Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
makes sense

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

jesus gently caress

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

yeah that's totally common sense bro

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

1939: 51% of the community agrees that Adolf of the family Hitler should be given a scammer tag

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
those letters are hosed

ninja edit: lol i just realized what's wrong with them, whoever made that put the outline on the letters' inside edges instead of the outside and it looks like garbage

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sweevo posted:

1939: 51% of the community agrees that Adolf of the family Hitler should be given a scammer tag

1940: a new guy named "Badolf Gitler" comes into the media promising a bright future, hundreds sign up for his service

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sweevo posted:

he tried to scammer tag a whole race

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiflAB-N8YQ&t=95s

why does obrien have to be so closed minded

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Ripoff posted:

Badolf Gitler

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wheany posted:

if I looking for bitcoin
him name is hopkin green bitcoin
I lost my bitcoin
329-3228
Love, Terry
P.S. I'll find my bitcoin
Who took my bitcoin
Who found my bitcoin
2012 15th Ave. S
11>

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Are merchants dumb? Coinbase and BitPay should run seminars on why their merchants should keep their bitcoins. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 44 minutes ago by btceuro

Seriously. These bitcoins make up what 1% of their total sales? What they can't keep 1% of their revenue in Bitcoin?

A huge company like Expedia can't hold a couple million dollars worth of Bitcoin?

Idiotic CEOs.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Bitcoin QT client uploads Gigs per month, is this normal? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 minutes ago by mickygta

I blew way out of my ISP data plan and, under examination I found out that my QT wallet uploads Gigs of data every month. Is that normal? It's a fresh install of Win7 and that latest version of the client. I'm talking like 30+ gigs every month, verified using netbalancer software for data monitoring.

[–]Chakra_Scientist 1 point just now

yes normal, i used 41 gigs upload in 10 days

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Bitcoin lapdance at rhino (self.Bitcoin)

submitted an hour ago by pomonachris

I talked a stipper at the rhino into accepting bitcoin for a lapdance last night. She had the patience to download blockchain app and create a wallet. Was a good time. Best .029 bitcoin I've ever spent. My friend took a pic but not sure the ettiquette on posting it here

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Robawesome posted:

Are merchants dumb? Coinbase and BitPay should run seminars on why their merchants should keep their bitcoins. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 44 minutes ago by btceuro

Seriously. These bitcoins make up what 1% of their total sales? What they can't keep 1% of their revenue in Bitcoin?

A huge company like Expedia can't hold a couple million dollars worth of Bitcoin?

Idiotic CEOs.

i'm the private, for-profit enterprise that's expected to sit on 1% of its pre-tax revenue

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Robawesome posted:

Bitcoin lapdance at rhino (self.Bitcoin)

submitted an hour ago by pomonachris

I talked a stipper at the rhino into accepting bitcoin for a lapdance last night. She had the patience to download blockchain app and create a wallet. Was a good time. Best .029 bitcoin I've ever spent. My friend took a pic but not sure the ettiquette on posting it here

i'm the stripper who has to cash out $15 of pogs. hopefully she got him to pay her real money before she played along.

e: maybe getting a girl to try bitcoin is their sex in the champagne room.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Robawesome posted:

Bitcoin QT client uploads Gigs per month, is this normal? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 minutes ago by mickygta

I blew way out of my ISP data plan and, under examination I found out that my QT wallet uploads Gigs of data every month. Is that normal? It's a fresh install of Win7 and that latest version of the client. I'm talking like 30+ gigs every month, verified using netbalancer software for data monitoring.

[–]Chakra_Scientist 1 point just now

yes normal, i used 41 gigs upload in 10 days
lol

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

so is it downloading > 30 gb a month just from blockchain growth or does bitcoin's reference client rebroadcast everything by default?

i mean, i guess that's sensible for a peer to peer network that's small, but for one as bloated as the blockchain, yikes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

TVarmy posted:

so is it downloading > 30 gb a month just from blockchain growth or does bitcoin's reference client rebroadcast everything by default?

i mean, i guess that's sensible for a peer to peer network that's small, but for one as bloated as the blockchain, yikes.

it's like bitcoin wasn't meant to scale or something

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TVarmy posted:

if u have the whole 20 gb blockchain, anyone else trying to sync up the blockchain may download substantial amounts from you.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

It's a torrent

traffic goes in traffic goes out

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

How do we create demand for bitcoin? (self.BitcoinMarkets)

submitted 28 minutes ago by easyrandomguyLong-term Holder

The US petrodollar creates demand by

being the only currency accepted for oil.

