Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turn 30: MANNER PLEASE

Before I even started this turn, I received some messages on steam, from Pangaea's player.

quote:

3:34 PM - Eschatos: your bullshit in sunshine is really starting to be a pain in the rear end
3:34 PM - Eschatos: so good job, i guess
3:34 PM - Zoe Zucchini: :)

This bodes well. Sort of.

Our forces didn't meet anything but province defence at Gwyrth, as anticipated. At Fowanshire, however,

AHA

Most of our losses were from friendly fire. Asrapas are particularly vulnerable to arrows, and in combination with blood vengeance, we kind of murdered a lot of our own units. Whoops!

Since we took Yrik Balkor back this turn, too, their commander who fled died with his army, since he had nowhere to retreat to.

We lost a mage in The Rusty Badlands and the commander of our handful of atavi archers in Stone Heavens to dryad seducers this turn. They're scripted to cast swarm.

Swarm is a pretty powerful spell, castable by any nature mage and especially powerful in one on one fights such as seductions and assassinations, although it costs a single nature gem to cast(not that Pangaea has a lack of nature gems with Mother Oak up and their massive base nature income).

I'm expecting the enemy army at Gwyrth to be made up of mostly siege chaff in the center, with white centaurs on the flanks set to attack rear(not that it will do much when our lines stretch across both sides of the battle map), supported by upwards of a dozen(?) nature mages, probably just set to cast swarm a ton. It's going to be a difficult fight, so I'm having our pretender run all the way back to Gwyrth while our army maintains the siege instead of storming the fortress. If we don't take it this turn that's fine, I'm not sending our army into a siege without her present. All of the archers with our army will be set to fire at enemy cavalry, if they can hit the white centaurs and force them to berserk they should just charge straight into our pile of undead chaff and get fatigued out before our actual heavy hitters, the palankasha and rakshasa warriors, can finish them off. Our asrapa are far too vulnerable, they'll get torn to pieces if they fight the white centaurs head on, so I'm just setting them behind our tougher demons and hoping that it works out.

I'm not sure how undead units' HP works as far as our army having to take morale checks goes. I think that if most of the total HP of your army is fleeing or destroyed, that your entire army will rout? Hopefully our pretender's 330 current HP will do something to override that.

I'm also sending our former black mirror user Something Is Squeezing My Skull, now retired from skull squeezing, out west with another atavi chieftain to Stone Heavens to start taking back whatever provinces they can with nothing but archers.

I'm almost certain the Pangaean(is that even how you would write that? I honestly have no idea english is really dumb and also my 3rd/4th language) army in the Western Plains is going to move east to Sonria. Since it still has well over 100 unrest, we can't exactly recruit anymore troops there. What we can do, however, is blow almost our entire treasury on province defence.

This is well over a thousand gold worth of province defenders. It's not at all worth it and may very well be the single biggest waste of gold that I have ever commited in my entire time playing dominions 4. We aren't even recruiting a single mage this turn.

The army that should be attacking us from Western Plains is large, but not very large.

Only 12 white centaurs. Those satyrs are pretty solid soldiers, and centaur warriors are about as good as white centaurs, but not sacred so they don't have a bless we have to worry about.

Province defence just spawns right in the middle of the battle map as far as I know, so this is the formation we're adopting. Hopefully the centaurs don't smash into our archers and massacre them, I've grown to sort of like them when they're not shooting our demons in the back and getting themselves killed in the process.

Down by Niefelheim, we're just going to start taking back a few provinces. I don't think we'll run into their pretender, if I had to guess he's going to pull him back to protect his last fortress, or maybe to Ligrea, where he has a pile of mages researching/forging things that I haven't felt like we could safely attack yet.

I've spent about 2-3 hours thinking/procrastinating about this turn, if not actually actively looking at it. I entered it thinking we were totally hosed, but honestly? I'm sort of vaguely confident about it now. This is also probably the first turn that I've actually written while actually taking the turn, since I've been thinking about it over such an extended period of time. Hi.

