Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

AfroSquirrel posted:

He started going to PD Anonymous to get his life turned around, but now all that progress will be throne away with a single scout tap.

It's fundamentally unjust that the next 4 posts were not 'holy poo poo, nice one'.

I'm trying to remedy that here, but I'm only one goon.

:megadeath:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

namad posted:

Didn't medieval cultures didn't a lot of booze because clean water was so hard to come by? Makes some sense to me at least.

I'm Drink right? Because your supply. HEY FARTH GERENGI! Your wine is ... sup.

Sup.

sup.

Wanna throne?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

The Gentleman posted:

This seems like a flaw to be honest. It seems impossible to stop a blood nation that has gone late game, if they have invested well into their blood economy. You will be drowned by doom horrors.

One of the things I personally find interesting about the game is that as a pretender to godhood, you kind of determine whether you ascend via a golden age or an apocalypse. Every dom3 game I ever saw ended up being a race between legions of dead gods made sane by powerful magics fighting kings of the elemental planes in a race to get out ahead of something like the Cthulhu end-of-the-world wishers or blood sacrifice nations or, I guess, someone using a full court press of strategy map magic to hollow out someone else's wizard corps--like through burden of time vs humans or something.

If you get that runaway blood economy going and flood the world with nightmares, I kind of like the thought that your ascension is kind of the *last* one, and that there's no world left to god over afterwards. Like, you're a god with dominion, and that dominion needs followers to matter, but you just opened the floodgates to the plane of hungry mouths.

There's a lot of runaway strategies in the game. It's kind of a game of nothing-but run away strategies, because it doesn't have synchronous resources. Like if you play a 'tug' style game in an RTS, you're guaranteed opportunities to come back at set intervals. I think if you're going to have a game with the kind of hidden strategies that this one does, you'll always end up with a game arc where somebody runs away with it. The alternative is something like Diplomacy where it's impossible to have guile in the structure of the game--only in the moves you make. And this one has both, so that's even crazier.

And to chickenwing's point, blood is a slow starter and often has to balance pushing to that high level blood magic with getting other useful stuff on the way. Though, again, if you're mictlan and your sacred troops are good enough to carry you well into the mid game, it's not a big deal.

Dom 4 is very much a 'who would win in a fight between a bear and a shark' kind of game. Like, it depends on how deep the river is they fight in, whether the bear is just waking up from hibernating, and how many virgins the shark has to sacrifice in order to increase turmoil in the forest before it strikes.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Donkringel posted:

I like seeing "You fool! No!" Become part of the overall strategy.

Oh yeah. It would be incredible if dominions had a quality like Forbidden island, where as you go, more and more provinces become so utterly torn apart that you can't even use them or move through them--as a fallout from what you're describing.

Maybe the whole world falls away until all that's left are islands in the void, only able to spit at each other from afar. Sure, it would probably result in more 'draw' matches. Though, frankly, with all the teleporting and summoning and stuff in the late game, I would think it could work fine.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Speleothing posted:

Fortunately attack spells have limited ranges in this game, making it hard for an enemy's cap-only mages to spam attacks at lots of enemy provinces.

Still, it seems like at least having the possibility to do a tower-defense-esque strategy where you don't field a substantial army, but, instead, focus on spell casting enemy armies into oblivion as they penetrate your dominion could add some interesting variety. Plus someone mentioned rituals being kind of uninteresting right now, and setting up to have some kind of spell-based airstrike capability could be interesting.

As it stands, and I'm no expert, it feels like the best you can hope for is screwing with people by making their empty provinces go neutral or temporarily fall to you. Then they just send their guys by a turn later. It's almost like all you're really doing is forcing them to micromanage more. Which is a crazy gaslighting thing to do, and seems kind of meanspirited in a game that's already unwieldy the more it progresses.

It's a shame they didn't virtualize your mages between 3 and 4. I think that's the main thing I'd have liked to see. Sliders on mage recruitment, forging, summoning, and ritual casting, like for research, instead of a mage-by-mage micro. Instead of buying units and commanders separately, unify them into a single purchase where you buy your caster or commander with a bunch of guys from a fort. It'd even be a good opportunity to reign some poo poo in. I wonder how much jaguar shenanigans we'd see if you were forced to purchase an unimpressive commander with your unit of jaguar warriors. Or if you could only get your good researchers with a bunch of uninspiring units that cost too much upkeep.

