Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

amuayse posted:

From my experience, the Annuaki of the Sky tends to always cast Arrow Fend followed by spamming Phantasmal Army. He also uses Orb Lightning if you get too close.
Illwinter addressed some of the more questionable Throne Defender casting AI and gave them a hardcoded list of spells instead of spamming stupid stuff like fire flies and flying shards.
PS: Bring along a Void Eye.

Just recently in another goon game I saw a 130ish unit army get wiped out by a much smaller army led by the Annunaki of the Sky guarding a throne because it cast Fog Warriors on its first turn and then proceeded to spam Living Clouds. It was absolutely brutal.

I'll cheer our Devi of Darkness on here, but it could go very badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

If I love you is talking about FRONTHAND, I also think he's overstating the case quite a bit, to be fair. I am the player in question, and yes, that was literally the first goon game I signed up for, and while I made quite a few mistakes I don't think the metagame decision to attack him was the wrong one. I'd certainly make it again, at any rate! And while the game is kinda dead in the water now, I don't think it was such a forgone conclusion that we could declare a winner, certainly I had not yet lost all my troops and mages as (I lost one group of them, most were safely inside unbreached, unseiged forts) and still had a few tricks left that may not have been enough to win on its own, but I certainly could have still fought quite a bit. I knew when making the decision I was essentially the distraction and I willingly accepted that role, because I figured I'll likely cripple my long-term position, but in that case I'll get out of a game where I made terrible scale/pretender decisions, and if it does somehow go my way, well, I fully intend to play it out. I certainly would've fought all the way until my last fort was breached!

If there was a metagame decision I do regret, it was giving away 2000 gold so easily.

garth ferengi posted:

Turn 18: I Will See You In Far Off Places

Pangaea was the only person to send someone to the arena, so they got the reward automatically.

Winning by default is the best kind of victory

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

garth ferengi posted:

(this was even after the patch where illwinter said that artifacts couldn't be gained from events. lol)

I thought about asking about that but it seemed pointless as it clearly happened.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrower posted:

What size of map and number of players do most multiplayer games go for? The complexity of like four players on a small map starts ramping up quickly after year 2, and some of those map options in the menu have 200+ map squares and support a ton of players. I just spent 2 hours getting my rear end kicked by the AI and the tedium with organizing wizards and moving troops and assigning them all orders to avoid getting trashed by hordes of fliers was quickly mounting.

The game involves a lot of micromanagement and it tends to scale up with larger map sizes. Probably better to start small for your first few games, on a map that supports 3-4 players or so.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Ctrl-Shift-Click with a commander with the "Pillage" skill and possibly some other ones? It's like a remote pillage order. Kills pop, gets some gold.

You'll maybe thank me later, I dunno, never use it because it was completely broken in an early iteration of the game. Apparently amazing if you give Caelan commanders Implementor Axes, though. Completely gut provinces from a huge distance.

Wasn't someone saying this was currently busted because you couldn't catch flying raiders with patrollers? I don't know if that's true or not but it'd be pretty dumb if so.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Temporally summoned in battle stuff counts in this graph?

Lanka's skeletons are of the "animated by priests and stay permanently (until dying like the chaff they are)" variety, aren't they?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

senrath posted:

I just wish that Dominions wasn't a game that pretty much always ends in a whimper.

It is a little lame, but props to modpud for sticking this one out. It has certain demonstrated the power of Arcane Corruption + Send Horror to me (I have heard it was powerful and understood why in theory but haven't actually ever seen it put into practice), even if she did already have a major advantage by the time it went up. I learned something and it was an interesting read.

I had been saving screenshots and notes on one of the newbie games I was involved in to do a retroactive Let's Play, but then I realized towards the end that roughly 90% of my fighting was against the AI. While I still made some amusing newbie mistakes, I don't find it terribly compelling gameplay and it'd be lame to write it out, I think!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The problem is that including a "comeback" mechanism in a strategy game is, in a way, punishing the person for their effective planning and position by giving their weaker opponents an advantage.

I'd agree with the idea that the proper solution to a runaway is "talk to people and get them to gang up on the leader" but that can difficult to do from what I've seen, for some reason people will rarely agree to team up against the biggest power. I mean, in some ways it does make sense, at least up until the runaway runs them all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Then you breach a cavern and it ruins the whole aesthetic

• Locked thread