Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Planet's gotta have people on it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Werix posted:

To be fair, once I get off my rear end and make up some rituals, my alignment won't be too bad of an issue. I want to write a lot of the rituals as "slaanesh gets half benefit, undivided, nurgle, and Tzeentch get full, Khorne get like 1.5 or 2 times" or something.

Also the ritual for me making my Blood Forged weapons will be essentially, 1. Summon bloodletter. 2. Partially bind him into weapon. 3. While partially bind him into weapon have the weapon's future weilder kill the bloodletter (:black101:). 4. Daemon is banished, but lived in the weapon long enough to give it the Rune weapon properties from ToB (Tainted and tearing weapon qualities, Immune to power fields, and loose primitive quality), but not long enough for the weapon to risk being destroyed. Since it won't matter to the ultimate wielder what daemon was used to make the rune weapon, you all will be killing the poo poo out of bloodletters when I eventually bling out everyone's kit as Blood Forged Weapons.

Though we're going to need a LOT of people to bleed dry. I mean a lot.

Look, I'm just going to see how many nurglings I can get to dance on the pin of a grenade

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
all this is really, really taking the long road home.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Something something stop to kill the flowers along the way.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay, so since I spent two hours in the car today for work, I had a lot of time to think, so here are my ideas for some Gozer style rituals:

New Ritual Type: Runes.
Since the beginning of time man has adorned his weapons, armor, and sometimes himself with mystical runes to either defend against the evil gods of their enemies, or to curry favor with their gods. Also, since the beginning of time, the Chaos Gods have been among those.

A rune is a series of daemonic words and phrases drawn onto a weapon or armor. For followers of Khorne, these runes are usually drawn in blood, fresh blood. Each weapon or armor can only have one Rune on it at a time. Runes lay Dormant until they are activated. Some can be activated at will, while others either need a condition before they can be triggered, or trigger automatically when the prerequisite is met. Once a rune is triggered, it's duration plays through, and then the rune gets used up; allowing another rune to be added later.

Those who worship the opposing God may never benefit from a Rune. That said, only an a heretic dedicated to the God, or Chaos Undivided, may actually create the runes.

The runes can be made either by using the ritual to directly harness warp energies, or to indirectly harness the power through a daemon. The former is easier than the later, and as such, using Forbidden Lore (Warp) has a lesser TN penalty than Forbidden Lore (Daemonology).

There is no price of failure for failing the test. However, the test should be done by the GM in secret. If the test fails, the GM should keep that secret, and the failure will only be known when the user tries to trigger it. Failure means that the rune has no effect. This is not known until the rune is triggered.

Weapon Runes

Rune of Slaughter:
Description: The most basic of Khorne's runes, this particular rune imbues a weapon, either melee or ranged, with the thirst for battle of Khorne, making the weapon even more deadly.
Requirements: A ritual with taking at least eight minutes. A FL (warp) test at +10 or FL (daemonology) test at -10.
Cost: Fresh blood (less than 24 hours old) from a sentient humanoid
Effects:This Rune can be triggered as a free action. The weapon gains the Tearing quality for the duration listed below.
Duration: 1d5+x rounds
x=
Allied- Infamy Bonus
True- 2x infamy bonus

Rune of Victory
Description: Nothing pleases Khorne more than when those who follow him (or at least spill blood) succeed in Combat. The just reward for such a victory is continued victory.
Requirements: A ritual taking at least eight minutes. A Fl (warp) test at a -10 or FL (Daemonology) test at -30
Cost: Fresh blood (less than 24 hours) from an enemy personally killed by the weapon's wielder.
Effects: This rune automatically triggers when the weapon's wielder kills an opponent in battle. The next successful attack does X bonus damage, where X is:
Allied: Infamy Bonus
True: twice Infamy Bonus
Duration: Immediate.

Rune of Destruction:
Description: Khorne revels in the destruction of the battlefield. Nothing turns an opponent into a victim more quickly than the weapon of the enemy being destroyed.
Requirements: A ritual taking at least eight minutes. A FL (warp) test at -10 or FL (Daemonology) test at -30.
Cost: One sacrificial victim. They must be bled and their blood used to trace the rune on the weapon, and then the weapon must be used.
Effects:May be triggered any time for a free action. On a melee weapon, the weapon gains the Power Field special quality for the duration below. If it already has the power field quality, then the weapon has 100% chance to destroy a non-power field weapon.