I mean, I know a lot of people are going to just say 'that's not whta dom is about--it's about picking and choosing crazy combinations and getting in up to your elbows in the details', but I don't know. I think I hear about how XYZ is 'totally useless' so much from experienced players, I tend to wonder why they're even there, except as newbie traps, unless they show up because you have to buy 20X to get a Y or visa versa.

Certainly, a lot of the summons and some of the mercs work that way. It could be a cool way to make the game more accessible and diversify strategies.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

I Love You! posted:

Uh this is literally how I've won half a dozen games against other good players. It's super viable and I think modpud won like 3 straight games doing this. Have you even SEEN astral corruption/send horror or vengeful water or any of the various tower defense spells?

Apparently not! I'm stoked to, though.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Willie Tomg posted:

In the sense that he's fallen back to begin the truly tenacious defense?

Or, just... crumpling?

This is not the greatest and best neifelheim play in the world; this is just a tribute.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Since the toad change is forcing research up to B5, why not send lessers horrors? They mark, right? Or is that too slow a way to deal with it?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Can you blood-hunt the ocean for mergins?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Turin Turambar posted:

Imagine if in the UW patch they put virgin mermen slaves.

Sure, you could use them to summon inscubi.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
What are your hopes and dreams for the simian people of kailasa? If a high priest proposed a way to reduce unrest without diminishing your great strength, would you allow it to be ratified? As a Devi, do you feel like you have something extra to prove in the war between pretenders, beyond your divinity?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The game really doesn't hold up without people to play against. Which is a shame because last time I tried I totally wussed out in less than a week.

I had this plan about using Ermor's ethereal sacreds with death weapons (this is dom 3) to do some stuff and it turns out that it's fine for neutrals, but it won't get me very far against a person. Which is why you really need to play against people.

If you're not, you're just playing a really weird, clunky strategy game. But throw a savvy opponent in the mix and you're playing a weird, clunky, irritating strategy game that is also wonderful and cool. If you're not like me, and can actually be mature enough to watch your plans explode when someone uses a spell you didn't know about or understand or whatever.

I think I also exhausted myself by naming all my poo poo. You've got to pick your moment on that.

Weirdly, I subbed in for a C'tis guy who was wussing out in a *different* game at around the same time, and I had much more fun with that, despite having no idea what the gently caress to do with all those lizards. Other than, you know, make lizard puns.

Maybe the secret to the game is to start something, then when you want to go AI, just get a sub, and sub for someone else. Being thrown in the middle of someone else's mess and trying to salvage it lacks the 'oh no, my plans!' aspect.

So I guess the summary to this post is 'subs are great and good for the environment-it's player recycling'.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

jsoh posted:

they mean you use a slave matrix on some poor bastard with 200 hp and regen, i think.

It's like in X-Men days of future past, when they use Wolverine to go back in time because the process is so destructive to the brain.

Except wolverine is potentially a giant plant or squid.

Also, I remember now why the Lilli super LP seemed like it petered out. I'm rereading it right now and like *everybody* quit on a cliff hanger except one guy.

Lilli's turns:
I see Arco
Arco attacks!
Turkey Squad
Arco's communions... What will I do?!
** end **

Arco's turns:
I'm too big to fail!
Oh poo poo, jaguars
Hey, eat hot virtue.
Oh god turkeys
I'm making a communion!
** end **

Pan's turns:
Oh poo poo, Sauromatia.
Oh poo poo, Arco.
Oh poo poo, Mictlan.
I'm starting to infiltrate my forces...
** end **

Tien Chi quits right on the eve of a major battle with pan.

If not for that one guy, it really would have been a dead lp.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tulip posted:

This thread is absolutely dire.

Yeah. I find it vaguely interesting that, in a game where a nude, obese fertility idol can become a goddess and rule the world, the stat lines on troops with marginal differences are a huge problem. The game is trying to use myths as a vehicle for its design. The myths are often sexist. Or at any rate, conflict with our ideas of equality. I would have guessed that people who are into this game would be more interested in a conversation about it on that basis rather than the kind of any-discussion-about-gender-on-the-internet thread going on there.

