Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Jeez, Fomoria has a lot of territory. I'm assuming it's less valuable for being sea territory but still.

How many throne points are you at? Does it seem viable to swipe somebody's throne for the win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sea provinces are definitely worth less overall but they come with the benefit of being loving hard to attack if your enemy isn't a nation that has easy waterbreathing access

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

You are the best lettuce player.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Teledahn posted:

You are the best lettuce player.

thank'

Turn 38: Pounding At My Heart

Here we go.

Our mages heroically start the fight by casting leech on this stupid fucker's dogges.

And then since he's out of range for leech they immediately go off script and start casting stupid things like raise dead and summon imps.

It starts to work.

Eventually he hits the 50 turn limit and is forced to flee, since he couldn't defeat the unending tide of demons and zombies and skeletons.

Since he has nowhere to flee, he dies. The underwater division is storming his final fort, and that will be it. No more Niefelheim. Once a player is wiped out, all of their dominion candles disappear too, so we'll be able to spread our dominion pretty thoroughly from this region.

I'm going to be attacking Abysia next turn. This turn I'm dropping like a million toads on that throne south of their capital, next turn I'll drop toads on their capital itself. They probably have another fortress or two north that I can't see, but I'm not worried about it. I've finished all the research I need for this invasion, I don't think we'll have too much trouble.

I claimed this throne last turn, it was the one next to Mictlan's capital.

These mages aren't super great or anything(I'll be recruiting them forever anyways) but the 200 gold and dominion spread from the throne itself is incredibly useful.

I had a scout in Abysia's capital that was discovered this turn. Let's see what he saw.

This is like 60-75 points of province defence. It's so much that it brought my laptop to a screeching halt. loving Kitfox. This is a waste of upwards of 3000(?) gold on his part, and our forces will probably be able to take care of it with few casualties.

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 18, 2014

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
All that time researching leach and it was spam that did in the giant. Fuckups that work are the best fuckups of all. That's what my parents always told me!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Donkringel posted:

All that time researching leach and it was spam that did in the giant. Fuckups that work are the best fuckups of all. That's what my parents always told me!

The true Dominions experience.

The greatest lettuce play.
Well, besides buildscharacter in the Turkeycrime LP

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

namad
Nov 7, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

I don't think I've read that one, did it make it onto the archives?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

namad posted:

I don't think I've read that one, did it make it onto the archives?

Like many Dom3 Lettuce Plays, it was never completed. But, it should be linked on the LP Master List and I think on the Dom 4 Games thread LP. It is an interesting story and the ultimate reason for pushing any S chassis to AT LEAST 6S.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
If we're talking about the same LP, it did, in fact, end, and is available in the LP Archive.

http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3-%28by-Lilli-et-al%29/

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
And it was awesome, Butterball's the best Wereturkey God-Slayer Hero ever.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Lilli did that again in the duel LP with TheDemon; shame that one never finished.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

The game is really on its way out now so I'm going to keep posting

Turn 39: Love and Hate

The fall of Niefelheim?

Nope. grammas 2spooky

I'm just going to have to send some real forces to finish them off

I'm finally attacking Abysia. I spent almost an hour scripting our forces for this fight(communions are loving horrible and tedious to work with) and I was terrified that the scripting would totally break and not work at all so I didn't take a screenshot of any of it because I was so embarassed about its possible failure.

I'm attacking the Annunaki of the Sky for the third time! I'm both more and much less prepared for it this time around. Hopefully it doesn't fail, I've put a lot of gold and quite a few gems into this. Not as many as the previous attempt, though.

The next turn will probably be full of tears and embarassment

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

garth ferengi posted:

dominions.txt

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

garth ferengi posted:

I was secretly waiting for that for some time :P. In your first turns it seemed like you had a rough start, but somehow through poor attention of your enemies? they let you grow and even conquest a few nations. It's time for them to react to your mighty forces.

Now maybe I'm wrong here and the tears will come from some other player :P

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
TBH, just resending those same forces might be enough to take the grandmas: without having already lost some dudes to the chaff and Skrattir you'll probably not route before getting to them.

Edit: N/m, you will need to re-seige the gates anyway.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 18, 2014

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
If you actually finish this Dominions LP it will be like the 3rd ever start to finish Dom LP.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The trick is to just do it your drat self instead of trying to get multiple perspectives.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Not everybody can be Gabriel Pope. Gabriel Pope sounds like a pretty good pretender name, now that I think about it...