If a ranged weapon, then the weapon gains the Maximal special quality for the duration.
Duration: 1d5+X rounds.
X=
Allied - Half Infamy Bonus, rounded up
True - Infamy Bonus

Armor Runes

Rune of Rage:While Blood Priests like Gozer may say one can worship Khorne without being a mindless berserker, most worshipers of Gozer would disagree, and this Rune aids in that view.
Requirements: A ritual of at least eight minutes. A FL (warp) test at -10, or FL (Daemonology) at -30
Cost: The blood of eight sentient victims.
Effects: The rune can be activated as a free action. The wearer of the armor automatically enters into a rage as if they have the Frenzy talent for the remainder of the battle. If the have Frenzy, then they gain the battle Rage Talent until the end of combat. If the wearer has both talents, no additional benefits are gained.
Duration:Remainder of combat.

Rune of Contempt: Khorne is a God of never ending range, specifically against psykers. This powerful rune focuses that rage into an Aegis of Spite, protecting the wielder from psychic attacks.
Requirements: A ritual lasting at least eight minutes. A FL (warp) test at -30 or FL (daemonology) test at -50
Cost: The fresh blood (less than 24 hours) of a psyker of at least Psy rating 2.
Effects: This rune automatically triggers when the wearer is the target of a psychic attack. That attack is nullified. The armor will nullify a number of attacks equal to X.
x=
allied- Half IB
True- Infamy Bonus
Duration: instantaneous.

Rune of Might: Khorne is a god that favors strength above all, and will lend that strength out to his worshipers in exchange for blood.
Requirements: A ritual lasting at least eight minutes. A FL (warp) test at -20 or Fl (daemonology) test at -40
Cost: The fresh Blood (less than 24 hours) of two people killed by the armor's wearer.
Effects: This rune can be activated as a free action. For the duration, the wearer gets the benefits of the Unnatural toughness trait equal to the highest strength bonus of those whose blood was used to make the rune. If they have the Unnatural strength bonus, it is instead increased by the Strength Bonus.
Duration: 1d5+X
X=
True - Infamy Bonus

That's all for now. Look them over in judgment Frajaq. I'll actually post the blood forging stuff once we get more up and running.

Werix fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 3, 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I think it looks fine, obviously in-game testing would be necessary to see if it doesn't end too broken.

But imo Khorne runes shouldn't work with Opposed at all, which should be just Slaneesh people for my game.

The duration on the Runes of Might and Destruction should be:
Duration: X
X=
True - Infamy Bonus

frajaq fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 3, 2014

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

frajaq posted:

I think it looks fine, obviously in-game testing would be necessary to see if it doesn't end too broken.

But imo Khorne runes shouldn't work with Opposed at all, which should be just Slaneesh people for my game.

The duration on the Runes of Might and Destruction should be:
Duration: X
X=
True - Infamy Bonus

Those are fair points both, fixed them above.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Just a quick reminder, if you aren't saving your XP for something else now would be a good time to spend it. Everybody should have an extra 250xp from beating the Rust Wave crew earlier.

Also it sounds like there is some other place worth visiting on this planet, and that they might not be so hot on the Scavenger Lord. Once we finish up here that might be a place of interest.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 3, 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So Plaga Ambush Crew:

Ariston
Victus
Zegasi
Bazroth
Opifex
Lucius
22 Magnitude Horde

Salvage Techpriests:

Gozer
Erika the Red
Vatra (?)

frajaq fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 4, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I can think of one possible way that Victus could stealth himself in anticipation of an ambush...gather up a pile of corpses then hide in it. Look, you work with what you've got, okay?

For this particular fight my thinking is that if we can establish some halfway decent cover on our side that we can take the opportunity to lay down some fire against Plaga and his pals at range rather than just charging right into melee with the super-tough, disease-ridden guys. I get that we're trying to be all conservative but I'm okay spending some bolter rounds on this because what the hell, you only live once.

I'm also fine using one of those spiffy rad grenades we found as a booby trap if applicable.

LuiCypher has suggested that either Victus or one of the Astartes could make use of the drug I found. Does anybody have a particular hankering for some chemically-enhanced mayhem? I'm amenable to sharing it if someone feels like they can get the most out of it, or I can always use it myself once things get up close and personal.

edit; actually wait, does Barrage stack? Like, if an Astartes takes it do they gain +5 to Unnatural Strength and Toughness or does the drug only grant those as flat bonuses, so those who already have Unnatural Strength/Toughness gain less benefit? Because if it's the latter then clearly Victus is the one who'll get the most use out of it.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 4, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I think LuiCypher wanted the drug.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Barrage does stack with space marine bonuses, yes

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I will take it, but I think it might be used on someone better. The fact that with me it will only last three rounds and then leave me utterly butt-hosed is pretty bad (since in reality, if I don't want to get my rear end handed to me I'll only have two good rounds).