I'm also going to have spent roughly 1500 gold over the last 2 turns recruiting incredibly overpriced, high-upkeep units to try to break us into the ocean. If they don't die soon we're going to be a little hosed, our upkeep next turn is going to be coming VERY close to our income next turn, so we probably won't be recruiting much of anything.

Hopefully we'll see some results from the ocean fuckers division in a turn or two, I'm going to keep them on the down low until they actually accomplish something. I had a way to break into the ocean much more cheaply using raksharaja thugs equipped with fire brands, vine shields, and pills of water breathing, but with the outbreak of hostilities with Pangaea and the unkillable nature of Niefelheim that won't be happening anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I'm confused, are you now running in real-time with the game? I thought you were about 15-20 turns behind? Did you catch up sooner than expected?

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Should be an interesting next turn. That army is huge.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'm confused, are you now running in real-time with the game? I thought you were about 15-20 turns behind? Did you catch up sooner than expected?

No I just wrote that update as I was taking the turn several weeks ago, the actual game is on turn 51

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Garth modpud is waiting for new turns so that the buffer doesn't get eaten away.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Garth modpud is waiting for new turns so that the buffer doesn't get eaten away.

Probably doesn't matter at this point :v:

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
dead lp

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought only kitfox did the mad PD thing.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

goatface posted:

I thought only kitfox did the mad PD thing.

Unsupported mad pd is a kitfox thing. Pumping pd way up in an important battle to provide chaff, to destroy problematic raiders, etc are legit. In this case, modpud is stacking it for a specific defensive purpose. Though monkey pd is pretty bad, it's good enough to take a couple hits and get in the way so that her actual army of sacreds and archers can maybe win it against a more tired and hopefully attritioned enemy.

46 pd is a bit overboard though imo. Personally I would have probably stopped in the 20-25 range.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Samog posted:

dead lp

Hi, hello, sorry! Before I left for work last night I looked at the date stamp of my last post and was like "Oh, september 8th? I'm so loving on top of this poo poo I don't even remembering posting updates" without looking to see that it was actually september 8th, 12:01 am

The game is on a 50 hour timer right now because I'm working 3 jobs, but I should only be working 10-11 hours today and tomorrow so I'll post an update later. I don't really care about the buffer anymore

e: Also tonight I'm thinking I'll also put up a game on a 50 hour timer for all the new people who are like "well i WOULD play, but I can't get to the computer every day!!!"

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 9, 2014

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I think (hope) he was joking about the dead lp thing. I'm still holding out hope for the Dead Space 2 LP from SaigonTimeMD. 31 updates since Feb 13 2013, last update May 1 2014

If you don't post for 5 months then we can start accusing you of dead lp'ing it

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

He's just a fucker head gettin all up in my poo poo about lettuce play, something he feels very strongly about

gently caress it we're doing it live http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498140&pagenumber=123#post434642436

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

garth ferengi posted:

He's just a fucker head gettin all up in my poo poo about lettuce play, something he feels very strongly about

gently caress it we're doing it live http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498140&pagenumber=123#post434642436

I so would but I suck too much to show off my embarassing skills T_T

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Noob games are meant to be embarassing for everyone involved, don't be a baby

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

garth ferengi posted:

Noob games are meant to be embarassing for everyone involved, don't be a baby

Ill show you who's a baby!
It's me. I'm a baby

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Unsupported mad pd is a kitfox thing. Pumping pd way up in an important battle to provide chaff, to destroy problematic raiders, etc are legit. In this case, modpud is stacking it for a specific defensive purpose. Though monkey pd is pretty bad, it's good enough to take a couple hits and get in the way so that her actual army of sacreds and archers can maybe win it against a more tired and hopefully attritioned enemy.

46 pd is a bit overboard though imo. Personally I would have probably stopped in the 20-25 range.