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I'm probably going to finish it because the game is almost over and I've written most of it in advance

I made a mini lettuce play but it doesnt have any words and might be difficult to understand and also i posted it in another thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568182&pagenumber=171#post435090111

Also also there's an internet relay chat channel that a lot of people use called #dom4goons on "synirc" if people did not already know. its sort of cool sometimes, when there arent super lovely and gross people around

e: Actually there was a point in time not too long ago where I was about to go AI in the game and quit posting the lettuce play but i just did other things instead. it was like turn 51 or something

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 19, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

"...and I've written most of it in advance"

This is key, writing it as it happens, because it's when you are interested in what was happening. If you wait three weeks to write it, you can lose interest about the whole thing.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Writing long after the fact also gives us a skewed version of events - things become more deterministic. Even fully educated historians suffer from this, so for a strategy-based LP it's important to write down the details as they happen, with the perspective and plans of the moment. Otherwise you can write it all up as a retrospective but then you tend to do several turns at a time and lump it all together, only focusing on the big things. It's two very different ways of doing a LP but you can't switch from one to the other without the quality and coherency suffering.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turn 40: Sweet Revenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TIqyOvartU

Since this is the first real large battle that has required significant scripting effort on my part and that actually involves battle magic on a largeish scale, I figured I'd just make it a video.

There is so much new poo poo that I've shown off in this update that I have no idea how to go about talking about it.

First off, all those mages of mine casting "Sabbath Master" and "Sabbath Slave". Those are communion spells. Communions are when a bunch of mages all pool their powers together to cast bigger, more powerful spells, with the masters being the ones doing the casting and the slaves being the ones who take the fatigue hits from the spells being cast(and eventually dying if pushed too hard). Only 2 magic paths have access to a communion master/slave spell, astral and blood. The blood variant requires sacrificing a blood slave, like most blood spells, but they're otherwise functionally identical(and can be mixed and matched with no issues).

Second, this is the first battle where I've cast battlefield enchantments. The ones I used in this particular battle were rain, storm, and wailing winds. Let's see what they do!

Rain is gently caress fire magic, the spell. It's incredibly bullshit, and incredibly easy to cast. I spent something like 80 water gems empowering our pretender into water so she could cast this and be sort of useful in battle.

Storm lets our air mages cast summon storm power, which makes them powerful enough to cast thunder strike on their own without being part of a communion. It also supposedly stacks with rain as far as loving with fire magic, which is great. gently caress fire magic

Wailing Winds is incredible. Morale is probably the single most important statistic on a unit, and finding ways to reduce it or force more morale checks is a pretty great way to win a battle.

There's one more that I would've cast if I had had the research for it.

You know how I wasted a whole turn in that battle having our mages casting aim to buff their own precision before casting thunder strike? Well, wind guide is pretty easy to cast and gives the effects of aim to our entire army, for just a single air gem.

Now, back to how our army was scripted. I had 2 masters, a Raksharaja and Dakini, scripted to cast Reinvigoration every turn.

Communions are weird as poo poo. Any personal buffs a master casts are automatically transferred to every slave in the communion. So every time Reinvigoration was cast it was removing fatigue from every single slave too, preventing any of them from dying.

One more thing that I did was set a yogini to cast communion master, personal regeneration, and then communion slave.

So she gave every single one of our slaves 10% health regeneration(which helps to keep them alive when they're being pushed pretty hard) on top of becoming one of the communion slaves herself! Very useful. The slaves in a communion are paralysed, unable to attack or defend themselves or move or cast spells or anything. In dominions 3 they were free to do whatever, which meant that a lot of the more powerful strategies revolved around having a communion caster cast a ton of powerful self buffs that would then transfer to some thug slaves who would proceed to beat the hell out of the enemy. It sounds dumb as hell and I'm glad it hasn't existed since I started to play the game.

Also, I did not know there was music in this game! I've had the sound off entirely since day 1 of playing it. Now that we have all heard it I can turn it off again, forever.

Thunder Strike, our primary offensive spell in that battle, is one of the more popular battle spells in the game.

It costs a huge amount of fatigue and requires a fairly powerful(air 3) mage to cast it, but it does immense damage, is fairly accurate, and fatigues anyone near the area it hits. I don't think it's as overpowered or as big a deal as some people make it out to be, but it is very very good.

