Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Mummy Market (it had a different name in the US, I think) was a kids' movie about two kids who don't like their mum so they go to the mummy market and trade her for a new one. And then they don't like the new one so they trade her and so on, eventually learning a valuable lesson or something. I watched it all the time as a kid, but it had a very limited VHS run and was never released on DVD, as far as I can tell. Every few years I try to track down a copy but I never can seem to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jet Jaguar posted:

Midwinter's Tale -- a Kenneth Branagh production about a bunch of dysfunctional actors attempting to stage Hamlet in a castle in the middle of nowhere. There's some funky "we'll burn a DVR of it if you order one" option on Amazon, but that seems sketchy at best.

That's been mentioned a few times now, I think even Angus from the 90s is the same way when I recall someone else wanting a copy of it.

I admit, it's a way to have a physical copy of the films, I get the nature of the service is allowing for fans to get a 'legit copy' of the movie, but at the same time just feels tacky and cheap and in a way almost inauthentic given the price they're asking for.

All the ones I've noticed seem to be WB Archive release. I don't know if other studios just figure its easier to give something an actual printing and just shove an obscure film in a moderately-priced bundle with a bunch of other films, sort of like when you see those multipacks of movies that feature 1-2 big films and a few odd titles thrown in to fill out the set.

MissEchelon posted:

Mummy Market (it had a different name in the US, I think) was a kids' movie about two kids who don't like their mum so they go to the mummy market and trade her for a new one. And then they don't like the new one so they trade her and so on, eventually learning a valuable lesson or something. I watched it all the time as a kid, but it had a very limited VHS run and was never released on DVD, as far as I can tell. Every few years I try to track down a copy but I never can seem to.

I think in the US this might have been called Trading Mom. If it's the one I was thinking of it had Andre the Giant in it and Siskel and Ebert loving LOATHED it with a passion.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 07:41 on Aug 12, 2014

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
That'd be it. It had Sissy Spacek as all the moms and I remember hating the circus mom the youngest picked out. Anyway, there was a movie from the early 90s called Edge of Honor starring Cory Feldman and Patrick Swayze's brother Don. It was about a scout troop that finds rocket launchers and other weapons stashed in the PNW and Don Swayze has to get them back killing the Troop leaders in the process. The boys and the smugglers duke it out with the boys using their scout knowledge. It was cheesy as hell but I'd still like to see it again for old time sake. Last I looked nobody has bothered to put it on DVD.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

JediTalentAgent posted:

That's been mentioned a few times now, I think even Angus from the 90s is the same way when I recall someone else wanting a copy of it.

I admit, it's a way to have a physical copy of the films, I get the nature of the service is allowing for fans to get a 'legit copy' of the movie, but at the same time just feels tacky and cheap and in a way almost inauthentic given the price they're asking for.

All the ones I've noticed seem to be WB Archive release. I don't know if other studios just figure its easier to give something an actual printing and just shove an obscure film in a moderately-priced bundle with a bunch of other films, sort of like when you see those multipacks of movies that feature 1-2 big films and a few odd titles thrown in to fill out the set.

I think in the US this might have been called Trading Mom. If it's the one I was thinking of it had Andre the Giant in it and Siskel and Ebert loving LOATHED it with a passion.

I remember seeing trailers on tv for the mom trading movie, when i was younger, what 17ish years ago?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Another not on DVD, maybe: Josh and S.A.M.

I seem to remember it similarly reviewed poorly at the time it came out in the early 90s but still got a VHS release and is available on a few streaming services, but no DVD release.

While their parents are getting a divorce, two kids run away with a car. I seem to think Ebert and others similarly criticized it due to it putting kids into dangerous situations and treating it like fun.

It's sort of interesting to think about that there was sort of a trend in the mid 80s-early 90s of kid-aimed/kid-starring films that were sort of all about putting kids into more mature, dangerous or adult situations. It looks like some movies in that mold that even did get DVD releases are maybe now out of prin, at least based on their Amazon price listings:

Explorers with kids in danger and being sort of foul-mouthed, Milk Money where some kids save up to hire a hooker. DARYL, about a robot kid programmed to be a killer. All have DVD releases, mind you, but their prices seem so high right now on Amazon that it makes me think they are out of print and/or rare.

