Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

That's Dominions for you.

Well yeah. I just was thinking that for now he hasn't been in not even one single battle (against other players, let's ignore that throne) where he could have lost, once he started fighting, he was stronger than the rest. Lots of times in Dominions FFA games are just chaotic. Sometimes, let's be honest, it isn't like there has been master levels of subtle diplomacy, it just happen that A fight B, C fight D, and E the odd one is left alone growing strong and with the opportunity of cleaning house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
It's really bad to do a fight that you can lose. It's double really bad to do a fight that you can lose with any thing that matters

namad
Nov 7, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Then there are linebacker communions, where a crystal matrix on something with 200 hp and regen can go a long way.

IIRC linebacker communions were dominions 3 reverse communions where you used masters to transfer buffs to thugs or SCs who acting as slaves of the communion who then fought in melee combat. However if reverse communions don't exist in dominions 4 the linebacker communions don't exist either. Since they were a subset of reverse communions.

namad fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 21, 2014

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

you used crystal matrix or you just used "Communion Slave." You could also linebacker communion with units that wouldn't normally be thugs but when they have 80 combat buffs become efficient thugs. Slave collars were exclusively for trolling.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
This thread makes my head hurt.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Kin33 posted:

This thread makes my head hurt.

We'll never forgive you for what you did to THEY'RE STATUES MOM, NOT TOYS. You monster.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

i posted a thread

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dear-illwinter-please-make-your-game-less-sexist

Turn 41: 7 Seconds

I killed the Annunaki of the Sky last turn but completely forgot to take screenshots of it since I was so focussed on that video! Whoops! I didn't even look at the battle myself, it probably wasn't very interesting since I just attacked him with a random assortment of terrible troops, with some commanders equipped with these.

Eyes of the Void make phantasmal warriors instantly evaporate if the bearer is nearby, so the Annunaki of the Sky was pretty much all alone against a small army.

Anyways, this is the throne we got!

Precision +3 is incredibly useful on all of our thunder striking mages, and growth +1 is pretty nice too. Now we're up to death 1 instead of death 3.

Precision works REALLY weirdly, by the way. 10 is the base level, and points above 10 are twice as effective as points below 10? I'm sorry if I'm really bad at explaining this, but essentially what it means is that precision buffs are very very effective while precision debuffs aren't as big a deal, so between our new blessing and wind guide(which I just researched this turn!) we have some pretty amazing battle magic capabilities.

Now then, onto the turn!

We got half a dozen messages like this! Kitfox is trying to hurt us using a really bad ritual called fires from afar, which costs 10 fire gems and hits 15ish random units in a province. We lose a few archers and MAYBE(maybe) a raksharaja, along with a few rakshasa warriors.

Probably not worth the 60 fire gems and 6 powerful mage turns he spent, but knowing him he's probably sitting on 200+ fire gems at this point in the game.

Kitfox took Dragonscale Mountains from us by using his last few air mages to summon hawks to attack us! We lost half a dozen mages in the attack, so I'm spending a ton of gold this turn to get province defence on all of our provinces closest to him.

We're stormin Nenhaboa this turn. It's the throne of air, which will give us even more air gems, among other things that we don't really need at this point.

I'm also attacking Endron, a province of Hinnom's, and telling him that it's all I want from him. I'm actually going to attack him as soon as Abysia is totally bottled up, hopefully he'll be intimidated and won't immediately attack us. I'm not super worried about him though.

Let's take a look at the state of our gems/blood slaves/etc!

We've got a TON of pretty much everything. I'm planning on casting mother oak within a few turns so we'll have even more nature gems, our air gem income is pretty bad but it'll get better with the throne of the air. I've had quite a few mages casting remote sitesearching spells for the past few turns so our gem income has skyrocketed.

There's two types of magic site searching. The first type is manual, which requires a mage to personally walk around and look for magic sites, and some sites require more powerful mages to find. The second type is remote site searching. Remote site searching spells are in several areas of the magic schools, like conjuration, thaumaturgy, and evocation.

Remote sitesearching spells require a mage to usually have 2 in a magic path(1 in the case of astral, blood, and death) and cost anywhere from 2-5 gems/pearls/blood slaves, but they have a range of 2-5 provinces and find every single magic site of the spell's type, so when I play I tend to not do a whole lot of manual site searching, and just wait until I can remotely site search everything and get a massive boost in gem income. Having luck/magic has really helped us to get started in a ton of different magic paths as well, due to all the free gems that I've used to empower mages in different things, like water and earth and fire.