If anyone has any more questions on what the hell was going on in that battle, please ask and I or one of the many sort of helpful posters in this thread will probably give a slightly inadequate answer to it!

In a normal game a lot of these mechanics would just slowly come up one by one, but I'm loving garbage at this game so I had to go and make them all come up all at once with a single battle very far into the game.

We lost a single Dakini in the battle because she decided to thunder strike a pile of our rakshasa warriors, and blood blesses don't gently caress around.

Nenhaboa has a real fortress on it, so it'll take more than a single turn to breach it.

ilu xuande happened to attack Abysia at the same time as us, which is pretty great, considering that we haven't really been in contact for awhile. Our bodies are just completely in sync.

I'm planning on taking just that southern throne and some of the provinces near it, leaving everything else to ilu, assuming Abysia doesn't just throw everything it has at me(which it probably will, since their player maybe holds a grudge against me after the time he got really upset over having been killed by me for the 6th time in a row and then called me a slur. Diplomatic failures!!).

My real target here is Hinnom and maybe Ulm, I'd like to leave Abysia and Fomoria to ilu.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'd like to request a clarification: there's only one communion per side going on in a battle, so every one of your communion masters is tapping into every communion slave at once, correct?
Under this assumption, you set up your masters to spam Thunder Strike with Reinvigoration sprinkled in every now and then; you also used a throwaway mage to give every slave Regen just in case, before switching him/her to a slave because he couldn't cast Thunder Strike.

Did I get the general idea right?

EDIT: plus a shitload of fiddly scripting to make everything go smoothly I assume, I'm not asking for the gory details.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yes. It takes relatively few slaves to boost mages into TStriking power, so you can have a really big force of Masters powered by 4+ slaves, if you can manage the fatigue/damage so you slaves don't explode. This lets you bring maximum firepower to bear.

Boosting for high-path spells like Master Enslave is pretty much the opposite.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I learned a lot about communions today.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Speleothing posted:

Yes. It takes relatively few slaves to boost mages into TStriking power, so you can have a really big force of Masters powered by 4+ slaves, if you can manage the fatigue/damage so you slaves don't explode. This lets you bring maximum firepower to bear.

Boosting for high-path spells like Master Enslave is pretty much the opposite.

What is the ideal ratio of masters and slaves in this type of communion? Reverse communions were a pain in the rear end to script but I'm going to miss them.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Angry Lobster posted:

What is the ideal ratio of masters and slaves in this type of communion? Reverse communions were a pain in the rear end to script but I'm going to miss them.

It depends on the communion. For battlemagic you're generally going for a 'turbo communion', that meaning as few slaves and as many masters as possible. Generally 1-2 slaves per master is okay to shoot for - remember that every master is putting fatigue on *all* slaves - and that slaves take different amounts of fatigue based on their paths relative to the masters'. Buffs help hugely in turbo communions, as fatigue does damage at a rate of 1 per 10 fat past 200, so with regen and reinvig a regular 10hp human mage can go from taking 100 extra fatigue to far more.

For big fuckoff master enslave/undead mastery/etc spells, generally you want the minimum number of mans necessary for the boost as at those levels of boost you're going to have a ton of slaves regardless. Boosting a path by 3 is 8 slaves, which is enough to absorb fatigue for at least two massive battlefield spells before they all die, given human slaves with no buffs.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

As few as makes sense. It depends on the slaves' ability to soak the fatigue and the damage. I would probably end up with about an equal number of slaves and masters if I were looking to make a Tstrike communion. But the closer you get, the more likely you are to accidentally blow up your slaves. A battle that lasts too long is really dangerous for any sort of communion, whether you're running tight on slaves or not.

I've got an MA Pythium game going where I'm running n9e4 bless communions for Tstrike and Stellar Cascades and I end up with about 4 masters per 3 slaves. Mixing in stellar cascades lets the slaves accumulate less fatigue and I can run a tighter communion, both because it's only 20/cast and they can use their own S path to further reduce the individual fatigue.

Having slaves join later on in the scripting is also helpful, because they can cast a few rounds of buffs before joining to take some of the load off the other slaves who may be at 100+ fatigue already.