Goonies, thank God, is still out there, though, at an affordable price...

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

B.H. Facials posted:

That'd be it. It had Sissy Spacek as all the moms and I remember hating the circus mom the youngest picked out. Anyway, there was a movie from the early 90s called Edge of Honor starring Cory Feldman and Patrick Swayze's brother Don. It was about a scout troop that finds rocket launchers and other weapons stashed in the PNW and Don Swayze has to get them back killing the Troop leaders in the process. The boys and the smugglers duke it out with the boys using their scout knowledge. It was cheesy as hell but I'd still like to see it again for old time sake. Last I looked nobody has bothered to put it on DVD.

Apparently someone did, but nevertheless it's not in great supply.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Nukie http://www.somethingawful.com/movie-reviews/nukie/1/
It's only available on DVD in Southern Africa so my only options are the VHS and a brand new copy of the Laser Disc version. I'd frame it on my wall like a gold LP if I could.

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBhvBN3lmWg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dreamstone#Home_media_releases_and_worldwide_airings
Only series 1, and a handful of episodes from series 2 and 3, ever got released. :saddowns:
Although there's a bunch of VHS recordings someone made of the original broadcasts, that they've uploaded to youtube.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
To my knowledge, Whose Line Is It Anyway? only ever got very limited DVD releases. You can buy the first two seasons of the UK version, and the first season and a 'best of' collection of the US version. You can't get anything else, which is a bit of a strange situation because there's no real reason why. It just didn't happen.

There was also a really popular music quiz show here in Australia, Spicks and Specks (imagine Never Mind the Buzzcocks, only a little more orderly) that ran from 2005 to 2011, not including a failed revival this year. Near as anyone can tell, you can't get it on DVD only because DVD publications weren't in the contracts for the guests. There's an episode on like every night, so it's not too bad a loss, but you'll never be able to reliably catch things like esoteric genre bands playing Karma Chameleon.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Not so much a movie, and primitive by today's CGI standards, but The Mind's Eye has a special place in my heart. It's a series of shorts set to music, and at the time was a showcase of what could be done with CGI. As far as I can tell, it was never released on DVD, probably because it'd have a very small and nostalgia-based market, but I still kind of wish I could get a copy.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hearing Mind's Eye reminded me of The Wizard of Speed and Time: It had a VHS/LD release, but according to wiki there's never been an 'official' DVD. However, the filmmaker, according to wiki, has allowed people to file share the movie online for burning to a DVD without any comment.

Video store in our town used to play that all the time on their TVs, for some reason.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

KillerEggplant posted:

Not so much a movie, and primitive by today's CGI standards, but The Mind's Eye has a special place in my heart. It's a series of shorts set to music, and at the time was a showcase of what could be done with CGI. As far as I can tell, it was never released on DVD, probably because it'd have a very small and nostalgia-based market, but I still kind of wish I could get a copy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind%27s_Eye_%28series%29

I still have my DVDs.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I really wish they would release the us version of touching evil. I loved that show and it's cast is great, including 2 academy award nominees. (Vera Farmiga and Bradley Cooper)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I rented the VHS of High Strung countless times as a kid. I havent seen it since I was probably like 13 so I dont know if it holds up but I thuoght it was the funniest movie ever. I also distinctly remember that one of the previews before the feature had a trailer with boobs in it .

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp
I would love to watch TRAXX on DVD if it's ever given a release.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nHwvpKc30ds

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

GAPO posted:

Word.

I nominate A Book of Heroes, a really loving stupid/kickin' rad HK action comedy that only ever showed up (officially) on laserdisc and VHS. And I'm not actually so sure how many of the VHS versions are official. Obviously anything with Yukari Oshima going full Golden Harvest needs to be revived in as high a quality as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GAPO posted:

Bizarrely, someone has just released a new version of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbsTPP7bfEU

Given that the original was monumentally badly-edited (I think the editor purposely sabotaged it), this version can;t be worse.

• Locked thread