Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if you don't cast utterdark and use demonic armies led by mandehas this let's play will be a gigantic failure and i will be very disappointed in you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Neruz posted:

Good luck casting Utterdark without taking high death on a pretender.

no excuses

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for anyone new to the whole dominions thing, you should check out the unit inspector and poke through all the weird nations and assorted junk people can use. also lists spells, items and magical sites. it's fairly easy to navigate. just remember to keep the dropdown box under nation choice set to 'available' if you want to view all the units specific and relevant to that nation.

http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

having a were-form also helps matters

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mictlan is fairly strong in every age. in a game where a nation's quality can vary wildly from age to age that's pretty good.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gridlocked posted:

I gotta say modpud this is making me want to buy this and waste hours of my life getting mad as I struggle to figure out how the game works while proclaiming I am indeed having fun.

Kinda like I do with DF.

dom4 is pretty much the dwarf fortress of 4x games but toady somehow manages to make more sense than illwinter with what he does

go figure

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

one day i await an lp where someone plays asphodel, That One Popkill Nation People Don't Loathe

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jsoh posted:

ive been proselytizing how stupidly overpowered asphodel is for a while but people dont seem to be coming around to it.

what's not to like??

1. good sacred candidates for a bless
2. passable freespawn where the scales needed for more aren't annoying (unlike maenads and turmoil/order)
3. special blesses for use on said freespawn
4. great summonable carrion units from turn 1
5. fuckin everything but minotaurs are stealthy

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jBrereton posted:

Also the paths to easily get a ton of globals, dome spells, and summons like Tartarians and Lamia Queens who can get you into most kinds of magic you already don't get. And massive native gem income, and a very respectable non-freespawn military, why not.

i want to get la pythium working one day by cranking out lamia queens who will efficiently crank out lamias. they're some good poo poo, and asphodel's paths give them access to a lot of neat stuff.

gently caress blood, nature 4 lyfe

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I Love You! posted:

LA Pyth is a really good nation

are you lying to me. people say otherwise.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as much as people love to go on about maenads for pangaea, taking turmoil on them when they mostly need gold is like shooting yourself in the foot

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's hard to sum up every single way it's different because a lot has to do with overall balance and the meta in general. basically, reverse communions no longer exist, the days of 'everyone gears up a supercombatant and rams them into each other's' are over with, thugs and actual troops are more important because of that, there's no more tax fuckery on provinces, etc. etc.

the way the game is played in the dom3 lps probably won't fly anymore. like, supercombatants aren't useless, but you can't just rely on them for everything. not to mention that there's all the nations in dom4 that weren't in 3. i'm probably missing a fair chunk of the finer details but that's a really basic overview.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i keep forgetting that thrones are a new thing. games don't stretch out to unbearable slogs anymore because of them, thankfully. also, disciples mode is interesting if nothing else, and it'd be cool to see an lp for that sometime.

ban dragons.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i came for the potential dick pics and i was not disappointed, to be honest

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's actually a spell that lets a caster transform itself into various critters. sometimes you can luck out and get something like an ettin chassis but with good magic paths, but other times it'll be something halfway worthless.

either that or their brain is fried in the process.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a fun thing to note is that mages can actually get certain stats based on what their magic paths are. nature mages in particular can innately provide extra supply to whatever province they're in, so if you have enough then even things like lanka's demons won't be eating it all up. lanka has some small amount of nature but it's not enough to counteract their troops all that well, so the bags of wine are pretty handy.

some other magic paths mostly deal with age fuckery, like fire magic shortening the caster's average lifespan and death magic lessening the effects of old age on a caster. nature magic also has the benefit of extending a caster's average lifespan. i don't remember all the specific bonuses and whatever that the paths give, but it's a neat little touch.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

:illwinter:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Speleothing posted:

drat, there's a lot of blood powers (and blood minors) in this game.

Lanka, Mictlan, Niefelheim, Hinnom, Pangaea, and even Abyssia

if there's not a blood nation or 5 in a game at any given time then something is wrong

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

despite the thousands(???) of various units in the game the only ones that really matter in the end are the ones that can fart out magic. properly used magic can decimate entire armies and/or swing the game in your favor pretty handily. as much as blesses can be important, they mean jack poo poo against properly equipped casters guided by players who know what the hell they're doing.

basically what this means is that the effectiveness of a nation begins and ends at how good their mages may or may not be

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

when i said all that the assumption was that someone would be trying to use mostly bless tactics w/ little to no mage support against someone with mages who have at least some mild research. the game is still ultimately decided on powerful/well-used mages and they're straight-up what you need to win unless everyone else is a dumbass or is playing a weak as hell nation (probably weak due to their lack of good/useful mages) because illwinter has no idea what balance is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd say that most of the people in the game have a pretty good idea of a lot of the strategies the various nations can pull off, so it's less about surprising each other and more about just using everything effectively. also, you know, the whole 'the actual game is a fair little bit ahead of the let's play' thing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the secret is that there can only ever be one winner and any sort of deal you make will eventually be broken

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gridlocked posted:

I would chat more in thread but I am currently trying to learn how to effectively EA C'tis since I picked this up last week due to this LP and decided lizard necromancer-Egypt was the coolest.

I am so bad at this game though.

c'tis is rad as gently caress in all 3 ages so you made a good choice. i highly recommend them to any new players since they provide a good basis for learning various strats.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this lp is about as dead as most of the forces in a typical game of dominions

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Please Summon Mandehas

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sea provinces are definitely worth less overall but they come with the benefit of being loving hard to attack if your enemy isn't a nation that has easy waterbreathing access

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can attest that playing dom4 while hammered is asking for trouble because even in an AI game you'll start to forget a lot of the little things you should be doing to be successful, and dom4 is seriously all about the little things

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the mandehas have been summoned and i am satisfied

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

generally the only real way to counter powerful poo poo in dominions is to bring out your own powerful poo poo and see if you can out-damage your opponent before they can damage you enough to basically hamstring your forces and roll over whatever you have left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if i make my late age asphodel nation between then and now you should totes run an lp with them

• Locked thread