In case you're wondering, blood slave income from blood hunting doesn't show up on the magic resource screen, nor does it show up on the score graphs(which are off in this game, so we won't be seeing them until the end of the game since Lanka lacks spies that can infiltrate other nations and sneak a peek at their score graphs).

I'm pretty sure we're by far the most powerful nation in the game right now, though. Even our income is probably higher than anyone else's, except maybe Fomoria's, since they have almost the entire ocean to themselves. Hopefully Hinnom and Ulm don't give us too much trouble.

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 22, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The manual/remote debate can get heated. I prefer remote because I am lazy as poo poo.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speleothing posted:

The manual/remote debate can get heated. I prefer remote because I am lazy as poo poo.

This is the correct answer

Also the N and A(hawks!) remote attack spells are much better for messing up an enemy and stealing his gems than the crappy fire spell. They're blocked by 10-15 PD, but who buys that much PD?

Edit: Though I guess not as good as they used to be since spells have ranges nowadays.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Some friends of mine actually made a mod to try and fix this (found here: http://ladygolem.tumblr.com/post/82981736683/dominions-4-sauromatia-fix-ver-1-01-1) and it was originally going to try tackle all nations but they only ended up doing Sauromatia.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

My mod at least fixes strength/hp discrepancies, but nobody likes my mods so nobody has really played it. There'll be a new version coming out soon, I'm going to sit on the current version for a few more days and maybe steal more work from other people before I release it

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21409916/pudmod%200_03.rar

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

My mod at least fixes strength/hp discrepancies, but nobody likes my mods so nobody has really played it. There'll be a new version coming out soon, I'm going to sit on the current version for a few more days and maybe steal more work from other people before I release it

Oh whoops i forgot you'd also done work on your own.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

There are some games on GGS that need players taht use it though! The entire list of changes is here http://pastebin.com/6j8i6CA0

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

garth ferengi posted:

I actually liked your pretender mod quite a bit, made me actually want a rainbow. Most of the stuff in that mod seems pretty cool, but why the big buffs to Ashdod and EA Ulm? I thought those nations were fine, even if not absolute top tier or whatever.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A throne with +3 precision?

Gah. Between that and some personal buffs or items, your thunderstrikes will hit like lasered Hellfires.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

This thread is absolutely dire.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tulip posted:

Yeah. I find it vaguely interesting that, in a game where a nude, obese fertility idol can become a goddess and rule the world, the stat lines on troops with marginal differences are a huge problem. The game is trying to use myths as a vehicle for its design. The myths are often sexist. Or at any rate, conflict with our ideas of equality. I would have guessed that people who are into this game would be more interested in a conversation about it on that basis rather than the kind of any-discussion-about-gender-on-the-internet thread going on there.

I also don't get how flipping gender on every unit in a faction fixes anything. I would think the right way is to figure out how to do a random magic paths style thing where you assign gender by coin-flip to anything you recruit.

Heh. It'd be kind of cool if you could get freespawn by keeping breeding pairs of some summoned creatures on hand. Burden of time + an economy based around breeding monsters could be kind of interesting as a strategy. Growth scales could increase the likelyhood of the freespawn.

Edit: \/\/\/ I think you mean 'WickerFem'.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 22, 2014

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tulip posted:

Devs respond by creating a nation of women demons that devour male pop.

Fail to see problem. Nation is unbalanced.

Ooo nation of the Strawfem. Based on the mythology of an overarching feminist plot to subjugate the world.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

my thread got locked

quote:

If you're offering to redo the 15 year old codebase of the game from the ground up to suit your pet peeve rather than make the best of what we already have, feel free to do so.

I warned in my previous post that if this thread keeps going round in circles, I'm going to lock it. I've had enough of dealing with all the bullshit going on in this thread, so this discussion dies right here.

If similar discussions are raised in the future, it had better not be a repeat of this thread.

Apparently you aren't allowed to say that it's sort of really lovely that units are assumed to be male by default or something

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Yeah. I find it vaguely interesting that, in a game where a nude, obese fertility idol can become a goddess and rule the world, the stat lines on troops with marginal differences are a huge problem. The game is trying to use myths as a vehicle for its design. The myths are often sexist.

There's a big difference between taking inspiration from misogynistic sources and actually mechanically representing it in your game though. I said this in my thread but it's the kind of thing that kept me away from dominions 3(and the only reason I got dominions 4 was that someone bought it for me when it was on sale for like $8) and screams "this is a game meant for people who don't think highly of me/people like me"

Turn 42: So Prone

Nenhaboa is ours. I'm hitting the last of Abysia's non-fort provinces, Fomoria has laid siege to their northern throne. Ulm lost that province next to their fortress and they're not getting income out of their far southern holdings, so I'm snatching them up.

Our new throne! Air shield is nice, I think the air shield this throne grants gives our troops immunity to 40% of projectiles? It doesn't protect against most spells though.

I'm hitting Abysia's capital with our mercenaries, along with half a dozen kitted out dakini thugs. Hopefully Abysia's mages will keep shooting magic gems at us with a firehose rather than patrolling, if there's a good mage or two hiding behind 70 points of PD we'll have some trouble.

Another million messages like this, of course. He's probably running low on fire gems now, but I'm irritated enough that I just want to kill him myself.

More uninteresting fights, our PD is doing its job of murdering stupid birds at least.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Throne of Air's Air Shield is a mere 20%, the exact inverse of the Air 9 Bless Air Shield which is 80% (and I think the spell(s) as well)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Neruz posted:

Throne of Air's Air Shield is a mere 20%, the exact inverse of the Air 9 Bless Air Shield which is 80% (and I think the spell(s) as well)

Do they stack is the real question?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

garth ferengi posted:

Apparently you aren't allowed to say that it's sort of really lovely that units are assumed to be male by default or something
Also despite the clarion call of "Just mod it!", actually modding it will offend people instantly.

Good community, 10/10.

Veloxyll posted:

Yes, you can get 100% Air Shield from a bless, which will provide 100% immunity to most non-magical projectiles, and a handful of projectiles from spells (notably Blade Wind) but by no means all of them.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veloxyll posted:

Yes, but its multiplicative not additive, so you get a 80% chance and then if that fails you get a second 20% chance, not actually sure what order it goes on though.

I have no idea if the bless and the spell stack, if so then you could possibly get 3 air shields for an 80, 80, 20 block chance :v:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

quote:

If you're offering to redo the 15 year old codebase of the game from the ground up to suit your pet peeve rather than make the best of what we already have, feel free to do so.

Hahahaha "incidental statlines = core of the codebase"

What a bunch of dickbags. Your gut evaluation was right.

Neruz posted:

Yes, but its multiplicative not additive, so you get a 80% chance and then if that fails you get a second 20% chance, not actually sure what order it goes on though.

I have no idea if the bless and the spell stack, if so then you could possibly get 3 air shields for an 80, 80, 20 block chance :v:

A*x*y=A*y*x so you wouldn't be able to tell the order. In this case, 1*.8*.2=0.16.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

garth ferengi posted:

More uninteresting fights, our PD is doing its job of murdering stupid birds at least.

How much PD is needed to defeat 40 hawks? ~25?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

How much PD is needed to defeat 40 hawks? ~25?

Depends on the province but in most provinces 10 pd will do it 95% of the time. If it's a province with Heavy Cavalry\Infantry or other similar armored units with proper equipment (and not, say, naked pale ones) then even 5 pd is basically impervious to Call of the Winds.

Black Hawks are weak, they're only really good for taking 1 - 5 pd provinces, patrolling and sieging\defending sieges.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 23, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

More like 2.5. Hawks are bad.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

scalded schlong posted:

More like 2.5. Hawks are bad.

Hawks can totes sometimes take 5 deer tribe PD so long as the province isn't owned by ponymans.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Neruz posted:

Depends on the province but in most provinces 10 pd will do it 95% of the time. If it's a province with Heavy Cavalry\Infantry or other similar armored units with proper equipment (and not, say, naked pale ones) then even 5 pd is basically impervious to Call of the Winds.

Black Hawks are weak, they're only really good for taking 1 - 5 pd provinces, patrolling and sieging\defending sieges.

I always used to defend provinces with around 2 pd and could defeat black hawks no problem

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Istvun posted:

I always used to defend provinces with around 2 pd and could defeat black hawks no problem

The AI loves to Call of the Winds you and I play a lot of singleplayer so I'm very familiar with their impact on PD, 2PD will probably work most of the time (say 9/10) on infantry\cavalry provinces but unless you're ponymans or giants 2 X-tribe PD will lose to Call of the Winds around half the time.