Yeah, flavah used this against me in a current game where some mages went in to try take down a golem raider and got ruined because on top of being one turn off in my scripting there was 15-20 PD there as well which needed completely different spells to fight.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turn 31: How I Do

Here's a diplomacy update that happened between turns!

quote:

<modpud> i'm attacking 64 in a turn
<modpud> jfyi
<modpud> id like the entire coast from 64 on down
<modpud> maybe some other stuff east of that. maybe.
<LordSloth> Also FYI, I'll -probably- fight over the seas
<modpud> well im not about to let you have complete control of them
<LordSloth> Understandable
<modpud> i just killed pangaea's entire army in a single turn so i have the resources to spare to gently caress you up with a million amphibious raksharaja thugs
<LordSloth> I have a glorious six land provinces, so
<LordSloth> I have reason to push inwards
<modpud> ya, i just want the poo poo along my coast at least
<modpud> you can have the island at 51 tho. then you can have a whole SEVEN land provinces
<LordSloth> I'm gonna back off the coastal provinces
<modpud> ok ty
<modpud> peace in our time!!

64 and everything else that I asked for is the whole eastern coast that we're along. 51 is that tiny single province island in the south, right in the middle of the sea. I don't REALLY care about the ocean but at this point we've spent something like 1500 gold on recruiting hilariously overpriced idiots to conquer the sea, and their upkeep is so high that our upkeep is higher than our income. If it wasn't for an event saving us from bankruptcy(and giving us a stupid sword I'll throw at our pretender, I guess), we may very well have lost some troops to desertion this turn.

Anyways, battles first.

Fall, 1943. The Battle of Gwyrth. I, being bad and in idiot, leave our mages scripted to cast bless when our pretender being in the battle means that our entire army is blessed automatically. This doesn't mean that they cast bless on troops already blessed, they just do whatever the hell they feel like doing. Which isn't super great.

All of Pangaea's mages carry quite a few nature gems, and are scripted to cast swarm. One of their more important mages is this guy.

Pans are Pangaea's best mage, I don't think they're capital only but they are slow to recruit. This guy has enough nature gems to summon probably a million bugs with swarm.

Our pretender is scripted to cast blood lust on turn 1, which gives all of our demons +4 strength. It's not a huge deal but it's worth it, it could make the difference between wounding and killing a white centaur with our rakshasa warriors' cudgels.

They summon a few bugs but... not actually very many. Most of their mages are scripted to either bless their troops or cast wooden warriors, a buff that gives units some additional protection in exchange for becoming weak to fire.

After an extended melee their forces finally collapse. The white centaurs, all gone berserk, are wiped out. Almost all of their mages are too exhausted to flee, falling to our archers and pursuing troops.

A complete and total victory. We lost almost all of our undead, but they're essentially free since all we have to do is pay upkeep on priests.

Sonria. 46 points of PD for us, plus change. This is massive overkill, and my second biggest regret of the last few turns.

Their centaurs actually flank and tear into our real archers, which sucks, but

They really didn't have a chance.

By dragging Pangaea into high turmoil provinces/our own dominion, we have utilised our demons to completely destroy their armies, maybe their entire army. It's probably time to start pushing back, especially since we have rain of toads again.

2 more mages and another commander lost to dryads. Of particular note is the atavi chieftain, who was moving to cut off the escape route for Pangaea's army in Sonria, which has meant that instead of being eliminted entirely like the force we killed last turn, the units who managed to flee actually fled.

The Pangaean front. We'll retake Gwyrth, launch some toads at the enemy fortresses, and start taking poo poo back.

ilu xuande is making his move as well.

Dai Oni are the entire reason to play Yomi. They're expensive and slow to recruit and require proper gear, but if you want to use something that's almost a supercombatant, it's them. I think it's a waste to do so over just using them as a mage though, honestly.

This one immediately buffs itself with a blessing and casts Phoenix Pyre.

Phoenix Pyre is incredibly powerful, it lets a unit with enough reinvigoration just keep on fighting, and in combination with another spell(which ilu xuande has not researched, it appears) they are nearly unstoppable.

EVery time he's "killed", he bursts into flames, badly damaging the white centaurs, and reappearing elsewhere.