American soft power (international influence through media).

How do we do the same for bitcoin?

Bitcoin is the only currency accepted in the deepweb.

Bitcoin soft power...? <<< This is what I want to focus on. How can we create demand for bitcoin by using soft power, using traditional media outlets to create international demand?

[–]Bit_By_BitLong-term Holder [score hidden] 19 minutes ago

1- Create your own demand by buying it.

2- Convince other people to buy it.

3- Convince enough people to buy and hodl, and then it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

4- Wait until the next block reward haling and pray that it doesn't go to $0 between now and then

So, if you want BTC price to increase, put your money where your mouth is, and buy more. For price to increase though, you will have to hodl the coins.

[–]Bit_By_BitLong-term Holder [score hidden] 9 minutes ago

Buy enough yourself to make the price rise. As a failed bitcoin "beat-salesman", no matter how much I explained the utility and importance of bitcoin, I was ALWAYS countered with "but isn't the price down 50%?", and I couldn't say anything back to that point...

People are dumb, they aren't interested in technology/change. They're interested in getting richer. So, buy more coins, and price will increase.

Maybe focus your efforts on high networth individuals with a lazy $1m laying around that they can afford to lock up for 3 years.

If Bitcoin is going to be a success, rich people have to get behind it first before poor people can be enriched by it. Problem is, no rich person is going to stick their neck out to defend their principles. Saying that they're principles, ethical, moral and sustainable is one thing, but backing that with your money is a completely other thing.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the internet of things

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Robawesome posted:

easyrandomguyLong-term Holder

Bit_By_BitLong-term Holder

is "Long-term Holder" some sort of badge or do bitlords just like to advertise their investment strategies in their reddit login?

speaking of which, the gbs thread has a quote from

quote:

[–]GR8vag4coins -5 points 8 hours ago

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

is "Long-term Holder" some sort of badge or do bitlords just like to advertise their investment strategies in their reddit login?

speaking of which, the gbs thread has a quote from

it's a "flair" that appears beside your username. bearish, bullish, longterm holder or bitcoin skeptic

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013
I just found this in the BFL suckers thread.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wow, Bitcoiners really do believe that putting all of their bitcoin under a mattress and never doing anything with it is somehow good for bitcoin

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

i think our big misunderstanding is that bitcoiners don't mean "be your own FDIC-insured organization that lends and borrows money from customers."

they actually mean, "be your own ceramic pig with a coin slot under your bed. and if you smash it, this shows you are weak willed. hodl. and if it's stolen, you should have hidden it better."

QuarkJets posted:

Wow, Bitcoiners really do believe that putting all of their bitcoin under a mattress and never doing anything with it is somehow good for bitcoin

i think the implicit statement is, "it's important you don't spend bitcoin, as literally anyone smarter than you will cash out ASAP."

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dr. Honked posted:

the internet of things

the blockchain of blockchains

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

it's literally just " the price keeps dropping because idiots keep selling. if these jerks didn't sell then the price wouldn't drop"

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
i'm tempted to troll the bitcoin for merchants guy in my city. I know him a bit, and I guess he's been interviewed a lot as a merchant who accepts bit coin saying it would be a draw to this town to have a whole bunch of businesses that took bit coin.

http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/news/new-city-network-looks-to-bitcoins-1.1265553

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
don't touch the poop. don't have a bitcoin thread any more. the laffs are gone, move on. ok bye

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Honked posted:

don't touch the poop. don't have a bitcoin thread any more. the laffs are gone, move on. ok bye

rip your crme firend

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
owner of a bitcoin fart

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
there was a desk handing out bitcoin buttons and pamphlets and poo poo at the con, this was the best one they had

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

TVarmy posted:

i think our big misunderstanding is that bitcoiners don't mean "be your own FDIC-insured organization that lends and borrows money from customers."

I had a bitcoiner on IRC try to argue that paper wallets made FDIC insurance unnecessary, and that they provided all the same safeties. I couldn't figure out what to even say to someone that stupid.

Of course, that same day I had someone insist that people investing in Pirate's scheme were not stupid and really couldn't have seen that result coming.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Honked posted:

owner of a bitcoin fart
much better than a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ryde posted:

Of course, that same day I had someone insist that people investing in Pirate's scheme were not stupid and really couldn't have seen that result coming.

how much did they invest

• Locked thread