I also don't get how flipping gender on every unit in a faction fixes anything. I would think the right way is to figure out how to do a random magic paths style thing where you assign gender by coin-flip to anything you recruit.

Heh. It'd be kind of cool if you could get freespawn by keeping breeding pairs of some summoned creatures on hand. Burden of time + an economy based around breeding monsters could be kind of interesting as a strategy. Growth scales could increase the likelyhood of the freespawn.

Edit: \/\/\/ I think you mean 'WickerFem'.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 22, 2014

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

i81icu812 posted:

Poe's law is an amazing thing to see in action.
Yeah. For my part, I'm just glad a cool person is doing a great LP. That's the proof that, pink, brown, testosteroned, vaginaed; We're all wonderful and can make great threads.

Let's support great threads; each in our own special way.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I think this is mostly a UI problem. You don't want too many instructions, because, hey, sure, that bogs it down. But you don't have enough control over what should, really, be part of the game. It's kind of cool to drain mages to death for the sake of casting spells. It's less cool to have it done for you.

I think the system should be simplified into Tactic, Target, Preferred, and Forbidden.

You open your deal, and there's the position interface like before. Your options for tactics are

Attack
Hold + attack
Spells
Hold +spells
Retreat
Hold + retreat
Guard Commander

Then you pick the target:
Rear
Large
Archers
Nearest
Maybe throw in more options that are researchable--not the 'commanders' one, per se, but something like 'astral power sources' or 'living' maybe.

Then you pick a list of up to Path levels of 'Preferred' spells:
So an S1 can remember to be a communion slave.
An S2 can remember to communion master and brain attack
S2 E1 can remember to comm. master, brain attack, and reinvigoration
etc. This let's you pick a big list for an important caster SC, and introduces a new, interesting element to higher level casters; they can remember to *do* more. Or maybe you need to do it like the unadjusted pathes--so the guy who's actually a 3 but has a +2 bonus doesn't get 5. Or maybe it's total levels /2 and agnostic. Maybe it's highest path. You know--whatever. It's an interesting new possibility for balance.

Then forbidden list.
Don't ever cast raise skeleton
Don't ever cast uh... summon storm power.

Then the behavior is adjusted;
If attack, approach target and attack.
If hold and attack, look for preferred spells that are buffs to cast. Then attack as soon as you're ready.
If hold and spells, then cast buffs, then cast attacks.
Etc for the other options.
Stuff on the forbidden list is never cast.

If nothing on the preferred list is possible, and the forbidden list excludes your other options, go off script.

Then you're not assembling everything in a structure. You're saying 'ok, get this stuff out of the way, and then do something else'. A creature with *less* preferred buffs and hold+attack or cast will start attacking sooner. So you balance the tradeoff of getting on the offensive a little faster with being unprepared. You vastly simplify initial instructions, because now you're just maintaining a list of preferred casts. You could also have a *Default* tactic for each commander type. So that when you hatch your 20th Oreiad she's scripted to twist fate, and spam lightning. Or whatever. The saved tactic menu could also be changed to a drag and drop so you multiselect units, and drag them onto a menu of configured tactics you've got docked in a pane on the right, and you know that they're all on communion slave duty. Or whatever.

With Forbidden you can push off the difficulty with stuff like this raise dead spam without ruining the unpredictability of the scripting system; it's still a *little* unpredictable, because, hey, you're forbidding this categorically, and maybe it's not something you want to forbid categorically. Maybe you'll accidentally make an off-script situation because you'll forbid the only viable option and then the unit does whatever.

I've been stoking an urge to redo this game and mess with the UI for a while, but I can't fathom what it would take to duplicate the armies and rules.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I still like that the units are fairly dumb. It builds up the idea of a powerful terrifying creature trying to become a god. Your worshipers are, through combinations of fear, awe, zealotry, and limited perspective, prone to make mistakes.

If it were possible, different personalities or intelligence categories for casters would be intriguing. I always liked the unit behavior/posture toggles in some modern RTSes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Kin33 posted:

Your profile pic gives me extreme anxiety.

Clearly you'd prefer this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread