Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

They wear Ring Mail in LA so they're 11r rather than 7r.

Oh did not see that. Ok thanks.

Also, thread dead, let's look through Garth's pockets for spare change and receipts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Thread please show us your #secondshape

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I don't really wear clothing with pockets

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

garth ferengi posted:

I don't really wear clothing with pockets

Not like you can fit anything in the pockets of clothes that have them either.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Thanatz posted:

Not like you can fit anything in the pockets of clothes that have them either.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be some kind of megaburn or something???

Turn 44: Psychedelic Afternoon

Hinnom's god. It gives all friendly units involved in battle luck, which negatves 75% of all killing blows, which is pretty fantastic on an army-wide scale, especially with human sized troops.

One of Hinnom's many heroes. Hinnom, unlike most other nations, has 6 extremely powerful heroes, all of which spread unrest and kill population.

Avvite light infantry are probably Hinnom's best infantry unit. They have good defence skill, spears, javelins, shields, and some armour, while being very cheap, something like 25 gold and 14 resources apiece I think?

Hinnom's only archers. These guys suck, they're incredibly expensive and their great bows just aren't that much better than human-sized longbows.

Things start out pretty much the same as last battle. Their infantry collapses fairly quickly.

Unfortunately our mages decide to summon skeletons and zombies after their 5 turns of scripting end, which doesn't help much. Hinnom's archers fight to protect their paralysed god(I still have no idea what paralysed it, honestly) but break and run, leaving it to die.

Unfortunately all those skeletons and zombies being summoned pushes our sabbath slaves too far, and we lose a huge pile of them on the last turn of the fight. I should've had more casts of reinvigoration scripted.

No Fires From Afar messages this turn! Abysia must finally be out of fire gems. We do lose a few more mages to mind hunts though.

We lost 2 dakini, but wiped out Abysia's entire capital PD stack, all 2000-3000 gold worth of it.

I'm going to begin launching dakini raids on Hinnom, I want to strangle their income and dakini are fine for raiding even in order 3 dominion like theirs.

Finally! Only took, what, almost 2 years?

Niefelheim's former lands are incredibly rich, something like 3 or 4 different provinces with good income and 10000+ population. I'm blood hunting the poo poo out of them.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

garth ferengi posted:

I think he is just fat.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

garth ferengi posted:

I was just bitching about the state of women's clothing. Sometimes I wish I had functional pockets.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

Kin33 posted:

I think he is just fat.

Aren't all goons?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Thanatz posted:

I was just bitching about the state of women's clothing. Sometimes I wish I had functional pockets.

I decided to go completely pantsless and pocketless after I was given a pair of jeans that had pockets that couldn't have been deeper than 5 cm

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

garth ferengi posted:

I decided to go completely pantsless and pocketless after I was given a pair of jeans that had pockets that couldn't have been deeper than 5 cm

As a skinny guy I can say jeans pockets are the worst. My wallet never fits in the same one as my phone and when they do I can't get them out while sitting down.

gently caress jeans pockets.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gridlocked posted:

As a skinny guy I can say jeans pockets are the worst. My wallet never fits in the same one as my phone and when they do I can't get them out while sitting down.

gently caress jeans pockets.

It's almost impossible to pickpocket someone with a wallet in skinny jeans though so there is that.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

It's almost impossible to pickpocket someone with a wallet in skinny jeans though so there is that.

I, too, read cracked dot com

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Jon Joe posted:

I, too, read cracked dot com

I'd like to hope that most people were capable of realizing that skinny jeans make it very hard to pickpocket you without a former pickpocket telling them this.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Hey neruz stop posting in my thread please, your posts are exceptionally bad and I also don't like you, and also you've posted in this thread more than I have if you don't count my lettuce play updates. Get help

Turn 45: Interruptions

Before I even took my turn(I had just looked at it quickly), I totally accidentally intercepted some top secret communications, since I'm a loving idiot!!

quote:

<modtop> .tell absum you should really script your blood hunters to cast leech or soething dude
<homero> modtop: I'll pass that along.
<skybot> modtop: I'll pass that along.
<modtop> wait i shouldnt tell him that.
* modtop is now known as abusm
* abusm is now known as absum
<absum> .
-homero- modtop said 0 minutes ago in #dom4goons: you should really script your blood hunters to cast leech or soething dude
<Hatwer> aaand i think by doing that, you just got a message that was not intended for you modpud
<Gender> because shes a giant fucker idiot rear end hole

He was right! We accidentally intercepted a message intended for Hinnom's player absum, from Hatwer, who plays Kailasa!

