Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Eschatos posted:

Idle commander button was definitely in Dom 3 also.

Maybe.... If they patched it in right before Dom4 released. But the "Wait" command is super-new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

drat, there's a lot of blood powers (and blood minors) in this game.

Lanka, Mictlan, Niefelheim, Hinnom, Pangaea, and even Abyssia

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Fortunately attack spells have limited ranges in this game, making it hard for an enemy's cap-only mages to spam attacks at lots of enemy provinces.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Maybe it's just me, but Astral is common enough on Gygjas that I would be very reluctant to mind hunt Niefel. Though I guess you can toss that artifact on any random commander.

Edit: he must think you have crystal mages or the Iron Order or something once he starts getting messages about mental attacks.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yeah, that was a pretty solid crumple on Neifel's part.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Angerboda is a pretty sweet mage: with level 2 or 3 in all four of the sorceries. Excellent for site searching, rituals, and forging boosters for your lesser mages.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Garth modpud is waiting for new turns so that the buffer doesn't get eaten away.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

You actually could assign commanders to blood hunt in water provinces in Dom3, if you used the keyboard shortcut instead of the dropdown menu. I'm assuming that was fixed in Dom4 but I haven't tried

I checked yesterday because of this thread.

You can't.

But in Dom3 I didn't realize this was a bug and you weren't meant to be able to until after I had modded a UW blood nation. Because who the gently caress clicks "Blood Hunt" instead of shift+B?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

garth ferengi posted:

I am not sober

Never be.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

TBH, just resending those same forces might be enough to take the grandmas: without having already lost some dudes to the chaff and Skrattir you'll probably not route before getting to them.

Edit: N/m, you will need to re-seige the gates anyway.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 18, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The trick is to just do it your drat self instead of trying to get multiple perspectives.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yes. It takes relatively few slaves to boost mages into TStriking power, so you can have a really big force of Masters powered by 4+ slaves, if you can manage the fatigue/damage so you slaves don't explode. This lets you bring maximum firepower to bear.

Boosting for high-path spells like Master Enslave is pretty much the opposite.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

As few as makes sense. It depends on the slaves' ability to soak the fatigue and the damage. I would probably end up with about an equal number of slaves and masters if I were looking to make a Tstrike communion. But the closer you get, the more likely you are to accidentally blow up your slaves. A battle that lasts too long is really dangerous for any sort of communion, whether you're running tight on slaves or not.

I've got an MA Pythium game going where I'm running n9e4 bless communions for Tstrike and Stellar Cascades and I end up with about 4 masters per 3 slaves. Mixing in stellar cascades lets the slaves accumulate less fatigue and I can run a tighter communion, both because it's only 20/cast and they can use their own S path to further reduce the individual fatigue.

Having slaves join later on in the scripting is also helpful, because they can cast a few rounds of buffs before joining to take some of the load off the other slaves who may be at 100+ fatigue already.

Edit: Turbo Communions (high regen/reinvig on few slaves) showed up fairly late in the Dom3 meta, because Reverse Communions (few masters buff a bunch of slaves) were so powerful that most people tended to think of the slaves as the primary casters. In Dom4 the "Turbo" is pretty much the standard communion setup.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 20, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Neruz posted:

If you're MA Pythium why the hell aren't you using communicants for slaves?

I have both. Also communicants can't research or forge.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The manual/remote debate can get heated. I prefer remote because I am lazy as poo poo.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Naxos posted:

Seriously - saying something like that before the final turn is posted is pretty much asking for Garth's hard drive to explode and take everything with it, given how most dominions LPs play out.

There was a time when you could have just said "most LPs". Ahhh, the good old days.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Communion Slaves exploding like that is hilarious. The armies of Kailasa had already routed and your Masters just kept on summoning more skeletons.

Then pop pop pop pop pop

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

AfroSquirrel posted:

Communions are basically magical suicide pacts.

I prefer to imagine it going this way:

"Okay, I'll help you in this battle, but you have to swear not to overload my mind, I'm trusting you."

"Of course I'll take care of you, you're my buddy. Oh poo poo! Need more skeletons, just one more batch to drown those fuckers in a sea of bones! Hahahagahagahaha"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

Can someone expand on this? Are mages casting from inside a fort immune to Astral Corruption then?

No, just Sent horrors. Whom like all non-assassin remote-attack spells will attack the outside of the fort.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Send Horror is not an easy spell to cast. To be able to throw it around like this requires significant resource investment, but simplifies your lategame time investment greatly.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

scalded schlong posted:

What's the benefit of Enkidu shamen over Panii? The lack of slow-to-recruit and the recruit-outside-forts thing, or is there something else I'm missing?

They're 50g cheaper apiece and only need a lab to recruit, which also saves you money. They also have better E access for combat with a fair chance of getting N4s anyway in case you wanted to access globals.

Edit: This is compared to the EA Pans

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 7, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

No, Garth has been using her demon priests to reanimate chaff since about turn 4.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The problem with that approach is that it leads to people losing without having lost. IE, they feel like they were cheated out of a winning position because the game ended too early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Glazius posted:

It really seems like the thrones contribute to the snowball effect a little more, since most of them end up with innate buffs and such.

And the ones that don't (usually negative scales or bad events), you just hold off on capping until the last moment.

• Locked thread