Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I have to admit, I kinda miss having a monitor with a nice solid glass screen instead of this flimsy gel crap that LCDs have (though I do like the trippy effect you get when you run your finger over those)

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiperSnifel
Jul 13, 2007

Pull the handle, let it go, now you know you're ready to roll.
In the voice of a Kumite style fight arena announcer:
BEGIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L78yVFeyvRo

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I had to tweak the poo poo out of onboard display settings, load a color profile for the monitor, and tweak windows gamma/color. It looks okay now but out of the box its 100% brightness and looks grey (also will set your eyes on fire).

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Pretty much I mess with the settings until the sRGB standard looks normal, then adjust the brightness so it doesn't strain my eyes.

hmm yase i see

Resolution: 1920x1080
Description:
Note: monitors for this resolution are uncommon; the resolution may not match the native resolution of your monitor.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

GreaseMonkey posted:

The positron beam emitted by the cathode ray tube resonates at the harmonic frequency of the human soul, making gaming a more pleasurable experience. Also CGA is far superior to VGA.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

LaTex Fetish posted:

*click the degauss button*

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

how the gently caress old is your LCD that it has burn in issues?

About 8 years

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

how the gently caress old is your LCD that it has burn in issues?

i have a 10 year old lcd

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I still have a trinitron with the front door intact.

Considering there are still companies that make Audio cassettes with obsessive R&D to get that same quality, CRTs will never go out of style. Someone will seek out the sony people and study their high quality winding techniques for the interior.

26 inch CRTs are around 15 dollars at Goodwill, I wish I had room for a few more.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Ristolaz posted:

About 8 years

Okay, that would probably do it

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
right now there are legitimate reasons to use a crt over an lcd.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Nihnoz posted:

right now there are legitimate reasons to use a crt over an lcd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl2IJql7-CU

RoboJiggolo
Aug 16, 2004

More Than Meets the Eye

LaTex Fetish posted:

At my work we have an old PC that still has it's matching CRT, and whenever I go to make a label (it's hooked up to a huge label printer) I degauss it.
Really takes me back.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I don't think any modern desks are made to take the weight

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Carecat posted:

I don't think any modern desks are made to take the weight

i use a folding picnic table with steel legs as a desk. welcome to the new gaming meta

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
My family had a 21" CRT 6 years ago and I couldn't even get anyone to take the thing away for free. I managed to dump it on a friend when his monitor broke and he couldn't afford a new one.

Thing is probably worth a few hundred nowadays to some nerd

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I have two Dell u2412HMs and they are choice

I also have an ancient Sony Trinitron that i can't bring myself to throw out

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

my old crt had a proud "low radiation!" logo on the front of it

surc
Aug 17, 2004

LaTex Fetish posted:

My co-worker was having some weird monitor flicker/wobble near the edge of her screen a couple days ago and I was all "Oh, lets go into the settings and degauss it" because there was no specific degauss button which was odd, and then I tried to do that for a while before realizing that it was an lcd screen and I felt old and hollow inside in this world of lcds.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Taint Reaper posted:

I still have a trinitron with the front door intact.

Considering there are still companies that make Audio cassettes with obsessive R&D to get that same quality, CRTs will never go out of style. Someone will seek out the sony people and study their high quality winding techniques for the interior.

26 inch CRTs are around 15 dollars at Goodwill, I wish I had room for a few more.

the trinitron will be there long after you because gently caress moving those things

i actually got sent to the principal in middle school once for going around and degaussing all the monitors in the typing class but damned if i could resist the ptwaaang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

My GTX 460 has been chugging along for 4 years now. Might upgrade next year.

• Locked thread