quote:

<skybot> Hatwer said 38 minutes ago in a pm: I apologize for the attack, but your temples and thrones are domkilling meee

Being a stupid giant fucker idiot rear end hole I didn't even know what game it was about, though.

quote:

<modtop> ya hatwer
<modtop> i passed it on in a PM
<Hatwer> was information i'd rather you not have but okay!
<modtop> o well. theres not much i can do about it
<modtop> i dont want to kill you in that game anyways
<Gender> ya there is
<Gender> its "not be a big fucker idiot rear end in a top hat intercepting tells"
<modtop> i mean about the information.
<modtop> wait
<modtop> i dotn even know what game its for
<modtop> i thought it was terrible life choices but its not.
<modtop> so
<Gender> its bad t hat you have not learned that doing that thing is a big fucker idiot rear end in a top hat move , from me doing the same thing and it being a big fucker idiot rear end in a top hat move when i did it
<modtop> and its not mangame, or domboobs
<modtop> so i dont think im even in that game hatwer
<Hatwer> no it was about sunshine
<Hatwer> where absum and i are neighbors
<modtop> oh. well i already saw your attack on him this turn
<modtop> so its whatever
<modtop> Gender fwiw i just broke my external hard drive case thing
<Gender> its a good thing fleur is not here, to ban me for calling you a big fucker idiot rear end in a top hat
<modtop> so i cant listen to music
<modtop> or access all my stuff on it
<Hatwer> the message also said "i'm dying to your domkill so i have to attack you" which are two things i'd rather you not have known
<Gender> owned
<Hatwer> but now it's out there so whatever
<modtop> hey man, youre the one putting it out there
<modtop> i wouldve kept it to myself!!
<Hatwer> you should have never had it in the first place
<Gender> imo put me repeatedly callign you a big dumb fucker rear end in a top hat and this whole thing into the lp
<modtop> i agree. its insanely unfortunate, that i sent a bad tell

Whoops! I'm basically a loving cheater idiot poo poo head. This entire lattice work has been compromised and the thread should be closed and I should be permabanned

I was so, so loving drunk when I took this turn. Let's go over some of the stuff that happened.

First off, our dakini raiders won every fight but one, where we lost a single dakini. The only notable battle from all that was this.

One of our dakinis killed a bunch of their blood hunters, Hinnom is using black hawks, a fairly cheap and efficient air summon, as patrollers. Flying units get a big bonus to patrolling, I think?

Kitfox has gone from using armies with no mage support, to using armies with mage support, to using mages with no army support. This is all probably on someone's spectrum chart somewhere. The Anointeds of Rhuax are slow to recruit, 425 gold, capital only mages. Anathement Dragons are 265 gold apiece. Do the math

This is the fight I talked about in the chat logs from the start of this update. I didn't actually take any screenshots of it because I'm a loving moron(and i didn't script ANY of our armies this turn, too) but this is Kailasa's pretender chassis.

His has astral 9 and air 9. He had a fairly effective communion going, with the gurus and yogis being communion slaves I think? They're astral 1 or 2 mages, which are fantastic for the whole communion slave, much like our raktapata.

The -1 ammi and killer mantis on Kailasa's side on the battle report are from one of his mages mind controlling them or whatever, I can't remember what spell it is exactly. Enslave, I think it's called?

Now, Hinnom's lands had some magic sites found. One in particular is sort of nice.

Construction bonuses are just flat discounts on forging items, so that's 20% off of everything, which stacks up pretty fast. I immediately start building a fort on it, if we can hold onto it for 4 turns we'll have a nice base of operations and a good place to forge magic items.

Here's the current state of our research. As you can see we've gone all over the loving place, including into some things that are pretty dubiously useful. After blood 8, we'll be hitting up thaumaturgy, up to 8, for some pretty important endgameish global spells, and I expect the game to pretty much be over by that point but there's still some neat stuff we can pick up afterwards. I'll go over important spells as they come up, probably.

This turn we're finally casting a global I would've liked to cast earlier, but it took until just now to do it. Mother oak, the nature gem-generating global Pangaea cast back when they were alive.

I've put quite a few gems into getting a caster powerful enough for this. Her base nature level was only 2.

Thistle maces are low-level nature boosters, needing only 2 nature to forge. I've made a few for just in case.

The armour of twisting thorns is a little higher level, requiring both blood and nature, and boosting both.

And finally, I had to empower her into astral using 50 of our astral pearls(not a big deal, since we get almost 30 at this point), but she forged herself the final booster she needed.

When casting a global, you can choose to put more gems into it than necessary, in order to make it harder to dispel. Gem generating globals generally aren't worth putting more than the minimum of gems into though.

At this point the game just felt like a gigantic slog to me, as I was just starting a new job with long hours, felt that I had probably already won, and despite this lettuce play being completely bare minimum and low effort it was still taking me like 4 times as long to take my turns!! So I was taking my turns drunker than usual and forgot to script all of our armies, including running our pretender straight towards a giant enemy army without any mage support. Whoops. Will she get murdered by a gigantic pile of evil goat men and jewish stereotypes? Tune in for the next episode of whatever, if you want to, I guess

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
What a beautiful series of cock-ups.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Alcohol - the great equaliser.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can attest that playing dom4 while hammered is asking for trouble because even in an AI game you'll start to forget a lot of the little things you should be doing to be successful, and dom4 is seriously all about the little things

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is this a lettuce cry for help?

NET WT 30 OZ
Apr 12, 2003

YES
why am I still reading this horrible poo poo

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I find sensible men's business slacks have absolutely gigantic pockets. I can fit a giant samsung phone and a wallet in the same pocket, or uh, probably a 32oz gatorade.

I'll never be stylish again, but I'm too old to care.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

NET WT 30 OZ posted:

Because it's great and you love it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

garth ferengi posted:

the thread should be closed and I should be permabanned

Not empty quoting.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

NET WT 30 OZ posted:

tell us how you really feel

Turn 46: Water's Edge

Sigh. One dakini lost to mind hunts.

Some more raiding. We did get one neat thing out of raiding this turn, though.

magus 1.png

An incredibly powerful magic site, located in Uliathum, north of Hinnom's capital. If we had gotten this early on we would probably be in a much better situation today, maguses are one of the best mages in the game, probably the best that isn't a national unit. I'm putting a ton of province defence on it and using my dakini to demolish the lab, so Hinnom can't use it even if they take it back.

It looks like they're just retreating back for a last stand at their capital. Being drunk and lazy, I'm not even scripting my advancing armies. I'll be putting a lab and fortress in Ultima Delca, which is in toad range of their capital, and contains that neat dutch oven site.

I'm also letting ilu xuande take over the siege of Abysia, he needs the room to maneuver and what little income there is.

This turn I asked flavahbeast what he needed to stay alive, and he said he needed 500 gold and 30 blood slaves.

Not a whole lot going on in the game now, it's starting to wind down. Hopefully more things happen later, it would be sad if this game just fizzled out.

We have a third of the thrones in the game, half of what we need to win. ilu xuande holds both the throne of bureaucracy(which he hasn't claimed, since it gives order and a large income penalty, which would hurt him quite badly) and the throne of knowledge, both of which I could probably convince him to give up if my victory is imminent. Unfortunately, due to the placement of the thrones in this game, we're going to need to control a huge portion of the map to actually win.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Do you need to hold thrones for a certain amount of time to win or is it as soon as you get enough its over GG?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

CongoJack posted:

Do you need to hold thrones for a certain amount of time to win or is it as soon as you get enough its over GG?

Instant win after they're claimed, which takes an H3 or pretender.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

wiegieman posted:

Instant win after they're claimed, which takes an H3 or pretender.

wrong. its win at the end of the turn they are claimed. claiming thrones comes very first in turn order and you can lose them again as result of magic combat, or regular combat, or random events, or special combat, which all come before victory, which is very last.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

jsoh posted:

wrong. its win at the end of the turn they are claimed. claiming thrones comes very first in turn order and you can lose them again as result of magic combat, or regular combat, or random events, or special combat, which all come before victory, which is very last.

Fine, instant win barring turn shenanigans. A teleporting or flying thug is probably not going to beat the army that just dunked a throne titan.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Did Gabriel Pope's LP not ever get archived? The one in the forums archive has no pictures.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

garth ferengi posted:

This turn I asked flavahbeast what he needed to stay alive, and he said he needed 500 gold and 30 blood slaves.

per turn

quote:

<Flavahbeast> Im probably boned regardless if ur takes my cap this turn but if not, I need 30 slaves and 500 gold/turn to put up meaningful resistance to kailurnomoria

At this point in the game I thought you were by far the largest nation, my only hope of victory was getting enough income to beat back Ur and Kailasa while also siphoning a nontrivial amount of resources from you, I wasn't really asking for resistance donations in good faith ;-*

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

Did Gabriel Pope's LP not ever get archived? The one in the forums archive has no pictures.