Edit: Turbo Communions (high regen/reinvig on few slaves) showed up fairly late in the Dom3 meta, because Reverse Communions (few masters buff a bunch of slaves) were so powerful that most people tended to think of the slaves as the primary casters. In Dom4 the "Turbo" is pretty much the standard communion setup.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 20, 2014

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Then there are linebacker communions, where a crystal matrix on something with 200 hp and regen can go a long way.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speleothing posted:

I've got an MA Pythium game going where I'm running n9e4 bless communions for Tstrike and Stellar Cascades and I end up with about 4 masters per 3 slaves. Mixing in stellar cascades lets the slaves accumulate less fatigue and I can run a tighter communion, both because it's only 20/cast and they can use their own S path to further reduce the individual fatigue.

If you're MA Pythium why the hell aren't you using communicants for slaves?

wiegieman posted:

Then there are linebacker communions, where a crystal matrix on something with 200 hp and regen can go a long way.

If you're one of the very few nations that can easily make Crystal Matrices and also have access to decent SCs this actually works surprisingly well.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
How does a Crystal Matrix helps a SC?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Kanthulhu posted:

How does a Crystal Matrix helps a SC?

they mean you use a slave matrix on some poor bastard with 200 hp and regen, i think.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

jsoh posted:

they mean you use a slave matrix on some poor bastard with 200 hp and regen, i think.

It's like in X-Men days of future past, when they use Wolverine to go back in time because the process is so destructive to the brain.

Except wolverine is potentially a giant plant or squid.

Also, I remember now why the Lilli super LP seemed like it petered out. I'm rereading it right now and like *everybody* quit on a cliff hanger except one guy.

Lilli's turns:
I see Arco
Arco attacks!
Turkey Squad
Arco's communions... What will I do?!
** end **

Arco's turns:
I'm too big to fail!
Oh poo poo, jaguars
Hey, eat hot virtue.
Oh god turkeys
I'm making a communion!
** end **

Pan's turns:
Oh poo poo, Sauromatia.
Oh poo poo, Arco.
Oh poo poo, Mictlan.
I'm starting to infiltrate my forces...
** end **

Tien Chi quits right on the eve of a major battle with pan.

If not for that one guy, it really would have been a dead lp.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Neruz posted:

If you're MA Pythium why the hell aren't you using communicants for slaves?

I have both. Also communicants can't research or forge.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It's like in X-Men days of future past, when they use Wolverine to go back in time because the process is so destructive to the brain.

Except wolverine is potentially a giant plant or squid.

Also, I remember now why the Lilli super LP seemed like it petered out. I'm rereading it right now and like *everybody* quit on a cliff hanger except one guy.

Lilli's turns:
I see Arco
Arco attacks!
Turkey Squad
Arco's communions... What will I do?!
** end **

Arco's turns:
I'm too big to fail!
Oh poo poo, jaguars
Hey, eat hot virtue.
Oh god turkeys
I'm making a communion!
** end **

Pan's turns:
Oh poo poo, Sauromatia.
Oh poo poo, Arco.
Oh poo poo, Mictlan.
I'm starting to infiltrate my forces...
** end **

Tien Chi quits right on the eve of a major battle with pan.

If not for that one guy, it really would have been a dead lp.

Gabriel Pope's LP is both the best and worst LP, best for being a unique perspective (omniscience) on an insane game, worst for creating a norm where Dominions LP seems to be conflated with Rashomon-style storytelling. The one perspective style is both 1)more likely to actually finish 2)help preserve the mystery of 'do they actually have all the poo poo i think they have.'

Kudos to garth for turning the "I can't LP a live Dom game, people will know my strategy~!!!!" problem on its head.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

garth ferengi posted:

Turn 40: Sweet Revenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TIqyOvartU

Since this is the first real large battle that has required significant scripting effort on my part and that actually involves battle magic on a largeish scale, I figured I'd just make it a video.

Bah I was hoping for a good fight. More than double the army size and Pretender present and well researched counter-magic meant it was decided before started.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Bah I was hoping for a good fight. More than double the army size and Pretender present and well researched counter-magic meant it was decided before started.
That's Dominions for you.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

jBrereton posted:

That's Dominions for you.

It's to bad we don't have a Dominions version of :xcom:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Speleothing posted:

I have both. Also communicants can't research or forge.

Communicants really should be foreign recruit with a temple.

• Locked thread