I say it should probably go to a Space Marine.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I currently have a TB of 9, can raise it to 10 by frenzying, and would have 15 with the drug. The question is, does Lucius care to take it...

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gonna try to big update tomorrow, hopefully Werix will be able to post by then since he was busy with RL stuff

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also Waci too (dunno if he's busy or not, just wanna make sure he's cool with things before we head into plan Fight Big Dumb Disease Jerks, especially considering he was one of its biggest proponents).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Can't believe I'm about to suggest this (because I will be dealing literally 0 damage to him no matter what), but do you want me to pop out and melee Plaga just to silence his bolter for about the 2-3 rounds it will take for him to silence me?

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Also wondering if I should
A) try suppressive fire again to -guarantee- a pinning test
B) shoot the horde to -maybe- thin it some OR
C) Charge one of the ogryns, to take advantage of their running.

I'm thinking about C, personally, but I'm open to suggestions.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Charge the ogryn and charge the marine. The hordes can keep eachother busy.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Nah man just keep trying to suppress poo poo I'm pretty sure is actually immune to being pinned rather than using that big crosius of yours.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Remember the initiative order! So I'll wait for LuiCypher and Waci to post their actions before mini updating

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
You can assume I do the only thing I can do and you know, stand up and put away the now useless multi-melta.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

There's always assuming fetal position on the ground and sucking your thumb, cursing your horrible luck and bad decision

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Haven't looked at the combat yet, but don't worry Erika and Gozer can lead all your replacements when you scrubs all bite it.

Seriously though just raise the ramp and gtfo. Cut losses and such.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Actually, YES! Raise the ramp to gently caress the ogryns and the horde, then lower it again and go kill Plaga.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Waci posted:

Actually, YES! Raise the ramp to gently caress the ogryns and the horde, then lower it again and go kill Plaga.

Where and how can we do this in the one round we have or so before they run across it? I'm not saying this is a bad idea, just that we might not be able to.

Can Zegasi telekinesis it? Because that would be pretty great.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I have no idea please don't take everything I say seriously and literally.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Waci posted:

I have no idea please don't take everything I say seriously and literally.

Well at this point it's not like we have any better ideas :v:

For real though, we might as well compound bad ideas with more bad ideas. Let's have the sorcerer push some big ol' TK and try to toss everyone overboard, that'll show'em we mean business.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
You're bad at ideas, your attempt at bad idea resulted in a good one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
All of my ideas are good until the dice intervene. Thus is Black Crusade.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Team Success is going to have to carry the day here.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

You're all beginning to make me think that I should just keep playing dead.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

You're all beginning to make me think that I should just keep playing dead.

I would suggest getting into combat and using Disarm on Plaga.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Or just engaging him in melee to stop him from using his heavy bolter. You know, that piece of actually pretty mediocre gear that you all are so afraid of.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well I'm not afraid of it but that's because he's been using it to shoot at you.

I'm also not afraid of melee'ing it up with Plaga but I'm also not a normal human down to 5 wounds so I may be biased. That said LuiCypher, imagine the glory! Follow your dream.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I can rush him as I should have enough movement to do that but I'd have to deal with the mess of ogryn/horde, so that's somewhat worrisome. Alternately I could fiddle with the gate controls - are they nearby, and if so do I need to make any sort of test to use them?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The boarding ramp goes up but right now it has too much weight above it, with the horde and the 2 fat ogryns in it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

There's one option down. Then just to be sure, am I sufficiently close to engage Plaga this turn with my 42m run speed? Obviously I'd be eating attacks from the horde and an ogryn.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Do remember: once someone closes with Plaga in melee, everyone takes a negative to shoot into melee unless they have the Target Selection talent, and have a change to hit an ally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

NGDBSS posted:

There's one option down. Then just to be sure, am I sufficiently close to engage Plaga this turn with my 42m run speed? Obviously I'd be eating attacks from the horde and an ogryn.

With 42m Run Speed you can end up 10m away from Plaga, eating an Opportunity attack at +20 WS from the Plague Ogryn and the Horde

• Locked thread