Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Godspeed, endgame content-creator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Olesh posted:

Could you expand on this a bit more? It's not really clear to me why this was impressive.

One part of this that is important to understand is that there's a specific order to the actions that happen during a turn, notably all moves done by spells happen first, and retreat actions all happen after battles, so there was 0 chance that NM's troops would be able to safely retreat. At a deeper level, the cool part (to me) is that this strategy was built intentionally around what modpud new about NM, which is a great reaction to knowing your opponent.

At a sort of conceptual level, NM's troops retreated into a completely empty province (because the horrors had dissipated by the time they made the retreat), but they still died. Apparently of embarassment?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
They retreated into an empty province but it was one they didn't own. Since they didn't own the province all the troops just instantly died upon trying to enter it because that is how retreating works in the world of Dominions.

Even flying and teleporting units will die if they cannot walk, on foot, to an adjacent friendly province upon retreat.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's not so much they die
as go "Nope, we're done Pankoraptor. I'm off to join the circus!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

garth ferengi posted:

skeletons dot pee en gee

Temporally summoned in battle stuff counts in this graph?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
No, Garth has been using her demon priests to reanimate chaff since about turn 4.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Temporally summoned in battle stuff counts in this graph?

Lanka's skeletons are of the "animated by priests and stay permanently (until dying like the chaff they are)" variety, aren't they?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Speaking of burying the world under skeletons did they ever fix the rng so there was a chance they'd roll double 10s and actually be able to hurt anything?

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
Is there any real endgame counter to Astral Corruption + Send Horror? It's kind of hard to tell because it looks like garth pretty much had the game in the bag the moment her armies crushed Pan but I'm curious what other crazy poo poo people can pull at the top end of the tech tree and how it stacks up.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Lanka's skeletons are of the "animated by priests and stay permanently (until dying like the chaff they are)" variety, aren't they?

Oh. I just woke up.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

generally the only real way to counter powerful poo poo in dominions is to bring out your own powerful poo poo and see if you can out-damage your opponent before they can damage you enough to basically hamstring your forces and roll over whatever you have left

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Hermetian posted:

Is there any real endgame counter to Astral Corruption + Send Horror? It's kind of hard to tell because it looks like garth pretty much had the game in the bag the moment her armies crushed Pan but I'm curious what other crazy poo poo people can pull at the top end of the tech tree and how it stacks up.

Not that I am aware of, I can't think of any reliable way to fight people who can throw 4 or more Send Horrors a turn without dispelling Astral Corruption. If SC's hadn't gotten nerfed then maybe a fully geared Tart would be able to fight horror spam and maybe win but I'm not at all sure about that.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

generally the only real way to counter powerful poo poo in dominions is to bring out your own powerful poo poo and see if you can out-damage your opponent before they can damage you enough to basically hamstring your forces and roll over whatever you have left

The problem is that nothing out damages doom horrors. If a few doom horrors show up in a fight then unless one of them is Kurgi and he decides to take everyone and go home you are hosed.

Even normal Send Horror spam is pretty powerful; 4 guys casting Send Horror outside of AC will wipe out most armies, especially in Magic dom. But when about a third of the horrors are Doom Horrors that is pretty much just good game.

Having a bunch of astral mages cast horror marks on the horrors so they attack each other might work, I don't actually know if horrors can be horror marked.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 8, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dispelling AC is your best bet. And/or replacing it with other globals. Though I think AC uses blood slaves, which tend to be more easily obtained than gems. AC is a giant gently caress you to everyone else. Though it also paints a giant target on you, so you've got to be ready to fight the whole world when you throw it out. AC is probably the most powerful of the Globals though.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Dispelling AC is your best bet. And/or replacing it with other globals. Though I think AC uses blood slaves, which tend to be more easily obtained than gems. AC is a giant gently caress you to everyone else. Though it also paints a giant target on you, so you've got to be ready to fight the whole world when you throw it out. AC is probably the most powerful of the Globals though.

Dispelling is not a bet at all as they will just put it back immediately unless you manage to also kill their blood econ, which is very hard post blood8 as blood mages are superb at killing lone thugs and anything more than that is going to get horrored. If they have an uninterrupted blood econ and can afford AC/horror spam you have in most cases already lost. The real solution is to never never never let a nation with SB get a strong foothold, particularly one with extremely strong RP generation like Ulm. If you see magic 3 the situation is even more urgent and you have no choice but to kill or cripple this player in the early to midgame.

In this game's case, Lanka is already in a commanding position and has the luxury to leverage a super blood economy into a horror engine with simple pearl alchemization. This is of course a thing that any blood nation can do however it is cost prohibitive to do effectively unless they have a truly massive economy and gem income.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Nuclearmonkee posted:

In this game's case, Lanka is already in a commanding position and has the luxury to leverage a super blood economy into a horror engine with simple pearl alchemization. This is of course a thing that any blood nation can do however it is cost prohibitive to do effectively unless they have a truly massive economy and gem income.