It's a little close, but the lone Dai Oni completely wipes out the enemy force.

Now then, Niefelheim. Their pretender moved east of their former capital like I hoped, allowing us to win some very nice battles.

"But wait, what the hell is that gigantic pile of weird looking green guys up in Ancient Woods?", you might be asking. Well, those are the biggest mistake I've made in the past few turns. The underwater division.

Meet these loving terrible guys. They cost 25 gold apiece to recruit, requiring almost 2 gold apiece per turn in upkeep. I've recruited 70 in the past 2 turns. That's 1750 gold, and 140 gold in upkeep.

Against those godawful werewolves with almost no gear, however, they do just fine. Their commanders are now equipped with flesh eaters, which isn't great. One hit in battle and they'll go berserk and charge into the fray to get themselves killed.

Shamblers are okay. Sort of. If they cost something like 10 gold I would use them in a pinch. But 25 gold for a unit with next to no protection, length 0 weapons, and poor attack/defence skill? gently caress off. Their only saving grace is that they're ampbibious, which is why I've recruited so many. We are going to the sea.

DIPLOMACY UPDATE. This came up while I was taking my turn.

code:
<Eschatos> goddamnit modpud
Our upkeep has now just barely edged out our income. We had better start losing some troops, or we'll start getting poor real real quick.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Your new mission to collect lots of dumb swords for your pretender to hold. The dumber the sword the better.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

3 shields, 1 sword. Prostrat

Honestly, I would've just made up a force of undead and sent a lovely mage to lead the charge underwater.
Or summon a death mage of some sort.

gently caress the ocean forever is what I'm saying.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Berserk is awesome and back when I was playing pangaea at one point I'd just come to every battle with a shitload of maenads and a pan named Vuvuzela Pete scripted to cast Growing Fury. It didn't work too well though they did rip apart an SC pretender in hilarious fashion.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 10, 2014

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

dead lp

Turn 32: Fosc

No real notable battles along this front. It looks like Pangaea has been summoning leogryphs, a nature gem summon that I've never seen before. Hopefully they aren't a big problem. I'm sending forces to both forts, I'd like to lay siege to both and storm The Forgotten Woods while the troops stuck in Gentle Woods can't do anything, if possible. Those leogryphs aren't stealthy.

Pangaea moved vaguely where I thought they would. I'm expecting them to either all converge on the throne fort, or pull everything back to Mictlan, I don't know which. Our archer groups are moving to reclaim land, I'll probably have them lay siege to Mictlan or run back to our main force currently in Bright Woods if I'm scared of losing them.

Our first underwater battle! The ocean loving sucks and I hate it. I hate everything about it.

If there were twice as many of them, we would've lost. Badly. Amber clan guards have very good armour, a length 4 spear, and a shield. They rip apart shamblers like nothing else.

We can recruit these guys from the province! The Amber Clan Guards are useless because they cost so many resources and we can't build fortresses underwater(only water nations and a handful of land-based nations can) and we don't really need W2 mages that can't leave the water.

I took luck this shouldn't be happening to me

Niefelheim's pretender is in Ligrea. I'm just going to hit every single one of their provinces at once, their pretender can't be at all 3 of them at the same time, he has to abide by the laws of simultaneity. If we can storm their last fortress, that'll pretty much be it, we'll pretty much be able to ignore their pretender completely.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

garth ferengi posted:

We can recruit these guys from the province! The Amber Clan Guards are useless because they cost so many resources and we can't build fortresses underwater(only water nations and a handful of land-based nations can) and we don't really need W2 mages that can't leave the water.

theocean.txt

I'd recruit a few. if nothing else to get a voice of tiamat caster to get maximum gems from minimum caring about the ocean.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Do you have Water access yet? Frost bands delicioso time?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Can you blood-hunt the ocean for mergins?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Blood slaves cannot be brought into the water as they all drown. Under the logic of the game, this also means that blood-hunting cannot be conducted in water provinces.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

when people say gently caress the ocean they mean it literally. constant orgy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Blood slaves cannot be brought into the water as they all drown. Under the logic of the game, this also means that blood-hunting cannot be conducted in water provinces.

