Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wonder what this means for the charity marathons that use Twitch like AGDQ/ESA. You probably couldn't speedrun Vice City without the entirety of it being muted. I'm assuming they'll leave and go to Hitbox.

This seems like an intensely boneheaded business move. I can only imagine this was an edict handed down from an executive board who haven't a clue what the main source of streaming is on Twitch. If people don't just jump ship to Hitbox, someone else will show up on the scene soon enough to replace them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I wonder what this means for the charity marathons that use Twitch like AGDQ/ESA. You probably couldn't speedrun Vice City without the entirety of it being muted. I'm assuming they'll leave and go to Hitbox.

Live stuff will be fine (for now). When they get their VODs up, they'd have to splice them up in 2 hour chunks and expect audio to be muted. It's going to be pretty lovely and I fully expect SDA/SRL to move elsewhere.

Edit: Also, adam_ak, a GTA speed runner already got hit with the muting on one of his recent streams. So yes, it's gonna be poo poo.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Oh, yeah, no, this should be fine. It's not as if your entire userbase are control freaks bent on freedom of self expression. No possible way this could backfire.

Hubris!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

maniacripper posted:

Whatever happened to the push some shithead developers were on about collecting a percentage/all streamer income because "they made the content". I hope someone stoned some of them to death and the rest backed down in fear.

I want a percentage of the sales of all the games I recommend to friends, because I created the sales.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

maniacripper posted:

Whatever happened to the push some shithead developers were on about collecting a percentage/all streamer income because "they made the content". I hope someone stoned some of them to death and the rest backed down in fear.
Nintendo wants to share ad revenue with Youtube Partners who use their game content, ie, Nintendo wants to cut in on someone making 100% of 10 cents per video so they can take 9 cents. Although Youtube doesn't really facilitate that currently. They'd have to change their system to accommodate Nintendo.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I remember we had a thread months ago when the Google buyout was just announced and a bunch of people were saying that it wouldn't be that bad and that Google will know that Twitch isn't YouTube and won't put in their restrictions.

How naive we were...can't wait to have to do everything through google plus!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Original_Z posted:

I remember we had a thread months ago when the Google buyout was just announced and a bunch of people were saying that it wouldn't be that bad and that Google will know that Twitch isn't YouTube and won't put in their restrictions.

I ranted like a crazy person against ContentID in that thread and I went a little over the top, but at least now people see how stupid a copyright scraper's AI is

I'm not even sure how E3 can continue to be Twitch's official partner if their archived videos are all muted from the licensed music that gets used in video game trailers

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

stringball posted:

This has been mentioned, but the hitbox owners are the same as own3d, who owe a good amount of people money

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/393965-destiny-own3d-paying-streamers-late-not-fulfilling-contract-promises

On the other hand, migration to hitbox means these guys should be able to pay their debts more easily now. They certainly would be more inclined to.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Here's another alternative:

http://alpha.gaminglive.tv/#/channels

Seems to be getting hammered right now

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

this is going to completely gently caress VGCW's vods for sure, right? At least the live show usually gets recorded on youtube.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mabels big day posted:

this is going to completely gently caress VGCW's vods for sure, right? At least the live show usually gets recorded on youtube.

Yep. All VODs before August 6th will be deleted over the next few weeks, and be muted through the copyright filter in the meantime! Rad!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Yep. All VODs before August 6th will be deleted over the next few weeks, and be muted through the copyright filter in the meantime! Rad!

Jesus loving christ. There is some insanely good poo poo in the vgcw vod archives that are going to be lost forever.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
August 6th the day twitch died

Original_Z posted:

Yeah I made that thread.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 7, 2014

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
I don't understand the music industry.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

maniacripper posted:

But they did make the content and deserve a cut if some asshat child broadcasts their game to earn money, OP.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

But they did make the content and deserve a cut if some asshat child broadcasts their game to earn money, OP.

That ain't me, bruh.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

pctD posted:

I don't understand the music industry.

Don't feel bad, the industry doesn't either.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
What's to stop everyone on twitch from just streaming entirely muted footage?

Explain on the page why they're doing so, raise awareness for the changes and stir enough discontent to get everyone to drop Twitch like the garbage it's becoming. Then pressure all the major esports venues that use it to stream their games to switch as well. Google thought they were purchasing something they could turn into Youtube 2.0, ruin their ability to control one more chunk of the internet.

Katana Gomai posted:

The counter argument to which is "Give me a cut of all game sales I generate for you, asshat developer". Which is exactly what the Yogscast are planning on doing.

People who aren't idiots realize it's mutually beneficial and neither party should be paying either one.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Pirate Jet posted:

That ain't me, bruh.

", OP" does not always mean the actual OP in these Something Awful forums, OP.

Jesto posted:

The counter argument to which is "Give me a cut of all game sales I generate for you, asshat developer". Which is exactly what the Yogscast are planning on doing.

People who aren't idiots realize it's mutually beneficial and neither party should be paying either one.

The developers don't ask lovely LP nerds to broadcast their games*, why should they pay for the advertising? If I tell my friends a game is great and they buy it, does Nintendo give me a cut? Devs should see a portion of the ad revenue because the "content" being sold by streamers relies heavily, if not exclusively, on their product being shown. Radio stations have to pay for the music they play, too.

*Obviously some devs pay for viral marketing through LPs, that's a business relationship and should be treated as such.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This really sucks because Twitch is great background noise, I'd hate to have check two sites to see if someone I like watching is streaming. If there's a great purge of Twitch I'll be pissed. gently caress.

Jackster
Nov 10, 2012
welp, time to start streaming at niconico.

I'm also one of the 16% people who are affected by the vod change, so I'm pretty sad about that one. But asking twitch to store infinite amount of past broadcasts might be a bit too much

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

Copyright law is too outdated to be flexible and adaptable to situations like this. For example, if Rockstar places a copyright claim on GTAV footage on Youtube, they alone would collect ad money from that game footage. But that money isn't just theirs. Every musician whose song plays over the in-car radio in the game is an additional public performance. Is Rockstar going to pay according to their needledrop license with ASCAP? They're supposed to. But they won't. Why is it okay for them to be above copyright law?

e: It should also be mentioned that many indie companies provide written permission to broadcasters to monetize videos of their game content. And I believe some larger publishers like Capcom do as well, although I haven't checked lately

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 7, 2014

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Why is it okay for them to be above copyright law?

Where did I say it was? And how do you know they wouldn't (or that ASCAP wouldn't pursue it)? Hell, maybe their licensing contacts already include a clause for such use.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

e: It should also be mentioned that many indie companies provide written permission to broadcasters to monetize videos of their game content. And I believe some larger publishers like Capcom do as well, although I haven't checked lately

Speaking of...

I'm pretty interested in seeing if this goes anywhere.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
No 'professional' streamers will move to hitbox thanks to the owned scam. These people are living off of the community they built and so long as the live broadcasting portion remains functional, there is no reason for them to risk their livelihood.

VODs will get removed and poo poo on via dumb copyright AI and that sucks but twitch as a whole will be fine. Here's lethalfrag's opinion on it. He points out that he's there to be a live entertainer primarily and the changes don't really disturb that. That said should anyone decide to start up a serious competitor website, now would be the time to do it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Valve had their Dota 2 International streams muted, for having music from Dota 2 in them.

They fixed it, but its a nice sign of the direction of these sorts of things.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I've not seen an argument against people moving that didn't come down to money. What about the people who don't care about making money and just stream for fun? What proportion of the userbase is that, and what'll happen if they decide to move?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I've not seen an argument against people moving that didn't come down to money. What about the people who don't care about making money and just stream for fun?
You can still live broadcast copyright protected music. So I don't see how they get affected unless they want the recorded VODs available on twitch. What I think will get hit hard though, are the speedrunning people. I guess they have to record all their runs and upload them elsewhere which is dumb.

e: another thing to note is that even if another successful broadcasting site existed, eventually the copyright people would do the same thing to it. everybody wants their slice of the pie.

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 7, 2014

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I didn't know about hitbox or that it doesn't have the awful twitch delay. Sounds better for the 99% of people who stream for fun/friends.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Here's a nice post from ArsTechnica's Ron Amadeo talking about how he's not convinced that Google is even driving this set of decisions.

quote:

Been paying attention to Twitch news the last few days?

Yesterday, Justin.tv, (http://www.justin.tv/) the parent company of Twitch and general-purpose streaming site, was shut down. Everyone's accounts are being deleted, all the saved videos are being erased.

