Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ragg posted:

Like you

:downsbravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

You're clapping because of how much you agree.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
knuc is just salty because he can't beat nonstop infinite climax mode on Bayonetta because he is a scrub :smug:

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

cmykjester posted:

knuc is just salty because he can't beat nonstop infinite climax mode on Bayonetta because he is a scrub :smug:

I believe it.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I haven't played the ps3 version of bayonetta, are people mad at the taint reaper for suggesting that its not bad, or mad that he said that people who get mad at tripping in smash bros are dumb, because at this point in time i don't have any reason to disagree with either of them.

or are people just getting taint reaped again

Bayo on PS3 runs at 30fps and has abysmal loading times, they released a patch to make the loading times better but it's still not as good as the 360 version
But the upcoming Wii U version will be the best of them all so i'm holding off on playing it until then

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Also Platinum is the best and The Wonderful 101 is one of the best games I have played in years
There is so very much I could say about TW101, I could talk about it forever

like how it's amazing how all 100 members of the team have their own little backstories and logos

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

all of your troubles are dead and gone~
I really want a wii u

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
people asking why bayoneta sucks on the ps3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZg8ebaARmY
I think that having a spectacle brawler at 30fps make it pretty broken.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

bayonetta is a good enough game that, if you could not play the 360 version, the ps3 version is still great fun despite its flaws

i hope wii u version is really good because i wanna dress up like a princess and summon bowser

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
the only platinum game i genuinely liked was vanquish, but i liked it a whole hell of a lot so that makes them v. good in my book

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

SeXReX posted:

Viewtiful loving joe

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Ragg posted:

Like you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km27QN8Zq00

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
so has the original Devil May Cry achieved classic game status? I played it for the first time a few months ago. I love that it's halfway between action and Resident Evil, with all the weird descriptions of random object and "three pieces that fit in the door to open it" quests. But forreal the atmosphere is legit and it basically poineered that genre right? i don't know what that genre is called though. platinum continues to be its leader though (bayonetta, mgsr). Hack n slash I guess is the closest, but I always assumed that was just a beat em up with swords. This genre is like a beat em up meets a fighting game meets an action/adventure platformer.

isn't every game an action/adventure game? oh it has items and levels kinda maybe its an action/adventure RPG n' slash.

maybe just DMC-like.

maybe just a platinum game.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Game Journalists usually call that Genre "Character Action Games" which personally I think is a loving terrible ne but whatever.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

'stylish action' is sometimes used as well i think but i don't know if that's any better

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nintendo is epic.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
People saying the new DmC was a good game, fans just hated his hair is my trigger.

Pick up a copy of Bayo or even DMC 3 or 4 and see how fixking wrong you are.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

give back the ds you stupid homo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

cmykjester posted:

People saying the new DmC was a good game, fans just hated his hair is my trigger.

Pick up a copy of Bayo or even DMC 3 or 4 and see how fixking wrong you are.

those people are insanely retarded and would probably prefer the new one anyway, and then go buy the next 6 assassins creed games as well

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

zelgadis posted:

maybe just DMC-like.

That works fine. Character Action sounds dumb like rpg.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
W101 is really good but I am still pretty bad at it. I think getting the dodging and reflect skills earlier on would have been a good idea.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

cmykjester posted:

Game Journalists

Lol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Please do not associate Taint Reaper's praise of Infinite Space as it being a bad game because it is actually very great.

Thank you.

Soral
May 30, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

W101 is really good but I am still pretty bad at it. I think getting the dodging and reflect skills earlier on would have been a good idea.

hm yes it is possible that getting the dodge and block moves in a character action game as soon as possible would have been a good idea

Dec 26, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Please do not associate Taint Reaper's praise of Infinite Space as it being a bad game because it is actually very great.

Thank you.

the greatest trick the taint reaper ever pulled was inserting true statements into his usual material

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

zelgadis posted:

so has the original Devil May Cry achieved classic game status? I played it for the first time a few months ago. I love that it's halfway between action and Resident Evil, with all the weird descriptions of random object and "three pieces that fit in the door to open it" quests. But forreal the atmosphere is legit and it basically poineered that genre right? i don't know what that genre is called though. platinum continues to be its leader though (bayonetta, mgsr). Hack n slash I guess is the closest, but I always assumed that was just a beat em up with swords. This genre is like a beat em up meets a fighting game meets an action/adventure platformer.

I like the term Stylish Action because it's as silly as the series it springs from

Honestly, even though DMC3 and 4 have way better combat, I think DMC1 is my favourite game in the series, because of the stuff you mentioned.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i really like dmc4, i think a lot of people hate on it because you revisit a few stages and i can understand that complaint but the combat is really good and both nero and dante are fun to play as

i really like w101 but i don't like how many minigame stages it has. it just felt like a few too many. still need to play through it on the higher difficulties, it was really fun

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
anarchy reigns is great and only died because you fuckers didn't buy it t:mad:

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

I bought God Hand about a month ago after someone on here mentioned it. I haven't had a chance to play it, but I think I'll really like it when I do. Maybe I'll play it once I'm done with Ghost in the Shell(PS1).

The only other games I'd be interested in playing are Bayonetta 1&2 and Okami, but it probably won't be anytime soon.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

If you look at the PlatinumGames website, they give a lot of their games cute unique genre names. MadWorld is "Bloodbath Action", Bayonetta is "∞ Climax Action", and The Wonderful 101 is "Unite Action"

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

sharrrk posted:

If you look at the PlatinumGames website, they give a lot of their games cute unique genre names. MadWorld is "Bloodbath Action", Bayonetta is "∞ Climax Action", and The Wonderful 101 is "Unite Action"

Character Action Game

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

bayonetta is loving cool i should dig out my 360 again some time

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Seshoho Cian posted:

Honestly, even though DMC3 and 4 have way better combat, I think DMC1 is my favourite game in the series, because of the stuff you mentioned.
Same. Though I've been playing DMC4 and I was surprised that it comes pretty close to that stuff in a few stages.

I need to get back into it, I got to the Snake Lady ReMix boss as Dante and couldn't figure out how to do more than piss damage. It's a pretty rough transition from Nero to Dante, like taking off the training wheels and realizing there's now four different ways to ride the bike, all of which you need to be doing at some point.

I'm kind of annoyed the game throws that at you more than halfway through, but I'm basically a scrub at these kinda games anyway, so.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
has anyone said autism yet

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Also I like to call them technical action games since it explains what they are and isn't bullshit kiddie jargon.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Seshoho Cian posted:

dmc1 combat isn't so much worse as it is way different. dmc1 is a very specifically planned out game, every enemy has a specific way you're expected to kill them and every move has a very specific use, this is the same kind of design that viewtiful joe has

dmc3/4 meanwhile are much more freeform, they just give you a million moves and some decently threatening enemies and tell you to figure that poo poo out, rear end in a top hat (although dmc4 tried to mindlessly copy a bunch of dmc1 stuff for some reason)

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I preordered it :smug:
It was only $30

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
it died because sega delayed the poo poo out of it for no reason + netcode only works if you live in japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

George posted:

Also I like to call them technical action games since it explains what they are and isn't bullshit kiddie jargon.

Technical action makes me think you're talking about ARMA.

• Locked thread