Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002
It's funny because prior to twitch I hadn't bought music in years, and because of twitch I've actually purchased certain things by the music industry. Nevermind the ridiculously effective free marketing game companies get through twitch streams.

Pirate Jet posted:

- Justin.tv is dead. Justin.tv, the parent company of Twitch, officially rebranded itself as Twitch on February 10th, as Twitch massively overtook Justin.tv in popularity. The next natural step followed last night, as Justin.tv announced it was shutting down after seven years of service. Let's not forget that Twitch gets very irate when you stream stuff that isn't related to video games, and with the removal of Justin.tv, there's no place for people to do that within Justin/Twitch's company ecosystem anymore.
Twitch gets very irate over lots of things. A very popular streamer lost her sub button because she was reading "offensive" donation messages on a stream flagged mature. They also are really hardcore about what percentage of the stream is you playing games and what percentage of the stream is you talking about things. They're pretty lenient toward some streamers, but if you are at all controversial some of the people at twitch are looking for any excuse to be dicks.

They seem to acknowledge that people enjoy watching specific streamers, but at the same time they often try to regulate the site like people are there to watch a game and who is broadcasting doesn't matter.

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm really confused, I can find at least ten sites to sell my naked body on but there's only one site to sell my clothed body playing games on? That is hosed up, anyone have any ideas?
Hitbox exists and is better than twitch for streaming to friends. It only has a few seconds of delay while twitch's minimum is fairly huge. I've used them ever since twitch changed to the massive default delay years ago now.

If you want to make money streaming, welp. Hitbox is owned by the own3d guys, but ad revenue is poo poo on twitch and just as poo poo anywhere else. The only reason own3d owes so much is because they tried to offer big cash money for people to stream there, and it didn't work out on the fiscal side of things. Azubu didn't work out for the people forced to stream there. They lost almost all of their viewers. But the azubu site really sucks and hitbox's site is fairly usable in comparison.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Det_no posted:

They just handled things in the most retarded way possible, really. They could very well have said "Ok guys, in one month we are going to implement this and this and that. Please backup whatever you want to keep (OR "well let you keep X amount of videos") and consider that from this particular date onwards we will check VOD audio content"

And that's loving it. People would have complained as well but at least it wouldn't have caused a shitstorm. I wonder if whoever was thinking of purchasing Twitch banged his head at how they handled things.
There would still be a backlash because there's no legal reason for them to be doing this. Twitch is already compliant with the DMCA and is not liable for anything contained in the user videos provided they remove them as takedown requests come. Which they do, but there's really not many takedown requests at all because no one gives a poo poo about twitch vods except the twitch community.

They're implementing this for future business reasons but not for legal ones. Which doesn't make sense to me unless they expect the game industry to start filing claims on Twitch content and for them to share revenue with the game industry. Which sounds somewhat unlikely, and even giving them a vehicle to do that when twitch is the best free marketing they have seems sketchy to me.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 10, 2014

• Locked thread