Gabriel's LP was hosted under waffleimages, the predecessor to LP images if I recall. Gabriel's LP ran on so long waffleimages started having problems and eventually went under, so most of the images are probably lost now.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

At this point in the game I thought you were by far the largest nation, my only hope of victory was getting enough income to beat back Ur and Kailasa while also siphoning a nontrivial amount of resources from you, I wasn't really asking for resistance donations in good faith ;-*

I was pretty sure you couldn't put up much resistance either way and was much more afraid of Hatwer and Nuclearmonkee honestly

I totally didn't realise that you said per turn though haha OOPS

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I'm just going to keep posting, the game isn't QUITE over but its pulse is weak

Turns 47 & 48: Bibo No Aozora

Our raids go just fine, mostly.

A single dakini lost to mind hunts, but everything else was successful. We've locked up their capital, denied them their magus site, taken their unforted cave throne,

and won a battle handily.

Abysia broke Fomoria's siege on their northern fort, and ilu xuande has taken over the siege of Abysia for us. Since the two of them are fighting one another, I'll be taking Abysia's other throne. Between Hinnom's thrones and Abysia's last throne, we'll only be 3-4 thrones away from victory. Assuming everything goes smoothly.

ilu xuande is also having trouble dealing with AI Pangaea.

This turn I also realised that our dakini sieging Hinnom's fortresses can reanimate ghouls, killing some of the population and giving us free chaff!

Turn 48

Very little happens, once again. I'm assuming Hinnom's army will be retaking their capital, and Kailasa's army will attack us. I don't want to fight it in order 3 dominion, though. I'll be dropping some toads to prepare a battlefield in anticipation of our fight.

We've come a long way in the last two years.

Our income is quadruple what it was when Pangaea attacked us at the start of year 3, and our gem income is similarly massive. We honestly cannot lose the game at this point without every single player left banding up against us. As it is I'm not too worried about the Kailasa/Ur/Hinnom alliance that seems to have formed.

I won't be fighting Hinnom with our main army until Kailasa's army has been crushed, and preferably their god slain.

I'm continuing to build temples, and will probably be building one or two more every turn until the end of the game. Aggressively pushing your dominion is extremely important, especially in the late game, for reasons that I'll hopefully be showing off soon.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

This is a good lp.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Man with Hat posted:

This is a good lp.

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to blaze it... I must simply laugh!!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Garth how does it feel that you can list one of your life's accomplishments as "first person to complete somethingawful lp of Dominions 4"?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Garth how does it feel that you can list one of your life's accomplishments as "first person to complete somethingawful lp of Dominions 4"?

Don't jinx it!

Naxos
Apr 26, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Don't jinx it!

Seriously - saying something like that before the final turn is posted is pretty much asking for Garth's hard drive to explode and take everything with it, given how most dominions LPs play out.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Naxos posted:

Seriously - saying something like that before the final turn is posted is pretty much asking for Garth's hard drive to explode and take everything with it, given how most dominions LPs play out.

There was a time when you could have just said "most LPs". Ahhh, the good old days.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Donkringel posted:

its ok

Turns 49 & 50: Aishiteru, Aishitenai

Kailasa's army is advancing. I'm storming Hinnom's southernmost fortress to be a temporary base, and moving a trio of dakini to that mountain fortress, since I started building a fortress on it and would rather not lose it.

We are slowly, accidentally domkilling ilu xuande. He doesn't have the gold to afford temples like we can, and doesn't control as many thrones as us, and his dominion is suffering for it. I'm sending him 2000 gold, I don't want to be attacked by him at this point in time.

My troop scripting is very lazy at this point, mostly because I'm having a breakdown. If any of this gets posted, it'll be a miracle. I'd like to apologise for the low amount of content in these turns, there just isn't a whole lot going on. Yomi is in a stalemate with Fomoria, Abysia broke Yomi's siege, Hinnom has been retreating, Ur is slowly killing Ulm, and now Kailasa is slowly advancing towards us.

Turn 50

Flavahbeast, Ulm, has gone AI. I've been told that he gave all of his things to Kailasa and Ur, which makes things slightly more difficult for us.

Here is the complete map of the world right now. We control, as you can see, much more than anyone else.

Kailasa and Hinnom have agreed to fight us at Lost Canyon Range in 2 turns. We'll be fighting, and hopefully crushing, both of them, one after the other. It'll take a lot more preparation than any of our previous battles, and I'm not sure if we can win against Kailasa's army alone.

If you look at the province Kark in the south, you can see that AI Ulm has immediately started attacking us, when Ur is the much bigger threat to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

whoops i totally triple posted on accident

• Locked thread