Imagine if in the UW patch they put virgin mermen slaves.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Turin Turambar posted:

Imagine if in the UW patch they put virgin mermen slaves.

Sure, you could use them to summon inscubi.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sacrifice your mermen's sanity to summon void creatures.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

slowbrains, a game for new people that will start on a 2 day timer, needs just one more person to be filled up! Someone in here who is interested in the game should probably join it

e: and I've also put up gonglu, a game that is using some mods I've been working on the last week, that needs more people too! It's not specifically for new people, but anyone can join up

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 11, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

goatface posted:

Sacrifice your mermen's sanity to summon void creatures.

LA R'lyeh has you covered.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turn 33: Behind the Mask

quote:

<willus> "here's how to make a lovely lp that people inexplicably read anyway kids!"

The Black Mirror is loving useless to us now. There goes our sole astral caster, I'm going to be marching him into the annunaki of sky's throne this turn.

The underwater division launches its amphibious assaults! There's a mage in their pile we haven't seen before.

They're bad, much like almost everything that isn't white or male in dominions

Unfortunately, I also dropped toads all over them! Hooray!

We're storming The Forgotten Woods. I'm expecting the forces inside Gentle Woods to try to break out, so I'm sending the troops sieging it northwards. ilu xuande and I agreed on our borders, he won't take anything of Pangaea's further east of where that Dai Oni is sitting right now, right in the center of the map.

As you can see, Mictlan still holds a single province at the mid-top of the map! He's long since gone AI though. I'm taking that throne fort this turn, and then moving west to Mictlan's former capital the next.

Unfortunately, we didn't hit Niefelheim's fortress hard enough to immediately storm it. I'm converging everything that I can on it this turn, and I'm moving a scout from Ligrea to their pretender's current location to try to stop him in his tracks. If two armies are both attacking eachother's provinces, as I'm hoping is the case here, it randomly chooses one of the armies to move while the other becomes the defender. Their pretender MIGHT be chosen as the defender here. Doing this with scouts is a really lovely thing to do, it's probably game breaking(and by game breaking I mean a huge abuse of game mechanics) so I only do it when I'm in a particularly desperate situation or, like here, just plain tired of fighting someone. We'll have leech researched in two turns.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I thought who became defender and who became attacker was based on the size of the armies though? right? so doing it with a scout is like a one in a million lottery prayer?

Or is the game actually broken enough for that to be untrue?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

You're probably right? It's only actually worked once and I have zero actual mechanical knowledge of the game, so

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Dominions LPs are always a hoot to read - thanks for the entertainment. I think I am actually going to buy this micro-management hellhole of a game.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

namad posted:

I thought who became defender and who became attacker was based on the size of the armies though? right? so doing it with a scout is like a one in a million lottery prayer?

Or is the game actually broken enough for that to be untrue?

With Dominions, either could be true.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You actually could assign commanders to blood hunt in water provinces in Dom3, if you used the keyboard shortcut instead of the dropdown menu. I'm assuming that was fixed in Dom4 but I haven't tried

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Flavahbeast posted:

You actually could assign commanders to blood hunt in water provinces in Dom3, if you used the keyboard shortcut instead of the dropdown menu. I'm assuming that was fixed in Dom4 but I haven't tried

I checked yesterday because of this thread.

You can't.

But in Dom3 I didn't realize this was a bug and you weren't meant to be able to until after I had modded a UW blood nation. Because who the gently caress clicks "Blood Hunt" instead of shift+B?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Speleothing posted:

I checked yesterday because of this thread.

You can't.

But in Dom3 I didn't realize this was a bug and you weren't meant to be able to until after I had modded a UW blood nation. Because who the gently caress clicks "Blood Hunt" instead of shift+B?

I know none of the shortcut keys :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Gridlocked posted:

I know none of the shortcut keys :downs:

You will never be able to raid :(

• Locked thread