Today, Twitch announces past broadcasts can no longer be saved forever. They will now be deleted after 14 days for normal accounts and 60 days for subscribers. In three weeks all past broadcasts older than 60 days will be erased. http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/08/update-changes-to-vods-on-twitch/

Highlights can be saved indefinitely, but they are now limited to 2 hours in length. (Many existing highlights on Twitch are way longer than 2 hours.).

What is up with this mass deletion of content and all these sudden limitations? I don't see how this would be a result of a Google acquisition. All three of these moves seem designed to cut costs and save on storage space, two ideas that are completely foreign to Google. Why would a company that was about to get a billion dollar cash injection and unlimited resources start wiping all this data and limiting archiving? Google loves data and wants to keep everything around forever. Just look at things like G+ Auto Upload and Gmail.

It's not copyright-related because deleting content older than a certain arbitrary date doesn't do anything to fix copyright violations. Twitch still has live video and 60-day old video, and if you're going to call streaming a video game copyright infringement, all of that is still infringing. There's nothing about a video being old that makes copyright infringement more or less bad.

There is also no need to "clean up" Twitch before an acquisition. If Google bought a site that was full of infringing content it would just have a bunch of DMCA takedown notices to process (on top of the million it normally processes a day, that's no big deal). The DMCA protects sites that make an effort to remove content. That's why YouTube exists today.

Also today, Twitch announced it would automatically scan videos for copyrighted music and mute them. This includes game music. They've already muted videos of Pokemon for containing Pokemon music and Punch Out for the NES because it contained music from Punch Out. Yes, a video game site banned video game music. Keep in mind these videos still infringe copyright. There is nothing magical about audio; images from a game are also copyrighted and Twitch has left the video up, which means they are still violating copyright. That Mario sprite is ©Nintendo and if the audio isn't covered under fair use, the video isn't either.

I don't see a company prepping for a Google takeover, I see panic. Panic and a lack of understanding of what it should be doing. I think Google would want to keep all the old data instead of deleting it and enforce the DMCA on existing videos by processing takedown requests as they come in, which is all the law requires.

Why is Twitch doing this? Who the hell thinks any of this is a good idea? I think if Google was behind these changes you would see a much more organised and experienced transition. Part of me thinks the Google deal fell through or something and this is Twitch's attempt to tighten down costs and try to stand on its own.

It's just weird that all of a sudden there are all these changes over at Twitch and all of them seem to be misguided, harmful to the service, and don't really solve any of Twitch's problems.

I see three instances of cutting storage costs and one ham-fisted misapplication of copyright enforcement, none of which smell like Google to me. Thoughts?

After reading this, his theory makes a lot of sense to me - the changes don't actually do anything to make Twitch better, and we know Twitch's management is less than stellar.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

Where did I say it was? And how do you know they wouldn't (or that ASCAP wouldn't pursue it)? Hell, maybe their licensing contacts already include a clause for such use.
I can't physically prove that they don't pay royalties on the music in a copyright-claimed Totalbiscuit video, no. But new types of media, historically, are ripe for loophole exploitation or lack of precedent. The Writers Strike in 2007 was from companies not paying out royalties for streaming and on-demand video, when they were just becoming a big thing. If there's a loophole or they think they won't get caught, they'll try to pull it off.

Ruminate on this smelly garbage: companies claim copyrighted content that isn't theirs on Youtube. NASA's own videos were claimed and deleted by Youtube because a TV station claimed copyright. There's public domain music that gets claimed by production music libraries because they have a similar but not identical performance in their catalog, such as classical music (there have even been reports of Youtube's own Production Music Library getting copyright claimed by other companies). Companies just kind of do what they want. Consider the Happy Birthday song, which Warner has been collecting royalties on for decades, illegally.

I think that this system doesn't benefit game companies for other reasons as well. Maybe you feel that Let's Plays are not legitimate advertising, but the company's own trailers certainly are, and there will be a lot of trailers during Gamescom soon, but if any publication on Twitch broadcasts those trailers, the archive broadcasts could full of muted audio. Imagine a company giving a keynote conference at Gamescom and the whole thing's silent. And if the scraper were to get confused and think that the music in a Sunset Overdrive trailer sounds too much like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, even the company's own Twitch archive could get muted, and it's much trickier to resolve.