The fact that PD is specific to province poptype without forts makes it tricky, 2 pd will work fine if its 2 pd worth of heavy cavalry or heavy infantry or lava born or something similar, but it won't always do the trick if it's 2 pd worth of topless men with daggers.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Istvun posted:

Spring for 5, you're only spending 12 more gold on the province, which you're pretty likely to recoup the one time birds attack and definitely fail. It also looks scarier on scout reports.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Spring for 5, you're only spending 12 more gold on the province, which you're pretty likely to recoup the one time birds attack and definitely fail. It also looks scarier on scout reports.

I thought 5 was the threshold where it still looks like "one dude and his henchmen" and 6 was the next tier up?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I thought 5 was the threshold where it still looks like "one dude and his henchmen" and 6 was the next tier up?

Nope, 5 is 'a few men' or something. It's a slightly different message from 1pd.

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

garth ferengi posted:

my thread got locked

There's a big difference between taking inspiration from misogynistic sources and actually mechanically representing it in your game though. I said this in my thread but it's the kind of thing that kept me away from dominions 3(and the only reason I got dominions 4 was that someone bought it for me when it was on sale for like $8) and screams "this is a game meant for people who don't think highly of me/people like me"

According to Hesiod, Athena "excelled in strength all the deathless ones who dwell in Olympus," but the Titan of War and Wisdom actually has the lowest strength of any of the Titan pretenders. I'm sure everyone who's against equal-strength female units on the grounds mythological verisimilitude will start lobbying for a fix in the next patch.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Grognards think of women as inferior both physically and mentally?? :wow:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ianvincible posted:

According to Hesiod, Athena "excelled in strength all the deathless ones who dwell in Olympus," but the Titan of War and Wisdom actually has the lowest strength of any of the Titan pretenders. I'm sure everyone who's against equal-strength female units on the grounds mythological verisimilitude will start lobbying for a fix in the next patch.

I'm pretty sure in some of the legends Athena gets into straight up fights with other gods and wins most of them quite handily.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Neruz posted:

I'm pretty sure in some of the legends Athena gets into straight up fights with other gods and wins most of them quite handily.

The reason Athena is the best in all the Greek myths we've inherited is that most of them come from Athens.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

wiegieman posted:

The reason Athena is the best in all the Greek myths we've inherited is that most of them come from Athens.

Only need to make corrections for mythology like that if it makes a female unit weaker. That's how mythical accuracy works right?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity shouldn't Abbysia be an absolute nightmare are for Lanka to fight? There is the obvious fire weakness but wouldn't Fire Storm or whatever the fire nuke spell render any attempt to create a blood communion pointless and with that any Mage hoping to tap into that will be left entirely to the whims of the AI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

Out of curiosity shouldn't Abbysia be an absolute nightmare are for Lanka to fight?
You'd maybe think so, but:

- Fire Storm isn't castable by an Anointed of Rhaux, a.k.a. Literally The Best Fire Mage on turn one without either an F booster, which might be possible, or a Crystal/Slave matrix communion set-up, which I doubt Kitfox has - that's not a Kitfox dig, that's just what happens when you can only get ES together on a 2.5% cap-only Random.

- All battlefield-wide evocation only hits 50% of the battlefield, chosen randomly, so you'd need several Annointeds of Rhaux buffed up that way, which isn't cheap - the F booster costs 20 gems, and although that's manageable for Abysia because its income is huge, it still stacks up when you're looking at 15+ additional gems per battle to not even definitely hit every square.

- It's possible that some Blood slaves might survive one hit if they get lucky on the RNG.

- Blood slaves are different to other gems in that they're "pooled" within a certain range, and if a sabbath only needs 30 slaves to get started and reinvigorated a couple of times, that means bringing more basically makes it a certainty that it'll happen.

- On Lanka turn 1, Rain is going up, absolutely no ifs or buts, because it's that useful against troops which depend on Heat Aura for a lot of their power (because it shuts it down), and makes all fire magic twice as fatiguing, which will basically stop any attempt by Abysia to Do Stuff.

- Lanka got a +5 fire resistance throne, which brings most of its demons to at least neutral fire resistance, even the ones which would ordinarily take more damage.

- Even without its Sabbath, Lanka still has pretty sweet mages.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 23, 2014

• Locked thread