.

Unless you have a burning passion to teach, DO NOT BECOME A TEACHER. Even if you do, it probably isn't worth it.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Tutoring, lol.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

I haven't reached the point where I'm ready to quit teaching, despite everything you mentioned up there being true. Still though, where do you get started on decent paying tutoring jobs?
If you want to do everything yourself, just start putting up posters in local cafes and grocery stores near schools. Or get a job tutoring through a company - I was working for 3-4 different places I found off Craigslist and then one of them gave me more and more hours, and then I got promoted to manage all of the tutors in that tutoring center. That said, I tutor math and science and SAT/ACT, so there's no way I will ever be out of a job. If you want to get into test prep, now's the time - the changing SAT in a year is going to gently caress poo poo up and everybody will be looking for someone who's qualified to tutor the "new SAT," so if you bone up on the new material you'll be in demand.

• Locked thread