Am I misreading this, or can you convert blood slaves to pearls through Alchemy, because that makes no sense.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Patrick Spens posted:

Am I misreading this, or can you convert blood slaves to pearls through Alchemy, because that makes no sense.

MAGIC Perals.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Patrick Spens posted:

The implication is that Blood Magic is basically sacrificing blood slaves and using the magic of the blood to cast the spells, so presumably instead of using alchemy to convert the form of one gem to another type you just kill some people and use your evil powers to call new gems into existence using the power of the sacrifices.

What would really be hard to explain is converting other gems into virgins.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Turning other gems into virgins is the only form of alchemy that might work in the real world.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

The End: Untouchable

Turn 59

Yomi has broken the skeleton siege of their capital with a million spooky ghosts. I think we might be outmatched.

Abysia's dominion has been wiped clean. Across the world, people report that they are suffering from a little less indigestion.

The last throne we need to claim is in Ermithia. Our pretender is currently up north in Dun Vale, teleporting down south to the throne. I also turned a spooky vampire assassin in Rivia, over to the east, into our new prophet, and have already had him claim the throne in Rivia. He'll fly west to claim the final throne just in case our pretender gets eaten by a horror, since casting ritual spells like teleport has a chance of triggering a horror attack.

:effort:

Turn 60

Fomoria has gone AI. It's just us. How lonely

I was wrong about the amount of thrones we needed

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
What nation are you going to play next?

What, this isn't a megathread? Dead LP.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Truly, the endgame of Dominions in a nutshell.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

You alchemize all of your other gems into pearls and use those to empower blood mages in astral so that they can cast send horror.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You alchemize all of your other gems into pearls and use those to empower blood mages in astral so that they can cast send horror.

Ah, thank you.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
gg wp, nice to see a successful Dominions LP.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Araganzar posted:

What nation are you going to play next?

What, this isn't a megathread? Dead LP.

I have some things in the works maybe but they won't be posted for at least a month probably

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
This was a lot of fun to read. Thank you!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if i make my late age asphodel nation between then and now you should totes run an lp with them

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

What, I have never seen a Dom LP end like this.

Liar. show us the real ending!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
This was a fun LP. Thanks for making it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I just wish that Dominions wasn't a game that pretty much always ends in a whimper.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
You finished a Dominions LP. :sparkles:

There must be a prize or something for this.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yup. AC seams that they're less useful anyhow since casting or forging anything will get you horror marked and inevitably eaten regardless, so once AC is up, alchemising everything to pearls has less of an opportunity cost.

The fact that a lot of the time your mages use slaves instead of pearls helps.

As for counters to Blood Economies. the only other two that come to mind are Utterdark and Two suns.

aka kill all their pops. Of course, that kills all YOUR pop too. So eh.
Not letting them set it up in the first place is a better strat.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

senrath posted:

I just wish that Dominions wasn't a game that pretty much always ends in a whimper.

It is a little lame, but props to modpud for sticking this one out. It has certain demonstrated the power of Arcane Corruption + Send Horror to me (I have heard it was powerful and understood why in theory but haven't actually ever seen it put into practice), even if she did already have a major advantage by the time it went up. I learned something and it was an interesting read.

I had been saving screenshots and notes on one of the newbie games I was involved in to do a retroactive Let's Play, but then I realized towards the end that roughly 90% of my fighting was against the AI. While I still made some amusing newbie mistakes, I don't find it terribly compelling gameplay and it'd be lame to write it out, I think!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Congrats on finishing it!

Though it was more a whimper than another thing. Ops I was wrong with the number of thrones, I just won!
I think you played with throne condition not really adjusted.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Now lp dadjokes

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I want another DOM LP, I hunger, run coward! With a bigger map and more oceans separating players on islands till the end game is a turbo magic clusterfuck.

Congratulations on finishing your DOM LP!

Lektor
May 1, 2013
wait what?! a dominions lp that actually finished with the lp'er winning? madness!

Thanks for the great read

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Now we just need an lp where the person goes down fighting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

senrath posted:

This is basically every great 4x game ever made, though. You eventually reach a point where victory is inevitable except for the tedious and :effort: part of actually squashing the life out of your defeated opponents. The challenging and fun part is getting to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Kanos posted:

This is basically every great 4x game ever made, though. You eventually reach a point where victory is inevitable except for the tedious and :effort: part of actually squashing the life out of your defeated opponents. The challenging and fun part is getting to that point.

Yeah, but it seems to me like Dominions hits that point sooner than other games.

• Locked thread