If it's resolved anything like Youtube, you submit a dispute that is then approved or rejected by the company making the claim, rather than an arbitrator. These companies don't actually look at the video in dispute, they just say "oh that song's in the video? Yeah that's ours. REJECTED" which is what happened to the bird chirping video I mentioned earlier. But that's not even the killer, it's the time lost. That video could be muted for days to weeks while the dispute is ongoing. So you lose that ad money but you're also losing out on your advertising opportunity.

I think it would be beneficial to everyone to at least meet in the middle. But a lot of companies already understand the benefit of Twitch and LPs. Awesomenauts, Don't Starve, Dungeons of Dredmor, Orcs Must Die, Killing Floor, Tower of Guns, Legends of Grimrock, Magicka, Terraria, Team Fortress 2, Trine; these are just some of the games that grant permission to monetize videos of their content. If it was all developers/publishers on one side and all broadcasters on the other, that would be one thing, but you've got developers on both sides right now.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 7, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'm not terribly sure why audio content creators go after livestreamers in the first place -- isn't it essentially free advertising? Is it that there's a possibility that they can lose their copyright if for some reason they willingly choose not to enforce it? Is it some legal departments trying to pad their stats? Does anyone have insight?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm not terribly sure why audio content creators go after livestreamers in the first place -- isn't it essentially free advertising? Is it that there's a possibility that they can lose their copyright if for some reason they willingly choose not to enforce it? Is it some legal departments trying to pad their stats? Does anyone have insight?
Copyright enforcement is big business. Nevermind if a creator gives permission, there's money in them thar lawsuit mines.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You can lose your trademark if you don't defend it, but that's kinda different.

Copyright law was created to promote the cultivation of new ideas, but copyright law as it is used now is mostly about control. Control over how consumers use and access content. I don't think it's about lost sales.

There may be a couple of developers who feel that Twitch and LPs show the entire story of their game to consumers, thus no longer giving them an incentive to play the game, but the reality is, we are trending towards a future of multiplayer-only games, if we're not already there. Certainly MP-focused. And also people do play games for the gameplay too, or else every game would be Gone Home instead of it being the ugly duckling in the pond.

But you said audio copyright holders, and I dunno. It's possible that Twitch just added ContentID because Google forced it on them, simply because That's How We Do It Here at Google. It may not have even been because of pressure placed on Twitch from record labels/RIAA (although Youtube's ContentID -was- because of pressure placed on them from MPAA). They would be right, that a public performance of their audio is infringement. But Twitch is muting human singing and developer audio too, so. I dunno, the RIAA may not be behind it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 7, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

1. I would be much happier if twitch wouldn't be run by a bunch of prepubertary furries.

2. That being said, I hope that googles buys twitch, so that it either gets completely worthless or actually becomes better in terms of quality, speed and video implemention.

That being said, hitbox seems to be pretty promising so far.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

stringball posted:

This has been mentioned, but the hitbox owners are the same as own3d, who owe a good amount of people money

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/393965-destiny-own3d-paying-streamers-late-not-fulfilling-contract-promises

I thought I read that the hitbox owners are from own3d but weren't the guys in charge when the scam happened?

I do hope an alternative to Twitch springs up, it's not like this is even close to the first grievance people have had with that site.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Katana Gomai posted:

Should I pay Spalding every time my high school basketball team makes money because they allowed me to use thier ball?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Honestly streamers need to take note from Destiny and just stop caring about ad revenue . What he did was genius and ahead of the curve. He moved his whole subscriber base to a personal website (Destiny.gg) and just uses twitch embedded, he can now basically move to anywhere he wants without losing any subs

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

most games have a slider / option to turn off ingame music, while leaving SFX on. depends on the game, but you could do that and play royalty free music in the background instead (which would even help lesser known musicians build their audiences).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Das Butterbrot posted:

most games have a slider / option to turn off ingame music, while leaving SFX on. depends on the game, but you could do that and play royalty free music in the background instead (which would even help lesser known musicians build their audiences).

this probably isn't even going to work either, apparently it's flagging DannyB's soundtrack in Crypt of the Necrodancer

AHH FUGH posted:

Here's another alternative:

http://alpha.gaminglive.tv/#/channels

Seems to be getting hammered right now

This is apparently ran by the guy who ran Ministry of Win house in Poland WHO ALSO OWES PEOPLE MONEY :negative:

Edit: http://blog.destiny.gg/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Lose-Yourself.mp3

Photex fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 7, 2014

• Locked thread